PDA

View Full Version : puzzled old me

linlithgowhibbie
30-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Copied this from WWW.Brokeback, what the donald duck is he on about!

Strangely enough the Scottish League wanted them(Hibs) to cease to exist when they were formed. They wouldnt have come into being if hearts hadnt defied the League management and played them a number of times to help them get established (and incurred fines for doing so).
Hearts also gave them a number of players to get started.
I guess the people at Tynecastle at the time knew we needed Hibs in the same way as Celtic need Rangers........its about money.

:confused:

cocopops1875
30-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Strangely enough the Scottish League wanted them(Hibs) to cease to exist when they were formed. They wouldnt have come into being if hearts hadnt defied the League management and played them a number of times to help them get established (and incurred fines for doing so).
I guess the people at Tynecastle at the time knew we needed Hibs in the same way as Celtic need Rangers........its about money.

dont have a clue if any of this is true (but hearts getting fines seems familiar):greengrin

Thecat23
30-12-2009, 07:53 PM
From what i heard part of this is true, Hearts agreed to play Hibs even though the would be fined.

I also heard they didn't want Hibs in the league so not sure what's true but sure someone on here could maybe get to the bottom of it.

Either way Hearts are jobbies and we're no! :agree:

greenlex
30-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Mostly pish. Scottish leauge didnt exsist at the time. It was an Edinburgh and district association and there was no leaugue. Only friendliesand the odd cup. The association didnt want Hibernian as they were seen to not fit as we were made up of irish catholics.
He is right that they were told not to play us and did in fact do this and that led to us being eventually recognised. Total pish about them loaning us players though.
Did he mention Hearts went defunct a couple of times after 1874 or that they were forever protesting when we beat them?
Did he mention they were named after a an old dance hall?

McD
30-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Copied this from WWW.Brokeback (http://WWW.Brokeback), what the donald duck is he on about!

Another gem, straight from Yams Christian Anderson.

We could compile a greatest works of Believer's Facts, including:
this lovely yarn,
world cup stars coming to the pink busstop,
champions league,
new super humungous gigantic stands,
players bonus payments,
having your own training ground,
being relevant to anyone outside of gorgie.

I would suggest selling it, but if we wait it'll be on sale in the clubstore for 2 ha'penny, with 14 free match tickets soon enough. Cash only of course :wink:

Kato
30-12-2009, 08:10 PM

Hearts didn't want Hibs in the East of Scotland Assoc. until we played them in friendlies and they saw that money could be made.

The rest is a load of deluded lies.

basehibby
30-12-2009, 08:22 PM
It's certainly true that Hibs first ever game was against Hearts - and this in defiance of the snooty bigots at the (Edinburgh/Scottish???) FA who had imposed a ban on any team playing Hibs who were at the time entirely composed of Irish imigrants. Fair play to the Jambos of the time for being worthy of their name on this occasion and showing a lot of "heart".

As for the rest - I've never heard anything about Hearts "giving" Hibs a number of players to get us started - think the Yam is having fantasies here. What I DID hear one time is that some of the original Hibs and Hearts players had played together in some other team which disbanded prior to the founding of Hibs and Hearts - this may be the grain of truth which the guy has distorted to fit his Yamythological ends.
Also I think his theory about some agenda to create an early edinburgh "old firm" is a load of tripe - Hearts were barely a year old at this time and weren't any kind of big shots but just one of a plethora of teams that were sprouting up all over Scotland and beyond.

Ringothedog
30-12-2009, 09:15 PM
It's certainly true that Hibs first ever game was against Hearts - and this in defiance of the snooty bigots at the (Edinburgh/Scottish???) FA who had imposed a ban on any team playing Hibs who were at the time entirely composed of Irish imigrants. Fair play to the Jambos of the time for being worthy of their name on this occasion and showing a lot of "heart".

As for the rest - I've never heard anything about Hearts "giving" Hibs a number of players to get us started - think the Yam is having fantasies here. What I DID hear one time is that some of the original Hibs and Hearts players had played together in some other team which disbanded prior to the founding of Hibs and Hearts - this may be the grain of truth which the guy has distorted to fit his Yamythological ends.
Also I think his theory about some agenda to create an early edinburgh "old firm" is a load of tripe - Hearts were barely a year old at this time and weren't any kind of big shots but just one of a plethora of teams that were sprouting up all over Scotland and beyond.

They did when we we reformed in 1891 (?) in fact that game game was their record victory over us(funnily enough)

Ed De Gramo
30-12-2009, 09:25 PM

:faf:

A yam I ken wrote the exact same thing on my facebook under the title 'Why Hearts are better than Hibs'...

Scraping the barrel :agree:

fatbloke
31-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Morning b - I think that some fud on brokeback has been reading Smelltic's history and has decided to take the more romantic notions on board for themselves. complete and utter pile of *******. However, HMFC did win WW1 didn't they. Anyway a Happy New Year to you and Carole and all when it comes.

GGTTH

P.S. You were told not to talk to or listen to strangers

Barney McGrew
31-12-2009, 10:43 AM
The yam quoted in the OP is partly right.

Read about it more here (http://www.hibs.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=632&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=1) as part of John Campbell's excellent series of articles on Hibs history right here on Hibs.net :agree: