PDA

View Full Version : Murray in talks

Tranent Hibby
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM
In my opinion getting Murray tied up for another contract is a great bit of business. Was clearly the driving force behind the team yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8440031.stm

Wotherspiniesta
04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Brilliant news. Hope they can sort something out :agree:

MyJo
04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
does this mean that those proclaiming how ridiculous it was that Murray was not being offered a decent deal to stay were talking sheeeite seeing as this is reporting that contract talks have "just started"

:dunno:

Dibben
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I just hope we can get a deal thrashed out!!!

BH.

Baw187
04-01-2010, 05:40 PM
:thumbsup: Top drawer. Lets hope he signs.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Thats just rubbish, I dont believe for one minute talks have just begun. Hibs will not want Murray to leave again for nowt, and talks will have been ongoing for months.

jacomo
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't want to hear about this. It reminds me of the last time Murray ran his contract down, with interviews saying "he hadn't made a decision yet" right up until the end of the season, when he walked over to Ibrox.

If he doesn't want to stay, he should say so in the next week or so and we can move on. If he does, the next news I want is that he has signed a contract.

Hibs should make an offer that matches the top earners in the squad, though.

sadtom
04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Really hope Hibs tie him to the club for a good number of years.
We probably will never be in a position that we can hang on to 'star' players. We will always have to bring young players through and try to add bits and pieces of quality when and where we can.
This means having a fairly quick turnaround of players, which can be good for keeping it fresh. However i do think its important to have a couple of experienced, commited, steady performers who know what the club is all about and can give a touch of stability and continuity to the side.
Ian has perhaps made his money and had a shot at playing down south and is maybe happy to settle here.
I think/hope IM is destined to see out the next 6-7 years with the Hibees.

hibiedude
04-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Murray is the driving force of Hibs and a decent contract is a must or this guy will walk

Big Frank
04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
He should be earning the same as our Riordans and our Stokes.

To lose a great player and a Hibby with real passion and fire in his belly would be a disgrace:agree:

EasterRoad4Ever
04-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Bit worrying that we're still in talks, now he's free to speak to other clubs. His agent will be using this as leverage to get best deal for Ian, and Hibs will be able to say "we did all we could" when he walks away to a lower div English Club for 50% higher wages.

Jim44
04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
To lose Murray a second time would be unforgivable. I think that Murray's return to Hibs was a combination of a result of his fondness for the club and the fact that his career for a variety of reasons was in/heading into limbo. Hibs was a real lifeline for him and I'd be astounded if he wasn't prepared to stay at ER for the forseeable future as long as he is offered an acceptable contract. My worry, however, is that Petrie will try to take advantage of the situation and get him on the cheap. IMHO, any rumours of Murray's reluctance to extend his contract probably stem from his resolve not to be taken for a ride.

Hibs Spain
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
In my opinion getting Murray tied up for another contract is a great bit of business. Was clearly the driving force behind the team yesterday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8440031.stmReally got to keep him.Do you think Hogg's embarrrassed to be captain when he's about?

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
does this mean that those proclaiming how ridiculous it was that Murray was not being offered a decent deal to stay were talking sheeeite seeing as this is reporting that contract talks have "just started"

:dunno:

Err., no :cool2: Did you believe Whittaker was injured for weeks before signing for the Huns or Bamba had a knee injury when he no-showed at Tynie or that Maka was injured yesterday :wink:

Davy Mac
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't want to hear about this. It reminds me of the last time Murray ran his contract down, with interviews saying "he hadn't made a decision yet" right up until the end of the season, when he walked over to Ibrox.

If he doesn't want to stay, he should say so in the next week or so and we can move on. If he does, the next news I want is that he has signed a contract.

Hibs should make an offer that matches the top earners in the squad, though.

Good post, couldnae agree more.

Nice one:agree:

MrSmith
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Err., no :cool2: Did you believe Whittaker was injured for weeks before signing for the Huns or Bamba had a knee injury when he no-showed at Tynie or that Maka was injured yesterday :wink:

Elucidate??

rainman
04-01-2010, 07:31 PM
If Yogi recognises Murray's value to the team, Petrie will give him the money to stay.

Petrie's not going walk into talks and bend over to Murray's demands, they'll find a solution IF Yogi has given Petrie the nod.

I suspect his injuries and fitness are playing a part in the low offer. How much longer are we going to get out of him? By all accounts he needs half a day to warm up and then warm down again.

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Elucidate??

IM has had an initial offer and talks 'started' aint accurate

MrSmith
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Thank you.

It was the smiley at the end of your sentence that got me! :wink:

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you.

It was the smiley at the end of your sentence that got me! :wink:

:wink:

Cropley10
04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Worried that the Board think they can low-ball Nid cos he won't want to move again. A dangerous game IMO - could well be a real false economy. I acknowledge his health issues, but it certainly doesn't affect his commitment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CheesyHibby
05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Think we need to do all we can to keep IM. Along with Bamba and one or two others he has been our most consistent performer this year, regularly getting 7/10 etc. Does anyone know how serious his injury-proneness (inventing words!) is?

Stevie Reid
05-01-2010, 12:54 PM
My biggest fear in all this is the fact that Ian is 28, his wife is expecting their first baby and this will be the last major contract that he will sign - future security will be paramount.

As we all know, IM could earn 3 or 4 times his wages down South. So, say he is currently on £2.5K (I have no idea if that figure is accurate, btw), he could realistically expect to paid £7.5K a week for the length of his next 3/4 year contract. That means that even if Hibs were to go all out and offer him £4 or 5K a week, he could realistically expect to earn in the region of an extra £500K down South, not including any signing on fee, over the length of his next contract (perhaps even more than that).

I would hate to lose IM again but could understand how it could happen without being able to blame either Hibs or Murray himself, should the worst case scenario transpire.

Cropley10
05-01-2010, 01:06 PM
My biggest fear in all this is the fact that Ian is 28, his wife is expecting their first baby and this will be the last major contract that he will sign - future security will be paramount.

As we all know, IM could earn 3 or 4 times his wages down South. So, say he is currently on £2.5K (I have no idea if that figure is accurate, btw), he could realistically expect to paid £7.5K a week for the length of his next 3/4 year contract. That means that even if Hibs were to go all out and offer him £4 or 5K a week, he could realistically expect to earn in the region of an extra £500K down South, not including any signing on fee, over the length of his next contract (perhaps even more than that).

I would hate to lose IM again but could understand how it could happen without being able to blame either Hibs or Murray himself, should the worst case scenario transpire.

Except that I'm not sure he will/would get a 4 year contract at his age (and with some health issues in the background). I fear RP will play hard ball...

Baw187
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Except that I'm not sure he will/would get a 4 year contract at his age (and with some health issues in the background). I fear RP will play hard ball...

:agree: Certainly not at the wages quoted. Changing times, even down in the Championship. Not sure many of those teams would take a risk on him when there are plenty of young players that they could use as utility players.

He's great for us, but he's SPL level IMO and I think Hibs should offer him better security than most other suitors.

Stevie Reid
05-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Fair point, certainly - but I was just raising the possibility, and it's not entirely unrealistic.

brydekirk
05-01-2010, 01:31 PM
if he is looking for security, hibs is the club. what he might or might not get elsewhere is pie in the sky. plus his family are already settled in edinburgh. :agree:

Stevie Reid
05-01-2010, 01:39 PM
if he is looking for security, hibs is the club. what he might or might not get elsewhere is pie in the sky. plus his family are already settled in edinburgh. :agree:

The suggestion that IM could earn a few thousand pounds a week extra may be conjecture, but it is hardly 'pie in the sky'.

If it was as straightforward a decision as many on here are suggesting, he probably would've signed a new contract months ago.

brydekirk
05-01-2010, 01:56 PM
The suggestion that IM could earn a few thousand pounds a week extra may be conjecture, but it is hardly 'pie in the sky'.

If it was as straightforward a decision as many on here are suggesting, he probably would've signed a new contract months ago.

due to his health problems, not many teams will offer IM a 3/4 yr deal @ £6 - £7.5 grand a week, as has been suggested. imo at least.

Stevie Reid
05-01-2010, 02:00 PM
due to his health problems, not many teams will offer IM a 3/4 yr deal @ £6 - £7.5 grand a week, as has been suggested. imo at least.

Fair dos mate.

Ultimately I was just trying to highlight that I think it's possible that Hibs could go all out to keep IM but it could still be understandable for him to leave.

Fingers crossed he'll be here for the rest of his playing career.

cwilliamson85
05-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I may get slated for this but...

If he gets offered the same as the top earners and refuses it good riddance to him. Let him go away to a lower league club for nothing and give everyone at HFC a big slap in the face.

I hope he stays but I don’t want to the club to follow other SPL clubs and keep players on ridiculous wages and get into debt.

mim
05-01-2010, 02:58 PM
If Yogi recognises Murray's value to the team, Petrie will give him the money to stay.

Yogi does.

"I am desperate to keep Ian Murray at the club," Hughes told the Edinburgh Evening News.

"He's a versatile player who always gives you 100%. He's everything that you could want from a player.

"Hopefully we are getting closer to reaching an agreement, although obviously these things take time."

RoslinInstHibby
05-01-2010, 03:01 PM
the contract is a long way off from being signed:boo hoo:

EasterRoad4Ever
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM

The world has changed in the last 12 months - even the football world. Most clubs will no longer be held to ransom by players and realise that they have to live within their means. The OF money has gone. The Yams can't find two pennies to rub together, and no other SPL club could match Hibs wage offer. As long Ian's agent realises that, then we're in with a chance of holding onto him.

In footballing terms, playing for Hibs over the next 3 or 4 years could be exciting times.

EasterRoad4Ever
05-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Just a thought... would Ian qualify for a testimonial game if he signed up for another 2 or 3 years with Hibs ? If so, could this be part of any package Petrie can offer.

WindyMiller
05-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Just a thought... would Ian qualify for a testimonial game if he signed up for another 2 or 3 years with Hibs ? If so, could this be part of any package Petrie can offer.

It may be possible, given that he originally signed, IIRC, in 1999. :dunno:

Cropley10
05-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Says who?

And how d'you ken?

RoslinInstHibby
05-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Says who?

And how d'you ken?

cannae give a name, but lets just say its 1 million percent trustworthy:wink:

franks
05-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I think IM would love to stay at Hibs as long as he is given a fair offer. I would put him amogst our highest earners for a 2 year contract extension.

Dashing Bob S
05-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Heard he's holding out for a replica Petrie tache, and set of Yogi plastic choppers.