PDA

View Full Version : ****Weather Update - GAME IS DEFINITELY ON****

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

down-the-slope
31-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Had another 3 inches more overnight (12 inches in past week) here and forcast is for more today and Newyears day and also maybe 2nd too.....Edinburgh looks like it may get some of this.....hope it does not threaten match :rolleyes:

hibeeleicester
31-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Had another 3 inches more overnight (12 inches in past week) here and forcast is for more today and Newyears day and also maybe 2nd too.....Edinburgh looks like it may get some of this.....hope it does not threaten match :rolleyes:

If it was at tynecastle then id expect it to be off :grr:

Although it would be nice to call it off, let all hibs fans back in for free and make them pay again? :greengrin

HibbyAndy
31-12-2009, 10:37 AM
If it was at tynecastle then id expect it to be off :grr:

Although it would be nice to call it off, let all hibs fans back in for free and make them pay again? :greengrin

:rolleyes:

FranckSuzy
31-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Jeez, it's a blizzard here in the South West of the Burgh :bitchy:

GreenCastle
31-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Snow in centraL Edinburgh too !

Wrap up if your off to the street party :scarf::snowman

Viva_Palmeiras
31-12-2009, 12:25 PM
London road experiencing some flurries.

I blame that bloke from Unique Events saying the weather was going to be fine for hogmanay.

hibiedude
31-12-2009, 12:53 PM
In livi right now its a blizzard

CalgaryHibs
31-12-2009, 12:56 PM
at least yoo lot get snow and its still warm, here this morning its minus 23 with a wind chill of minus 31 ,

f-me thats cold.
Lets hope the derby is on!

hibiedude
31-12-2009, 12:59 PM
at least yoo lot get snow and its still warm, here this morning its minus 23 with a wind chill of minus 31 ,

f-me thats cold.
Lets hope the derby is on!

:faf:

Great to have you back CalgaryHibs

down-the-slope
31-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Another heavy dumping of snow - sledging was good though :greengrin

hibby4ever
31-12-2009, 11:01 PM
we have had very bad snow in gorebridge its like the north pole out here

James70
31-12-2009, 11:43 PM
we have had very bad snow in gorebridge its like the north pole out here

It always is!

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
With us coming up from the south, is the game in any danger of being called off?

HibbyAndy
01-01-2010, 05:32 PM
A hope no G, Dont think there's been any snow today in Edinburgh, anyone confirm?

matty_f
01-01-2010, 05:35 PM
AFAIK, the game shouldn't be in any danger of being called off.

WarringtonHibee
01-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I've been up since last night been clear today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Great news. :thumbsup:

Silversand
01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Any news on the car park?

:wink:

HibbyAndy
01-01-2010, 06:01 PM

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Yip, its gone. Farmer pocketed the cash. :devil:

Simkin911
01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Snow forecast for tmrw afternoon but can't see game being off....

Pavements are suffering with compacted ice but I actually thought it wasn't too bad around the ground on Sunday and doubt things are any worse since then.

BT58
01-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Snow forecast for tmrw afternoon but can't see game being off....

Pavements are suffering with compacted ice but I actually thought it wasn't too bad around the ground on Sunday and doubt things are any worse since then.

several inches forecast fer tomorow

all in canada/alaska,,,,,,,,ho ho got ye, mind you its cauld enuff fer yon brass monkeys
hb:agree::agree::agree:

Judas Iscariot
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
several inches forecast fer tomorow

Not in Hercus Loan I bet :wink:

LancashireHibby
01-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Anyone know when they will be inspecting the surrounding area before the game, if it's necessary?

joebakerforever
02-01-2010, 12:35 AM
It seems Plod is now getting more involved in the decision and appears to be able to veto matches going ahead on safety grounds if the surrounding areas around the ground are considered dangerous for walking on, irrespective of the conditions on the pitch and in the Stadium.

However as it's scheduled for live tv, perhaps the broadcaster might finance some de-icing outside if needed :rolleyes:

andyf5
02-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Forecast is snow for tomorrow :grr: ;

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=edinburgh

PaulSmith
02-01-2010, 08:10 AM
It seems Plod is now getting more involved in the decision and appears to be able to veto matches going ahead on safety grounds if the surrounding areas around the ground are considered dangerous for walking on, irrespective of the conditions on the pitch and in the Stadium.

However as it's scheduled for live tv, perhaps the broadcaster might finance some de-icing outside if needed :rolleyes:

This is the one thing that I really cannot understand and where's it came from as it's only been this season that this has happened? Is there a long standing history of injuries in the last 50 years of people attending football matches in the snow or ice that we were unaware of...no wait maybe it's due to the police budgets being cut and they now cannot afford to pay the overtime :agree:

Do the police close down George St and stop buses heading into the centre of town if it snows.

Can we get back to what we have done for the last 50 years and if the pitch is playable the game goes ahead.

madgoalie87
02-01-2010, 08:14 AM
This is the one thing that I really cannot understand and where's it came from as it's only been this season that this has happened? Is there a long standing history of injuries in the last 50 years of people attending football matches in the snow or ice that we were unaware of...no wait maybe it's due to the police budgets being cut and they now cannot afford to pay the overtime :agree:

Do the police close down George St and stop buses heading into the centre of town if it snows.

Can we get back to what we have done for the last 50 years and if the pitch is playable the game goes ahead.

totally agree:thumbsup:

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 08:26 AM
How is the weather in Edinburgh ? because the weather forecast for the next 48 hours is meant to be snow followed by more snow. :bitchy:

Callum_62
02-01-2010, 08:30 AM
id fully expect the pitch at ER to be fine.

the fact that both teams are edinburgh based means 'travel safety' cant be an issue.

or maybe im being crazy, as if its called off....i'll be back in NZ before the rescheduled game!!

J-C
02-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Snowed about half an hour ago but off now.

Steve-O
02-01-2010, 08:39 AM
If the game is off it will be PC (Plod) gone mad! :agree:

Dibben
02-01-2010, 08:41 AM
It's just stopped snowing in Bathgate - only was on for 30 mins or so.

I still expect the game to be on!

BH.

Steve-O
02-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Correct.

This stuff about it being 'dangerous' for people to be walking the streets is pish.

I bet workplaces aren't telling people to stay home in case they slip on the way there!

I'm sure most people are capable of getting to a match without slipping on snow and breaking their neck.

Jack
02-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Its raining in sunny Leith at the moment. The pavements around the stadium are almost clear but one or two are still quite icy. Still less than there was for der hun game.
So unless something drastic happens over the next 24 hours there will be no doubts - the game will be on.
Cameras arrived last night.

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 08:48 AM
id fully expect the pitch at ER to be fine.

the fact that both teams are edinburgh based means 'travel safety' cant be an issue.
or maybe im being crazy, as if its called off....i'll be back in NZ before the rescheduled game!!

Travel Safety will be an issue if you support Hibs and stay outside the City

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
An inch or so more here this morning....last night was the first time in 4 days the road was actually clear of snow (there's over a foot lying in some places)...not now though..the guys driving the gritter / ploughs all look totally knackered

Lots forecast for latter but particularly Sunday...with Edinburgh likley to get it as well

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Travel Safety will be an issue if you support Hibs and stay outside the City

What percentage of the fans travel into the city for the game though?

If only a few % of fans actually have to travel into games then it should go ahead. I could understand if it was 50+% or so but there will always be reasons for people who have to do a fair bit of travelling missing a game.

I'd imagine that's the way the police will / would have looked at it.

bmc_1980
02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
:thumbsup:

fingers crossed it stays clear....massive day planned for tomorrow!!!

ggtth

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM

If only a few % of fans actually have to travel into games then it should go ahead. I could understand if it was 50+% or so but there will always be reasons for people who have to do a fair bit of travelling missing a game.

Lots more travel than you maybe realise - gone are the days when all your fans live / are born in sight of the stadium

Steve-O
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM

Exactly, if you stay outside the city and can't make it, then it's tough I'm afraid. Can't expect games to get called off because a few out of towners aren't willing to make the journey. Unless it's literally impossible to travel, which I doubt, then it's just a case of being a bit careful.

Spike Mandela
02-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Forecast is snow for tomorrow :grr: ;

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=edinburgh

Not according to the BBC though:confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5?&search=edinburgh&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

HFC 0-7
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Exactly, if you stay outside the city and can't make it, then it's tough I'm afraid. Can't expect games to get called off because a few out of towners aren't willing to make the journey. Unless it's literally impossible to travel, which I doubt, then it's just a case of being a bit careful.

wont be impossible to get there but could be a bit dangerous with temperatures of -11 forecast overnight for places like west lothian!

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 09:11 AM

If only a have to travel into games then it should go ahead. I could understand if it was 50+% or so but there will always be reasons for people who have to do a fair bit of travelling missing a game.

I have not mentioned a thing about game being called off.

I was talking about 'travel safety' for the fans going to the game who do not live in the city.

If a fan who travels to the game is killed on the roads due to the weather conditions and who lives outside Edinburgh dosent make it right because only few % of fans actually travel.

Hibs fans live all over the UK and a lot will be heading towards Edinburgh tomorrow to see the game and catch up with family memebers at this time of year.

Steve-O
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
wont be impossible to get there but could be a bit dangerous with temperatures of -11 forecast overnight for places like west lothian!

Like I say though, just a bit of care is required on the roads. Leave a bit earlier than normal, drive slower and everything will be fine. :agree:

Big_D
02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
The last home league game i missed was because of snow (v Celtic) I had a sporty car which was brutal in the snow . I watched it on tv and as i recall there was no sign of snow in Edinburgh , i now drive a 4x4 so should be ok

Leithenhibby
02-01-2010, 09:29 AM

We have had snow in the borders also and that is why I'm leaving soon. :greengrin Got a night out in the town tonight and staying over.
So if planned properly :cool2: No excuses.

Walk to hell and back for this fixture :notworthy:

Woody1985
02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I have not mentioned a thing about game being called off.

I was talking about 'travel safety' for the fans going to the game who do not live in the city.

If a fan who travels to the game is killed on the roads due to the weather conditions and who lives outside Edinburgh dosent make it right because only few % of fans actually travel.

Hibs fans live all over the UK and a lot will be heading towards Edinburgh tomorrow to see the game and catch up with family memebers at this time of year.

Surely travel safety is a contributing factor to an extent when a decision is made to call off the game.

That's not the point I was making... It sounds like you think a (not the) game should be called off based on that statement. :confused: The out of town fans should make a judgement call themselves and get as much information as they can before leaving. If they think it's too dangerous then they shouldn't travel but if there are still, say, 10,000 that can make it then it should go ahead.

andyf5
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Metcheck, in my experience, is much more reliable. BBC say that its -3 tops and only give an overall weather summary not hour by hour.

Was down Leith yesterday and was clear of snow so should be okay even is we get snow at 3.

Leithenhibby
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Surely travel safety is a contributing factor to an extent when a decision is made to call off the game.

That's not the point I was making... It sounds like you think a (not the) game should be called off based on that statement. :confused: The out of town fans should make a judgement call themselves and get as much information as they can before leaving. If they think it's too dangerous then they shouldn't travel but if there are still, say, 10,000 that can make it then it should go ahead.

Giving yourself plenty time to travel (if you decide to go) is probably the most important one, I left it a bit late for the Huns game, got caught in more snow and missed the first 5 mins.

Nothing worse than being late for the game and that has worked in my favour with being in the town anyway..:partyhibb

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 09:58 AM

I have a ticket for the game and based on the weather conditions tomorrow which are meant to worse in the West I will decide if its safe for me and mine to travel to the City.

I hope this sorts out the confusion of what I was trying to get accross.

Some poster were indicting I was wanting the game of because I live outside Edinburgh and was worried about my travel arrangements.

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 10:01 AM
It is chucking down with really heavy snow here in East Lothian, 11am

Wembley67
02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Snow!

ArabHibee
02-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Like I say though, just a bit of care is required on the roads. Leave a bit earlier than normal, drive slower and everything will be fine. :agree:

Cheers for the tip. How much snow do you get down your way? :cool2:

Steve20
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
It is chucking down with really heavy snow here in East Lothian, 11am
Really? I'm in East Lothian and it's only rain that's fell in the last half hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Livingston like the north pole. I don't think they have heard of gritters in this part of the world. Council's a bloody joke:grr:

Wembley67
02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Livingston like the north pole. I don't think they have heard of gritters in this part of the world. Council's a bloody joke:grr:

Nah it's Livingston thats the bloody joke :hnet:
:greengrin

Leithenhibby
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Nah it's Livingston thats the bloody joke :hnet:

:faf:

kaimendhibs
02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Believe me, i will be trying my damndest to make it tomorrow but weather brutal here.I live a mile off the main road, we havent seen a gritter at all. Had to miss work a day last week because snowed in. Travel can be dangerous, already wrote on car off coming home from hibs game. Just have to hope for the best really

Broken Gnome
02-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Dunfermline-Raith's just been postponed for the very same reason.

monktonharp
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Can we get back to what we have done for the last 50 years and if the pitch is playable the game goes ahead. YES ,But HFC should also make sure the surrounds are completely free of ice/snaw etc. they could borrow st Johnstone's tractor for a day:duck:

Dirkster23
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Is there any snow across in Edinburgh? Been snowing heavily on and off most of the morning in Glenrothes :rolleyes:

vahibbie
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Anyone know when they will be inspecting the surrounding area before the game, if it's necessary?

Streets around ER are all clear, drove past it this morning.
I'm at relatives on Leith Walk right now, cannae see any danger to game.
I'll be there:thumbsup::thumbsup:

California-Hibs
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
The game will definatly be on, theres hardly any snow here in Edinburgh at the moment, only here and there on some streets, but down Easter Road way its all clear, and the pumping of Hearts WILL be happening tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 11:43 AM
A very light snow shower has just started roughly 100 metres from the ground.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
Half way through typing that the weather's gooorgeous / blue skies, looked up and its black clouds and sleety snow...... :grr:

Jamesie
Mind you its more like hail than snow.

Sudds_1
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Mind you its more like hail than snow.

Cue for a song maybes?.........

......the hibs are here, what the hell do we care now.

FOR ITS A GRAND OLD TEAM..........................................!!:t humbsup:

Hibhibhooray
02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I am at Moredun and the snow is no half coming down:grr:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Cue for a song maybes?.........

......the hibs are here, what the hell do we care now.

FOR ITS A GRAND OLD TEAM..........................................!!:t humbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Starting to lie, albeit marginally, near Easter Road just now.

KerPlunk
02-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Amazing, I'm at Libby and it's blizzardlicious as well........:devil:

thischarmingman
02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
gettin the bus down tomorrow morning,anyone know what the a9 is like?

HibbyAndy
02-01-2010, 12:05 PM
gettin the bus down tomorrow morning,anyone know what the a9 is like?

No sure mate but the 37 from Penicuik will be heaving:agree:

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
weird day...bright sun shine 20 mins ago....now its a Blizzard....spent 2 hours digging one of the cars out yesterday to help tomorrow :grr::grr:

bob12345
02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Snowing heavily now in south edinburgh.

Coco Bryce
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
The snow is battering down here in East Lothian :boo hoo:

Darth Hibbie
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
The snow was really heavy on the M74 so if you are driving up give it plenty of time

greenlex
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Use this site and their live cameras. Not looking great on the travel front to be honest.
http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx
:boo hoo:

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
The snow was really heavy on the M74 so if you are driving up give it plenty of time

We are all booked on the train, snow, cars and alcohol dont mix.:wink:

Thecat23
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm also in Moredun, fancy helping me build a snowman? :greengrin

Darth Hibbie
02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
We are all booked on the train, snow, cars and alcohol dont mix.:wink:

Personally I don't mind drinking in the snow :greengrin

Hibs7
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS in Edinburgh just now half a mile from ER.

oconnors_strip
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
i dont think anyone can judge the conditions of ER and surroundings areas for tomorrow morning. leith always experiences different weather to the rest of edinburgh and the lothians. but i hope the sfa and police make a very early decision for all the travelling fans.

Littlest Hobo
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
It's blizzard conditions here in Tranent. I really hope the games no called off but if I'm being honest, it's no looking too clever.

GloryGlory
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
i dont think anyone can judge the conditions of ER and surroundings areas for tomorrow morning. leith always experiences different weather to the rest of edinburgh and the lothians. but i hope the sfa and police make a very early decision for all the travelling fans.

So tomorrow it'll be "Sunshine on Leith"? :wink: :thumbsup:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm roughly 100 metres from the ground and there is the lightest of dustings of snow. Nothing to put this game in danger at all IMO.

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 01:09 PM
No sure mate but the 37 from Penicuik will be heaving:agree:

Just as a matter of interest at this stage -

How often do these buses run, where do they leave from and where in the vicinity of ER can you get dropped off?

I hope that disnae tax your brain too much - I realise it's very early in the year!

:wink::greengrin

Littlest Hobo
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm roughly 100 metres from the ground and there is the lightest of dustings of snow. Nothing to put this game in danger at all IMO.

It's no just about the weather at the stadium, the police have to think about the fans safety too and from the stadium from surrounding areas. :wink:

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
It's no just about the weather at the stadium, the police have to think about the fans safety too and from the stadium from surrounding areas. :wink:

Unfortunately.

But they'll not postpone the New year sales because of the safety concerns of the poor shoppers!

Didnae get me started aboot the nanny state!

PaulSmith
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Again, the question is why and why is it a problem now after going 50 years without the police doing their own inspections of the 'surrounding areas' before games.

GloryGlory
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM

:agree: I was silly enough to decide to walk along Montgomery Street to ER to visit the ticket office last week, after Christmas shopping at John Lewis and in Leith Walk. Big mistake - absolutely treacherous, sheet of ice. Took me about 30 minutes to get along there.

If it's anything like my immediate area (not "touristy" enough so roads and pavements untouched by salt or grit so far this winter) then my guess is that our esteemed toon cooncil hasn't bothered its collective ar$e to ensure all side streets are safe.

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Again, the question is why and why is it a problem now after going 50 years without the police doing their own inspections of the 'surrounding areas' before games.

Effin Health & Safety legislation and the fear of litigation I'm afraid.

Common sense has now gone out of the window.

:grr:

PaulSmith
02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Effin Health & Safety legislation and the fear of litigation I'm afraid.

Common sense has now gone out of the window.

:grr:

H&S Legislation, are you sure? Are you saying that you could sue the police if you fell on your erse on the way to the game coming along Leith Walk.

Hakim Sar
02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Very heavy snow in south of city good few inches

If this freezes could spell trouble... Least it's 24 hours in advance. Only 10 mins from city centre complete whiteout !!!!

HibbyAndy
Just as a matter of interest at this stage -

How often do these buses run, where do they leave from and where in the vicinity of ER can you get dropped off?

I hope that disnae tax your brain too much - I realise it's very early in the year!

:wink::greengrin

Sunday service so there will a bus every half an hour, Leaves Tesco in Penicuik and will take me right down the bridges, i then need to get off there and get a bus outside stjames centre to leith walk, off there and a 10 minute walk to the pub.:greengrin

Littlest Hobo

Probably because more and more people have moved from the city to surrounding towns in the last fifty years because of the "CAR". Otherwise we would all have to live in fifty storey tower blocks.

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
H&S Legislation, are you sure? Are you saying that you could sue the police if you fell on your erse on the way to the game coming along Leith Walk.

I've no doubt some individuals will try it on the grounds that appropriate advice was not offered by the Police/Local Authorities regarding the safety of the roads etc.

Jack
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Seems the Dunfermline v Raith Rovers game was called off for the same reasons. Like the weather forecast is maybe bad for after the game so its off.

I know this has been debated earlier but I really think the police should not be deciding if a games is called off for the safety of the visiting fans. Fair doos if the area surrounding the stadium is treacherous but they should not take into consideration the conditions beyond that. If however they are able to justify that they should also be closing cinemas; shopping arcades; tourist attractions; hogmanay events etc. In fact they should just close down cities, towns and villages.

Bloody lunacy. :greengrin

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Game will be on.... (EDIT - looks like it may be OFF .... struggling with the weather!!)

2 teams from the same city - it's not like it's Hibs V Aberdeen with many fans travelling from far away.

Will be interesting to see what the pitch is like as it seemed bit heavy during the huns game.

Advice would be to walk on the side of the road and not pavements as some of them are death traps! :grr:

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Sunday service so there will a bus every half an hour, Leaves Tesco in Penicuik and will take me right down the bridges, i then need to get off there and get a bus outside stjames centre to leith walk, off there and a 10 minute walk to the pub.:greengrin

Thanks for that Andy.

:aok:

PaulSmith
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Probably because more and more people have moved from the city to surrounding towns in the last fifty years because of the "CAR". Otherwise we would all have to live in fifty storey tower blocks.

So the problem isn't the surrounding area's its roads like the M8 and A71 that lead into Edinburgh? If the roads are icey at Livingston would you be happy that the game being called off tomorrow, nope. As I said a complete farce and once that has to stop.

edit - even if I change it to the last 20 years what would be the argument then?

Littlest Hobo
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
So the problem isn't the surrounding area's its roads like the M8 and A71 that lead into Edinburgh? If the roads are icey at Livingston would you be happy that the game being called off tomorrow, nope. As I said a complete farce and once that has to stop.

Sorrry mate but as someone who lives in East Lothian, if the A1 was closed because of the weather well yes I'd be very happy with the police taking the decision to call the game off as would quite a few others who live down this way. I'd also expect the game to be called off if the M8 or the A71 was closed because of the weather. What you have to remember is that there are hundreds if not thousands of us who live out with Edinburgh who are ST holders. But not just for these selfish reasons, there is safety to think about first and foremost, surely there isn't even room for argument on this one?

HFC 0-7
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM

edit - even if I change it to the last 20 years what would be the argument then?

HEY! I would need to use the M8 or A71 to get to ER. I dont want it cancelled but wouldnt mind if they delayed kick off just for me if I was running a bit late because of the snow!

Phil MaGlass
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Just heard from a mate in the police back in Edinburgh, the reason why the police are calling off so many games is that they dont have the officers to cover the games due to so many on leave,seems they under estimated how many they would need over the festive period,they are saying the games have to be called off through public safety fears,unbelievable eh?:grr:

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
HEY! I would need to use the M8 or A71 to get to ER. I dont want it cancelled but wouldnt mind if they delayed kick off just for me if I was running a bit late because of the snow!

We have to be safe when we travel to and from games like yourself i'll use the M8 tomorrow to get to ER But I shouldn't have to put my life on the line to get there.

The game is all ticket so money has been spent so if there was problems with fans getting to the stadium I hope someone would make a decision to delay kick off.

And I'm not talking about 1 or 2 fans running late.

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Sorrry mate but as someone who lives in East Lothian, if the A1 was closed because of the weather well yes I'd be very happy with the police taking the decision to call the game off as would quite a few others who live down this way. I'd also expect the game to be called off if the M8 or the A71 was closed because of the weather. What you have to remember is that there are hundreds if not thousands of us who live out with Edinburgh who are ST holders. But not just for these selfish reasons, there is safety to think about first and foremost, surely there isn't even room for argument on this one?

I agree up to a point.

I have a round trip of 50 miles to make but ultimately the decision to attend, or not to attend should be MINE.

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Temperatures are once again plummeting, roads and pavements will require extreme care come 5pm.

Public safety v a game of football? no competition really.

:top marks

At the end of the day it's only a game of Football I think some people forget that.

HFC 0-7
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
We have to be safe when we travel to and from games like yourself i'll use the M8 tomorrow to get to ER But I shouldn't have to put my life on the line to get there.

The game is all ticket so money has been spent so if there was problems with fans getting to the stadium I hope someone would make a decision to delay kick off.

And I'm not talking about 1 or 2 fans running late.

I am not talking about delaying it for one or two fans, unless its me and my dad that was running late! :wink:

PaulSmith
02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Temperatures are once again plummeting, roads and pavements will require extreme care come 5pm.

What a complete and utter over reaction, sorry mate for being so blunt but for God's sake have a word.

I must have missed all those years of people suffering coming back from a football game over the last 25 years. Absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back up this public safety rubbish.

I think that one poster has hit the nail on the head with the police being skint and over stretched

NAE NOOKIE
Heavy snow off and on in the Galashiels area at the moment, but the roads are OK with care. As far as I know it isnt supposed to snow on Sunday so I would think the game will be on.

Would think that the local council in Edinburgh would have a stab at salting the pavements round about ER though. It should be a no brainer for them to target a place where 17,000 folk are supposed to turn up at the same time, the pavements at the Hun game were a bloomin accident waiting to happen.

Oh silly me I forgot that its football fans we are talking about and they dont pay council tax. Or do they? :cool2:

GreenCastle

Fair point :agree:

But I do feel this country doesn't help itself with the preparation to help people get there etc.

Compared to other countries - the slightest bit of snow and we all panic and stop leading our lives.

The council has to get their fingers out and grit the roads / pavements and clear the snow on the main roads to make it safe for people.

I see the rugby at Muddyfield is going on as planned today :agree:

Golden Bear
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Just heard from a mate in the police back in Edinburgh, the reason why the police are calling off so many games is that they dont have the officers to cover the games due to so many on leave,seems they under estimated how many they would need over the festive period,they are saying the games have to be called off through public safety fears,unbelievable eh?:grr:

Very believable.

Littlest Hobo
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM

But I do feel this country doesn't help itself with the preparation to help people get there etc.

Compared to other countries - the slightest bit of snow and we all panic and stop leading our lives.

The council has to get their fingers out and grit the roads / pavements and clear the snow on the main roads to make it safe for people.

Agreed :thumbsup:

brog
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM

At the end of the day it's only a game of Football I think some people forget that.

That's fine but in that case they should shut everything down. Why should it only be football? It's also nothing to do with H & S, purely down to the police. As I said on another post it never seems to happen in England!

ArabHibee
02-01-2010, 02:09 PM

I really don't see the point in comparing ourselves with other countries eg. Finland and Sweden, who know that they are going to have snow and have put aside the money and have the facilities to deal with it.

We don't (normally) get snow like this and for such an extended amount of time, the councils do not put money aside for these kinds of things, hence why pavements etc aren't getting cleared.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is right, I was peed off walking around in Perth City Centre on Wednesday and Thursday, nearly slipped on my erchie about 3 times because the pavements are just sheet ice.

oconnors_strip
02-01-2010, 02:11 PM
think this calls for hibs fans in the area of ER to get out and salt those pavements. then send your receipts to mr petrie:greengrin

brog
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
English games hit by bad weather

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47020000/jpg/_47020922_bc_c226.jpg Bristol City's FA Cup tie against Cardiff has been postponed

Several matches across England have been postponed because of bad weather in the FA Cup and the Football League.
FA Cup third round ties to suffer are Accrington v Gillingham, Brentford v Doncaster and Bristol City v Cardiff but are rearranged for 12 January.
In League One Leyton Orient v Yeovil and Walsall v Charlton are off.
While in League Two Darlington v Port Vale, Hereford v Crewe, Macclesfield v Morecambe and Rochdale v Rotherham have all suffered from frozen pitches.
The three FA Cup third round matches called off have been rescheduled for an evening kick-off at 1945 GMT on Tuesday 12 January.

Exactly!! These games have been postponed because the pitches are frozen, not because the Police have told them their car park's unsafe. I have no problems if pitch is unplayable, I do have a problem with Police only closing down football because streets are slippy & apparently only doing it in Scotland.

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 02:15 PM
That's fine but in that case they should shut everything down. Why should it only be football? It's also nothing to do with H & S, purely down to the police. As I said on another post it never seems to happen in England!

I hear what your saying but you must take in to account that the weather in Say Aberdeen or Inverness in Dec/Jan is going to worse that say Glasgow/Edinburgh.

The Police appear to be getting more involved which is not a bad thing because they control all events not just football.

Its true that England don't seem to have as many problems when it comes down to getting football matches played and areas cleared.

They must have better run council's that we have up here in Scotland

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I really don't see the point in comparing ourselves with other countries eg. Finland and Sweden, who know that they are going to have snow and have put aside the money and have the facilities to deal with it.

We don't (normally) get snow like this and for such an extended amount of time, the councils do not put money aside for these kinds of things, hence why pavements etc aren't getting cleared.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is right, I was peed off walking around in Perth City Centre on Wednesday and Thursday, nearly slipped on my erchie about 3 times because the pavements are just sheet ice.

So whats your point :greengrin

Seriously - our winters do get cold - ok maybe not Russia cold or Finland /Sweden but surely the safety of people on roads / pavements are important to the council. If they don't put money aside (which I honestly don't know enough about) then they should rethink what they use it for.

At a time of year when we have many visitors due to Hogmany etc then surely they want to give a good impression to people from around the world.

I don't expect every street in the city or surrounding the city. But I expect the main routes for travel and main pavements to be safe / cleared so the majority can continue with thier day to day lives.

Which leads us back to ER - several main roads near by which should be cleared / safe and we should have no problem unless the pitch is frozen with the game being on :greengrin

Lofarl
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I think the weather was worse last week against the huns, so if the soapdodgers can make the trek from weegielamd. Im sure common sense will provail.

ArabHibee
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
think this calls for hibs fans in the area of ER to get out and salt those pavements. then send your receipts to mr petrie:greengrin

:top marks:agree:

Jamie and Hibee girl - get your shovels and salt oot!!

HibbyKeith
02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Flurry of snow about an hour ago, clear now though, ground is too wet for the snow to land. pavements are wet and there is patchy sections of ice but its atleast 80% better than last weekend.

would need some serious weather problems overnight to threaten the game imo.

c'mon the hibees! :notworthy:

Jack
02-01-2010, 02:36 PM

If it was really a question of public safety then, as I asked before, why is it for example that non-essential shops are open for the sales. Why is only football matches that are being cancelled while it is apparently safe for these shops and the rugby to be ‘open’? Why is it safe enough to travel for other purposes in hugely bigger numbers than are expected at ER tomorrow?

JimBHibees
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Weather forecast for tomorrow appears to be -3 at about the time of the game with little or no snow forecast so IMO only threat to this game will be if the undersoil heating isnt working properly. Hope RP has enough 50p pieces to keep the power going :greengrin

hibiedude
02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Main roads in the West are white with snow and not a gritter sight

Snow is heavy in the Livi, Blackburn, Bathgate areas

oconnors_strip
02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
mind and wrap up warm hibees!!!!! going to be very cold at the game and if you have been drinking remember the weather can effect you more.

Jack
02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Ask the police

As someone who was suggesting there should be no competition between “Public safety v a game of football” I thought you may be able to explain why you thought a football event should be postponed when other activities, where the same or even bigger public safety concerns might arise, are not even considered for cancellation.

Gatecrasher
02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
If they call it off due to icey pavements it would be a joke because they allowed the new year street party to go ahead and the place was an ice rink

Dalkeith
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
was down ER way this afternoon pavements and roads looked fine to me

TornadoHibby
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
was down ER way this afternoon pavements and roads looked fine to me

Me too and I agree with all you say! :agree:

Also managed to have a look at the pitch and it looks in good shape and very green! :wink:

C'mon the Hibees! :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
just off the phone to a mate, tells me the Easter Road areas are fine!

Fingers crossed, again.:cool2:

James70
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Full scale blizzard blowing here now, I've had to dig the car out several times over the last week or so and it looks like I'll be missing my second game in a row. :grr:

Once this new stand gets built I'll need to consider whether its worth renewing my ST. Ah well, at least I can watch the game on the telly.

KeithTheHibby
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Just drove the M8 back to Livi from Edinburgh, it was fine and would take a serious downpour of snow for it to be affected.

Game on unless it changes dramatically.

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Right this is now getting ridiculous..I went out and cleared the paths / access for car again and gritted things as it was well below freezing and did not want new stuff hardning up...back in house 20 minutes and its started a blizzard again...already another inch :grr::grr::grr:

Whats the city like now? After todays refs / police made todays games such a joke...nothing would surprise me

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I didn't know there was no consideration for other events being cancelled due to the weather so in that respect I agree it does seem unusual.

But there is. The Street Party was cancelled twice because of the weather, and the consequent risk to public safety.

As far as the Derby is concerned, I think it is probably to do with, as you say, the fact that there are rival supporters and the potential for trouble no matter the weather.

However, having experienced the sales this week, that was a damn sight more violent than it will be tomorrow!! :greengrin

joe breezy
02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
But there is. The Street Party was cancelled twice because of the weather, and the consequent risk to public safety.

As far as the Derby is concerned, I think it is probably to do with, as you say, the fact that there are rival supporters and the potential for trouble no matter the weather.

However, having experienced the sales this week, that was a damn sight more violent than it will be tomorrow!! :greengrin

So if the police cancel the game it's because they don't want anyone that is paggering to slip on the ice then hurt themselves :o)

Sprouleflyer
02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Right this is now getting ridiculous..I went out and cleared the paths / access for car again and gritted things as it was well below freezing and did not want new stuff hardning up...back in house 20 minutes and its started a blizzard again...already another inch :grr::grr::grr:

Whats the city like now? After todays refs / police made todays games such a joke...nothing would surprise me

It's pretty bad in South Queensferry, cars sliding all over the place and accidents everywhere.

Don't know whats it like in Edinburgh, but don't be surprised if the police call the game off tomorrow!!!

fife hfc
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Here in Dunfermline the snows falling heavily again, how is it in Edinburgh? looking out the window I would not be too disappointed if the game was called off as I know it will be one hell of a journey getting in for the game.

lapsedhibee
02-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Advice would be to walk on the side of the road and not pavements as some of them are death traps! :grr:

Are there many fatalities as a result of icy pavements, then? :confused:

woody47
02-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Starting to panic a bit here. Snow is getting deeper here and M9 has been closed close to Edinburgh due to ice. Just hope the gritters get their act together soon.

GloryGlory
02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
If they call it off due to icey pavements it would be a joke because they allowed the new year street party to go ahead and the place was an ice rink

Yeah but has anyone ever told you that Edinburgh's motto means "Everything for the tourist, nothing for the citizen"?!! :wink: :wink:

CalgaryHibs
02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Can anyone give me an update on the weather for tomorrow and is the game still on ?

Thanx

TheEastTerrace
02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Can anyone give me an update on the weather for tomorrow and is the game still on ?

Thanx

Currently hailing it down with snow in Porty. Game still on as it stands.

Spike Mandela
Don't know but I'm stuck in Edinburgh just now as the M9 has been shut at Newbridge due to Ice. Just the sort of thing that makes Lothians finest postpone games.:grr:

Cool_Hand_Luke

Thanx

Weather is pretty bad just now. Just looked out my window and the snow is lying on the pavements and roads (on Easter Road).

CalgaryHibs
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Sounds like beautiful weather there,

i guess there's no chance of the game been called off ?

Hibs Class
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Given it's a local derby, if the buses are running tomorrow the game should be on.

Gatecrasher
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah but has anyone ever told you that Edinburgh's motto means "Everything for the tourist, nothing for the citizen"?!! :wink: :wink:

No but I know now :greengrin

Hibbychick
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
According to BBC news....

tomorrow will be cold (-3) and sunny :scarf:

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Given it's a local derby, if the buses are running tomorrow the game should be on.

use your shanks pony ya lazzy flumps :grr::grr:

McD
02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Been snowing on and off throughout the day in Livi and Bathgate, never really heavy, but the roads are now a nightmare, really bad, cars sliding about.

M8 was moving very slowly and gingerly when I passed over it.

Hibby Bairn
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM

No. But only because anyone over the age of 60 hasn't been out their house for the past 14 days.

Jack
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
If there is a question mark over public safety then it would be correct for the police to question whether the game should go ahead or not.

I really don't know the answer regarding other events although I think groups of rival supporters may be an issue which isn't considered with shopping.

I also think that other things will be taken into consideration such as weather forecasts.

