PDA

View Full Version : How to disagree

Jim Herriot
28-12-2009, 01:42 PM
As we all know, it's rare for posters to disagree with each other on this board. But in the event of such an unlikely occurrence, here are some handy phrases to express disagreement with another poster...

You're talking pish
An old chestnut, but guaranteed to win any argument. Don't feel obliged to clarify your reasoning in any way.

Your talking pish
Even better than the above, showing admirable disdain for fundamental grammar.

Pish
Fantastic. Making it the only word in your post will impress readers with your concise counter-argument. If you really feel compelled to add something, try 'END OF', 'END OFF', or 'FACT'.

You know nothing about football
Versatile all-purpose comeback. Insults the poster and also implies that you, conversely, know all there is to know, making further discussion futile.

Were you at the game?
Only those attending games may express an opinion. Thus, this is a great retort for posters whose location or username (e.g. AntarticaHibee) suggests that they probably weren't.

You must have been watching a different game
Less directly offensive, and rather more subtle. However, minimal chance of the poster admitting such a fundamental error ("Oh yes, now that I remember, I accidentally went to Dumbarton v Stenhousemuir").

You must be a Yam
Superb catch-all retort, even though almost certainly not true of most posters. Forces poster onto the defensive and moves the discussion off topic. Insert a Yam-related smiley to reinforce your point.

You must be on drugs
Again, forces poster onto defensive, but in one of two ways - to deny the assertion or to defend the drugs they're on.

It's all about opinions
Avoid this phrase at all costs. It's far too reasonable and conciliatory, and doesn't really get an argument flowing.

Changing the subject completely, I thought Zibi was quite a good goalkeeper.

steakbake
28-12-2009, 01:45 PM
As we all know, it's rare for posters to disagree with each other on this board. But in the event of such an unlikely occurrence, here are some handy phrases to express disagreement with another poster...

You're talking pish
An old chestnut, but guaranteed to win any argument. Don't feel obliged to clarify your reasoning in any way.

Your talking pish

Pish
Fantastic. Making it the only word in your post will impress readers with your concise counter-argument. If you really feel compelled to add something, try 'END OF', 'END OFF', or 'FACT'.

Versatile all-purpose comeback. Insults the poster and also implies that you, conversely, know all there is to know, making further discussion futile.

Were you at the game?
Only those attending games may express an opinion. Thus, this is a great retort for posters whose location or username (e.g. AntarticaHibee) suggests that they probably weren't.

Less directly offensive, and rather more subtle. However, minimal chance of the poster admitting such a fundamental error ("Oh yes, now that I remember, I accidentally went to Dumbarton v Stenhousemuir").

You must be a Yam
Superb catch-all retort, even though almost certainly not true of most posters. Forces poster onto the defensive and moves the discussion off topic. Insert a Yam-related smiley to reinforce your point.

You must be on drugs
Again, forces poster onto defensive, but in one of two ways - to deny the assertion or to defend the drugs they're on.

It's all about opinions
Avoid this phrase at all costs. It's far too reasonable and conciliatory, and doesn't really get an argument flowing.

LTYF :bye: :wink:

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:46 PM
:faf:

You forgot the old classic

"If you'd have played football at any sort of level you would know..."

Therefore imbuing the poster with semi-mystical 'sage' status that no-one actually bothers to check, when in fact he probably played fives at the pitz sunday league.

hibee-shtuggie
28-12-2009, 01:47 PM

You're talking pish

Your talking pish

Pish

Were you at the game?

You must be a Yam

You must be on drugs

It's all about opinions

haha spot on...enjoyed this post.

HFC 0-7
28-12-2009, 01:50 PM

You're talking pish

Your talking pish

Pish

Were you at the game?

You must be a Yam

You must be on drugs

It's all about opinions

There are also other phrases to consider

Well I will agree to disagree, however. . . .

Where the poster is getting annoyed at not getting his point across resulted in backing off, only to change his mind whilst writing the post and bursting into a fury of 'facts', 'stats' and footballing knowledge.

I have watched hibs for longer than you . . .

This is supposedly where old age is a winner, where the coffin dodger rubs it in that he has watched hibs for years and thus, knows so much more regarding hibs, football and generally everything.

surreyhibbie
28-12-2009, 01:53 PM

No it's No!

Your talking pish.

etc

:wink:

Thegreenside
28-12-2009, 02:09 PM

You're talking pish

Your talking pish

Pish

Were you at the game?

