PDA

View Full Version : Mikey Stewart > Liam Miller (ed: ???)

Bob Box Fish
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
The main reason we never won either is our central midfield is too weak. Michael Stewart has bossed Liam Miller in both matches and in my opinion is a far better player.

Millers performce this outing was marginally better but still in Stewarts back pocket.

Rankin done well in the 1st half but fell away.

nonshinyfinish
03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Michael Stewart has bossed Liam Miller in both matches.

Did he *****.

MSK
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
The main reason we never won either is our central midfield is too weak. Michael Stewart has bossed Liam Miller in both matches and in my opinion is a far better player.

Millers performce this outing was marginally better but still in Stewarts back pocket.

Rankin done well in the 1st half but fell away.Aye right ...:faf:

James Connolly
03-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Utter bollocks...IMHO!

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Rankin done well in the 1st half but fell away.Deary me, do you actually comprehend fitba? :confused:

New Corrie
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I thought Michael Stewart was the best player on the park today, however there is no doubtibg that Liam Miller is a seriously good player.l

Grizz
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Did he *****.

Get off that fence!

Ps - 100% correct.:greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)
03-01-2010, 06:52 PM

What game did you watch, Miller had a good game today!

Westie1875
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM

:agree: Can't believe ESPN gave Stewart MOTM, he was chasing Miller's shadow all day.

McBride makes a huge difference to our midfield though and it was great to see him come on in the 2nd half.

hibee-shtuggie
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM

i think he finally managed to play a pass after 60 mins oh and the usual shoot from anywhere in the first half was smashing also...not. what does cregg have to do? anyway liam miller had a good game today and to say that michael stweart had him in his back pocket is taking it to the extreme

Mikey_1875
03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
As much as it annoys me I thought Stewart was as good as Miller today. There is no doubting Miller is the better player though and Miller was certainly not bossed in these matches, it was probably one of the highlights of the match watching them battle it out today though.

As for the Rankin comment I thought he was awful today. Also when McBride and Miller are together we pish all over their midfield!

chrisski33
03-01-2010, 07:00 PM

u a yam on the wind up?

Bob Box Fish
03-01-2010, 07:01 PM

I travelled up for the match as I did the previous derby.

Stewart is a better all round player. How many goals has Miller scored? How many daft passes does Miller spray across the middle of the park (in particular last 2 games) and nearly cost goals? He has a few nice touches but that's about it. Stewart breaks up the play can pass the ball and scores goals.

James Connolly
03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Stewart is a better all round player. How many goals has Miller scored? How many daft passes does Miller spray across the middle of the park (in particular last 2 games) and nearly cost goals? He has a few nice touches but that's about it. Stewart breaks up the play can pass the ball and scores goals.

4 goals for Hibs in nearly 70 appearances; hardly prolific.

The vast majority of his goals for Hearts have been from the penalty spot this season.

I know who I'd rather have in the Hibs midfield, and it aint that moaning faced p***k!!

scott7_0(Prague)
03-01-2010, 07:08 PM

HA HA, we have strikers to score our goals mate and we have other midfielders to braek up play, you are comparing apples and oranges mate......:yawn:

Anyway your arguement holds not weight, how many of MS goals are from pens?

nonshinyfinish
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Whether or not Stewart is a better player is a different debate. You said that Stewart 'bossed Liam Miller' and had him in his 'back pocket,' which is simply not true.

I think you are a horrible Yam.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
4 goals for Hibs in nearly 70 appearances; hardly prolific.

The vast majority of his goals for Hearts have been from the penalty spot this season.

I know who I'd rather have in the Hibs midfield, and it aint that moaning faced p***k!!

Spot on. Stewart had a decent game today but all in all Miller has quality that Stewart never had or will have.

GreenPJ
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
:agree: Can't believe ESPN gave Stewart MOTM, he was chasing Miller's shadow all day.

McBride makes a huge difference to our midfield though and it was great to see him come on in the 2nd half.

I am glad McBride is back but unfortunately when he came on we sat even deeper. I rate him as a player but you need one of the midfielders to play further forward when Kevin plays but no one did. If Miller could have had the game he had in the second half 20 yards up the park I am sure we would have won.

Peevemor
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Spot on. Stewart had a decent game today but all in all Miller has quality that Stewart never had or will have.

Possibly, but he should have been red carded for his lunge on Murray at the end.

Tosser!

Hibs90
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Anyone smell yam?

ancient hibee
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm still waiting for Miller to play a pass which actually puts a striker through.As usual we played far too much across the field in front of their defence and were too slow in playing the ball wide.Still-this is the Hughes way and he isn't going to change.