The street party organisers will have had to pay for policing, the police are the ones who decide on the numbers of police required.
I think football clubs also pay for policing at games with the police deciding on numbers required inside and the surrounding area.

Precautions were taken for the Royal mile procession which was then evacuated for public protection. criticism has already been levelled for allowing it to go ahead in the conditions.

I didn't know there was no consideration for other events being cancelled due to the weather so in that respect I agree it does seem unusual.

We are somewhere closer to agreement :greengrin

HibbyKeith
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
snow been constant for the last hour or two here now, and its lying too.

fingers crossed the gritters get out in force, i noticed last week while walking from the house to the ground there had been a pavement gritter out, may need some of them tomorrow :grr:

Houchy
02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Main roads in the West are white with snow and not a gritter sight

Snow is heavy in the Livi, Blackburn, Bathgate areas

Don't get me started on these erses at Bathgate cooncil. We just sat for an hour in a traffic jam because a petrol tanker couldn't get out a junction. A grit lorry/snow plough 3 cars behind done a 3 point turn and pssed off back down the road rather than help out.

When the tanker did finally move, all he left was a sheet of ice from spinning his wheels!!! A police car finally turned up but done nothing to help and the police just sat in the car watching everyone struggle.:grr:

BLOODY USELESS and I'll be calling the cooncil first thing on Monday to complain.

Aldo
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
We have had about 3 to 4 inches here in Leven and the roads have have not been gritted. I am of to my work at 9 and need to go up a couple of dogdy hills. May not make it. :greengrin

matty_f
02-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Seriously concerned about how able I'll be to get my motor out my street in Dunfermline to get to the game tomorrow. Bollocks to this weather like.

Houchy
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Seriously concerned about how able I'll be to get my motor out my street in Dunfermline to get to the game tomorrow. Bollocks to this weather like.

Well and truely sick of it now. Far cry from a few weeks back when it was a case of "woohoo, look kids, it's snowing. Who's coming sledging"

Now it's like "ah, *******, snowing again!!!"

Dalkeith
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM

same here in dalkeith although i'm more concerned about getting out to pub tonight:grr:

HibbyAndy
Well and truely sick of it now. Far cry from a few weeks back when it was a case of "woohoo, look kids, it's snowing. Who's coming sledging"

Now it's like "ah, *******, snowing again!!!"

Qoute of the day :agree:

:hilarious

ScottB
Not sure of the specifics, but a mate of mine from Fife can't get home from Edinburgh due to road closures...

lapsedhibee
No. But only because anyone over the age of 60 hasn't been out their house for the past 14 days.

Do all people over 60 die when they fall over, then? :confused:

Judas Iscariot
02-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Good :agree:

No old folk getting in my road shuffling about in the way whilst i was out at the sales and even better the roads have been a "Old Biddy" free zone..

Excellent stuff :top marks

Hibby Bairn
02-01-2010, 06:21 PM

I didnae say they would all die. Just the likelihood of at least one or two. And therefore some fatalaties. :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Good :agree:

No old folk getting in my road shuffling about in the way whilst i was out at the sales and even better the roads have been a "Old Biddy" free zone..

Excellent stuff :top marks

What about the old biddies getting to the game tomorrow though?

Big_D
02-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Not sure of the specifics, but a mate of mine from Fife can't get home from Edinburgh due to road closures...

Where in Fife does he live ?

Houchy
02-01-2010, 06:28 PM

:agree: Totally in agreement

Judas Iscariot
02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
What about the old biddies getting to the game tomorrow though?

Private Jet? Helicopter?

lapsedhibee
02-01-2010, 06:29 PM

I didnae say they would all die. Just the likelihood of at least one or two. And therefore some fatalaties. :greengrin

So your answer to my original quesstion is really "No, because hardly anyone dies as a result of falling over" rather than "No, because everyone stays indoors." :dunno:

In any case, more people of all ages die of accidents within the home than of falling over on pavements, so they'd be better off going to the footy, complaining about the cold, telling everyone how old they are, etc, than risking life and limb cooped up in their hooses. :agree:

Hibby Bairn
02-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Private Jet? Helicopter?

I'm serious ya bam. There must be hundreds if not thousands of OAP's who go to watch hibs. They'll never make it....and might be a consideration for the police re safety.

Hibby Bairn
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM
So your answer to my original quesstion is really "No, because hardly anyone dies as a result of falling over" rather than "No, because everyone stays indoors." :dunno:

In any case, more people of all ages die of accidents within the home than of falling over on pavements, so they'd be better off going to the footy, complaining about the cold, telling everyone how old they are, etc, than risking life and limb cooped up in their hooses. :agree:

The answer is no because those most likely to fall over on icy pavements don't go out. But they wouldn't fall over if they weren't icy.

And given 99% of Edinburgh pavements haven't been gritted in the past two weeks then this has a knock on impact on these same people getting to the game tomorrow....which I think is what this thread is all about!

SmashinGlass
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
same here in dalkeith although i'm more concerned about getting out to pub tonight:grr:

Was out in Dalkeith on Boxing Night with the missus. She fell 4 times and me once, chipping a bone in my hand in the process!

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Hibby Bairn
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Was out in Dalkeith on Boxing Night with the missus. She fell 4 times and me once, chipping a bone in my hand in the process!

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Any fatalaties?

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Fatalities no :confused:

Numerous people falling over young and old :agree:

Walk on the pavement if you want....good luck though :wink:

Snow back on in Central Edinburgh...time to throw some snow balls at the jambos :greengrin

SmashinGlass
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Any fatalaties?

Na, fortunately not. Very hazy heads in the morning though!!

sleeping giant
02-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Edinburgh Bypass was a nightmare tonight as was the A899 through Broxburn (black ice):grr:

Worried about tomorrow:grr:

Lmc2105
02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/dg_forecast_warnings.html

not looking good people!!

during the week aswell heavy snow :grr:

just back from my gran's and there is number 31 stuck sideways on the Gillie road and the Bypass is a nightmare!!

i fear for tomorrow:boo hoo:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
About half an inch has come down round and about Easter Road. Lochend Road is like an ice rink, as is Restalrig Avenue.

About half an hour ago I slid down London Road at 90 degrees, somehow avoiding a head on collision, and I nothing but contempt for the pravda-esque Edinburgh Council which is currently claiming that "all main arterial roads have been gritted twice today" - complete nonsense.

If you want to hear this rubbish with your own ears, give them a call -and piece of your mind - on 200 2000. If this game is off tomorrow, it will only be they who are to blame. Why weren't gritters out earlier on?

Hanny
02-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Edinburgh Bypass was a nightmare tonight as was the A899 through Broxburn (black ice):grr:

Worried about tomorrow:grr:

not looking good people!!

during the week aswell heavy snow :grr:

just back from my gran's and there is number 31 stuck sideways on the Gillie road and the Bypass is a nightmare!!

i fear for tomorrow:boo hoo:

It's chaos at the moment according to Forth 2.

Just had a £15 taxi ride from Causewayside to Prestonfield (not far, usually fiver). Taxi (or any other car for that matter) never got above 20mph and had to reverse back down my street because he couldn't get up it!!

I was 100% sure the Rangers game would be on, but I fear for tomorrow.

I would advise against anyone in Edinburgh travelling by road tonight unless it's urgent.

capitals_finest
02-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I will be surprised if the game is on tomorrow. Just even getting around town is bad never mind coming from outside Edinburgh.

I m assuming there is another shortage of salt this year as the pavements around the city centre and most roads other than bus routes have yet to be salted. Pretty grim.

hibeesdude
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Loads of snow here in dunfermline - at friends house for a few beers and had to snap one of his back step....think it might be freezing

if the games on my problems getting there I think

Ooops and there's the snow on again

Hanny
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
About half an inch has come down round and about Easter Road. Lochend Road is like an ice rink, as is Restalrig Avenue.

About half an hour ago I slid down London Road at 90 degrees, somehow avoiding a head on collision, and I nothing but contempt for the pravda-esque Edinburgh Council which is currently claiming that "all main arterial roads have been gritted twice today" - complete nonsense.

If you want to hear this rubbish with your own ears, give them a call -and piece of your mind - on 200 2000. If this game is off tomorrow, it will only be they who are to blame. Why weren't gritters out earlier on?

I did see gritters this afternoon but the roads on the south of Edinburgh are treacherous.

The roads can't be gritted now because they are all choaked with traffic and there are accidents everywhere!! :grr:

2 and a half hours to get over the Forth Road Bridge apparently.

Lothian Buses are thinking about stopping all services shortly, according to the radio, roads too bad abd buses can't get up the hills!

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Looking outside again in in Edinburgh ...I am actually a bit worried it may be off tomorrow :boo hoo:

GloryGlory
02-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I will be surprised if the game is on tomorrow. Just even getting around town is bad never mind coming from outside Edinburgh.

I m assuming there is another shortage of salt this year as the pavements around the city centre and most roads other than bus routes have yet to be salted. Pretty grim.

:agree: Live near the centre just off a main road and we haven't seen a grain of salt this winter!!! Road outside my house has been an ice rink for the last two weeks.

KerPlunk
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Things getting a bit serious up in Liberton now. Looks like the buses can't get up Kirkbrae / Liberton Brae, snow getting thick on the ground.

No gritters ????????? :grr:

capitals_finest
02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I did see gritters this afternoon but the roads on the south of Edinburgh are treacherous.

The roads can't be gritted now because they are all choaked with traffic and there are accidents everywhere!! :grr:

2 and a half hours to get over the Forth Road Bridge apparently.
Lothian Buses are thinking about stopping all services shortly, according to the radio, roads too bad abd buses can't get up the hills!

I KB'd fife tonight staying at my maws :greengrin

Currently munching a home made chip buttie :thumbsup:

Lmc2105
02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Things getting a bit serious up in Liberton now. Looks like the buses can't get up Kirkbrae / Liberton Brae, snow getting thick on the ground.

No gritters ????????? :grr:

yup buses diverted up to the Gilmerton Road mate however a 31 has went sideways just of the opening to Liberton High School and Camertoll is at a stand still!!

i would advise no1 to travel!

ps bypass a nightmare lorry slid of the road!

just hope my grandad is okay driving home!

hibee_girl
02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Snow is coming down pretty fast and heavy here now

Cool_Hand_Luke
02-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Snow still coming down heavy at Easter Road :agree:

lapsedhibee
02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
just hope my grandad is okay driving home!
He shouldn't be out if he's over 60! :grr:

Mag7
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Looking outside again in in Edinburgh ...I am actually a bit worried it may be off tomorrow :boo hoo:

Snowing thick and fast. I think we could see a morning call-off. Stick close to your radios folks.

Dashing Bob S
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Could be touch and go if its heavy snow in the night.

Westie1875
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Snow is coming down pretty fast and heavy here now

:agree: Just looked out the window and the place is totally white, that didn't take long.

Lmc2105
02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
He shouldn't be out if he's over 60! :grr:

yeah ano but he wouldn't let me go home anyother way:boo hoo:

hibee_girl
:agree: Just looked out the window and the place is totally white, that didn't take long.

Hopefully it'll stop soon :pray: then they'll have all morning to clear the stadium/roads

Alex B
Could be touch and go if its heavy snow in the night.

Hibs will need to make an early decision. If it keeps up like this we'll struggle to get through to Edinburgh and I don't fancy setting off only to find it's been called off at 2pm!

Del Boy
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
must be a bit doubtful I think, looks pretty bad just now!

Sudds_1
02-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Hopefully it'll stop soon :pray: then they'll have all morning to clear the stadium/roads

is it that bad HG?........you're nearby aren't you? get out there now and make a start! :wink::greengrin

hibee
I can tell it's bad as I can't see my street and there was nothing here about an hour ago, we never get snow lying here !

Frazerbob
Somebody on Brokeback.co.uk saying they can see inside the stadium from they're flat and the pitch is now covered in snow. There must be serious doubt about the game going ahead IMO.

Any news of an early pitch inspection? I'm planning on leaving Aberdeen at 9am :boo hoo:

hibee_girl
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
is it that bad HG?........you're nearby aren't you? get out there now and make a start! :wink::greengrin

It's calmed down a bit now but it was pretty heavy there for a while :agree:

Hanny

Forth 2 say it's to snow until Midnight :boo hoo:

Still 3 and a half hours to go :grr:

hibee
Somebody on Brokeback.co.uk saying they can see inside the stadium from they're flat and the pitch is now covered in snow. There must be serious doubt about the game going ahead IMO.

Any news of an early pitch inspection? I'm planning on leaving Aberdeen at 9am :boo hoo:

Doubt it will be before then but you never know, I wouldn't bother leaving unless there's a heatwave overnight !

hibee_girl
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Tbh I'd be surprised if the pitch is covered, every time it's snowed the last few weeks the pitch has remained pure green while everything around it is covered in snow.

I can't see the pitch right now cos it's too dark!!

jiggerman
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
The game is a no-goer.

Even if the snow does stop, temperatures are due to stay below 0 right throughout tonight and tomorrow - police wont have it.

I think we can put the season tickets back in the drawer unfortunately...:bitchy:

Mag7
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

I'd imagine it will be 10am inspection at the earliest, but I think the pitch will probably be OK. It'll be the stands and the roads in and into Edinburgh that will see the game called off.

HibbyKeith
02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
not a kick in the backside off 2inches of snow in lochend now (too cold to get the xmas cracker measuring tape out to be exact), the heavy flakes have stopped for now but still light sleet falling.

Davy Mac
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll just send out my kids and there pals who are currently clearing every inch of snow lying around the street.

Street fight wi snowballs - don't you just love it!!:greengrin

It'll thaw before the festivities get underway, anyway the snow keeps the frost off the pitch and the undersoil heating will take care of the rest.

Del Boy
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
barring a big change in the weather game has NO CHANCE IMO. I'm about a mile or so from Easter Rd.:boo hoo:

Frazerbob
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I'd imagine it will be 10am inspection at the earliest, but I think the pitch will probably be OK. It'll be the stands and the roads in and into Edinburgh that will see the game called off.

Could snow at the back of the East be an issue as well? I see Nicky weaver was pelted with snow balls by the sheep today, pretty sure the polis won't want that happening at an Edinburgh Derby!

GreenCastle
Wow just looked out the window and the first time I've seen a snow plough go past with flashing lights on! Maybe they have read this thread.

Cars look like they are struggling on the roads.

