PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

Big Frank
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Up at Pitoddrie 3 weeks ago and he absolutely strolled the game. He was superb:agree:

Dire against Rankgers and very bad distribution today. Hardly found an Hibernian player once.

Would he benefit from a wee rest on the bench?

Thoughts?

euro Hibby
03-01-2010, 10:53 PM
He had a hand in the equaliser but was not at the required standard. His passing was very bad like most on the park today.

hibeesliam94
03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Probably, however I dont think we have any cover at rightback with McCormack suspended

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Gie the lad a brek, he's our new white hope at ER. Has done tremendously well since Yogi arrived.

James.
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Few times today he was left completely unmarked down the right hand side and noone looked to pass to him. Not sure whether he's not shouting for the ball, a lack of confidence from team mates or poor desicion making from players (namely Hogg and Rankin today)

Argylehibby
03-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Gie the lad a brek, he's our new white hope at ER. Has done tremendously well since Yogi arrived.

I dont think anyones giving him a hard time tbh. He is young and many managers including Yogi have said in the past that you have to take it easy with the youngsters and give them a rest now and again. I agree with the OP and think its time for the rest to let him recharge and return to the performance standard we all know he is capable of.

Jonnyboy
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Up at Pitoddrie 3 weeks ago and he absolutely strolled the game. He was superb:agree:

Dire against Rankgers and very bad distribution today. Hardly found an Hibernian player once.

Thoughts?

Goodf points well made :agree:

As others have said, he's a youngster so wont always play to the high level he's capable of. Today I thought his game was affected by McCormack having a 'mare behind him

jacomo
03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Good point about right back tho. Do we have anyone apart from him if McCormack is suspended and McCann still not fit?

AK86
03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Spoony has not had his best games recently, but he was far from poor ,or the worst.He hasn't let his head go down and still shows class. He will also have learned a fair bit from these 2 games
Watch what you wish for cause i reckon he will be the next "big sale" out of Easter Road

James.
03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Good point about right back tho. Do we have anyone apart from him if McCormack is suspended and McCann still not fit?

Hogg? Have we not played Murray at right back before when Mixu was in charge?

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Why drop Wotherspoon though when you could argue that Hogg has had the same amount, or more, bad games! :confused: apart from being the captain!

Cool_Hand_Luke
04-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Played a great ball to Stokes from the left back area in the first half that Stokes should have done better with :agree:

Wakeyhibee
04-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Few times today he was left completely unmarked down the right hand side and noone looked to pass to him. Not sure whether he's not shouting for the ball, a lack of confidence from team mates or poor desicion making from players (namely Hogg and Rankin today)

Spot on, his passing wasn't as good but he showed plenty of movement and always looking to run at the Hearts defence, some good passess/crosses also. I think Hogg, Rankin & possibly Zemmama are more deserved of a rest.

hibsitis
04-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Wotherspoon is young and has definite potential but, to justify his selection, needs firstly to be played in the right position. He's not a full back and playing him there will cost us. He also needs to work on his distribution which has been a major weakness all season.

He seemed strangely unwiulling to take men on today when pressing forward and this, to me, is his strength.

Also, Stokes as MOTM match was ridiculous given Miller's shift today.

patlowe
04-01-2010, 01:20 AM
IMO Wotherspoon is doing absolutely fine. There are players who are far more senior to him that need to take responsibility for their poor form; ie Zemmama, Rankin, Riordan and Hogg to name a few.

I'm_cabbaged
04-01-2010, 01:52 AM
IMO Wotherspoon is doing absolutely fine. There are players who are far more senior to him that need to take responsibility for their poor form; ie Zemmama, Rankin, Riordan and Hog to name a few.

IMO Spoonie needs a rest, no doudting his ability but he he just looks jaded. Doesn't matter what possition he's getting played, most of his pases aren't happening.

I'm_cabbaged
04-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Wotherspoon is young and has definite potential but, to justify his selection, needs firstly to be played in the right position. He's not a full back and playing him there will cost us. He also needs to work on his distribution which has been a major weakness all season.

He seemed strangely unwiulling to take men on today when pressing forward and this, to me, is his strength.

Also, Stokes as MOTM match was ridiculous given Miller's shift today.

Where did he play today? :confused:

truehibernian
04-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Murray was MOM today by a mile. Kept Hogg and the defence together at ropey times and in the second half had some lung bursting runs. Led by example throughout. Get him signed Yogi :agree:

HibeeUnderwood
04-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Without doubt he's been one of our best players this season :agree:

But I do think that his recent performances have been not as good and considering he's still very young and its his first season in the big time, a wee rest for the boy might do him some good :agree:

I'm sure we can easily find someone to give some impact down the right side if he's not playing, but just resting him for a few games will hopefully help his game improve in future performances this season :agree:

M8UDB
04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I think he has done brilliant since coming into the first team, a couple o off games but then what players dont?? Thought he played much better further up the park today before the sending off, when he is at the back he tends to get into the Hogg way off thinking and tries to play the long ball, if he is going to do that then his distribution has to improve but IMO so far this season good stuff :thumbsup:

Spoony, Spoony:greengrin

HFC 0-7
04-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Its a big step up from U19 to the first team. I think he needs a rest, the last thing we want to do is burn the guy out. I seem to remember Lewis Stevenson coming into the team and looking very good then he faded away but we kept playing him. Dont want the same thing happening with Wotherspoon

hibiedude
04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I would never drop Wotherspoon as you say he was superb in Aberdeen and forget the Rangers game because only 3 players came away from that game with positive coments.

I'd give Hogg an extended Festive break before Wotherspoon :agree:

HFC 0-7
04-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I would never drop Wotherspoon as you say he was superb in Aberdeen and forget the Rangers game because only 3 players came away from that game with positive coments.

I'd give Hogg an extended Festive break before Wotherspoon :agree:

young players can burn out easy though. If you keep playing him and he has bad games it will knock his confidence ala Lewis Stevenson.

You look at all the big teams down south, they play there young player limited, give them a few start then put them on the bench.

Wotherspoon is a great player, no doubt, but he is young and not used to the pressures of first team football. If we bring in a RB in January I would rotate Wotherspoon and Galbraith.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I think that it is a big ask to bring a youngster into the team and then ask him top operate in two different areas of the pitch and perform to a consistent high standard. I would guess that if you add up all his appearances so far, he would have settled for that for the whole season before a ball was kicked. I would hope that Yogi would " rest" him rather than " drop" him if he sees his head go down.

EasterRoad4Ever
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Thoughts?

Unrecognisable as the player who bust onto the scene against Celtic at start of season. Needs to be rested and re-focused.

PISTOL1875
04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Unrecognisable as the player who bust onto the scene against Celtic at start of season. Needs to be rested and re-focused.

He doesn't need to be rested at all.. HUghes needs to play him in a position and leave him there.. Yesterday , he was in midfield , against Rangers he was at RB.. Where will he be playing next week against Irvine Meadow. ?? By the looks of thinks , he will at RB again.. Leave the guy in a positon and let him get used to it instead of moving him around nearly every week...