PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin

greglauder
03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
How he continues to get a game ahead of Cregg or anyone else i will never know

He brings nothing to the team and his passing for a CM is kack and he keeps on shooting from long range and misses the target every time. his goal against Celtic was a 1 off so stop giving the ball away with shots that he is never going to score. i'm all for having shots from just outside the box but rankin shoots from like 30 yards

Hopefully he will be dropped now McBride is back from his injury

steakbake
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Have a word. Rankin was good today.

Okay - maybe not tremendous, but he didn't put in any less of a shift than anyone else.

RickyS
03-01-2010, 11:05 PM

He brings nothing to the team and his passing for a CM is kack and he keeps on shooting from long range and misses the target every time. his goal against Celtic was a 1 off so stop giving the ball away with shots that he is never going to score. i'm all for having shots from just outside the box but rankin shoots from like 30 yards

Hopefully he will be dropped now McBride is back from his injury

Rankin was pretty poor today, I think the thing that should keep McBride in is his passing. He rarely wastes a ball. for me he has been one of our best players this season and I hope he hits the form he was in before his injury soon.

lucky
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
No was not he is never an spl player. McBride is a much better player. Now that he is fit Rankin back to the bench (even that's to good for him )

Dunbar Hibee
03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I thought today was one of Rankins better games..

Cameron1875
03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
funny how some want him out and yet some think he was impressive today.

I can't believe people put up with performances like his. Yeah he won a few challenges but that was only because he just kept giving hearts the ball.
To play centre mid you have to be good at passing which he aint. Also if there is no 'destroyer' in the midfield then everyone has to win some headers but he just ducks out the road of them.

Certainly if mcbride is back then rankin will be on the bench.

Hibs Spain
03-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Hopefully he will be dropped now McBride is back from his injuryOut of the players we have,he would be in my squad.He did a lot of work today and I will give him more than 5/10 for today..

CB_NO3
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Out of the players we have,he would be in my squad.He did a lot of work today and I will give him more than 5/10 for today..
I didn't think Rankin was better or worse that anyone else today. Looks like he is up for todays scapegoat award.

patlowe
04-01-2010, 12:17 AM
I loathe to slag off our own players but I am at the end of my tether with Rankin's inclusion. He contributes so little. I would understand if he was in the team to make up for McBride's absence but he is a completely different type of player. And by that I mean that one is a solid, composed holding midfielder while the other lacks composure entirely. It destroys our balance and I for one cannot understand it. I have NEVER seen hibs dominate in midfield with Rankin in the side. It's kinda frustrating because it's obvious that he has talent and a gifted left foot. Unfortunately, it's also obvious that he will never be good enough for hibs.

HFC 0-7
04-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Have a word. Rankin was good today.

Okay - maybe not tremendous, but he didn't put in any less of a shift than anyone else.

Rankin ran about a lot, probably more than anyone, however, his passing was bad, he constantly chose the wrong pass and why oh why does he keep trying to re create the squigler. He always tries a shot from about 40 yards. Yes puts a shift in, but doesnt help the team. Need someone with a bit more purpose and direction.

EasterRoad4Ever
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
If putting in a shift and chasing people about the pitch is enough then Rankin deserves his place in the Hibs team. IMHO however, this is not good enough for Hibs or the SPL for that matter. For a key midfielder, his decision making and passing is woeful.

A good test is: would he get a game for any of the so called bigger teams in the SPL - Dons, DUFC, Arabs ? Not a chance.

IMHO Rankin is not good enough to play in Hibs current formation and needs replaced.

hibbie02
04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
I thought today was one of Rankins better games..

But only compared to other Rankin performances. Compared to what we need in midfield, he is a waste of a jersey.

Spike Mandela
04-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Average player but have to admit his constant attempts at a 'squiggler' are becoming annoying:agree:

MyJo
04-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Rankin is a decent SPL level player and could probably do well at somewhere like Falkirk or Hamilton but im afraid he is nowhere near the standard needed in our midfield. He does a lot of running and gets himself on the ball a lot but his decision making is poor and if he has to pass the ball more than 5 yards he's lost.