You must be a Yam

You must be on drugs

It's all about opinions

your clearly a junkie yam that knows nothing about football, that goes to see Dumbarton v Stenhousemuir instead of Hibs, your talking pish but thats just my opinion:wink:

Big Frank
28-12-2009, 02:19 PM
your clearly a junkie yam that knows nothing about football, that goes to see Dumbarton v Stenhousemuir instead of Hibs, your talking pish but thats just my opinion:wink:

:monkey1::monkey1::kbacker:

Phil D. Rolls
29-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Any-budy se's I talk pish :bitchy:, I'll shoot them my-self, an get a good night's sleep after it to! :greengrin

rainman
29-12-2009, 09:36 AM
How about if somebody's opinion is different to yours, you all of a sudden become part of a "Brigade" or a "Squad".

E.g. The anti-Riordan brigade will be out in force tonight.

Hibbyradge
29-12-2009, 09:41 AM
This thread is just PC gone mad. :grr:

hibbie02
29-12-2009, 09:44 AM
How about if somebody's opinion is different to yours, you all of a sudden become part of a "Brigade" or a "Squad".

E.g. The anti-Riordan brigade will be out in force tonight.

I prefer the cliques...........:greengrin

Golden Bear
29-12-2009, 09:45 AM
The frequent use of :drunk: to excuse yourself for last night's pishy posts.

hibsbollah
29-12-2009, 09:49 AM
The frequent use of :drunk: to excuse yourself for last night's pishy posts.

:grr:Here we go, the anti-:drunk: Brigade:rolleyes:
I bet you feel so proud:blah:

Hibs07p
29-12-2009, 10:10 AM

You're talking pish

Your talking pish

Pish

Were you at the game?

You must be a Yam

You must be on drugs

It's all about opinions

Only a drug taking Yam, who doesn't go to games and knows nothing about football, could be so opinionated and talk utter pish. Fact! End off! :jamboak:

Hainan Hibs
29-12-2009, 10:34 AM
The use of :bitchy::bye::yawn::blah: to REALLY show how much you disagree.

rainman
29-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Being one of the "Usual Suspects" is another that can be used to discredit an argument almost immediately.

E.g. Maka's made a mistake and the usual supects are out in force.

hibsbollah
29-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Ending a rant with 'Simples' always adds a bit of self-righteousness to a post.

lapsedhibee
29-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Were you at the game?

There's another subtlish one, not quite the same as either of these, which is
Were you watching the game? This acknowledges that the poster could have a valid opinion even though he was at home with the tellybox on, and doesn't imply that the poster might have inadvertently wandered in to Boghead. Rather politely hints that the poster might have been distracted in some way, perhaps by some domestic strife if at home or, if at the match, perhaps by some burd disrobing in a nearby flat.

Wilson
29-12-2009, 11:56 AM

:top marks:thumbsup:

KeithTheHibby
29-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Adding the word 'fact' to the end of a post ensures that the arguement ends there and then, I mean how can you argue with someone who puts fact into the equation?

And that is a fact.

ancient hibee
29-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Adding the word 'fact' to the end of a post ensures that the arguement ends there and then, I mean how can you argue with someone who puts fact into the equation?

And that is a fact.
I don't agree.FACT (note use of capitals).

down the slope
29-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't agree.FACT (note use of capitals).

Ah, but you have to prove it's a fact.

snooky
29-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Spot on Mr H. Great post! :thumbsup:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
All first posters are Yams unless they open with,
"Hello all. I'm new to the board. I've been a Hibby all my life and have been reading Hibsnet for x amount of years"

Note the absence of controversial comment. This doctrine must be adhered to for at least 50 posts, only then do you cease to be a Yam.
Thereafter, you can slag off anyone and anything you like. :wink:

NOLA
29-12-2009, 03:44 PM
:grr:Here we go, the anti-:drunk: Brigade:rolleyes:
I bet you feel so proud:blah:

Pish talking you are:devil:

Dombie
29-12-2009, 03:50 PM

You're talking pish

Your talking pish

Pish

Were you at the game?

You must be a Yam

You must be on drugs

It's all about opinions

Well all I've got to say is "pish" if you'd written posts at any level you'd ken that zibi should have been shot round the old Dunbar end instead of being given any sort of contract. Except maybe one taken out against him.

Future17
29-12-2009, 06:15 PM
:faf:

You forgot the old classic

"If you'd have played football at any sort of level you would know..."

Therefore imbuing the poster with semi-mystical 'sage' status that no-one actually bothers to check, when in fact he probably played fives at the pitz sunday league.

Does this not count? :confused:

I'll be back, i've got some self-righteous posts to delete. :greengrin

hibsbollah
29-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Does this not count? :confused:

I'll be back, i've got some self-righteous posts to delete. :greengrin

Simples:greengrin

basehibby
30-12-2009, 03:47 AM

You're talking pish

Your talking pish

Pish

Were you at the game?

You must be a Yam

You must be on drugs

It's all about opinions

NONSENSE! I always find that starting posts with statements such as COBBLERS BALDERDASH and RUBBISH in big letters with an exclamation afterwards helps to stick the boot in before getting down to business. And it never hurts to end with a self agrandising :agree: