PDA

View Full Version : NHC No summer SPL football

The_Todd
30-12-2009, 11:46 AM
The SPL have come out and said there's no demand from fans for a switch to Summer football in the Scotland.

Any thoughts? I wouldn't have minded it myself, but it would be a huge change.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8434852.stm

JackRegan
30-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Personally I'm against it, but would like to see the Winter break brough back again.

However, I would like to see the Juniors move to summer football.

ChrissyG1875
30-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I personally am glad. I would hate summer football, it would mean that I and many others would have to miss a month or so of football due to holidays.

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I personally am glad. I would hate summer football, it would mean that I and many others would have to miss a month or so of football due to holidays.

No many people (that I know anyway) go on hooliday for a month.

Does noone go on winter breaks or even in August/September?

Franck is God
30-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I think summer football is a must for Scottish football to improve. All of our teams should be playing when the weather and the pitches are in as good a state that we can manage in our climate.

It would improve Scotlands chances at club and international level in European competitions and qualification for tournaments.

More people would be likely to attend games when the weather is nicer which would improve attendances therefore increase income.

If we were playing in the summer a broadcaster like Sky may decide that the SPL is a better bet than Masters football and show our games at decent times and give us some more money for the pleasure...

The argument that people will miss games while on holiday, or its tradition or it can still snow in June are grasping at straws really. There are far more reasons to do it than not.

ChrissyG1875
30-12-2009, 11:58 AM
No many people (that I know anyway) go on hooliday for a month.

Does noone go on winter breaks or even in August/September?

dont no why I wrote that, if only i went on holiday for a month:greengrin but i'd rather not miss 2-3 matches in a row.

TheEastTerrace
30-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Hmm, has the concept of summer football actually been fully investigated and ideas formally presented to fan groups, or is it a case of simply a token survey asking 'do you want summer football? yes or no?'. Personally, I think there are some great reasons for moving to summer football.

Just as a case point, there was a thread that appeared on Sunday morning with people desperately trying to find out if the Huns game would be on or off. Although it went ahead, I'm sure quite a few fans were snowed in and couldn't make the game. Also, look at the Arabs-Hamilton game on Sat, called off 10 mins before K.O. Neil Doncaster seems to highlight that not many games have been called off in recent seasons, but I would ask how many fans have not been able to make games in Dec/Jan/Feb due to adverse weather. Would this happen in summer? Methinks not so much.

Anyways, not like a Scottish football body to think outside the box eh :cool2:

down-the-slope
30-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Never going to happen as the shedule for Fifa & Uefa tourneys mean there is not enough of a break on at least every second year to facilitate this

Anyone who thinks a winter break to avoid the bad weather is a goer should apply for a job with the Met as they could not tell you a year in advance when bad weather is likley..this is first year with heavy snow before Christmas in years. (remember the year when the break was lovely and the 2 weeks of re-start were dreadfull with postponements)

Also at Christmas there is a market for football with people off and mostly at home - added to by ex-pats back visiting...in summer we are holidaying and so there is less of a market.

Anyway getting your nads frozen off at the footie is a right of passage:wink:

HFC 0-7
30-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Personally I'm against it, but would like to see the Winter break brough back again.

However, I would like to see the Juniors move to summer football.

Dont know if the winter break would have much of an effect as in scotland you dont know when the bad weather comes. This year its a bit earlier than normal, so the chances are, is that we would have a break and still have plenty games called off due to weather.

Agree on the junior part though.

TheEastTerrace
30-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Never going to happen as the shedule for Fifa & Uefa tourneys mean there is not enough of a break on at least every second year to facilitate this

Anyone who thinks a winter break to avoid the bad weather is a goer should apply for a job with the Met as they could not tell you a year in advance when bad weather is likley..this is first year with heavy snow before Christmas in years. (remember the year when the break was lovely and the 2 weeks of re-start were dreadfull with postponements)

Also at Christmas there is a market for football with people off and mostly at home - added to by ex-pats back visiting...in summer we are holidaying and so there is less of a market.

Anyway getting your nads frozen off at the footie is a right of passage:wink:

I would suggest Scotland needn't worry about international tournaments in the summer for the foreseeable future. We're rank rotten. Plus, countries in Scandinavia, the Eastern Bloc, and Russia seem to be able to work around the World Cup/Euros and still have summer football.

I don't buy the argument that we should not look at summer football because apparently the whole nation goes on holiday in the summer. Trends change, and there is just as many people going away over the winter now than ever before. Why? Something to do with the weather seemingly :wink:

Finally, I would suggest that if there is such a large xmas market for football supporters, the SPL clubs are doing a rank rotten job of exploiting this market judging by SPL attendances.

Hibernian Verse
30-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Never mind Summer football we should be reducing the points given for a win to 2 again to tighten up the league.

soupy
30-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Summer football for me gets the :thumbsup:

Most years i go on holiday i end up missing a Hibs game anyway, for me its not the end of the world to miss 1 or maybe 2 games cos of it. Altho i know everyones different...

I personally think you get a better standard during the summer months:cool2:but if Rangers and Celtic wouldnt want it then the SFA wouldnt either....

Jack
30-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I think summer football is a must for Scottish football to improve. All of our teams should be playing when the weather and the pitches are in as good a state that we can manage in our climate.

It would improve Scotlands chances at club and international level in European competitions and qualification for tournaments.

More people would be likely to attend games when the weather is nicer which would improve attendances therefore increase income.

If we were playing in the summer a broadcaster like Sky may decide that the SPL is a better bet than Masters football and show our games at decent times and give us some more money for the pleasure...

The argument that people will miss games while on holiday, or its tradition or it can still snow in June are grasping at straws really. There are far more reasons to do it than not.

Couldn’t agree more and the point about the pitches is a good one as I thought ER looked a bit bumpy last weekend and things wont improve in the short term.

As I said elsewhere recently there will be no move towards summer football just now. The OF are always involved in lucrative pre season competitions and / or friendlies. They are not going to give that up so that the other clubs can prepare properly for Europa League fixtures and perhaps make a bit of money for themselves! And so the OF dominance is maintained.

This could change though, the season after next, when we loose one of our CL places to Belgium.

cwilliamson85
30-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Why will it not happen due to FIFA & UEFA tournaments.... Countries like the scandinavians do it.

also what changed his mind? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6206888.stm

ancient hibee
30-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Why will it not happen due to FIFA & UEFA tournaments.... Countries like the scandinavians do it.

also what changed his mind? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6206888.stm
And the Scandinavians do very well in European football?

Hibby70
30-12-2009, 03:38 PM
we could also benefit off the back of the tourist trade, most of us on holiday would go to a game abroad so can you imagine the possibility from the festival. Edit which is on during the season anywy, doh. think i need my bed.

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Dont know if the winter break would have much of an effect as in scotland you dont know when the bad weather comes. This year its a bit earlier than normal, so the chances are, is that we would have a break and still have plenty games called off due to weather.

Agree on the junior part though.Exactly.A winter break anywhere in Britain could end up a farce.eg this year.December would never have been the chosen shut down month.Re Junior football.Thousands of people don't go to senior games cos they're playing or watching junior games.

crash
30-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Have to say football helps to get me through the winter, Jan and Feb are depressing enough!

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2009, 08:20 PM
what would this mean for TV deals? Could it be a blinder and allow games to be played closer to the preferred 3pm Saturday slot?

Too bold a move for the SFA to go for it IMO... and risk