PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football. Yes Or No?

judas
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
What say you?

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 03:01 PM
We already have summer football with teams playing in friendly's tournament around the glode.

I voted NO

CB_NO3
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Defo no. The summer to me is about going on holiday and chilling out. If there was no football in the winter, what would there be to do on a Saturday?. SPL crowds are terrible as it is, can you imagine the crowds in July when alot of the country are on holiday. You cant beat a pint at 5pm after a cold winter game.

murphy
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Ladies football has moved to summer football. Works for them? :confused:

JIm
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Before people go writing it off and coming out with the usual gash of i want to go on my summer holidays the format is as follows for summer football in the girls/womens game:

A league which runs from March - November
A 6 week break from mid June until August

League shuts down between end of November and start of March although this is the time for pre-season/friendlys.

Think it would work well personally.

NAE NOOKIE
02-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I voted yes.

But wait a minute. Mr Doncaster of the SFA or SPL or whatever it is said that there doesn't appear to be any interest in this from football fans.

I must have missed that survey from the SFA / SPL perhaps the dont have my address or I wasn't at the game where the questionnaire was handed out to supporters.

Perhaps he could do a survey and hand it out to supporters who have driven from Inverness to Ayr to find the match was abandoned at 2:45 etc etc.

Football is a winter sport because when it first started winter activities in Scotland consisted of sitting by the fire reading a book or fighting with the wife.

Now the list is endless. Films and EPL / Spanish Football wall to wall on TV. The pictures, DIY, Video games, trips to IKEA etc etc.

For a lot of folk doing these things in the warm is preferable to freezing your bum off at a Scottish football match.

At least if our football was played in warmer temperatures it would give it a better chance of competing with other activities.

If Hibs attracted 200 more fans per league match ( paying £20 a head ) due to summer football, that would equal around £72,000 per season. Probably £100,000 with drinks, food etc.

And, with no need for floodlights ( I would miss that though ) less care of the pitch and no need for undersoil heating and less need for heating lights etc at East Mains and the stands at ER, We would probably save another £50,000.

To my mind its amazing how a business which tells anybody who will listen that its on its uppers refuses to see the advantages of this :bitchy:

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Calvin
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I find it hard to believe that the crowds would go down because everyone is on holiday. I feel this would be cancelled out by the addition of a section of the crowd that don't fancy the football in -5 conditions. I for one enjoy football much more when I can go in just a t-shirt and jeans and it is still light at the end of the game. The summer atmosphere is all about chilling out - surely a good bev and a game of football enhances that?

If the season finishes in late November, everyone's attentions turn to Christmas and New Year which occupies much of December. January would be a drag but man up eh.

Look at the Scottish schedule today. 2 games on. That's a disgrace IMO. How can playing in better weather be a bad thing? I just can't understand it.

If you're that bothered about your summer holidays ruining your football, take your holidays in January and say hello to the Southern Hemisphere.

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 04:07 PM
A resounding 'Yes'. The idea has to be fully investigated and presented to the footballing public, and by an independent body too.

Oh, and if you are reading Mr Doncaster, how many of today's games have gone ahead?

Thegreenside
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
i voted no, mainly because;
major tournaments interupting the preseason/main season and our clubs would be greatly disadvantaged for the euro games:agree:

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
major tournaments interupting the preseason/main season and our clubs would be greatly disadvantaged for the euro games:agree:

Scotland haven't qualified for a major tournament since 1998, are down to third seeds in the UEFA qualification seeding, and do not look like ending the streak of non-qualification given the standard of player available. Is this really an issue?

Plus, the whole of Scandinavia, Russia and countries in the eastern bloc seem to get around the issue you have raised. Oh, I notice there was quite a few teams from these countries in the Champions League too this season, can't be that bad being more prepared eh :cool2: We, on the other hand, had umpteen teams pumped out of Europe before the competitions really got underway.

NAE NOOKIE
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM

How many SPL players do or have taken part on World cup or Euro finals on any sort of regular basis ?

As for Euro club competition. That would be true a few years back, but now our clubs are getting horsed by teams from footballing hotbeds like Denmark and Leichtenstien who are half way into their season in the first round of European competition.

--------
02-01-2010, 04:21 PM
A resounding 'Yes'. The idea has to be fully investigated and presented to the footballing public, and by an independent body too.

Oh, and if you are reading Mr Doncaster, how many of today's games have gone ahead?

Dead right - who in his/her right mind wants to sit shivering at a football match in waether like what we have right now?

It's a no-brainer IMO.

Calvin
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Zenit did okay when they won the UEFA Cup!

Not many European games happen in December and none in January so it's not as much of a disadvantage as it seems.

--------
02-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Not many European games happen in December and none in January so it's not as much of a disadvantage as it seems.

:agree: Even less so if we sorted out the way we organise our fixtures.

Gatecrasher
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
It's not practical to sit in freezing temps watching football especially if we keep getting weather like we are, I think they should trial it for a few seasons and see how it goes :agree:

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Dead right - who in his/her right mind wants to sit shivering at a football match in waether like what we have right now?

It's a no-brainer IMO.

Couldn't agree more Doddie. I think some are caught up in the 'romanticism', if you can call it that, of attending football in the winter. It's freezing out there today, people can't get to the games because of the weather, and the pitches are not conducive to promoting the passing game.

Anyways, the way things are going with the rate of call-offs, we'll be well into the summer months with all these fixture backlogs :greengrin

Thegreenside
02-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Scotland haven't qualified for a major tournament since 1998, are down to third seeds in the UEFA qualification seeding, and do not look like ending the streak of non-qualification given the standard of player available. Is this really an issue?

Plus, the whole of Scandinavia, Russia and countries in the eastern bloc seem to get around the issue you have raised. Oh, I notice there was quite a few teams from these countries in the Champions League too this season, can't be that bad being more prepared eh :cool2: We, on the other hand, had umpteen teams pumped out of Europe before the competitions really got underway.
so all the spl players are scottish:rolleyes:

Thegreenside
02-01-2010, 04:36 PM

yeah but it means while players have there off season they need to keep 100% match fit waiting to come back for these euro games:agree:

oh and just about every other team that has won it done it while playing in the winter.

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
so all the spl players are scottish:rolleyes:

How many players in the SPL are full internationalists with other countries? Minimal I would imagine. Clubs in other leagues also seem to manage it during African Cup of Nations too.

Calvin
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
yeah but it means while players have there off season they need to keep 100% match fit waiting to come back for these euro games:agree:

oh and just about every other team that has won it done it while playing in the winter.

Well, I admire the fact that you think our teams will even be in Europe after Christmas! :greengrin However if we have December and January off, and European games are mid-February, I'd say 2 and a half months was enough time to rest and restore top notch player fitness!

And of course every other team has played winter football because every major league plays winter football. However, the Russian league shows that you can be successful in Europe without playing in Winter.

Ed De Gramo
02-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Nope...

Summer is for holidays....

Want full use of the ST...not potentially missing two matches...

Danderhall Hibs
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Nope...

Do you never go on holiday after 31 July?

Ed De Gramo
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Do you never go on holiday after 31 July?

always the last 2 in July :thumbsup:

soupy
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Nope...

i suppose we could try work round the football calender,, i voted YES:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

stubru59
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Have never liked this winter football lark.

Fine if we are playing the yams and we're winning 7-0, not so fine when you have to visit Inverness and you just know its going to be one of those days.

Ed De Gramo
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Have never liked this winter football lark.

Fine if we are playing the yams and we're winning 7-0, not so fine when you have to visit Inverness and you just know its going to be one of those days.

to be fair....we could go to ICT in summer and still get papped :greengrin

stubru59
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
to be fair....we could go to ICT in summer and still get papped :greengrin

True.

PatHead
02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Voted yes but was at Starks Park in the summer when match was abandoned so no guarantee as to weather!

Calvin
02-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Nope...

I go skiing in February and am away to Australia for christmas next year. You miss some games for holidays. C'est la vie.

I'd rather miss a game that got played than be here for one that didn't.

Ed De Gramo
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I go skiing in February and am away to Australia for christmas next year. You miss some games for holidays. C'est la vie.

I'd rather miss a game that got played than be here for one that didn't.

Mibbae thats you....

Would never potentially miss out on Hearts and Rangers at home to go holiday...2 of the best fixtures in the league...

Calvin
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Mibbae thats you....

Would never potentially miss out on Hearts and Rangers at home to go holiday...2 of the best fixtures in the league...

Exactly. So you'd change your holidays wouldn't you? So that puts the I don't want to miss games argument out the window, because you wouldn't, because you'd book your holidays around the football!

Ed De Gramo
02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Exactly. So you'd change your holidays wouldn't you? So that puts the I don't want to miss games argument out the window, because you wouldn't, because you'd book your holidays around the football!

If Summer football came into play, there'd be a strong chance these two matches could fall if i'm away....would be raging like...

At least with the current situation i'm no missing any matches (except for reserve friendlies)

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 05:39 PM

What, like we're advanged now with SPL teams being put out by FC noonehasever****ingheardofusbecauseweare*****?

Calvin
02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
If Summer football came into play, there'd be a strong chance these two matches could fall if i'm away....would be raging like...

At least with the current situation i'm no missing any matches (except for reserve friendlies)

True, early bookers would be disadvantaged. Maybe we'd see people waiting til say, January, when the new fixtures are announced to book a holiday.

All I know is that holidays are a personal and flexible choice, but snow and icy pitches cannot be stopped.

CB_NO3
02-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I go away most weekends between the middle of June and the middle of August to different music festivals etc. The way it is now suits me, and its never going to change hopefully. A Saturday is my only day off and going to the football is the highlight of my week really especially in the winter. If I was not going to the football in the winter I would be sitting in my house bored or just spending the whole day in the pub (there is no way am going shopping on a Saturday).

Hakim Sar
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Save the summer for holidays (thatl be the next excuse for not going to games) bbq's and music festivals.

How depressing would winter be without football? I'm all for starting season 2 weeks earlier rather than just in a euros/world cup year and similarly extending season beyond Scottish cup final where necessary after postponements etc

marinello59
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Better pitches means better football being played. Summer football is the only way forward for Scottish football if we want to start producing players who can match the technical abilities of those from other nations.

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Better pitches means better football being played. Summer football is the only way forward for Scottish football if we want to start producing players who can match the technical abilities of those from other nations.

:agree:

You ever tried training 3 nights a week in the freezing cold with wind on ****ty astro. Soul destroying. :LOL:

Hibs Spain
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Better pitches means better football being played. Summer football is the only way forward for Scottish football if we want to start producing players who can match the technical abilities of those from other nations.Like Italy Germany and Spain.You're obviously not familiar with the harsh conditions in the winter in regions of these countries.I would say these countries produce the most skillful players in Europe.Do you think these countries produce the skill/ball control by playing at the weekends?

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Like Italy Germany and Spain.You're obviously not familiar with the harsh conditions in the winter in regions of these countries.I would say these countries produce the most skillful players in Europe.Do you think these countries produce the skill/ball control by playing at the weekends?

Much bigger countries though and most likely, better facilities.

If only x% of their population is put off / unable to train due to harsh countries they'll still have millions who aren't affected, unlike us, where pretty much everyone is affected.

marinello59
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Like Italy Germany and Spain.You're obviously not familiar with the harsh conditions in the winter in regions of these countries.I would say these countries produce the most skillful players in Europe.Do you think these countries produce the skill/ball control by playing at the weekends?

I obviously need to travel more.:agree:

Hibbyradge
02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Golf and holidays in the summer. Football in the winter.

ENDOF.

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Could it be that it's too hot to play football in these countries during the summer? :cool2:

Monktonhall 7
02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I voted No probably because of tradition, but have other things that I do in the summer, namely golf & holidays. I agree with Hakim Sar, that winter would be bloody depressing without football, and personally prefer to watch matches under the lights. I'm sure If my memory serves me correctly that Xmas & New Year is a bumper time for crowds, and would hate to lose that.

Malthibby
02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Summer footie would mean the lassies all came to ER dressed like Woody 1985's avatar & the crowds would roll in.
GG

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Summer footie would mean the lassies all came to ER dressed like Woody 1985's avatar & the crowds would roll in.
GG

He won't be the only 'woody' kickin about if the birds dress like that. :greengrin

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
GG

Stop perving my burd. :LOL:

Hibs Spain
02-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Much bigger countries though and most likely, better facilities.

If only x% of their population is put off / unable to train due to harsh countries they'll still have millions who aren't affected, unlike us, where pretty much everyone is affected.

You've missed my point.

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
You've missed my point.

What is your point? Am I missing something or is the bad weather only at weekends in this country?

Better training facilities and giving players the chance to hone their skills more in the summer months would be much better IMO.

When would the season start for summer football? February?

Would people have the funds to pay for full season tickets in January? That would perhaps be the main sticking point.

Hibs Spain
02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I obviously need to travel more.:agree:

The ball skills level hasn't got a lot to do with weather.There's no doubt that every country in Europe and Scandinavia produce players with better ball skills and technique than we do.:agree:

jdships
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM

ENDOF.

:top marks
A big no to summer footie :thumbsup:

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
The ball skills level hasn't got a lot to do with weather.There's no doubt that every country in Europe and Scandinavia produce players with better ball skills and technique than we do.:agree:

I disagree.

When you're playing and it's blowing a gale outside the thing you want to do is get the ball and move it on as quickly as you can. Trying to take the ball on runs or making silky turns is a lot harder in the wind and rain.

People enjoy sport a lot more in the summer than the winter and I suspect a lot of players give up training due to the weather. Some people don't want to go out and do sport in weather like this.

Hibs Spain
02-01-2010, 09:28 PM
What is your point? Am I missing something or is the bad weather only at weekends in this country?

Better training facilities and giving players the chance to hone their skills more in the summer months would be much better IMO.

When would the season start for summer football? February?

Would people have the funds to pay for full season tickets in January? That would perhaps be the main sticking point.

It's to do with hours of practice with the ball....Hours and hours and hours..Our nearly ex Belgian goalie can keep a ball up and do more tricks with it than any of our home grown players.You can throw a ball from three yards at Benji's neck and he'll control it...

Baldy Foghorn
02-01-2010, 09:30 PM

ENDOF.

:top marks:top marks:top marks

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
It's to do with hours of practice with the ball....Hours and hours and hours..Our nearly ex Belgian goalie can keep a ball up and do more tricks with it than any of our home grown players.You can throw a ball from three yards at Benji's neck and he'll control it...

Perhaps kids don't want to stand outside training in 5 degrees for hours every night.

The best time to get them training and playing is in the summer or build good indoor facilities. We know that latter isn't going to happen. We might as well give it a shot.