Sergey
03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Possibly, but he should have been red carded for his lunge on Murray at the end.

Tosser!

He also lashed out with his boot at one of our lads during the 1st half (Miller IIRC) and could easily (and deservedly) have been shown a straight red then.

I hope someone snaps him in two one day!

McD
03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
When I watch stewart play this season, he is a guy who doesnt do a lot imo, but spends a lot of time highlighting what little he does.

He is always visible shouting at refs when it suits him, he follows the ball abt looking for a pass without ever much being of anything except the conservative option (which I know can be a constructive way to play, but only if you are in a team that wants to play football and with attackminded players), and also rarely makes a telling pass.

I once read an article by jim mclean (I know I know) lamenting the new breed of midfielders who dont really defend or really attack, they just sort of hang about, getting plenty touches but not doing a lot with the ball or taking responsibility, this is what I think Stewart is an example of.

He shouts at refs, makes daft lunge tackles, and picks up yellows and reds, all of which appeal to the moronic majority over the way, who interpret this as committed, to me it just shows a petulant clown.

Just my opinion likes :greengrin

sahib
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
When I watch stewart play this season, he is a guy who doesnt do a lot imo, but spends a lot of time highlighting what little he does.

He is always visible shouting at refs when it suits him, he follows the ball abt looking for a pass without ever much being of anything except the conservative option (which I know can be a constructive way to play, but only if you are in a team that wants to play football and with attackminded players), and also rarely makes a telling pass.

I once read an article by jim mclean (I know I know) lamenting the new breed of midfielders who dont really defend or really attack, they just sort of hang about, getting plenty touches but not doing a lot with the ball or taking responsibility, this is what I think Stewart is an example of.

He shouts at refs, makes daft lunge tackles, and picks up yellows and reds, all of which appeal to the moronic majority over the way, who interpret this as committed, to me it just shows a petulant clown.

Just my opinion likes :greengrin

That charge could be levelled at Miller too but even more so of Rankin. I would say Stewart and Miller try to do both.

McD
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
That charge could be levelled at Miller too but even more so of Rankin. I would say Stewart and Miller try to do both.

Valid point mate.
I agree about rankin, dont think he brings much to the table for us.

Of the other 2, I think miller is the better attacking wise, better passer and vision, whilst stewart is probably the better defensively, in part due to physical stature.

From what I remember of miller at celtic, he would run at players a lot more (in part due to playing wider), but his game now, or at least what yogi wants him to do, is more akin to a facilitator, drifting where he needs to be to get on the ball, make telling passes and influence the game. I think when he has mcbride with him he can play 10 yards further up the pitch, which can be crucial, whereas beside rankin he seems to play deeper, limiting his impact. I thought miller seemed to start to dictate a bit for us after mcbride came on.

Stewart would prob be a better player in a team that doesnt play hoofball, but I wouldnt take him back at the expense of miller, in fact I doubt he'd be a better option than the mcbride-miller tandem.

Hamish
03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Good point.

I think Miller has been attempting to do 2 jobs while McBride hasn't been available and this has blunted his threat

Judas Iscariot
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
The main reason we never won either is our central midfield is too weak. Michael Stewart has bossed Liam Miller in both matches and in my opinion is a far better player :faf:

Millers performce this outing was marginally better but still in Stewarts back pocket :faf:

Rankin done well in the 1st half but fell away :faf:

Crack attack :agree:

:smokin

fife hfc
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I feel the negative tactics which Hearts employ made it hard for our midfield today. They are set up to stop you playing and they do it very well. Stewart played okay but his job is to get up and support the lone striker. miller is to sit in and set our forward players free, which was hard when you have two fairly solid banks of four.

after the sendings off made it even more difficult as Hearts brought on Black to keep the solid midfield four and we lost Wotherspoon out of the midfield leaving us numerically down in numbers. I don't class Deek as a useful midfielder to even things up.

Jones28
03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
u a yam on the wind up?

nah its just micheal stewart:greengrin

nonshinyfinish
03-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Crack attack :agree:

:smokin

Abruptly put, but no less true for it.

matty_f
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
No way on God's Earth was Miller in Stewart's pocket today. Stewart was their best player by a mile, but Miller was just as good, IMHO.

I think we got sucked into the scrappy sort of game that favours the Yams, and it suited them more than us.

We looked much better with McBride on. I can't wait til he's fully fit, and we have a midfield of McBride, Miller, and Zouma pulling the strings again.

CallumLaidlaw
03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
personally, I didn't think Miller played very well today compared to his usual 8/10 performances BUT, although Stewart always seems to give 100% for them, all he seems to do is run around the park at 100mph without doing very much, apart from wanting to take every freekick, corner and throw-in possible. This isn't necessarily a good thing, as he actually has aposition to play, rather than "everywhere"

Mag7
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Curious how some folk see games so differently to others. I thought Miller was one of our better players today, way short of what he's capable of but still earned pass marks for me. Certainly a better player than Stewart who puts himself about a lot, granted, but only to compensate for the limitations of his team.

lyonhibs
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Ho Ho Ho, just as well Panto season is upon us, but don't put that one into the script you're writing.

It's just TOO far fetched to get any laughs.

sleeping giant
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Pffft.

Our midfield was **** !!
Miller was part of that ! I thought they were all **** today.

Big Frank
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Lunging all over the pitch and behaving like a moaning auld wifie, doesn't make mikey stewart barry today.

The fanny could and should have had 3 yellow cards today.

Their left back was their best player today. By a mile.

weecounty hibby
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Spot on BF every time they came forward with Wallace they looked dangerous. Probably the only Jambo I would take at ER. Mikey is a headless chicken who could easily be sent off in every game. LM is by far and away a better calmer and more assured player

joejoefaemexico
03-01-2010, 09:21 PM

although they are obviously total different type of players, i would have mcbride before rankin any day of the week, but dont think we can play mcbride and miller together against lower ranking opponents as two sitters is not necessery.

Twa Cairpets
03-01-2010, 09:26 PM

What utter, utter, utter keech.

Already in the running for ludicrous post of the year 2010.

nonshinyfinish
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Already in the running for ludicrous Yam post of the year 2010.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

skipster7
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
think rankin takes a lot of stick unfairly, twice put good balls through for stokes (first half) which we would be raving about if it was miller, but then can give the ball away to much abuse.latest scapegoat spring to mind and for me was no worse than miller.6/10 for both with hearts dominating the midfield when 10 v 10.:grr:

jiggerman
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Miller was my mom. Class in everything he does - rarely misplaces a pass. I think he must be sick of covering for everyone else's mistakes.

Stewart is a good player - never bossed Miller though. The thread starter is either a yam or simply knows nothing.

Fantic
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
When was the last time we got beat in a derby?

Big Frank
03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
think rankin takes a lot of stick unfairly, twice put good balls through for stokes (first half) which we would be raving about if it was miller, but then can give the ball away to much abuse.latest scapegoat spring to mind and for me was no worse than miller.6/10 for both with hearts dominating the midfield when 10 v 10.:grr:

Sorry Skipster - not for me. I watched Rankin very closely today and his distribution was very poor. Shocking at time IMO.

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Stewart was the best player on the park today. He was the reason Los Yambolinos came away with a point. He constantly broke up everything in the midfield.

He was just a squad player when at ER but i'd take him back as he's exactly what we need at the moment.

That said, he's nowhere near the footballer Liam Miller is. Didn't play that great today, I thought, but generally a stand out.

As for Rankin, well, he puts in a ton of work but he can't pass water. A decent fringe player who has done a reasonable job, but certainly not a first pick.

Saorsa
04-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Stewart is a better all round player. How many goals has Miller scored? How many daft passes does Miller spray across the middle of the park (in particular last 2 games) and nearly cost goals? He has a few nice touches but that's about it. Stewart breaks up the play can pass the ball and scores goals.Baws

JCHibby
04-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Stewart could not lace Millers boots, he has never been or will ever be half the player Miller is. I do agree that we got bossed and this is a situation that Yogi needs to sort sooner than later, far to light weight.

Speedway
04-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Watch again and you may find that what is actually happening is that Miller is playing passes to where players should be, but aren't. This is making Miller look like his misplacing passes when he's actually just a class or two above many of his teammates.

Rankin was Rank in all he tried to do. Can't fault his effort, can fault his ability, effectiveness, distribution and overall contribution.

emmjayfox
04-01-2010, 11:49 AM

its been 2 years since they beat us in a league match,but they have won a cup game last year.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Hearts last beat us in the SPL, 2 years ago, on 19 January 2008.

We've gone 6 league games unbeaten since then and only lost 1 out of the last 9.

However, they beat us in the Scottish Cup on 11 January last year.

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2010, 12:27 PM
"Stewart scores goals"

Aye, penalties. Go and look at his stats, only one of his goals hasn't been a peno! :bye:

Winston Ingram
04-01-2010, 12:47 PM

I'll have some of what your having. Miller was superb today:agree:

God Petrie
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Hahahaha stewart better than miller. Good one.