Glad to see that McBride is back as we have missed him in the last few weeks but Rankin is not an adequate replacement in midfield.

Would not be disappointed to see him go in the summer TBH

Andy74
04-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Not a player that will take us where we want to be so will no doubt be replaced in due course.

I suspect his professional attitiude is counting for a lot with Hughes and also being left sided he is giving more balance than it would be putting Cregg in there.

He certainly puts in the effort but is not really good enough.

cad
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Rankin ran about a lot, probably more than anyone, however, his passing was bad, he constantly chose the wrong pass and why oh why does he keep trying to re create the squigler. He always tries a shot from about 40 yards. Yes puts a shift in, but doesnt help the team. Need someone with a bit more purpose and direction.

:agree: Tend to agree ,but it depends what instruction Yogi gave him before they went out .

500miles
04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
If putting in a shift and chasing people about the pitch is enough then Rankin deserves his place in the Hibs team. IMHO however, this is not good enough for Hibs or the SPL for that matter. For a key midfielder, his decision making and passing is woeful.

A good test is: would he get a game for any of the so called bigger teams in the SPL - Dons, DUFC, Arabs ? Not a chance.

IMHO Rankin is not good enough to play in Hibs current formation and needs replaced.

Interesting. Because one, or rather two, of the teams mentioned, were hoping that he'd be emptied when Mixu left so they could have a look at him.

jacomo
04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Not a player that will take us where we want to be so will no doubt be replaced in due course.

I suspect his professional attitiude is counting for a lot with Hughes and also being left sided he is giving more balance than it would be putting Cregg in there.

Hmm... despite being left footed, Rankin doesn't seem to operate anywhere other than the middle though.

I preferred Stephen Glass, personally... another left footer with a professional attitude, and the occasional goal.

jdships
04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I didn't think Rankin was better or worse that anyone else today. Looks like he is up for todays scapegoat award.

My thought's exactly :thumbsup:
No "Maka" so let's find another scapegoat !!
Yuch !!

:flag:

martin63
04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
My thought's exactly :thumbsup:
No "Maka" so let's find another scapegoat !!
Yuch !!

:flag:

I couldn't agree more. :agree:

So whos' turn is it next week if Rankin gets dropped? :dunno:

mcfly
04-01-2010, 06:15 PM
by no means our worst player.......not the best technically but he does a shift and works hard.

agree he should forget shooting from 40 yards but there were a few worse than him.

we played poorly but we got a point....

my main concern was the lack of help stokes got and why riordan was always on the left touchline.

hopefully we will sign a full back and centre half this transfer window.

Winston Ingram
04-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for us. I accept he works hard and the purpose of said hard work is to get us the ball back. The problem with Rankin is that he gives it away more often than not which means it's fairly pointless having him in the team.

His distribution and decision making is very poor. He rarely plays it simple and is more inclined to try and play a world cup pass which is usually shanked out the park or attempt a 'squiggler' from ridiculous distances/

down-the-slope
04-01-2010, 06:22 PM

:grr::grr::grr: Oi cut the balanced comments on players thats not allowed...you have to either slate or defend....is the .net way don't you know:rolleyes:

Baader
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Tries hard but don't think he is really good enough...

EasterRoad4Ever
04-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Interesting. Because one, or rather two, of the teams mentioned, were hoping that he'd be emptied when Mixu left so they could have a look at him.

And where are these teams now :wink: ?

skipster7
04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Rankin ran about a lot, probably more than anyone, however, his passing was bad, he constantly chose the wrong pass and why oh why does he keep trying to re create the squigler. He always tries a shot from about 40 yards. Yes puts a shift in, but doesnt help the team. Need someone with a bit more purpose and direction. his woeful passing put stokes through twice in the first half:confused:

Ed De Gramo
04-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Miller plays better alongside McBride...KM holds back allowing Miller to work his magic...

500miles
04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
And where are these teams now :wink: ?

Giving us a fair run for our money until they lost thier manager.

majorhibs
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
by no means our worst player.......not the best technically but he does a shift and works hard.

agree he should forget shooting from 40 yards but there were a few worse than him.

we played poorly but we got a point....

my main concern was the lack of help stokes got and why riordan was always on the left touchline.

hopefully we will sign a full back and centre half this transfer window.

A nonentity who NEVER wins a ball in the air in midfield, plays centrally & never shows for a second ball, cant beat a man ever, who played just about all of last season when we had imo probably the worst midfield in the SPL, (for many a year) just doesnt seem to fit in with either his fellow midfielders, defenders, forwards, indeed who does he find with a pass if they arent practically sitting on top of him, the guy is mince in midfield, no questions about it, this type of squad player is holding Hibs back from being a much better team! But he "grafts" and is popular with some fans! :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2010, 08:59 AM
He's one of those players you need in a squad at the moment. Imho he is not a starter if everyone is fit, but he offers us energy in the midfield, but thats not enough to make him a regular at any club wanting a European place. I'm sure he will only play when there are injuries and suspensions. And if we bring in anymore midfielders, i think he will drop down the pecking order, and then nearer the door.

HFC 0-7
05-01-2010, 09:06 AM
his woeful passing put stokes through twice in the first half:confused:

Nade held the ball up and played the killer pass to break the defence for their goal, should we sign him?

NO! Just because he played 2 good passes doesnt make him class or worth a place in the team. Headless chicken comes to mind when talking about Rankin.

J-C
05-01-2010, 09:20 AM
When you have 2 skillful playmaking midfielders like Zouma and Miller the balance of the team needs either a grafter like Rankin of the more controlled ball winning and passing skills of McBride.
Cregg has the ball winning skills but is a bit of a loose cannon and will put in a few dodgy challenges.
We need a Boozy type player, wins 50-50 balls and can make a decent pass.

Expecting Rain
05-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Rankin gets 10/10 for effort but nothing for guile or awareness, he looks like he`s making the game up on the spot and runs about like a headless chicken, contrast his performances with those of Miller and McBride, no contest and why does he have to lie down on the ground before he makes a tackle, on a par with Joe Keenan in my very humble unprofessional opinion.

Captain Trips
05-01-2010, 10:21 AM
The old scapegoat stuff, I dont think anyone on this thread is blaming Rankin for the 1-1, he played his part along with others so no scapegoat here.

The mention of JR is this match and previous matches have clearly not been to what some on here desire and I happen to agree with that. So I dont see how he is a scapegoat. Other players where as on a par with him or worse but because JR has been average at best its rightly stated.

I would sell him offers not much more than running next to opposition players and the dining out on the Boruc goal for me is well past the coffee.

Captain Trips
05-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Rankin gets 10/10 for effort but nothing for guile or awareness, he looks like he`s making the game up on the spot and runs about like a headless chicken, contrast his performances with those of Miller and McBride, no contest and why does he have to lie down on the ground before he makes a tackle, on a par with Joe Keenan in my very humble unprofessional opinion.

Pretty much sums him up.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Nah keenan was just awful, a poor mans Brian Kerr. Rankin is very average, Keenan was useless.

Ell_Chrisso
05-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Anyone want to come up with proof that McBride is really a miles better pro than Rankin? Because from what i'v seen, they both are very similar. Like to sit deep, and play simple passes. Although, McBride will win the ball back for you more, Rankin will get forward a little more than him.

We need a CM better than both of them, to play with Miller.

As for Rankin against Hearts, he done nothing wrong. Why don't we criticise people like, Zemmama & Riordan? Who were both NON exsistent really. Especially the latter. Wotherspoon? Maybe been a little found out the last two or three games? I think so. McCormack? Rubbish. If thats the best option we have got for RB, We desperatly need one!

Poor result, against a POOR team. End of.

Hibby Bairn
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Anyone want to come up with proof that McBride is really a miles better pro than Rankin? Because from what i'v seen, they both are very similar. Like to sit deep, and play simple passes. Although, McBride will win the ball back for you more, Rankin will get forward a little more than him.

As for Rankin against Hearts, he done nothing wrong. Why don't we criticise people like, Zemmama & Riordan? Who were both NON exsistent really. Especially the latter. Wotherspoon? Maybe been a little found out the last two or three games? I think so. McCormack? Rubbish. If thats the best option we have got for RB, We desperatly need one!

Pretty much agree with all of that. Although Riordan did set up the goal for Stokes...which is arguably what he is there to do and vice versa. And I think if we played this pair up front together then we could see a barrowload of goals from them. Bugger all this tracking back nonsense.

David Wotherspoon has had a relatively poor past few games. Passing accuracy seems to have gone. Don't think he has been found out....just out of form I suspect.

McCormack should have been hooked at half time.

Would like to see us buy a quality left midfielder and push Riordan up front with Stokes.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Anyone want to come up with proof that McBride is really a miles better pro than Rankin?

I think we retain the ball much more when McBride plays. Its alright running about like a dug doon leith links, but when he does get the ball, he gives it away far too cheaply. McBride helps us keep the ball, and we then move up the pitch as a unit, rather than him on his own.

Ell_Chrisso
05-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I think we retain the ball much more when McBride plays. Its alright running about like a dug doon leith links, but when he does get the ball, he gives it away far too cheaply. McBride helps us keep the ball, and we then move up the pitch as a unit, rather than him on his own.

Yea i agree with that. Im not saying by any means that Rankin is better, or the other way round. Im just saying that, soo many people on here think McBride is the saviour. Hes not. Hes a neat and tidy footballer, but in terms of winning a match, he won't do that for us. He will steady the ship. Thats all.
Rankin deserves alot more credit than he is getting. There were 11 players to blame Sunday, not 1.
We stunk, and were out played 2nd half by a very poor Hearts team.
We were hanging on more than them with ten mins to go.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Yea i agree with that. Im not saying by any means that Rankin is better, or the other way round. Im just saying that, soo many people on here think McBride is the saviour. Hes not. Hes a neat and tidy footballer, but in terms of winning a match, he won't do that for us. He will steady the ship. Thats all.
Rankin deserves alot more credit than he is getting. There were 11 players to blame Sunday, not 1.
We stunk, and were out played 2nd half by a very poor Hearts team.
We were hanging on more than them with ten mins to go.

I'm not blaming anyone for sunday, but i do disagree with you on rankin. I dont think he offers much more than nuisance value. McBride as you say will not win us games, but he will contribute to us winning more games, as he gets us playing more football. He gets us further up the pitch as a team. And he makes sure we retain the ball more. This season, he's been an integral part of the team, WE MISS HIM. Something i dont think any of us would say about Rankin.

Sergi12
05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
The only thing Rankin is good at is getting himself covered in mud. The guy is never off his backside. Not good enough! Empty him.

MacBean
05-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Pretty much agree with all of that. Although Riordan did set up the goal for Stokes...which is arguably what he is there to do and vice versa. And I think if we played this pair up front together then we could see a barrowload of goals from them. Bugger all this tracking back nonsense.

David Wotherspoon has had a relatively poor past few games. Passing accuracy seems to have gone. Don't think he has been found out....just out of form I suspect.

McCormack should have been hooked at half time.

Would like to see us buy a quality left midfielder and push Riordan up front with Stokes.

Rankin was one of our best players on the park on Sunday :agree:

in-me-pocket
05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Rankin was one of our best players on the park on Sunday :agree:

:confused:

But he contributed the sum total of hee haw. Please explain what he did that makes you say this.

500miles
05-01-2010, 12:10 PM
:confused:

But he contributed the sum total of hee haw. Please explain what he did that makes you say this.

While, like everyone else, his distribution was patchy, he put through some excellent balls for Stokes to run on to, a good one that, although a tad too heavy, Riordan could have challanged for and been through on an empty net, and won more than his fair share of the ball.

Der Panzer
05-01-2010, 12:14 PM

McBride v Rankin? There really isn't a contest. McBride retains posession, keeps moves going and protects the back 4. He'll never be a headline grabber but every team needs someone as disciplined as him in that role. He has established himself as a key member of the team. Rankin runs and runs and runs to little effect. I admire his professionalism and work ethic, but he just isn't good enough to be a regular starter for a top six team. If I recall correctly, he wasn't even a certain starter for ICT. We need better than him. Good squad player at best.

You seem to have missed the point. Very few posters are actually blaming Rankin for our failure to win. Most are only highlighting that he put in yet another average (at best) performance and that we require someone with a bit more brains in his position.

As for the other players you mention, they have all (with the exception of McCormack) won us points and made game changing contributions at crucial times. They might not have been at their best yesterday but no player can perform to their potential all of the time.

California-Hibs
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Rankin in simply rubbish. He is no where near good enough to be in our midfield, his passing is shocking, and all he does is run around like a headless chicken, in my opinion both him and Stevenson are both not good enough to be footballers at Hibernian fc, and i hope both get emptied this transfer window so that they free up acouple of wages to which we can use the money to bring in BETTER quality.
More players along the likes of Stokes, Miller, Mcbride please Yogi :agree:

in-me-pocket
05-01-2010, 12:28 PM
While, like everyone else, his distribution was patchy, he put through some excellent balls for Stokes to run on to, a good one that, although a tad too heavy, Riordan could have challanged for and been through on an empty net, and won more than his fair share of the ball.

you were watching a different game from me then. Unless, when you say "some" you actually mean "one". And I would dispute it was excellent anyway.

in-me-pocket
05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Rankin in simply rubbish. He is no where near good enough to be in our midfield, his passing is shocking, and all he does is run around like a headless chicken, in my opinion both him and Stevenson are both not good enough to be footballers at Hibernian fc, and i hope both get emptied this transfer window so that they free up acouple of wages to which we can use the money to bring in BETTER quality.
More players along the likes of Stokes, Miller, Mcbride please Yogi :agree:

correct. Rankin is like playing with a man short and I fully expect him to be released soon.

Ell_Chrisso
05-01-2010, 02:34 PM
McBride v Rankin? There really isn't a contest. McBride retains posession, keeps moves going and protects the back 4. He'll never be a headline grabber but every team needs someone as disciplined as him in that role. He has established himself as a key member of the team. Rankin runs and runs and runs to little effect. I admire his professionalism and work ethic, but he just isn't good enough to be a regular starter for a top six team. If I recall correctly, he wasn't even a certain starter for ICT. We need better than him. Good squad player at best.

You seem to have missed the point. Very few posters are actually blaming Rankin for our failure to win. Most are only highlighting that he put in yet another average (at best) performance and that we require someone with a bit more brains in his position.

As for the other players you mention, they have all (with the exception of McCormack) won us points and made game changing contributions at crucial times. They might not have been at their best yesterday but no player can perform to their potential all of the time.

You could basically say the exact same for Derek Riordan every week. Only way he gets away with Sunday, is because he had ONE good contribution, a cross.
John Rankin, is NOT the answer, iv already said that. But he certainly isn't the person that put in the (below par) performance.
Anyone that deserves the blame (if any, even tho its a team game) is Darren McCormack.
Was useless the whole of first half, hardly made a decent pass, his fault for goal, and should have been hooked at half time. IMO for Nish, who hasn't done much wrong, and the team should have went back to the one thats went 12 games unbeaten, instead of mucking about trying to change things after one blip.

I still feel Cregg should have got his chance when McBride went down anyway. Instead, he chose Rankin. So to Yogi, he is the man for the job, not Cregg.

Now that McBride is back and playing, he will probably come straight back into the team. I hope it pays off for us. But id still rather we signed a BETTER CM.

greglauder
05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Anyone that deserves the blame (if any, even tho its a team game) is Darren McCormack.

Im not blaming rankin for that result im just annoyed that he continues to get a game when he is not good enough to play for hibs on a regular basis because he loses the ball all the time. and his continous attempts at "squiqlers" keeps on giving the ball away. you cant score when you havent got the ball