PDA

View Full Version : "winning mentality" / comments from Stokes (merged)

EasterRoad4Ever
26-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I've always believed - through years of painful experience - that when push comes to shove the OF exert their authority on the Provincial Pretenders and upstarts. Tomorrow is a classic example of matches in the past where Hibs have a chance to make a real statement. Show that they are winners and have the bottle desire and quality to stand up to the OF.

If and is it is huge IF, Hibs do manage to take the Huns tomorrow, it could IMHO be the most significant result in years and could give Hibs players the self-belief and desire to push on. More likely of course is a draw or loss which would just reinforce our position as strictly second rate - or worse still a beating that might put us in reverse.

Tomorrow is much more than 3 points and a chance to get us back into the race. It is our one - and maybe only chance to send a clear message to the Huns. Do we have winners at ER ? Do they have the bottle ?

Guess we'll find out.

Allant1981
26-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I would love to see a win tomo but i think rangers might just sneak it, just hope if we do get beat it doesnt set us back to much and we can push on and give rangers and celtic a good challenge in the league

Cropley10
26-12-2009, 06:38 PM
No Sol in the back four. Iain Brines in the middle?

If we get a point I'll be pleased.

Wakeyhibee
26-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I've always believed - through years of painful experience - that when push comes to shove the OF exert their authority on the Provincial Pretenders and upstarts. Tomorrow is a classic example of matches in the past where Hibs have a chance to make a real statement. Show that they are winners and have the bottle desire and quality to stand up to the OF.

If and is it is huge IF, Hibs do manage to take the Huns tomorrow, it could IMHO be the most significant result in years and could give Hibs players the self-belief and desire to push on. More likely of course is a draw or loss which would just reinforce our position as strictly second rate - or worse still a beating that might put us in reverse.

Tomorrow is much more than 3 points and a chance to get us back into the race. It is our one - and maybe only chance to send a clear message to the Huns. Do we have winners at ER ? Do they have the bottle ?

Guess we'll find out.

It is all of the above however I am going to be there just to support my team win/lose/draw. Been a Hibby to long to worry about the what if's and what we should be's only to be dissapointed and pleasantly/deliriously supprised at the varying results over the last 35 years or so, anything is possible with the Hibs.

Having said that and a good afternoon in the boozer, let's get Intae these *****!!!

Early start see youse tomorrow

Fife-Hibee
26-12-2009, 06:40 PM
We must win tomorrow.

Anything less isn't good enough...

Dashing Bob S
26-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Could see us beat Johnny Hun and get turned over badly at Perth. I think you look to beat the teams below and get what you can from those above you. The players continually say we're a work in progress (and we obviously are) and are right not to get into this sort of talk.

I'd like to see an attitude at Hibs whereby we set minimum standards rather than said we'll split the OF or win the League.

I would not want to see Hibernian ever outside the top 4 and would deem any season we were to be unsuccessful. To do that regularly, we have to beat the teams currently below us on a regular basis. To me that's the real measure of our success/progress rather than punching above our weight in one-off's against shabby empires bloated by TV cash and coffers of those pandering to sectarianism and glory hunterism.

SRHibs
26-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Tbh, we must take something from this game if we're to have a chance of sticking with the OF throughout the rest of the season.
I can't see them dropping many more points against the smaller teams tbh so we need to take as many points as possible in these games.

Head says a score draw tomorrow. Heart says 2-0 Hibs. :agree:
Can definitely see us taking something though.

PISTOL1875
26-12-2009, 06:46 PM
This is our chance to show if we are serious about it or not.. Dundee United had there chance a few weeks ago and blew it big time.. They never even turned up and Rangers won comfortably in the end...

First and foremost we MUST turn up and put in a good performance which inturn will hopefully end up in getting a result that will be good for us....

Littlest Hobo
26-12-2009, 06:57 PM
One of the worst Rangers teams I can remember, let's get in tae thum and see what happens! :thumbsup:

joe breezy
26-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Here's hoping, to be honest the whole thing seems far too important an affair to be entrusted to a group of 20 somethings but that's football I suppose

The Voice Of Reason
26-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Big Sol will be a miss at the back. :boo hoo:

I am really worried about Boyd and Miller (in particular) up front for them.

