PDA

View Full Version : Deeks - Bring him in !

Big Frank
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Its time to bring him in from the left and play a conventional 2 up front with Stokes.

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Its time to bring him in from the left and play a conventional 2 up front with Stokes.Absolutely, he's a waste of space out on the left wing. I reckon him him and Stokes would be perfect up front together. I dunno why Yogi doesn't think so. We need a LM/left winger IMO to allow Riordan to move up front. Galbraith could play there but is he still a bit lighweight at the moment?

sleeping giant
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Its time to bring him in from the left and play a conventional 2 up front with Stokes.

Yes !!

rainman
03-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I would like to see Yogi stick him up top with Stokes just to see what happens. Then, if he goes another 4/5 games as anonymous as the last 4/5, he can get the hook and I'm sure the team will benefit from it.

Westie1875
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM

Absolutely :agree:

Fantic
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
:agree: he spends most of his time screaming for the ball and gets little service

sleeping giant
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Why has no manager done this? :dunno:

Simkin911
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
To be fair to Deeks, he would have also been totally isolated up front with Stokes today as;

a) the quality of the pass in the 2nd half was shocking
b) it would have been 2 versus 4 (or more)
c) our midfield support was miles away....

I'm not picking on Hogg but blindly lashing the ball "up front" is never going to suit Stokes or Deeks.

danger1875
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM

why move him of the left wing? He scored 20 + goals a season out there for us before he went looking for the big money to smeltic :cool2:

Big Frank
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
why move him of the left wing? He scored 20 + goals a season out there for us before he went looking for the big money to smeltic :cool2:

Because bro, I'd like to see his talent shine through as an out and out centre forward, and honestly believe that he will startbanging in the goals. I also think in yogis tenure so far at Hibernian that he isn't getting anywhere near
enough of the ball as he did under previous managers. This is shown true with a paltry 7 so far.

He's under performing (for him) in the scoring stakes.

Ps - as a side, as his detracters on this keep stating about his lasck of backtracking. I thought he did exceptionally well in the first half when rankin:rolleyes: ignored Zemmama and took a disgraceful corner straight to the yam. Deeks stopped the yam in his tracks on the half way line. Well done I say.

sleeping giant
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Its also where he wants to play !!

Edit: Well it was when JR used to post on here.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Certainly Zouma up front didn't work, was maybe worth a try by Yogi.

James.
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Absolutely, he's a waste of space out on the left wing. I reckon him him and Stokes would be perfect up front together. I dunno why Yogi doesn't think so. We need a LM/left winger IMO to allow Riordan to move up front. Galbraith could play there but is he still a bit lighweight at the moment?

I think Galbraith is a good shout, he always looks promising when Yogi brings him off the bench. Would give us some pace on the left whilst allowing Riordan to be in a more threatening position up front with Stokes. I can't imagine Riordan is too chuffed at sitting on the left marked out the game whilst Stokes is scoring for fun.

danger1875
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Because bro, I'd like to see his talent shine through as an out and out centre forward, and honestly believe that he will startbanging in the goals. I also think in yogis tenure so far at Hibernian that he isn't getting anywhere near
enough of the ball as he did under previous managers. This is shown true with a paltry 7 so far.

He's under performing (for him) in the scoring stakes.

Ps - as a side, as his detracters on this keep stating about his lasck of backtracking. I thought he did exceptionally well in the first half when rankin:rolleyes: ignored Zemmama and took a disgraceful corner straight to the yam. Deeks stopped the yam in his tracks on the half way line. Well done I say.

Bro think you see something that no professional manager has seen to date. if you see so much in players why don't you become a manager then we can judge you against mowbray, wgt, mixu and hughes. then you can say i told you so .

by the way i 2 think his work rate has increased 100% this season and think he is a more complete player now than I have seen.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Zemmama Miller McBride Rankin

Stokes Riordan

Doesnt look too bad...

Sandy
04-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Stokes Riordan

Doesnt look too bad...

Rather have Galbraith than Rankin, but I suppose if the left back needed more protection ie Hanlon then I might select Rankin.

thedoc_l
04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Riordan and Stokes are not a partnership, we need someone who can hold the ball up with either Riordan and Stokes playing off said player.

We lack pace and physical presence, fix this and 3rd place is a cert, if not we may struggle to hold on to 3rd.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Riordan and Stokes are not a partnership, we need someone who can hold the ball up with either Riordan and Stokes playing off said player.

We lack pace and physical presence, fix this and 3rd place is a cert, if not we may struggle to hold on to 3rd.

Thats how we started the season, with Riordan on the left, and Stokes on the right of Nish. It just didnt work, especially at Hamilton. Obviously Nish is not a fantastic physical presence, and someone like Kevin Kyle or Chris Killen would be a better option...

hibbie02
04-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Stokes Riordan

Doesnt look too bad...

Yes it does at it has Rankin in it. :wink:

HibeeUnderwood
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Yes, Deeks is wasted on the left side, he should be used as a striker :agree:

and give Galbraith a chance on the left side for once :agree:

vahibbie
04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Definitely:agree:

Deek looked quite pissed off yesterday. He either doesn't get the pass or it's coming when he's well covered and his options are *****e. TBF, he's no really got the pace for that position. Bring him inside and get him scoring:thumbsup:

MyJo
04-01-2010, 03:08 PM
The last two games we have been murdered down the flanks and i think its time that Riordan was given an opportunity up front alongside Stokes.

Stokes has shown that there are opportunities there by scoring 7 in the last 5 games, Riordan is the deadliest finisher in the SPL and having him out wide left where he isn't getting a sniff of a shooting chance most games is a waste.

Getting him in the middle will give him lots more opportunities to go for goal or to lay it off for Stokes to have a pop and while its good to see him working hard for the team and tracking back etc its counter-productive if it means he isn't doing what he does best.

Big Frank
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Bro think you see something that no professional manager has seen to date. if you see so much in players why don't you become a manager then we can judge you against mowbray, wgt, mixu and hughes. then you can say i told you so .

by the way i 2 think his work rate has increased 100% this season and think he is a more complete player now than I have seen.

That is pathetic.

MB62
05-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Deeks has suffered badly in the last two games in particular. He is missing Ian Murray playing left back as Ian gets up in support and in the overlap, giving Deeks another option and defenders another problem. Paul Hanlon has done fine at left back, but he doesn't get up in support of Deeks, concentrates on his defending more.

What I found confusing was listening to Yogi before the game saying Colin Nish has been our best player in the last 4 or 5 games, but he had dropped him to the bench :confused:

Personally also thought, the way we continued to lump balls up the park all day long that we needed Nish on the park and also thought Benji was worth the last 20 mins at least, just even to give their defenders a different problem.
Looked to me like Yogi was happy to settle for the point, which was disappointing.

Sammy7nil
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Stokes Riordan

Doesnt look too bad...

Looks very small and lightweight :boo hoo:

sam armstrong
05-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Don't agree, he is not great as a main striker and has always done better coming in from the left. He had two of the best chances in the game and will be disappointed he never finished them. The one that miller sent across the face of the goals in particular. He will still score his usual quota this season though.

jgl07
05-01-2010, 02:27 PM
That is pathetic.
But it is true.

OK Blobby sometimes played Riordan up front with O'Connor.

Mowbray always played him wide left as did Mixu and Hughes.

Does it not tell you something?

ancient hibee
05-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Mowbray played Zibi and Brown does that tell you something?

BSEJVT
05-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Dont agree either.

As part of a 2 man strike force Derek would IMO be easily picked up by the 2nd centre half and right back and doesnt have the physical attributes to hold them off. He is also not that great with his back to the goals.

He no longer has the pace to run onto through balls.