CorrieHibs
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Hi mikey how u doing?

brog
04-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Stewart was the best player on the park today. He was the reason Los Yambolinos came away with a point. He constantly broke up everything in the midfield.

He was just a squad player when at ER but i'd take him back as he's exactly what we need at the moment.

That said, he's nowhere near the footballer Liam Miller is. Didn't play that great today, I thought, but generally a stand out.

As for Rankin, well, he puts in a ton of work but he can't pass water. A decent fringe player who has done a reasonable job, but certainly not a first pick.

Sensible post Bob. I also don't think the original poster deserves the abuse he's receiving. I don't think there's any doubt that Liam Miller's poorest game of the season was at the PBS. He was much better yesterday & to say he was in Stewart's pocket is a tad extreme but it was definitely a good contest between the 2. Given that Zouma had a shocker we were effectively a man short in midfield & for that reason both Miller & Rankin were fighting for scraps. I also don't think the pitch is doing us any favours just now. It doesn't encourage the ball players to work it through midfield & going long to Stokes on his own is not an option. We scored our goal when Wotherspoon beat a couple of people in midfield & created some space to allow Deek to run at the RB. That was what Z was meant to do.
I'd much rather have Liam than Stewart but the ginge whinge did a good job for the Yams yesterday.

Oscar Lomax
04-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Have to agree. Stewart is a total end of bell but he is a great player and I was a bit sad when Hibs showed him the door.
If he could have cut out his stupid attitude problems and childish behaviour there is no doubt he would be playing for a better team that Hearts.
Miller is a different type off player. He wants time on the ball and is always looking for a pass. Think Stewart is certainly more agressive but he can play football. I have this argument with my mates all the time who just cant see beyond the fact he is a Yam.....Im talking strictly in football terms though.

Cabbage1875
04-01-2010, 01:26 PM

This sums it all up well for me as well. :top marks

s.a.m
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I think Stewart had a very good game yesterday (although it's also true that he could have been sent off, and spent a decent proportion of the match moaning, whining and waving his arms about.....), although I wouldn't say that he had Miller in his pocket. He seems to have played a big part in their current revival - although IIRC when he with us he was wont to have a cracking spell to remind you why he played for Man U, then disappear for 3 months. Here's hoping.

RoYO!
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
can we change the thread title to Mikey Stewart < Liam Miller (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=170769) ?

TornadoHibby
04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Pffft.

Our midfield was **** !!
Miller was part of that ! I thought they were all **** today.

:top marks

Zemmama and Miller were not influential for us yesterday and that allowed Stewart to get on the ball more although he didn't actually create any chances that caused Smith any difficulties, in fact IIRC only Black hit the target with a decent shot for them other than the goal! :agree:

I've been saying for weeks that we need to pass better and find Hibs players with those passes rather than giving the ball away more often than not! :agree:

Sadly, yesterday was yet another of the games where our passing was poor and where we gifted possession un-necessarily to the opposition! :cool2:

We didn't lose the match for any other reason than that IMO and certainly not due to one of our players being red carded however that is viewed as some have suggested on other threads! :cool2:

Conclusion - we can and MUST do better in future! The return of McBride for Rankin will help us achieve that IMO! :wink: :agree:

Alex Trager
04-01-2010, 01:57 PM
The thing on jk is that Stewart had a good game and Miller never and also one points out how anonymous he's been against the 'big' teams.... hearts , gers and celtic. First of all he has been pretty rubbish- not up to his usual- in the derbies but not crap. the game at ibrox , he was brilliant , he was pretty pish at ER against der hun however. And finally against celtic , the boy is rite he done hurrendous , but i feel the main reason for that is cos he hadn't been singed so...
However, how can he be that bad if he's constantly given MOTM , it's not us that are giving him this it's the bbc etc... but to the deluded yams it's us who are building him up to be immense. they talk utter garbage and i HATE them

whiskyhibby
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM

You obviously were not at the game..........

Whilst Stewart played well, everyone there was amazed that Miller did not get MOM award in place of Stokes, he was excellent

:jamboak::jamboak::jamboak:

:jamboid:

Broken Gnome
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
If you review any derby, Stewart will generally be the type of player than you'd always say would do well. He's the sort that typifies the 'effort, passion blah blah blah' that is symbolic of these games.

Miller on the other hand is the type that can beat players, as he did on several occasions yesterday, without even touching the ball. Stewart's obviously a decent player, but if you take a 38 game season into account you'd be happier with the classier footballer than the frenzied lunatic.

1two
04-01-2010, 02:29 PM
The thing on jk is that Stewart had a good game and Miller never and also one points out how anonymous he's been against the 'big' teams.... hearts , gers and celtic. First of all he has been pretty rubbish- not up to his usual- in the derbies but not crap. the game at ibrox , he was brilliant , he was pretty pish at ER against der hun however. And finally against celtic , the boy is rite he done hurrendous , but i feel the main reason for that is cos he hadn't been singed so...
However, how can he be that bad if he's constantly given MOTM , it's not us that are giving him this it's the bbc etc... but to the deluded yams it's us who are building him up to be immense. they talk utter garbage and i HATE them

you hate them Yet all you do is read their website it seems........

McIntosh
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Agreed, Stewart is a fine player, it is churlish to suggest otherwise. I would sign him in a moment - it would be highly audacious but he could be exactly what we need.

mim
04-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Sadly, yesterday was yet another of the games where our passing was poor and where we gifted possession un-necessarily to the opposition! :cool2:

We didn't lose the match for any other reason than that IMO

.....actually, we didn't lose the match at all - did feel like it, tho. :wink:

poolman
04-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that post

Purehibee_MYB
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM

I think you need to look a bit more closely next time... Michael Stewart was clearly frustrated with our midfield towards the end...and miller was one of those factors...Miller was at fault for one of Rangers' goals last week, but I thought he was one of our best players in the derby, as well as Hanlon...he had a good game.

Andy74
04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Liam Miller was turning in sublime performances like the second half away to Motherwell when Michael Stewart was getting booed off by his own fans.

Miller is by far the better and classier player although to be fair Stewart ran about mad yesterday.

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Liam Miller was turning in sublime performances like the second half away to Motherwell when Michael Stewart was getting booed off by his own fans.

Miller is by far the better and classier player although to be fair Stewart ran about mad yesterday.

:agree: Stewart always shows well in derbies because he runs about mental and creates havoc. Doesn't create anything or that. Our equivalent is Lewis Stevenson - that'd be a fair comparison, not Liam Miller.

Thegreenside
04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
close this thread. the idea that stewart is better than miller is a embarrasment:agree:

Fifer
04-01-2010, 05:08 PM

:faf::faf::faf: Best joke so far in 2010.

Fifer
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Stewart has scored 7 goals this season. 5 PENS. That sure is prolific.

iwasthere1972
04-01-2010, 05:17 PM
close this thread. the idea that stewart is better than miller is a embarrasment:agree:

He's better at kicking stray water bottles in tunnels. Erm maybe not. :devil:

MyJo
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
utter pish!

TornadoHibby
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
.....actually, we didn't lose the match at all - did feel like it, tho. :wink:

:rolleyes:

Oooops! :wink:

Mike, having been ready for a win at least for us yesterday and, if we played well, a decently sizeable one, the way we played actually felt like we lost the match! :agree:

As I said in my earlier post, we need to be doing better and more like what we are capable of! :agree: :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM
utter pish!

There's a thread on KB talking about Miller being in Stewart's pocket. Complete polar opposite of this thread!

fife hfc
05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Just watched the whole match again and I have changed my mind on how well both played. After the game I felt Miller had played okay but Stewart dominated the midfield. However having watched the game Stewarts influence was nowhere as dominant as I first thought. He just ran about and never actually done much. He looked his best when he got acres of space to play and was involved in hearts best chances that made him look better.

Miller took the ball in tight situations and was very comfortable in spraying the ball about and closing players down, as Stewart done, but unlike Stewart played with his head rather than his heart. Miller is definitely the more intelligent footballer and doesn't need to run about at 100mph to influence the game. The thing is in derby matches passion and fight is more important to fans than calmness and intelligence, so stewart looked better.

Another difference is the that Stewart is asked to support Nade while Miller is being asked to sit deeper and start attacks. Stewart therefore runs about more so appears to be more involved, but as said Miller uses his head and lets the ball do the work.

overall I'd say neither had each other in their pocket, but both played well in their designated roles. For Hibs it was failures in Yogi's tactics in leaving Stokes isolated that was the real problem we had.

Expecting Rain
05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Miller is streets ahead Stewart and showed his class in the derby, also Stewart isn`t handicapped by having to play with Rankin.

EasterRoad4Ever
05-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Totally different players. As one commentator said after the match that the MOTM was won by a "spoiler" rather than a ball player. Stewart is a spolier. Miller is a cultured footballer. I know which I'd sooner pay money to match, thanks.

3pm
05-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Liam Miller wins hands down as a football player. I still think he can do far more than he has done since he arrived - said as much before. I still think a midfield 3 would suit him better to show his full ability but it's work in progress.