PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Bathgate's "Hibs huvnae beaten any of the top five" stat

shamo9
03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Should we be worried that we haven't managed to beat anyone in the top five after six attempts? It's a completely foreign thing for Hibs, usually we raise our game for the 'big teams' and slip on our faces in games against the 'lesser teams'.

What do you think it tells us about this Hibs team in particular? I think it shows that we've got the right foundations to really progress in the future. As long as we beat the teams at the bottom and don't lose to those around us we'll always be there or there abouts come the business end where these games become six pointers.

Getting the attitude right for every game - good first step for Yogi.

CB_NO3
03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I would be worried if we were 8th or 9th in the league, but since we are third I am defo not worried. We are no great shakes, but the rest of league is poor. I think United will slip away over the next few months and I think Hearts will come 4th. We are 9 points ahead of Hearts with a game in hands so am not worrying.

teabag
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't think it's worrying. Although we've not beaten any of them yet we're still doing alright result-wise against the top 5.

If we keep that up and and continue to pick up more points against the bottom teams than Dundee Utd and Hearts then we'll comfortably finish third.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-01-2010, 06:24 PM
We're regularly beating the bottom six teams, which we've often not done in the past, whilst still taking points off the top six. We've only lost 3 league games in total, two of them against the OF. That'll definitely do me for the time being!

--------
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
If we carry on the way we're doing we'll surely win more than we lose. :rolleyes:

jarre1875
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Top 6 side, in a league that changes all the time. I wouldn't worry cause we're doing okay otherwise, also this week are Aberdeen no in the top 6 n we beat them twice :agree:, n if its Motherwell we beat them twice 2

Sas_The_Hibby
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Top 6 side, in a league that changes all the time. I wouldn't worry cause we're doing okay otherwise, also this week are Aberdeen no in the top 6 n we beat them twice :agree:, n if its Motherwell we beat them twice 2

The op did say "top five", which includes us, and it's true we haven't taken any points off ourselves.

Actually, that's not STRICTLY true........... :rolleyes:

Hibeescott
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Depends how you look at it..........

You could also say that in the 7 games against Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts and Motherwell we haven't lost.........won 4 and drawn 3......

IMO a great record. Yes you would like to win games like today but it is so important not to lose points to teams around you.

scoopyboy
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
We beat Motherwell twice when they were in the top five.

It's not our fault if we play teams and they aren't in the top five.

danger1875
03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
that we haven't managed to beat anyone in the top five after six attempts? It's a completely foreign thing for Hibs, usually we raise our game for the 'big teams' and slip on our faces in games against the 'lesser teams'.

What do you think it tells us about this Hibs team in particular? I think it shows that we've got the right foundations to really progress in the future. As long as we beat the teams at the bottom and don't lose to those around us we'll always be there or there abouts come the business end where these games become six pointers.

stats and what they can mean; we have beaten motherwell twice when they where in the top 5 this season. w still have to play dundee utd and smeltic out of the current 5 so lets wait and see about stats at the end of the season

Bishop Hibee
03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, we're lucky to be third :rolleyes:

Mag7
04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
That fellae Bathgate who seems to write most of the Hibs and Hearts stuff in the Scotsman sure comes out with a lot of guff.

Apparently the fact we have so far failed to beat a side in the current top 5 should be of concern. Seems to me it's more important to beat the teams you are expected to beat if you want to make progress in the SPL, and that's exactly what Hibs have done, with the defeat at Hamilton the only genuinely poor result of our season. No point in beating Rangers one week only to lose to the likes of St Mirren the next. Consistency is the key, and with one defeat in 14 games that's exactly what Hibs are exhibiting.

As for the current top five, we have picked up a point at Ibrox and lost narrowly and undeservedly to Celtic. We may not have beaten Hearts or United but nor have we lost to them.

Finally, Hearts have only entered the top 5 in the last week, so prior to that we have twice beaten Motherwell who previously held 5th place.

Is Bathgate a Jambo by any chance? :wink:

Andy74
04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Surely the reason some of them aren't in the top 5 is because we keep beating them ie Aberdeen, Motherwell?!

It's a bit of a useless measure at this stage.

Barney McGrew
04-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Hertz and Aberdeen have won one game against the current top six, we've won two. Dundee Utd have won three.

Hardly something to shout about.

Part/Time Supporter
04-01-2010, 09:11 AM
I think he is just trying to emphasise the fact that Hearts are in the top five (for now). It's a ridiculous stat. If Aberdeen get four points from their two games in hand over Hearts (at home to Falkirk and away to St. Mirren) they would be fifth. Hibs have beaten them twice.

The OP is correct, it is more important to beat the teams who will probably be in the bottom six on a consistent basis than to nick the odd win against Rantic. By the same measure, Hearts have won one game against the "top five" (1-2 v Rangers, 2-1 and 1-2 v Celtic, 0-0 and 1-1 v Hibs, 0-2 and 0-0 v United), but they have lost games to Hamilton, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren, Motherwell. The only team they've beaten twice is Killie; they've only started climbing the league recently because they strung together a couple of wins in those kind of games.

Look at last season, Hibs got four points against Celtic and United, 5 against Aberdeen and 8 against Hearts. The only top six team they really struggled against was the Huns (one draw from four games, three of which were at home). Yet they were a distant sixth due to the poor results against the bottom six teams (one point v Killie and ICT each). If they had beaten Killie and ICT consistently they would have been 4th and possibly close to 3rd.

Dashing Bob S
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM
What a ton of garbage. M'Well were top five when we beat them twice. If we beat Dundee United will they say we haven't beaten Scottish Football's 'big three':faf:

More delusional Yam garbage.

Part/Time Supporter
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
What a ton of garbage. M'Well were top five when we beat them twice. If we beat Dundee United will they say we haven't beaten Scottish Football's 'big three':faf:

It's like Liverpool fans trying to say they won the Premier League last season because they beat Man U and Chelsea twice, and won the "Big Four league". Unfortunately the other games count.

:greengrin

soupy
04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Or we could say that only Rangers, Celtic and Hamilton have won against us all season....So it doesnt concern me What Bathgate says.....

sixtwo
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I'd be more concerned if we were beating celtic rangers or hearts and getting beat of everyone else. We are third. We are 9 (nine) points clear of hearts with a game in hand:agree:

We are comfortably in third and we will have another couple of opportunities to beat everyone before the season ends.

It is a marathon not a sprint and we are doing very well thank you very much!:greengrin

Crab apple
04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
We have 33 points from 18 games and are five points
ahead of our nearest challengers. We have a much improved defensive record and are well ahead of Bathgate's favourite team. As I said on another thread we have better players than the Yams, we will score more goals than them and we will win more games. I'm confident we will finish in third this year.

hibsdaft
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM
3 pts for a win - regardless of opposition. thats the most important stat.

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
We beat Motherwell twice when they were in the top five.

It's not our fault if we play teams and they aren't in the top five.

Surely the reason some of them aren't in the top 5 is because we keep beating them ie Aberdeen, Motherwell?!

True - but did you sense any belief that we could be the Huns or the Yams recently? We looked like we could against Huns at Ibrox and Cellic at ER earlier in the season but recent performances have lacked something .. IMHO :cool2:

Andy74
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
True - but did you sense any belief that we could be the Huns or the Yams recently? We looked like we could against Huns at Ibrox and Cellic at ER earlier in the season but recent performances have lacked something .. IMHO :cool2:

Key players. McBride, Stack, Bamba in recent games meaning we've had poor full backs and a poor goalkeeper at times.

First 20 though we could have got another v the huns until we started gifting them goals.

Yestreday was just pretty poor all round and we missed Bamba.

Still, we've a chance to address some issues in January to push on again.

Speedway
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Kevin McBride.

TheBall'sRound
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Spot on.

It's not rocket science is it?

iwasthere1972
04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Should we be worried that we haven't managed to beat anyone in the top five after six attempts? It's a completely foreign thing for Hibs, usually we raise our game for the 'big teams' and slip on our faces in games against the 'lesser teams'.

The only stat we should be looking at is that we are 3rd in the league.

Apart from the OF and us how have the remainder of the "Top Five" (Dundee Utd and Hertz) done against the "Top Five".

:notworthy: :notworthy:

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Kevin McBride.

Which makes the decision to start him on the bench daft IMHO - why not start McBride?

If you bench a guy who isnt fully fit, put him on and he breaks down you have used two subs? :confused: Better he starts and you take it from there surely.

IWasThere2016
04-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Key players. McBride, Stack, Bamba in recent games meaning we've had poor full backs and a poor goalkeeper at times.

First 20 though we could have got another v the huns until we started gifting them goals.

Yestreday was just pretty poor all round and we missed Bamba.

Still, we've a chance to address some issues in January to push on again.

We appear to need McBride, Bamba and Murray at all times IMHO.

cockneymike
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
We appear to need McBride, Bamba and Murray at all times IMHO.

And also on form Zemmama perhaps? We got results yet weren't playing well when he wasn't in the team. And he doesn't seem to have found his form again yet.

Sas_The_Hibby
04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Hearts fans on various fora are now getting very excited by this statistic.

It somehow proves that (a) we won't win the league (duh!) and (b) Hearts are a better team than us because they've fluked one top 5 SPL win against Celtic.

Hibs' problem in the league has always been consistency and I'd rather see us winning regularly against the 'bottom 7' than getting an occasional 'glory day' against Rangers or Celtic, meanwhile dropping lots of points against the rest.

matty_f
04-01-2010, 11:41 AM

We played the Yams yesterday with a new goalkeeper playing in front of a back four playing together for the first team, in front of a midfield that hasn't played as a midfield unit before.

I think that had a significant bearing on the performance and should be taken into consideration.

brog
04-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Exactly!! I actually look at games against the OF in same way as I do when backing the gee gees at Cheltenham. ie, I regard my money/points as lost from the start & any return is a bonus. Our run of 12 undefeated only included one OF game thanks to strangeness of the fixture list this season but I was ( comparatively ) sanguine after last week's game. The worst thing that's happened this season so far was Yams getting the flukey win over Celtc. At 0-1 I thought a real horsing was on but Yams get a penalty goal & an opposition player sent off without a Yam even touching the ball - remarkable!! The boost to Yam points & morale was unexpected & significant & probably helped them to their next 2 stunning & fortuitous 1-0 wins over non top 5 clubs!
We've only lost 1 non OF league game this season. If we keep that up we'll walk 3rd position & that will be a huge achievement for a new team & management.

bawheid
04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Stuart Bathgate is a Jambo whose first love is rugby. Says it all.

I'd take no notice of him or any of the stats he wants to use to put forward his weird yammish take on things.

MyJo
04-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe Stevie Frail is writing under a pseudonym.....he used to make up pish statistics like this as well to prove a point. Exactly what that point was escapes me but im sure there was one.....wasn't there :dunno:

CheesyHibby
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
ahhhh therse lies, damn lies, and then theres the fact hearts are grabage this season and desperately clinging to this as proof hibs are a 'wee' team. apparently we couldn't beat them yday even with their 'reserves' on the park. as far as im aware, gordon smith ws the only hertz player on the park yday who could be considered a 'reserve.'