So playing him wide puts him up against the right back, and gives him the chance to get the ball to feet facing the goals and take him on on either side and score goals / create something.

Baw187
05-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Leave Deek where he is. If we'd got the ball to him more on Sunday, we'd have done better. When he did get it, we scored or created chances.

In a few games time, he'll have banged in 4 goals and we'll have forgot all about this conversation.

500miles
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
The current set up is allowing Stokes the freedom to aim for 20+ a season. When Riordan was doing that at Hibs, he was playing off Garry O'Connor, who gave him that freedom. So when Stokes developes into a tall, athletic, hard, strong, quick forward, it will be effective to play Riordan next to him. Until then, Riordan will have to make the left midfield spot work for him.

Big Frank
06-01-2010, 12:22 AM
But it is true.

I think to suggest something outlandish:rolleyes: like trying to utilise one of our players more didn't merit I be told I should, and I quote : "
become a manager then we can judge you against mowbray, wgt, mixu and hughes. then you can say i told you so ."

Bit ott from the other poster, don't you think jgl07? There won't be very many threads/debates on the team!! We could all quote the above!!

Big Frank
06-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Dont agree either.

As part of a 2 man strike force Derek would IMO be easily picked up by the 2nd centre half and right back and doesnt have the physical attributes to hold them off. He is also not that great with his back to the goals.

He no longer has the pace to run onto through balls.

So playing him wide puts him up against the right back, and gives him the chance to get the ball to feet facing the goals and take him on on either side and score goals / create something.

SOme good points there. The reason I started the thread was because I genuinely feel we don't utilise him enough, and have hardly passed the ball to him in 3 games.

I also thought that once Hibs realised that if we keep the ball long enough against the yams, we would soon incure broken ankles:greengrin, and started humping high balls up to stokes (on his own) which their CH scooped up all day (merely heading the ball to their left back each time), we could have had a bit more joy had we played (ie deeks) another man off stokes, to collect any knock downs from their centre half.

The gap between stokes / nish / deeks for the dons and huns games were huge. Thought we could get more joy playing them closer?

Monts
06-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Stick him on the bench...

_hucks_
06-01-2010, 02:50 AM
But it is true.

I think his point is that the "but you're not a football manager" argument really wont go too far on a football message board...

BSEJVT
06-01-2010, 07:39 AM
SOme good points there. The reason I started the thread was because I genuinely feel we don't utilise him enough, and have hardly passed the ball to him in 3 games.

I also thought that once Hibs realised that if we keep the ball long enough against the yams, we would soon incure broken ankles:greengrin, and started humping high balls up to stokes (on his own) which their CH scooped up all day (merely heading the ball to their left back each time), we could have had a bit more joy had we played (ie deeks) another man off stokes, to collect any knock downs from their centre half.

The gap between stokes / nish / deeks for the dons and huns games were huge. Thought we could get more joy playing them closer?

Decent argument, we dont have play the personnel IMO to adopt that approach.

Yogi's preferred style seems to be short and sharp around the box, without really trying to hold the ball up for late runners from midfield.

Our goals scored tally would seem to justify that approach.

Its massively frustrating to watch and the fact that the ball comes back straight away means the midfield has a hell of a work to do.

That's why I find it hard to be too critical of Rankin, he is working his arse off, but its true he has little quality on the ball.

IMO though the Hearts centre halfs were so untroubled by Stokes in the air that they could have headed the ball anywhere they wanted.

Again IMO deeks game isn't about fighting for knockdowns.

I think (hope) that what Yogi is trying to do with him is isolate him 1 on 1 with a fullback and let Deeks beat the fullback with his abillity / run off him.

I think in doing that there is an acceptance that he wont see that much of the ball, but that when he does he can contribute something meaningful ala Sunday.

When you look at the highlights both Deeks and Stokes has pretty good chances they didnt take, so even on reduced possession we are still creating chances.