I hope that we don't give them any respect and get really wired in to them. I hope Yogi has pinned our ex captain's comments ("I will be surprised if the OF don't finish at least 20 pts clear of the third placed team") on the dressing room wall. :agree:

Fingers crossed that we play well to a man, don't give anything away (Maka is a bit of a worry) and get a bit of luck (Yam style)........I do fancy Deek to score tomorrow, just hope we can keep another clean sheet.

Come on Hibs. :thumbsup:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Here's hoping, to be honest the whole thing seems far too important an affair to be entrusted to a group of 20 somethings but that's football I suppose

:faf: Christ I'm feeling old... :boo hoo:

Don Giovanni
26-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Remember folks its only the Huns. Lets get stuck right intae them from first to last. If we match them in the battle im sure we can beat them at the beautiful game.

Kaiser_Sauzee
26-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Similar situation here....and we did it. (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/hibernian/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/00/10/14/SOCCER_Hibernian.html&TEAMHD=hibernian&DIV=scotsprem&TEAM=HIBERNIAN&RH=Hibernian&PREV_SEASON=1999)

down-the-slope
26-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Hope McBride makes it as although Rankin has done well McBride is a step above and does the protecting job so well.

Its a really tasty festive fixture list..if I'm honest I was surprised we dug out 3 points against the Dons

Rangers have us / Dundee Untd / Celtic so its pretty big 3 games for them as well.

Let us - the fans - remember its 90 + minutes and we have made a habit of saving the goals till late on (would preffer a bit earlier for the sake of the nerves)

As I said in another post...would take extending our unbeaten run to 15 right now

Speedway
26-12-2009, 08:56 PM
We must win tomorrow.

Anything less isn't good enough...

Agreed but as I said on the PM board we'll be the plucky losers tomorrow and be dammed with faint praise by Walter and the media. I think we'll go 4-0 up only to lose 4-4 (SFA will award the win to the Huns on away goals rule)

Simkin911
26-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I geniunely hope the team do well tomorrow. However, like all Hibs fans - we're not motivated to support the team by perpetual success.

Since my first match in '85 versus St Mirren at home (a 4-0 defeat :boo hoo:), I've clearly never been motivated by success. Throw in a couple of cup wins plus Tennents 6s winners(!) since then and I've enjoyed the odd period of success and note worthy result more than any Celtic or Rangers fan will remember an individual league title success.

My expectations are not necessarily low - they just reflect my history of supporting Hibs. I'd like to see regular top 4 finishes, European footie, and the occasional cup success (esp SC) and, of course, betting the Jambos more often than not.

I can't really think of a time when I'd perhaps at least have as many of the Hibs players in a team as Rangers players. Man for man, even the league table only puts them slightly ahead of us. With home advantage, I believe we'll remain unbeatable by 2pm tomorrow.

Realistically, we have nothing to lose. We're neither defending a title or under pressure to win one.

Tomorrow, they'll have my full support and confidence of a positive outcome. :thumbsup:

andrew70
26-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Similar situation here....and we did it. (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/hibernian/reports/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/00/10/14/SOCCER_Hibernian.html&TEAMHD=hibernian&DIV=scotsprem&TEAM=HIBERNIAN&RH=Hibernian&PREV_SEASON=1999)

Yeah that was a great game also it came a week before we beat hearts 6-2...who do we play next week...:thumbsup:

Fantic
26-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Rangers fans will sing loud tomorrow. Celtic are right behind them, and they'll be hoping to put us in our place. A big game for their vile away support.

Lets do our best to drown them out and make it our day:greengrin

Kaiser_Sauzee
26-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Agreed but as I said on the PM board we'll be the plucky losers tomorrow and be dammed with faint praise by Walter and the media. I think we'll go 4-0 up only to lose 4-4 (SFA will award the win to the Huns on away goals rule)

LTYF.

