PDA

View Full Version : Hughes tactics

Monts
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Why does yogi not want to make changes?

We had resorted to punting the ball up field to no affect. We needed some freshness on the field to either get the midfield ticking again, or someone to hold the ball up front while the support arrives.

As much as i was delighted to see mcbride back, putting him on in place of zemmama was a negative in terms of trying to win the game imo.

Hughes is still learning, i know, but a little bit of savvy should be there.

Also i thought we missed an opportunity to wind suso and stewart up big time.

Steve-O
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Was very little difference today in what I watched almost exactly 1 year ago under Mixu to what I just watched there.

Never truly looked like scoring and I was resigned to it being a draw with about 15 minutes left.

bobbyhibs1983
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Never truly looked like scoring and I was resigned to it being a draw with about 15 minutes left.

with about 15mins to go? i thought to myself ye its a draw or a lucky last minute goal for heartz with bout 30mins to go

Why did we resort to long ball, after long ball today?
why didn't hughes change it? didn't he learn anything from last week?

in the last 2 derbies i ve felt we have set up NOT to lose

euro Hibby
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
pitch looked very bad..........

Bobo
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Why play with one up front? Beggars belief that you surrender all the space and time that we did to a pile of *****e hearts team again.

Predictably poor derby performance from Hibs today and a pretty dull afternoon all together! Two well taken goals and not a lot else.

We really should be walking over the top of turd like hearts when we play at home, thought we showed them too much respect when they don't really merit any.

heidtheba
03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I was surprised Zouma went off. I know he wasn't delivering the killer pass but he was one of the few players I that thought was able to keep the ball and there was always the chance that he could have done something with that.

How come Murray isn't the captain btw? I thought he was immense today. And I might get pelters for this but I thought Nade had far too much posession for someone as ridiculously gash as he is.

When is Galbraith going to get a chance? This isn't a loaded 'Galbraith should have been on the bench so why wasn't he' type thing...just a genuine question.

Tricla
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Use your effing subs! Every game they go mostly unused! Why?

Monts
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I was surprised Zouma went off. I know he wasn't delivering the killer pass but he was one of the few players I that thought was able to keep the ball and there was always the chance that he could have done something with that.

How come Murray isn't the captain btw? I thought he was immense today. And I might get pelters for this but I thought Nade had far too much posession for someone as ridiculously gash as he is.

When is Galbraith going to get a chance? This isn't a loaded 'Galbraith should have been on the bench so why wasn't he' type thing...just a genuine question.

Yogi saying in the interview that zouma was nursing his hamstring.

heidtheba
03-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Yogi saying in the interview that zouma was nursing his hamstring.

Cheers - thought it was tactical.
Ta

Monts
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Cheers - thought it was tactical.
Ta

As did i.

Still think hughes could have replaced zouma with benji and still brought on mcbride in place of rankin.

That would have given us a whole lot more going forward, and kept the skill level up.

KWJ
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I thought with the amount the ball was being lumped to Stokes we could have done with Nish joining him or a up for it Benji.

Monts
03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I thought with the amount the ball was being lumped to Stokes we could have done with Nish joining him or a up for it Benji.

:agree:

At least that fall doesnt seem to have affected your head :wink:

hibee_girl
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM

It looked like Nish was going to come on before the sending off, Yogi had him warming up on his own straight from the 2nd half kicking off.

Simkin911
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm not questioning the tactics so I'm not presuming to know better BUT can anyone on here actually explain to me what we trying to achieve in the last 20-25mins?

We didn't look like we were trying to win the match.

Once ZM went off (granted hamstring issue) we seemed to be playing 1 versus 3 up front and 9/10 times it was a high ball lumped to Stokes. Even when he managed to get something on it, the midfield were invariably not in the same half. Absolute dreadful to watch but there seemed to be no Plan B.

Of course, I would understand if we were playing 10 v 11 but we had the same number of players. Okay, I didn't like what I was watching but if someone can explain what we were trying to achieve I'd at least feel there was some intelligence in the tactics.

Both Stokes & Riordan were again starved of quality supply and Deeks - who appears to be less pacey this season - is having an increasingly tough shift out on that left side.

lapsedhibee
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
And I might get pelters for this but I thought Nade had far too much posession for someone as ridiculously gash as he is.

Might also get pelters because I don't think Nade is gash. He's gash at scoring, but he does a superb job as the spearhead of the yams' appalling hoofball style. The last three or four derbies he's had the ball pumped up at him, he's almost always collected it, held it and laid it off to a Hertz player. Doesn't matter whether there's one, two or three Hibs players trying to stop him get the ball, or take it off him, he almost never gives it away. (See Hertz' goal today for a prime example of his role.) Contrast that with when we resort to hoofball - we just pump it up and lose possession straightaway.

Hiber-nation
03-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Might also get pelters because I don't think Nade is gash. He's gash at scoring, but he does a superb job as the spearhead of the yams' appalling hoofball style. The last three or four derbies he's had the ball pumped up at him, he's almost always collected it, held it and laid it off to a Hertz player. Doesn't matter whether there's one, two or three Hibs players trying to stop him get the ball, or take it off him, he almost never gives it away. (See Hertz' goal today for a prime example of his role.) Contrast that with when we resort to hoofball - we just pump it up and lose possession straightaway.

Spot on - he looks gash against teams who have big strong defenders but we aren't one of these teams!

heidtheba
03-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Good point about Nade holding things up. I must admit I did have a wee laugh when the commentator said 'Nade isn't a natural goal scorer' but he did do what he does well today. Perhaps one plus out of today is that Chabby might have less of an argument that they need a goalscorer. Thought their goal was a beauty but aside from that I don't think the scorer did much at all.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I think that I am losing the plot with Hughes tactics. We we try to play it quick and fast and along the ground like last week against RFC, we have Nish deep enough to be midfielder and ask him to be a pass and go player and TBH that makes him look like an erse cos he does not have that in his locker. Then today, when we go a bit direct against big defenders, we keep him on the sidelines and persevere with players who can't hold the ball up. Makes not one ounce of sense.

rainman
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
No doubt about it, Shabba won the battle of tactics after the sendings off.

The one thing i thought was blatantly obvious was how pish their right back was. I thought if he'd put Wotherspoon over there to run onto Zemmama's through balls, he would've ripped him up for ar5e paper. As it was, Riordan didn't have the pace to get past him.

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
No doubt about it, Shabba won the battle of tactics after the sendings off.

The one thing i thought was blatantly obvious was how pish their right back was. I thought if he'd put Wotherspoon over there to run onto Zemmama's through balls, he would've ripped him up for ar5e paper. As it was, Riordan didn't have the pace to get past him.

The ball was barely out that side of the pitch 2nd half - one of the few times it was Riordan crossed for the goal.

If we're going to play one of our biggest attacking threats wide left you'd think we'd give him the ball now and again - he'd have torn that boy to shreds.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Got to agree with rainman and Danderhall - we should have at their RB and we must get Deeks on the baw more often!

danger1875
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Why does yogi not want to make changes?

We had resorted to punting the ball up field to no affect. We needed some freshness on the field to either get the midfield ticking again, or someone to hold the ball up front while the support arrives.

As much as i was delighted to see mcbride back, putting him on in place of zemmama was a negative in terms of trying to win the game imo.

Hughes is still learning, i know, but a little bit of savvy should be there.

Also i thought we missed an opportunity to wind suso and stewart up big time.

your right, hughes is tactically niave, lets get the master of tactics back that was mixu. that way we can push for a successful top 6 finish. unless of course you have sat all your eufa coaching exams and are in a positions to offer yourr savvy to our coach?

Monts
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM
your right, hughes is tactically niave, lets get the master of tactics back that was mixu. that way we can push for a successful top 6 finish. unless of course you have sat all your eufa coaching exams and are in a positions to offer yourr savvy to our coach?

Yes I was clearly starting the campaign to have either mixu or myself put in to replace yogi...

Baldy Foghorn
03-01-2010, 11:42 PM
What tactics???

bighairyfaeleith
04-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Today we were completely one sided and predictable. You don't put a talent like deeks down the left and then ignore him all game. If I was deeks I'd be ****ing raging after the game.

I like Hughes but he needs to sort his tactics out.

HFC 0-7
04-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Couldnt believe the way we played yesterday, and although the players were to blame for shocking passing etc, the tactics were very bad. Yogi seems very confident against every other team in the league playing 4 up front. Now I agree we needed more in midfield against Hearts, he went down to just 1 up front.

The midfielders were either to close to each other and getting into bother trying to pass the ball in tight spaces, or they were to far away from each other and had to play 30 yard passes all the time.

Yogi should have changed things much earlier IMO, and had plenty to choose from, Rankin looked busy but constantly chose the wrong pass, Wotherspoon is looking like he needs a rest, having just come up from the U19's, zemmama looks like he cant play in the cold, and although Miller showed some amazing pieces of skill turning away from opposition, immediately wasted it by trying a 40 yard pass and finding a hearts player.

It must be extremely frustrating for the players on the bench watching how poorly the players on the field are and yet still dont even get a chance.

I still have faith in Yogi, but he is still learning, and one thing he needs to learn is when to freshen things up.

One other thing, I have never seen the team that score react so badly and then start playing worse. when Stokes scored I thojugh that would lift Hibs and we would push on. After we scored we starting giving the ball away even more!

sunshine1875
04-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Why play with one up front? Beggars belief that you surrender all the space and time that we did to a pile of *****e hearts team again.

Predictably poor derby performance from Hibs today and a pretty dull afternoon all together! Two well taken goals and not a lot else.

We really should be walking over the top of turd like hearts when we play at home, thought we showed them too much respect when they don't really merit any.

That is two derbies now that we have surrendered the midfield to allow our 'mavericks' to play. And it is not working. Like the Rangers game last week, I don't think playing Riordan, Stokes and Zemmamma (plus Nish against the Rangers) works in these type of games. I would prefer a more solid 4-4-2 formation with battlers in midfield. From a solid base, I am sure that Stokes and Riordan (as the front two) would get lots of opportunities and chances to score.

Yesterday, Wotherspoon, Miller, Rankin and Zemmamma did not have a grip of the midfield and that is why, I believe, we did not win it. Now if we had a Bamba/Murray type player in there I would have been a lot happier.

yekimevol
04-01-2010, 01:24 PM
i believe we need to change to a 442. yogi's 4231 gives us little width to stretch the game with two wide midfielders this is possible. we need murray or bamba as a center midfield to provide some strenght amd grit miller and mcbirde have been great but there not powerfull enough. also with two strikers we could see alot more goals and start killing games off. the one problem i would find and this is the reason yogi picked the 4231 is who to drop because with this formation he can play most of his best players. currently with 442 i would go with smith, hanlon, new center back, hogg, wortherspon, galbraith, murray, miller, zemamma, riordan, stokes, with wotherspoon and zouma on right we get width and the same on the right, wound not mind a new left mid besause we have not seen a lot of danny.

The_Horde
04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
We are going to miss Bamba for two reasons (if we don't sign another CB).

One: because he has been probably one our best players this season if not our best.

Two: Because with Hanlon at LB Riordan doesn't see as much of the ball as he would when Murray is playing there.

We are still a good 2/3 signings away from being a really good, consistent team and i hope that Yogi can bring these players in THIS window and we might just turn some of the recent draws into wins and cement 3rd place. :agree:

truehibernian
04-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I would have hooked Riordan with 10 to go and put on Benji to be honest. He has that knack of twisting and turning players and their centre half(s) were awful. Stokes was too often isolated and having to drop deep to pick up the ball. McBride is a blessing in disguise now that he is back. Gives Miller more confidence going forward IMO. Rankin doesn't do the holding roll at all well and although he gives energy, his distribution is very poor. Got to give Hearts a wee bit credit though as they came and did what Rangers did, pressed the ball, scrapped for the seconds, and didn't give our defenders time to pass the ball from the back. Hence we resorted now and again to a long ball game. A good point and maybe the start of another unbeaten run once McBride gets fitter and another couple of signings are made.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 10:40 AM
What tactics???

No tactics, and classless. Is there anything you like about our manager?:devil:

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
No tactics, and classless. Is there anything you like about our manager?:devil:

Nope

3pm
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Nope

Definitely improved from last season but we're not quite the side some on here would make you believe.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Nope

Would you prefer we were still fighting for that illustrious 6th spot?:devil:

Definitely improved from last season but we're not quite the side some on here would make you believe.

I agree, although considering were he started from, he's doing a bloody good job, something those who did not want him, and never will accept him, wont give him credit for.:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Would you prefer we were still fighting for that illustrious 6th spot?:devil:

I agree, although considering were he started from, he's doing a bloody good job, something those who did not want him, and never will accept him, wont give him credit for.:wink:

Of course I would rather not be fighting for 6th spot.......

Lets not get carried away though, we are not as good as some make out, or our position shows. There is a long long way to go..............

Jonnyboy
06-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Lets not get carried away though, we are not as good as some make out, or our position shows. There is a long long way to go..............

Yogi has said the same thing S :wink:

PaulSmith
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM

And would it give you more satisfaction to be 'proved' right on here rather than see Hughes suceed?

Away and have a word with yourself, we're better than the other 10 teams outside the OF..of that there is no doubt and I cannot see it changing anytime soon.

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
And would it give you more satisfaction to be 'proved' right on here rather than see Hughes suceed?

Away and have a word with yourself, we're better than the other 10 teams outside the OF..of that there is no doubt and I cannot see it changing anytime soon.

The League is woeful, and barring a couple of decent displays, we have played average. Still don't let that stop you from thinking all is great.......

I want to see Hibs succeed more than anything else in the World, so stop trying to put my thoughts down, or put words into my mouth when you don't know me.....

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
The League is woeful, and barring a couple of decent displays, we have played average. Still don't let that stop you from thinking all is great.......

I want to see Hibs succeed more than anything else in the World, so stop trying to put my thoughts down, or put words into my mouth when you don't know me.....

Thats the thing though, i don't think anyone is saying things are great, what people are saying is things are better, progress is being made. The state our team was in last season was awful. The quality of player Yogi has brought in is good, and he will do again this month. The football we saw last season was not good, everyone can see things are a little better this season, not great but better. We are harder to beat, we are more resolute, we have come back from being behind a few times. Progress is happening, Yogi has had less than 20 games, you are not imho giving him any credit, only criticism, thats not fair.

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Thats the thing though, i don't think anyone is saying things are great, what people are saying is things are better, progress is being made. The state our team was in last season was awful. The quality of player Yogi has brought in is good, and he will do again this month. The football we saw last season was not good, everyone can see things are a little better this season, not great but better. We are harder to beat, we are more resolute, we have come back from being behind a few times. Progress is happening, Yogi has had less than 20 games, you are not imho giving him any credit, only criticism, thats not fair.

Yes Gary, looking at last Season in comparison to this Season, then yes progress has been made, and the calibre of player he's bringing in is better, eg Stokes....

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes Gary, looking at last Season in comparison to this Season, then yes progress has been made, and the calibre of player he's bringing in is better, eg Stokes....

Well done brockie, i bet you fell a whole lot better with that off your chest.:wink:

thebakerboy
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Yogi said before huns game he wanted to look at a diamond formation in midfield but due to weather hadnt been able to get out on full size pitch. Wonder if he has been tinkering and the players are not getting it yet which could explain Sunday a wee bit. If he does do it it will be interesting to see who plays where:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Well done brockie, i bet you fell a whole lot better with that off your chest.:wink:

How much am I due you for the therapy session?:wink:

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
How much am I due you for the therapy session?:wink:

Nothing, you will be cured once and for all if the Jones rumour is right. :faf: