PDA

View Full Version : Paddy Cregg

JCHibby
29-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Does anyone know why this guy is not getting a look in?

I know Yogi had to stick with the same guys after the 12 game run and fully appreciate that, however you could see that in the Rangers game he would have been a good player to have in the middle of the park.

Strange one so it is...:confused:

rainman
29-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know why this guy is not getting a look in?

I know Yogi had to stick with the same guys after the 12 game run and fully appreciate that, however you could see that in the Rangers game he would have been a good player to have in the middle of the park.

Strange one so it is...:confused:

Given the short term deal he signed, i would assume that Yogi needed Cregg to prove he could step up to the mark. He's not done that to be fair and seems to be well down the pecking order.

brydekirk
29-12-2009, 10:53 AM
he cant be up to much if rankin gets to play in that position before him

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I can't understand this one either. When they were both signed, the comment was always that Cregg and McBride were too similar to play in the same side. IMO McBride has been our player of the year so far, and if we are playing a formation, rather than playing players, it would make sense if he had been a like for like swap.

brydekirk
29-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I can't understand this one either. When they were both signed, the comment was always that Cregg and McBride were too similar to play in the same side. IMO McBride has been our player of the year so far, and if we are playing a formation, rather than playing players, it would make sense if he had been a like for like swap.

:agree: rankin is ment to be more attack minded than defencive.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Chisholm out, Cregg in. A short term deal that suited hibs. If he leaves in the summer, i'm sure we will replace him with someone a lot better.

SquashedFrogg
29-12-2009, 11:20 AM
It is a bit of a strange one. I know it was only a pre-season friendly but I was very impressed by his performance and style of play at the Dunfermline game.

Even in the opening game of the season he put a few 'crowd pleasing' tackles in to set the tone whilst allowing others to do the fancy stuff.

Maybe it was his bright red boots but he seemed to get all over the pitch breaking up play, setting up play with simple passes etc.

I thought both him and McBride looked quite comfortable playing along side each other.

I suppose the signing of Miller knocked him down the pecking order but I still hope he gets his chance.

Green Mikey
29-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I thought that Cregg did well when he first joined us and thought that he would be a good player for us over the season. I was surprised to see Rankin come in for McBride when Yogi had said that Cregg was very similar to McBride.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2009, 11:36 AM
It is a bit of a strange one. I know it was only a pre-season friendly but I was very impressed by his performance and style of play at the Dunfermline game.

Even in the opening game of the season he put a few 'crowd pleasing' tackles in to set the tone whilst allowing others to do the fancy stuff.

Maybe it was his bright red boots but he seemed to get all over the pitch breaking up play, setting up play with simple passes etc.

I thought both him and McBride looked quite comfortable playing along side each other.

I suppose the signing of Miller knocked him down the pecking order but I still hope he gets his chance.

I dont, as that would imho see us going back. Again imho he's not better than the players who are playing in front of him. He's on a par with Rankin, and maybe thinks he should be playing before him, but i certainly hope when the time is right, any midfielders we may sign in the future, are better than him too.

degenerated
29-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I dont, as that would imho see us going back. Again imho he's not better than the players who are playing in front of him. He's on a par with Rankin, and maybe thinks he should be playing before him, but i certainly hope when the time is right, any midfielders we may sign in the future, are better than him too.

i think he's far better than rankin and we were crying out for someone like cregg on sunday. someone to put the boot in, much like mculloch did for the huns.

with rankin, zemmama, riordan and miller in midfield we lack a bit of bite to go with the guile. if mcbride isn't fit for the derby then i'd like to see cregg in and shoeing that ginger twat stewart up and down the park all afternoon.

3pm
29-12-2009, 12:00 PM
i think he's far better than rankin and we were crying out for someone like cregg on sunday. someone to put the boot in, much like mculloch did for the huns.

with rankin, zemmama, riordan and miller in midfield we lack a bit of bite to go with the guile. if mcbride isn't fit for the derby then i'd like to see cregg in and shoeing that ginger twat stewart up and down the park all afternoon.

:agree:

Kaiser1962
29-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Agreed. On Sunday, when it started to get away from us, we needed someone with a bit of meat in the middle. They (the huns) got it too easy and were allowed to shove us about. Someone like Cregg might have provided a bit of fight for the others to hold onto. As it was we surrendered the midfield.

GreenCastle
29-12-2009, 01:14 PM
All the best teams in the world have a "destroyer" type player in the middle.

At the moment we don't. We need to find someone who will break up the other teams play and allow players like Miller / Zemmama more space time to run the game.

shagpile
29-12-2009, 02:06 PM
All the best teams in the world have a "destroyer" type player in the middle.

At the moment we don't. We need to find someone who will break up the other teams play and allow players like Miller / Zemmama more space time to run the game.

Simple. Drop Riordan & play Cregg.

cockneymike
29-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Are you seriously suggesting playing Cregg and Ranking ahead of Riordan? :confused:

You must have drunk far too much mulled wine this Christmas!

Franck Stanton
29-12-2009, 02:36 PM
In my opinion Cregg is a far better player than Rankin , why you ask? Simples........ Cregg can tackle VERY well - whilst Rankin's next tackle will be his first.

Glasgow Hibee
29-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Have to agree with most here. From the little I've seen of him I think he gives more balance to the midfield by adding a bit of bite.

It's great to have flair players like Zemama and Riordan but you need someone to do the dirty work too and I think he is a lot better at this than Rankin.

hfc rd
29-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I like Paddy Cregg. A good tough tackling midfielder. But there is a lot of competition in midfield and with the prospect of McBride returning from injury, it is going to be hard for him to get a game. I prefer him over Rankin though.

hibee-shtuggie
29-12-2009, 03:58 PM

cregg would be brought in to give flair players like riordan a platform to perform on by doing all the dirty work. rankin out and cregg in. rankin very rarely tackles, he is another jockeying type of player. we need a roy keane-esque basher in there as we have a lot of 'flair players"

Golden Bear
29-12-2009, 04:13 PM

:agree:

Good shout.

basehibby
30-12-2009, 04:06 AM
I very much liked what I saw of Paddy Cregg at the start of the season and I'm pretty sure that his reluctance to commit to the club is what's held him back - maybe Hughes wants to give first dibs to the players who have shown that commitment and as a long term strategy maybe that's not too bad?!?

That's just speculation on my part of course - like the OP I rate Cregg and wonder why he hasn't featured a bit more.

shagpile
30-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Are you seriously suggesting playing Cregg and Ranking ahead of Riordan? :confused:

You must have drunk far too much mulled wine this Christmas!

What i am suggesting is having 3 genuine midfield players. Riordan & Zemmama are not midfield players, & at the moment Zemmama looks a better option than Riordan.

So, in case it still eludes you, the midfield would be Miller, Rankin--or McBride if you prefer--& Cregg.
Also, if its your thing ,drop Zemmama or Nish or Stokes & play Riordan.

My personal choice would be to leave Riordan out of any selection at the moment because he is struggling to make an impact.

Expecting Rain
30-12-2009, 10:27 AM
he cant be up to much if rankin gets to play in that position before him

I agree, how bad do you have to be?

DirtyDeeds
30-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Like most, was surprised when Rankin appeard to be the natural replacement for McBride in Yogi's eyes. Cregg keeps it simple with the ball at his feet, which in all fairness Rankin has done BUT has that extra bite and badness to his game that Rankin never could. My thinking is that due to the lack of a reserve league, Cregg is hugely lacking match fitness. I believe that the younger guys like Currie and Welsh plus Thicot have been playing in these bounce matches against the English sides. If this is the case, then id understand Yogi's thinking. Rankins been around the side most of the season, at least keeping sharp and probably seemed like a smarter choice. Who knows. Id throw in Cregg for Sunday though, noise up that helmet Stewart, get him sent off, let the adrenaline get him through an hour or so then throw somebody on to seal the points with the yams a body short. Easy!!!

Franck is God
30-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Cregg should have been playing on Sunday alongside Miller and Rankin, that way we might not have conceded possesion so easily and maybe won it back occasionally. Rankin unfortunately isn't as good as McBride so it's not a like for like swap and as a result Miller has not been as effective in games where teams are playing a strong midfield against us.

If we are to win against Hearts I think we need to sacrifice a striker for an extra man in the middle. Riordan's scoring record against them is too good for him to be left out, Stokes is getting the goals regularly and Zemmama is creating goals every game, Nish (although playing very well right now) has to be the one to drop out.

At the PBS earlier this season Hearts were completely dominating possession until Yogi took off Benji, switched to a three man midfield, Miller started getting on the ball and all of a sudden we started making chances and nearly won the game. Fingers crossed we get a wee change in personnel and tactics....