I would imagine ER have the undersoil heating on - but as keeps getting repeated it's the surrounding areas and public safety :boo hoo:

Sudds_1
Tbh I'd be surprised if the pitch is covered, every time it's snowed the last few weeks the pitch has remained pure green while everything around it is covered in snow.

I can't see the pitch right now cos it's too dark!!

can you usually see it from where u are HG?.......phone rod and get the lights put on! ......

......for the benefit of our Yam friend referred to above with the night vision glasses who says its white!:wink:

sahib
I hope the game is not called off for the sake of those travelling from outside the city. This is the Edinburgh derby, if people choose to live elsewhere then more fool them. Bunch of rates dodging baskets imho. :wink:

capitals_finest
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM

Correct.

SmashinGlass
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Its eased off up here (gracemount) but there's about 2-3 inches sitting on my car (been in the drive since half 4) with the neighbours car having about 4-5 inches. I think its gonna take a miracle for the game to go ahead!

:grr::grr:

madabouthibs
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Pretty heavy now in West Lothian, and its not taking long for it to cover the main roads. :boo hoo:

Littlest Hobo
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I hope the game is not called off for the sake of those travelling from outside the city. This is the Edinburgh derby, if people choose to live elsewhere then more fool them. Bunch of rates dodging baskets imho. :wink:

Oh how right you are my friend :wink::greengrin

down-the-slope
02-01-2010, 07:43 PM
And to think all you Townies doubted us country bumpkins when we said it was bad and heading your way :tsk tsk:

I might even post some pics I toolk 30 mins ago.....if I can remember how :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2010, 07:43 PM

I'd prefer a 9am inspection. Our train leaves preston at 10am, if its called off after that, well we will just have a hell of a piss up. :devil:

Frazerbob
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Oi! I'll have you know my "rates" (or council tax as it's known these days) are higher in Aberdeen than they were in Leith! :grr:

But I agree with the sentiment! More folk would have headed to the Gyle last weekend when the weather was shocking, didn't see that getting closed to save the public!

bingo70

:agree:

glory hunting bassas, if everyone supported there local club Scottish football would be a whole lot better :wink:

Cool_Hand_Luke
Stopped snowing here :agree:

hibee_girl
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Looks like it's stopped here for now

Gus
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Im not far from easter road and it its lying, think the snow/ice will get the game called off

I hope its not called off because off an icey pitch, after all those people knocking other grounds for having a similar problem:agree:

ArabHibee
02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
:agree:

glory hunting bassas, if everyone supported there local club Scottish football would be a whole lot better :wink:

:shhhsh!: :whistle:

hibee_girl
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
According to the BBC that should be the last of the snow - http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5

:pray: :pray:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
barring a big change in the weather game has NO CHANCE IMO. I'm about a mile or so from Easter Rd.:boo hoo:

The attached photo was taken about 250 metres from the stadium roughly fifteen minutes ago. I think the picture speaks for itself. Unless there is a thaw overnight, this game is in doubt.

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Could snow at the back of the East be an issue as well? I see Nicky weaver was pelted with snow balls by the sheep today, pretty sure the polis won't want that happening at an Edinburgh Derby!

To be fair if Hibs were on the ball in the morning they could get that cleared before kick off!

Hanny
02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
The attached photo was taken about 250 metres from the stadium roughly fifteen minutes ago. I think the picture speaks for itself. Unless there is a thaw overnight, this game is in doubt.

It's to be -5 tonight :boo hoo:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 07:54 PM

And before anyone asks, no I'm not going out again to check if its lying round the stadium!

Stingbat
02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I stay in Albion Terrace, less than 500 yards from the stadium and everything is white outside, around an inch of snow at least.

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Stopped snowing...

Now off to ER to clear the paths...or get the youth team to do it :greengrin

down-the-slope
According to the BBC that should be the last of the snow - http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5

Right get yer spade oot and get clearing then:wink:

Sudds_1

:pray::worried:hope so......I'm SO up for this one!

capitals_finest
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
It's to be -5 tonight :boo hoo:

met office saying -7 :paranoid:

RoxburghHibs
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
The snow is very heavy here but I am in Uphall so fingers crossed it's not as bad in Leith.

Gatecrasher
02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
If it's stopped in toon then it's here now, I'll have to dig the car out again!:grr:

Jamie
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
The gritters were out in force in lochend,easter road,leith earlier (was behind 2 different gritters in leith walk and Lochend) before the snow came on, you need to get the grit down first for it to be effective and they have :thumbsup:

mon the hibs :party:

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
The gritters were out in force in lochend,easter road,leith earlier before the snow came on, you need to get the grit down first for it to be effective and they have :thumbsup:

Shame they forgot about London Road :grr:

Dirkster23
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Met office weather warning not looking good for tonight/ Sunday morning :bitchy:

FranckSuzy
02-01-2010, 08:05 PM
What I want to know is how on earth did we manage in the days before undersoil heating etc? I remember appeals going out on the radio for folk to help clear pitches before big games years ago. The snow was always bad in Jan/Feb in the 70's and yet the New Years games were rarely called off (IIRC). Mind you, if it was at Tynie I'm sure a few were late call offs due to THEM not wanting to pay the overtime bill for the police :wink:. In fact, folk used to walk to Tynecastle for the SW where I am coz the buses were like hen's teeth. No H & S issues then. The canal was utilised too :greengrin

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
The gritters were out in force in lochend,easter road,leith earlier (was behind 2 different gritters in leith walk and Lochend) before the snow came on, you need to get the grit down first for it to be effective and they have :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Never good getting stuck behind a gritter or going past one on the motorway :grr:

Just seen a snow plough go past again - the problem is there actually isn't enough snow for it to clear :faf: Ahh well least they are trying!

Jamesie
02-01-2010, 08:09 PM
What I want to know is how on earth did we manage in the days before undersoil heating etc? I remember appeals going out on the radio for folk to help clear pitches before big games years ago. The snow was always bad in Jan/Feb in the 70's and yet the New Years games were rarely called off (IIRC). Mind you, if it was at Tynie I'm sure a few were late call offs due to THEM not wanting to pay the overtime bill for the police :wink:. In fact, folk used to walk to Tynecastle for the SW where I am coz the buses were like hen's teeth. No H & S issues then. The canal was utilised too :greengrin

Therein lies the difficulty nowadays :grr:

ScottB
02-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I live in Slateford and its been brutal here, snows stopped now, but at least an inch has fallen in half an hour or so, not a drop of grit anywhere, cars skidding about the place etc.

Problem is, it's to go down to -7 tonight, even a bit of snow will freeze solid and make anything not already gritted treacherous.

Littlest Hobo
02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Snow stopped here in East Lothian. I really just wanted to see my new avator. You like :wink::thumbsup:

G15 Hibs
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Get the orange ball out. It'll be fine.

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Snow stopped here in East Lothian. I really just wanted to see my new avator. You like :wink::thumbsup:

:top marks :faf::faf:

GreenCastle
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
The good thing is that it's a 3pm ko.

Surely with it being an Edinburgh derby they can wait till 1pm ?

Ok I know many people / leave 9am and full credit to you - but I am sure you would rather leave it later and find out it's on ?

greenlex
02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Cant see me being there tomorrow if its on:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

cad
02-01-2010, 08:19 PM
The pitch will be OK , walkings the problem ,nae grit on the pavements nae game .