PDA

View Full Version : FAO Hawkhill bus travellers from the 1970's on

Jonnyboy
29-12-2009, 07:59 PM
You might recognise this fella :greengrin

http://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/index.php?a=area&s=item&key=aYToxOntpOjA7czoxMzoiV2VzdGVyIEhhaWxlcyI7fQ==&pg=9

Fantastic read about a fantastic character :thumbsup:

Toaods
29-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Slightly off the main topic, but anyone have any old pics from Capital Hibs buses?

I'd love to have a look through some of those....:dizzy:

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I remember Sam from the Hibs club, an absolute gentleman he was, always had a hello even if he didn't know you.

Baldy Foghorn
29-12-2009, 08:12 PM

http://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/index.php?a=area&s=item&key=aYToxOntpOjA7czoxMzoiV2VzdGVyIEhhaWxlcyI7fQ==&pg=9

Sam was in the Hibs club a few weeks ago, never seems to get any older.......

PaulSmith
29-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Can only be the same family but his son, of the same name, was a superb football player and a great guy as well. I'm sure he was on Hibs books as a youngster.

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Slightly off the main topic, but anyone have any old pics from Capital Hibs buses?

I'd love to have a look through some of those....:dizzy:

No pics unfortunately but I ran that bus with a mate for the year or so that it ran. How we ever survived I have no idea. Particularly with a vodka mad driver who used to drive standing up.

Recall one trip to Aberdeen and we stopped at stonehaven, brechin, forfar on the way back. Bus bounced home back down the M90!!

We also ran a bus to the Scotland v Spain WC qualifier and had 92 people on it. All good fun mostly but it ended in tears when someone lobbed a headrest out the rear fire window at a passing hun car on the way back from Ibrox.

Scary stuff but good fun. No real trouble...just a few nutters but it was mostly good natured banter. Was only 17 at the time so that must have been about 1984?

Toaods
29-12-2009, 09:25 PM
No pics unfortunately but I ran that bus with a mate for the year or so that it ran. How we ever survived I have no idea. Particularly with a vodka mad driver who used to drive standing up.

Recall one trip to Aberdeen and we stopped at stonehaven, brechin, forfar on the way back. Bus bounced home back down the M90!!

We also ran a bus to the Scotland v Spain WC qualifier and had 92 people on it. All good fun mostly but it ended in tears when someone lobbed a headrest out the rear fire window at a passing hun car on the way back from Ibrox.

Scary stuff but good fun. No real trouble...just a few nutters but it was mostly good natured banter. Was only 17 at the time so that must have been about 1984?

I probably know you then, who are you? I'm more aface than names type of guy but I'm guessing you are either Alan M, Andy J or David M?

I was affectionately known as 'National'...those bus trips were some of the best trips in my life, mental as anything...:greengrin

sleeping giant
29-12-2009, 09:35 PM

I have spoken to him numerous times
My Dad knew him:agree:

My Dad was involved with Edinburgh West when it started.

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I probably know you then, who are you? I'm more aface than names type of guy but I'm guessing you are either Alan M, Andy J or David M?

I was affectionately known as 'National'...those bus trips were some of the best trips in my life, mental as anything...:greengrin

Don't recognise any of those names T. You came to my house a few years ago to buy a couple of Hearts game tickets off me when I couldn't go to Tynie. Think you came with your daughter.

Name is Craig. Came from Davidsons Mains which was one of many pick up points. Used to use Shades for ticket distributions. Remember great banter with Artisan Hibs at various games.

mim
29-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Sam was in the Hibs club a few weeks ago, never seems to get any older.......

He'll be 99 next month. :thumbsup:

FFS Hibs, hurry up and win this bloody cup. :wink:

Stantons Angel
29-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Getting back on the subject of Sammy Martinez and the Hawkhill bus of the 70s. Sammy still frequents the Hibs club and will be 100 years old in February next year.
i have known Sam for some 40 odd years and he and his family have been good friends to me and my son. He intends to have his birthday party with all his friends from the Hibs club in the club itself. He is hoping to have a well known youngster called Maude aged 93 as his guest of honour.

How do i know this? Sammy himself invited me to the party and i spent some time with him and reminised about the many happy memories we both have of the days when we travelled on that bus...... memories that wont be forgotten.

Sammy is a legend and a wee darling too, he is also a gentleman with a large loving family. Sadly his wife Mary passed away some years ago. Sammy has never forgotten his time with the Hawkhill travel club and I too have many memories of Sam following Hibs and Scotland !

Happy birthday when it comes Sammy and i hope your party goes well. You deserve every bit of love that will come your way from all us Hibs' supporters! :agree:

Toaods
29-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Don't recognise any of those names T. You came to my house a few years ago to buy a couple of Hearts game tickets off me when I couldn't go to Tynie. Think you came with your daughter.

Name is Craig. Came from Davidsons Mains which was one of many pick up points. Used to use Shades for ticket distributions. Remember great banter with Artisan Hibs at various games.

got you now from the tickets hint but can't recall you by name on the buses. Do you remember me from then?

Will PM you the names - see if they ring any bells.

nb. that multiple stops for a beer trip from Aberdeen, sure we were going to stop in Dundee too but the cops told us to bolt.

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Best stop was in Forfar if I remember. Whole bus on the tables singing and dancing.....with the bus driver!!!!

Brilliant.

Jonnyboy
29-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm reminded of a Sammy story :greengrin

We're down in London for an England v Scotland game and when we arrive at King's Cross we're not 100% sure where to get the tube to our hotel. Sammy takes charge and approached a BR employee who sounds like he is West Indian. They chat and Sammy returns with a huge grin on his face. We ask why and he chortles as he tells us the BR guy had said it was the first time he'd ever heard a black Scotsman :greengrin

Anyone who knows Sammy will surely agree that Scots is not obvious on his tongue :greengrin

Happy Birthday when it comes Sam

Stantons Angel
29-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, his face was lit up like a beacon, i laughed all day at the memory! I also have a mental picture of Sam standing sharing a bag of chips with two other BR employees outside Kings Cross and watching them slap him on the back and shake his hand almost off his arm.

The previous poster commented on Forfar, but my memory of Sam was when the bus went away and left him and his pal Wattie stranded in Montrose and they had to hitch lifts from there back to Edinburgh, often having to walk great distances between lifts. This never dampened his spirits as he was too full of them.

Sammy's son and i were in the same lecture class at university a couple of years ago. When i intorduced myself and mentioned i knew his dad, he immediately asked if it was true that the walk from Montrose actually happened as all the family were a bit dubious about it.
The poor lad was helpless with laughter when i filled him in with the real story. Yeah a real Hibee and a real family man too....

Big90inOz
30-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Remember Sammy well from the Hibs club.

Good to hear Maude is still going strong :agree: Does she still make the games ?

Always remeber being at the celtic club in Glasgow and the police were stopping all the Hibs buses and charging the driver and bus convenors if the bus was overloaded. Anyway along comes the hawkhill bus which is clearly way overloaded. The copper signals the bus to pull over, doors open and there stands Maude. The copper looks up and says " it's yerself Maude, driver, on yer way". I'm not sure who had the biggest smile Maude or the very lucky driver.

:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
30-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Sammy is a legend :top marks :thumbsup:

Local celebrity round about Wester Hailes :greengrin

I'm good mates with his son Sas, worked with him for years and one of the best football players I've ever played with :agree:

There was a TV programme about Sam and his family on a few years ago..

Great guy, great family and great Hibbies :notworthy:

Leithenhibby
30-12-2009, 11:11 AM

:agree: and funny also...

"The people of the neighbourhood, " he continues, "were encouraged to be friendly to them and the girls have interpreted this rather widely.

You can't beat a friendly lass..:faf: