PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't We Have Any Fullbacks?

Dan Sarf
28-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Wotherspoon and Hanlon are both promising young midfielders. So is Stevenson. Murray, though a powerful presence anywhere in defence, isn't a natural fullback. Yogi has talked about how important they are to his style of play. So where are they then? :confused:

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:53 PM
That nasty Rod Petrie wouldnt give John Collins any fullbacks, it all started from there:worms:

truehibernian
28-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I think Hanlon especially is a good player played out of position at Hibs. I got slated earlier this season when I was very harsh on Hanlon and his seemingly persistent need to get drawn out of position and attracted towards the central defensive area. It leaves his left flank exposed all the time and means crosses a plenty are delivered from this area. The team had far more balance and strength with Murray in there and to me it's no surprise our performances improved when he (Hanlon) was dropped. That said, I keep hearing he is a standout at centre half in games for Scotland and Hibs reserves. There is no doubt he is a good young player, but for me, I would have Murray or Stevenson (even Rankin) at left back before Paul Hanlon. Why not try Hanlon at centre half where he clearly feels comfortable ? Wotherspoon is just a class class young player who could be in the Scott Brown mould in years to come (transfer value wise) and is going to be the complete midfielder in a couple of years.

Dan Sarf
28-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Isn't this where it went tits up yesterday? Two young guys played out of position - compounded by little or no help from the two midfielders in front of them (Zooma and Deek) neither of whom "do" tracking back?

GloryGlory
28-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I think Hanlon especially is a good player played out of position at Hibs. I got slated earlier this season when I was very harsh on Hanlon and his seemingly persistent need to get drawn out of position and attracted towards the central defensive area. It leaves his left flank exposed all the time and means crosses a plenty are delivered from this area. The team had far more balance and strength with Murray in there and to me it's no surprise our performances improved when he (Hanlon) was dropped. That said, I keep hearing he is a standout at centre half in games for Scotland and Hibs reserves. There is no doubt he is a good young player, but for me, I would have Murray or Stevenson (even Rankin) at left back before Paul Hanlon. Why not try Hanlon at centre half where he clearly feels comfortable ? Wotherspoon is just a class class young player who could be in the Scott Brown mould in years to come (transfer value wise) and is going to be the complete midfielder in a couple of years.

:agree: :agree: He left acres of space yesterday for Rangers to exploit!

.Sean.
28-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Hanlon isn't a midfielder, he's a cenre half.

degenerated
28-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Hanlon isn't a midfielder, he's a cenre half.

is he?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/11/15/paul-hanlon-moving-from-a-striker-to-defence-has-been-a-learning-curve-but-i-ve-survived-86908-21823574/

Dunbar Hibee
28-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Hanlon is a centre half.

jacomo
28-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Isn't this where it went tits up yesterday? Two young guys played out of position - compounded by little or no help from the two midfielders in front of them (Zooma and Deek) neither of whom "do" tracking back?

Neither of them are proper wide players either.