PDA

View Full Version : Are our strikers over-rated?

Keith_M
31-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Firstly, this has nothing to do with Saturday's game, as I'm not one of the few in deep depression over one poor game. I'm still positive about Yogi and the season ahead.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this for a while and it's a genuine question, not a point of view, so please don't jump down my throat. Hibs have been getting plaudits for the strikeforce, but is it overplayed? Hibs this season have scored a maximum of 3 goals in any one game and, in fact, have only managed this on two occasions all season. If the strikeforce was as good as some make out, surely they would have tanned at least one team by now, by a similar scoreline to what Rangers have been achieving regularly of late?

So, is our strikeforce overrated? Have they simply not completely gelled yet? Do the team as a whole only give just enough to win games? Does it really matter? Thoughts (other than LTYF, etc)?

I feel like I should put on a 'tin-helmet' at this point but I'm going to brave it anyway :wink:

Gmack7
31-12-2009, 04:36 PM
not overrated but maybe not in there best position,riordan for me should be beside stokes in a 4 4 2, imho of course

Broken Gnome
31-12-2009, 04:37 PM
In SPL terms, definitely not.

monktonharp
31-12-2009, 04:37 PM
no,I dont feel that our strikeforce is over-rated. if we had a stronger midfield to supply ammo,our men can do the biz,added to the fact that Deeks is a real danger if played up front!!!! some team is gonna feel the pain inflicted by our strikers,soon:thumbsup:

woody47
31-12-2009, 04:41 PM
no,I dont feel that our strikeforce is over-rated. if we had a stronger midfield to supply ammo,our men can do the biz,added to the fact that Deeks is a real danger if played up front!!!! some team is gonna feel the pain inflicted by our strikers,soon:thumbsup:

the yams on sunday???????? :greengrin

stubru59
31-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Lack of midfield bite means the guy's up front are fighting for scraps.

Under the circumstances they have done well. That said, some of our performances have not reflected the results we have achieved.

A couple of decent signings in this window may shake things up a bit.

Perspective
31-12-2009, 05:01 PM
The perceived wisdom seems to be that we are a young, largely homegrown, free-flowing team who has to score a load of goals to make up for defensive frailties.

But is it not the case that our defence has performed reasonably well in the last few seasons and we've underperformed in comparison going forward? I think we've got the players but not the balance in midfield or up front yet.

Hopefully it will come.

Barney McGrew
31-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Apart from the Huns, every team in the SPL would bite your hand off if they were offered our forward line.

Bishop Hibee
31-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Any team outside the OF would take Deek, Nish, Stokes or Benji so no.

Barney McGrew
31-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Benji, Guts and enthusiasm, not afraid to try

When did this Benji sign for us :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
31-12-2009, 05:19 PM
i agree re Riordan. Just play him up front and ask the midfield to give him the ball.

Brian Clough was the man who kept it simple with every player asked to just do what he was best at.

To Kenny Burns he said something along the lines of 'you're not a footballer son...you just win the ball and give it to someone else'. Simple but effective.

Use the same philosophy with Riordan and Stokes and get someone else in at left midfield. Ehh like a left midfielder!

Then we'll score loads.

WindyMiller
31-12-2009, 05:50 PM

We only play with two in mid-field which, IMO, is our biggest problem.
JH should consider playing a traditional 4 4 2 or 4 4 3.

millarco
31-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Performance wise, yes. For all the hype we've only scored one more than St Johnstone, and Rangers have scored more at home than we have in total. Certainly on paper we have some quality players, but they haven't really clicked together, and at times it seems that we're trying to fit them all in to the detriment of the team.

I'm not convinced that moving Riordan up front will solve the problem; he has always had a tendancy to drift out wide left, so we couldn't really play with an out-and-out left winger like Galbraith. Can't see him having the pace to get in behind the defence either, and he doesn't have the strength to hold the ball up, so it would just be a case of trying to get the ball to feet and hope he has the space to hit it.

If we insist on going with 2 up front I'd have Benji up with Stokes-he's a threat with the ball into feet, but has the strength to hold it up and bring others into the game, and is strong in the air. It was unfortunate that Zouma was injured when Benji had his run in the team-when the two of them are on the same wavelength it's a joy to watch.

el capitano
31-12-2009, 06:05 PM
derek riordan is no good to us as a centre forward, imo offcourse. he would be as good as he was on sunday playing there, useless.
him and ian murray are the best left sided pairing in the country so keep them there.

Sloppy
31-12-2009, 06:07 PM
We only play with two in mid-field which, IMO, is our biggest problem.
JH should consider playing a traditional 4 4 2 or 4 4 3.
:agree: and not play a keeper, i agree totally, would do better than having maka in

Steve20
31-12-2009, 06:10 PM
They are over rated. Apart from Stokes, they score nowhere near as many goals as the hype would have you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perspective
31-12-2009, 06:16 PM
:agree: and not play a keeper, i agree totally, would do better than having maka in

That's hilarious. Genuinely side-splitting.

Tell you what I don't get about so-called supporters. If they can see before them that we have a player with fragile confidence levels - be it Maka or the way the Rangers fans are with Whittaker at present - would it not be an idea to actually 'support' them.

We're all supposed to be pulling in the same direction and surely we have as big a part to play in man-management as Yogi. If a player needs support he should be supported, if they are the type that needs a verbal slap across the face then fair enough.

I don't care whether people rate Maka or not, I've given up trying to convince people. What I don't get is people that seem to get as much pleasure out of kicking a Hibs player when they're down as they do when the team score or win a game.

Maybe not everyone is a supporter the way I see it. Maybe the term 'fan' (or fanatic) is more appropriate.

GGTTH

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2009, 06:24 PM
They are over rated. Apart from Stokes, they score nowhere near as many goals as the hype would have you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my house using a computer.

Hibee_Lisa
31-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Couldn't agree more.

:tee hee: Had a little chuckle at that.

Hank Schrader
31-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Couldn't agree more.

:tee hee:

Si_17
31-12-2009, 08:17 PM
That's hilarious. Genuinely side-splitting.

Tell you what I don't get about so-called supporters. If they can see before them that we have a player with fragile confidence levels - be it Maka or the way the Rangers fans are with Whittaker at present - would it not be an idea to actually 'support' them.

We're all supposed to be pulling in the same direction and surely we have as big a part to play in man-management as Yogi. If a player needs support he should be supported, if they are the type that needs a verbal slap across the face then fair enough.

I don't care whether people rate Maka or not, I've given up trying to convince people. What I don't get is people that seem to get as much pleasure out of kicking a Hibs player when they're down as they do when the team score or win a game.

Maybe not everyone is a supporter the way I see it. Maybe the term 'fan' (or fanatic) is more appropriate.

GGTTH

Nail. Hit. Head.:top marks

yekimevol
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
i think that big nish has been good in the attacking mid role but i still dont rate his ability. stokes is a great finisher but i dont rate the rest of his game. riordan has it all when he wants to put it in, i would love to see him back up top to show that boyd is not all that. and i dont say that zouma is a striker

sambajustice
01-01-2010, 11:31 AM
No.

lapsedhibee
01-01-2010, 11:37 AM
What I don't get is people that seem to get as much pleasure out of kicking a Hibs player when they're down as they do when the team score or win a game.

GGTTH
:agree: The slaughtering of Maka on here is graceless and classless. Maybe the term ****socket is more appropriate.

allezsauzee
01-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I think there's a huge difference in discussing weaknesses of players on here and giving them verbal at ER. I have never booed a hibs player in my life and dont think i ever will. I am however getting weary of waiting for Maka becoming a great keeper for us. He may well turn into a quality keeper by the time he's 30. However I dont want to watch him selling the jerseys for another 6 years before that happens.

.Sean.
01-01-2010, 02:33 PM
The way I see it is we've got 2 of the best in the league in Stokes and Riordan, Nish who would get his game for anybody outside the Old Firm, and would probably walk into any the lower teams in the divison, and Benji who when on his game is a fantastic player well capable of scoring against anyone in the league. Plus if you were to class Zemmama as a striker you can argue he's the best player in the league.

Over rated no, but under under appreciated... Maybe so, compared to what other teams in the league can call upon in the striking department.

silverhibee
02-01-2010, 01:58 AM
derek riordan is no good to us as a centre forward, imo offcourse. he would be as good as he was on sunday playing there, useless.
him and ian murray are the best left sided pairing in the country so keep them there.

I dont know how you can say that about Derek Riordan being no good as a centre forward, he done alright when he partnered big Gaz as a front two pairing.

el capitano
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I dont know how you can say that about Derek Riordan being no good as a centre forward, he done alright when he partnered big Gaz as a front two pairing.

yes he did and he would do a good job again if he was part of a front 2, hughes doesnt play with 2 up, just the one. the second forward has more of a grafting job to do and i dont think we would get as much from derek as we do just now with him on the left.
the rangers game was just a bad day at the office, less changes to the formation the better i feel and derek and ian are perfect on the left, i hope they are played there tomo

bighairyfaeleith
02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Been with us a few years but was away for a period when Mixu was in charge

I think he might have been pulling your chain with that one:greengrin