PDA

View Full Version : Ch & rb

Expecting Rain
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
We need a centre half and a right back asap and we`ll stroll to third place at the end of the season.

number 27
04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
We need a centre half and a right back asap and we`ll stroll to third place at the end of the season.

Trouble is that these positions always seem to need strengthening and we still dont appear to be anywhere near to actually doing it. A new Rb was a priority in the summer and surely we must bring someone in during this window at all costs.

keep the faith
04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
thats why Barr would have been an ideal signing. He can play in both those positions and is also the leader type we can do with accross the park.

Shame he is looking for bigger bucks.

ahibby
04-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes we do need a CH and RB and many of us including me said that before the season began. Funny isn't it not.

Andy74
04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes we do need a CH and RB and many of us including me said that before the season began. Funny isn't it not.

What's funny about it?

If the right players weren't available what should we have done?

The team was never going to be built in one transfer window and will never really be finished, we just need to keep trying to add the right quality but they have to be right for the medium to long term and not just people to fill positions you think need strengthening even if they aren't good enough.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
What's funny about it?

The team was never going to be built in one transfer window and will never really be finished, we just need to keep trying to add the right quality but they have to be right for the medium to long term and not just people to fill positions you think need strengthening even if they aren't good enough.

Yip, agree with that. We have to remember Yogi has had 1 window to work on transfers. He's just started another, and replaced the bomb scare keeper, and will strengthen other positions. Just think how bad we were last season, and just look were we are now. :top marks

WindyMiller
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM

To replace or play alongside Hoggy? :devil:

Speedway
04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Stack

Barr
Anderson
Bamba
Murray

does look quite strong doesn't it?

Cocaine&Caviar
04-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Stack

Barr
Anderson
Bamba
Murray

If we were able to have that back 5 at the club, we also look even stronger when you consider the back ups of Smith, Hogg, Hanlon and Wotherspoon...

Dibben
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Stack

Barr
Anderson
Bamba
Murray

We can only hope and pray!

BH.

Andy74
04-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Stack

Barr
Anderson
Bamba
Murray

I don't think Hughes ever played Barr at right back though. That was May's idea and hasn't he moved him back to centre half?

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:10 PM
What's funny about it?

You know that Hibs tried to get a RB and CH during the summer do you?

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:15 PM

I have no idea, did we, who were they?

Andy74
04-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Is that what I said? :confused:

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM

That's what I'm asking, I dunno, but it seemed to me seven months ago that is were we should be strengthening as well as midfield. Seems like midfield was sorted but I'm still far from happy with the defence situation, but I shouldn't be complaining apparently.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
That's what I'm asking, I dunno, but it seemed to me seven months ago that is were we should be strengthening as well as midfield. Seems like midfield was sorted but I'm still far from happy with the defence situation, but I shouldn't be complaining apparently.

Perhaps the manager is trying to get players in for those positions. Personally i cant understand why you are far from happy with our defence, how many goals have we let in? We are one of only 3 clubs in the SPL with + goal average, and remember, the new manager has had one window to work with.

Andy74
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM

After one window, no, you shouldn't. We brought in some very good quality in positions we needed it. Yes, we also needed other areas and still do, but you can only bring players in if the ones you want are available.

Building the team will take a bit of time.

Who are you suggesting should have been brought in and what was their availability like?

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Depends on how you understand your statement you did say 'If the right players weren't available etc...'

Some might take that to mean that we tried but the right players weren't available. It could also mean that we didn't try I guess. Either way in a communication to Hibs during last summer I said I thought we needed to fix the RB and CH situation (with players coming in). Someone has mentioned it again in this thread seven or eight months later and that's what I find ironic. It's not my job to find players for Hibs but I think I can see at times were we are weak. I have liked what I have seen in Wotherspoon although he isn't really a RB but does a decent job there. I was wrong about Bamba in that in the main he has done a good job at CB, better than I thought he would but IMO those two positions are still our weakest.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Depends on how you understand your statement you did say 'If the right players weren't available etc...'

Some might take that to mean that we tried but the right players weren't available. It could also mean that we didn't try I guess. Either way in a communication to Hibs during last summer I said I thought we needed to fix the RB and CH situation (with players coming in). Someone has mentioned it again in this thread seven or eight months later and that's what I find ironic. It's not my job to find players for Hibs but I think I can see at times were we are weak. I have liked what I have seen in Wotherspoon although he isn't really a RB but does a decent job there. I was wrong about Bamba in that in the main he has done a good job at CB, better than I thought he would but IMO those two positions are still our weakest.

No i didn't? Also i disagree, we are not weak, well not if you read the league table, and the goals against column.:confused:

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Perhaps the manager is trying to get players in for those positions. Personally i cant understand why you are far from happy with our defence, how many goals have we let in? We are one of only 3 clubs in the SPL with + goal average, and remember, the new manager has had one window to work with.

I accept that and your stats stand up but I've said in other posts that is IMO where we are weak. That's my opinion and I am entitled to be unhappy that we havent' filled positions that I felt we should have a while ago. The OP shows that I am not alone.

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:40 PM
No i didn't? Also i disagree, we are not weak, well not if you read the league table, and the goals against column.:confused:

Someone is getting things twisted maybe it's me but I thought I was quoting Andy74 and not you. I quoted you by mistake should have been Andy.

Andy74
04-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Nice of you to write to Hibs to point out the manager's job to him, I'm sure that helped.

What I find strange is that you seem to be taking the stance that no-one came in so no-one except you it seems knew we needed anything in those positions.

There are other explanations. Firstly Bamba was outstanding in pre season and filled the Jones gap no problem. His position in midfield was covered by midfield signings.

We also emptied DVZ so there was an appreciation that he wasn't good enough for right back. Kevin McCann was coming back to challenge McCormick for the position and Wotherspoon was also tried there with success before the end of the last window.

So, there could well have been a feeling that with the likes of Hanlon, Thicot, Stevenson able to cover for either centre back and left back with Murray being flexible enough to play anwhere in the back 4 that we could see it out until January and asess then who was available that was better than we have.

Hughes and Rice go to games all over Europe each and every week and have already said they want to strengthen every area of the pitch. They also know who will be available this moth or who might be avaiable on pre contracts.

I'm sorry, but i'm not buying any suggestion that any of the management team just weren't aware of any requirement, didn't have a plan to cope in the meantime or didn't bother looking whilst you were ahead of your time in being able to point it out to them.

Also, our defensive record is one of the best in the UK!

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I accept that and your stats stand up but I've said in other posts that is IMO where we are weak. That's my opinion and I am entitled to be unhappy that we havent' filled positions that I felt we should have a while ago. The OP shows that I am not alone.

You are completely ignoring were we were last season, and were we are now. If we had brought in a centre half, and a right back, we probably would not have stokes and miller. You can only do so much with one transfer window, and limited cash. And what Yogi has done so far, has been just short of a miracle. FFS look how far we have come in such a short space of time. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Someone is getting things twisted maybe it's me but I thought I was quoting Andy74 and not you. I quoted you by mistake should have been Andy.

No problem. :greengrin

Hibs Spain
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
To replace or play alongside Hoggy? :devil:Jonny Boy?? Not sure how it's written .. Made an assessment of Hogg in another post that identified his problem areas in a well put together post that reflected my views better than mine:agree:

Andy74
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM

It may be your opinion but no, you are not entitled to be unhappy that each and every position we need to change has not been done yet. Hughes has been in the door about 6 months and it takes some time to change a squad for any number of reasons.

I think or defesive record and the fact we are so far clear in thord already shows that the decisions made so far have been spot on.

Hopefully when we do get a new centre half and a right back, whenever that is, they will be of the sort of quaity we already have brought in.

That's what's important, not whether it could have been done 6 months ago. If it could have been done, it would have been.

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Nice of you to write to Hibs to point out the manager's job to him, I'm sure that helped.

What I find strange is that you seem to be taking the stance that no-one came in so no-one except you it seems knew we needed anything in those positions.

There are other explanations. Firstly Bamba was outstanding in pre season and filled the Jones gap no problem. His position in midfield was covered by midfield signings.

We also emptied DVZ so there was an appreciation that he wasn't good enough for right back. Kevin McCann was coming back to challenge McCormick for the position and Wotherspoon was also tried there with success before the end of the last window.

So, there could well have been a feeling that with the likes of Hanlon, Thicot, Stevenson able to cover for either centre back and left back with Murray being flexible enough to play anwhere in the back 4 that we could see it out until January and asess then who was available that was better than we have.

Hughes and Rice go to games all over Europe each and every week and have already said they want to strengthen every area of the pitch. They also know who will be available this moth or who might be avaiable on pre contracts.

I'm sorry, but i'm not buying any suggestion that any of the management team just weren't aware of any requirement, didn't have a plan to cope in the meantime or didn't bother looking whilst you were ahead of your time in being able to point it out to them.

Nice of you to say so and also to presume wrongly that it was the manager that I contacted. Also nice of you to presume that I made first contact. Nice of you to tell me that I shouldn't be sore that we haven't strengthened areas which I thought and still do think need addressed. Really where do you get your high and mighty attitude from that gives you the right to tell people they shouldn't have an opinion about what their club is doing or not doing. Who have Hibs tried to get in for RB and CH? In my view if I pay my hard earned cash to go and watch Hibs then I am entitled to say what I think are our weak points.

Our defensive record might be one of the best in the UK but we lost four at home to a Rangers side who were almost embarrassed if not so in Europe that doesn't really say a lot for the current state of Scottish football. We need to strengthen RB and CH IMO and we needed to before the season started IMO.

ahibby
04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
You are completely ignoring were we were last season, and were we are now. If we had brought in a centre half, and a right back, we probably would not have stokes and miller. You can only do so much with one transfer window, and limited cash. And what Yogi has done so far, has been just short of a miracle. FFS look how far we have come in such a short space of time. :confused:

We still need a RB and a CH and I said that months ago.

benji49
04-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Im goosed guys thoughta win was on,my yam brother thinks we are kak
whatever

benji49
04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Is that your women mate, well played:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I agree, but if we had got them, but never signed miller and stokes, you'd probably be saying we needed a ball playing central midfielder, and a goal scoring centre forward. Its a juggling act by the manager, one he's doing rather well at, at the moment.

MSK
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Im goosed guys thoughta win was on,my yam brother thinks we are kak
whateverYour Brother is well used to watching kak though ..just remind him of the league table ...oh aye & the last time they beat us in a league game ..:wink:

Andy74
04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Nice of you to say so and also to presume wrongly that it was the manager that I contacted. Also nice of you to presume that I made first contact. Nice of you to tell me that I shouldn't be sore that we haven't strengthened areas which I thought and still do think need addressed. Really where do you get your high and mighty attitude from that gives you the right to tell people they shouldn't have an opinion about what their club is doing or not doing. Who have Hibs tried to get in for RB and CH? In my view if I pay my hard earned cash to go and watch Hibs then I am entitled to say what I think are our weak points.

Our defensive record might be one of the best in the UK but we lost four at home to a Rangers side who were almost embarrassed if not so in Europe that doesn't really say a lot for the current state of Scottish football. We need to strengthen RB and CH IMO and we needed to before the season started IMO.

The attitude is coming from you, you seem to think that pointing something out pre season makes any difference to how Hibs have gone about their business.

We brought in real quality to the club at significant expense and we will again I'm sure.

The want it all right now option isn't actually realistic and complaining without knowing the cirumstances or the plans is a bit needless.

And lastly, as has been pointed out numerous times, until our keeper got injured, who isn't a right back or a centre half, we had the joint best defensive record in the UK so whatever reason we didn't sign anyone in those positions it has made no difference.

What might make a difference, for the better, is if by waiting for the right players we get ones of real quality instead of just getting people in to keep people that pointed out that we needed someone happy.

Hibees07
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Actually it's quite frightening (in a good way) that the addition of only 2 players, a good CB & RB could give us a pretty decent team. Perfectly capable of challenging the OF. :agree:

Big Ed
04-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I think that these two positions require assessing separately. At RB when Yogi spotted that DVZ was a liability; he knew that McCann’s return was imminent. I suspect he wanted to see if Kevin could hold down the role before looking elsewhere for someone to fill the void. The window obviously closes in September and after that it is too late to bring in anyone else. I think that there are enough doubts about Kevin McCann now to suggest that he might want to try and bring someone in for that position, however with a new Goalkeeper having signed; I don’t think that there will be any more than one or two more players coming to ER this month.
With regards a new CH; Bamba has proved to be an excellent central defender who we will obviously miss whilst the African Cup of Nations is on. Playing for Ivory Coast means that he will probably be away for the whole month and if he plays well, we may have to sell him. I think that Yogi sees Hanlon as a CH in the long term, but I suspect that he is not sure about him there right now. If Bamba stays until the end of the season, then I think Hanlon may start at CH next season.

Hibees07
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Never ever rated Mcann, reason being a distinct lack of pace. Hanlon needs to go on loan for a season and toughen himself up for the SPL, I always feel he is too timid for a defender. :agree:

sahib
04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Dear Yogi,

You need to buy really, really good players for every position. Better than Hearts (Boo!) for starters. But really we should buy much, much, much, much better players than the old firm because then we will be champs. It is so obvious I can't understand why manager after manager have failed to do this.

Yours Sincerely,

Sahib Supporter

My pre-season advice was ignored as well.

Andy74
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Dear Yogi,

You need to buy really, really good players for every position. Better than Hearts (Boo!) for starters. But really we should buy much, much, much, much better players than the old firm because then we will be champs. It is so obvious I can't understand why manager after manager have failed to do this.

Yours Sincerely,

Sahib Supporter

My pre-season advice was ignored as well.

:greengrin

WindyMiller
04-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Jonny Boy?? Not sure how it's written .. Made an assessment of Hogg in another post that identified his problem areas in a well put together post that reflected my views better than mine:agree:

Yes, and you agreed with me agreeing with him.:dizzy:

Fifer
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM

:top marks

Expecting Rain
05-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Apparently we`ve got one of the best defences in Britain, no...........we have some good individuals Bamba, Wotherspoon,Murray and potentially Hanlon and hopefully a decent keeper in Smith, most of us agree Wotherspoon is not a defender but the boy has done a good job considering he`s came from the under 19`s directly to the SPL. Once we have a right back and a reliable centre back to compliment Bamba or need be Murray we`ll move on to the next stage in our already welcome progress, our defensive record in partly is down to the ineptitude of our opponents rather than our defenders collectively doing everything to prevent a goal, watch the Aberdeen game against us before we played Rangers the writing was on the wall, i agree with ahibby about our defence.