:greengrin

stubru59
26-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Rangers have scored early goals in their last half dozen or so matches.

This includes an early goal against us at Ibrox. We need to keep things tight the first half hour.

We are certainly capable of beating them. Chances, when they come, must be put away. Minimise error's at the back and we could taste the sweet smell of victory.

But being what we are, though, it's the game up in Perth that could see our unbeaten run end.

iwasthere1972
26-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Rangers have scored early goals in their last half dozen or so matches.

This includes an early goal against us at Ibrox. We need to keep things tight the first half hour.
We are certainly capable of beating them. Chances, when they come, must be put away. Minimise error's at the back and we could taste the sweet smell of victory.

But being what we are, though, it's the game up in Perth that could see our unbeaten run end.

I would like to see us keeping things tight for the entire match.

:notworthy:

EasterRoad4Ever
27-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Take nothing away from the 12 match run and team spirit Hibs have built - outstanding. However, on 55 minutes today the team completely bottled it. No fight, no pride, no desire, no winners. Just 11 defeated Hibs players with 35 minutes of football to play at their home ground.

Forget the result - 4 shots/4 goals and the Huns deserved their win. It was the shocking manner of defeated subservient pretenders' utter capitulation to a very average Hun side that was so disappointing. Would Celtic have collapsed like that --- no, their famns would not have accepted it. Would even the Yams have given up at that point .... no chance. Yet most of the players in green were found wanting when it really mattered. The difference between an OF player and your average Hibs player was there for all to see.

How Hughes motivates them for the next match and the Yam visit (who'll now be licking their lips at the thought) will tell us much about his managerial credentials. Its a big job.

sixtwo
27-12-2009, 02:54 PM
we started brilliantly but their first goal shook us up. it was out of the blue. Deeks was a passenger and zemmama only wanted to work going forward. Maka is a clown. I think we will miss bamba when he goes.

we are still in good shape though and we will finish best of the rest atleast. :thumbsup:

camthebam
27-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm banging a drum that seems only mine to bang.

But I wholly disagree with this post mate.

They were firing on all cylinders from kick-off.

They were firing on all cylinders from the second-half kick-off.

Then the big guy let one in. And it was game over.

I don't think for one second that this was Yogi's fault. He's going to be the best manager we've had in a very long time.

I would guess he'll have them motivated for StJ. In fact I'm sure he will.

But he needs to buy another keeper.

GloryGlory
27-12-2009, 02:58 PM
:agree: to an extent. The H*nz had bruisers, who were prepared to battle, throughout their team. OK it wasn't pretty, it wasn't football but with Smith's teams what you see is what you get.

I don't know what Cregg was brought here for, he's the type that likes to rattle the opposition by getting his tackles in. Needed some of that today, and Rankin isn't up to that job. If Cregg isn't getting quoted for some reason, then a couple of big bruisers who aren't scared to get stuck in should be brought in in the transfer window, please, Yogi! Too many lightweights in the team.

The two young full backs were horribly exposed, throughout, too. Glad Bamba was there, because to my mind he held the defence together on his own. We will miss him big time when he is away, IMO.

Also I'm worried that our so-called embarrassment of riches up front isn't what it is cracked up to be. Deek has been off form for weeks, Nish has done well at some things but hasn't scored much, and Benji doesn't seem to get much time on the pitch. New forward needed, or do we take a risk with another young player and give Byrne a chance?

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't think we bottled it at all. We were beaten by a better side on the day. And they were aided with a few costly mistakes. We have got to were we are, by doing well with this bunch of players. Yes we played badly today, but we are a far better side now, than just 6 months ago. Yogi will strengthen in January, and again in the summer. The futures looking good.

Judas Iscariot
27-12-2009, 03:01 PM
We didn't bottle it..

Maka did.. AGAIN!

It was like shootie in with that clown in goals again..

The heads went down after he selt the badge once more at the 3rd..

EasterRoad4Ever
27-12-2009, 03:13 PM
We didn't bottle it..

Maka did.. AGAIN!

QED. 35 minutes still to play 1-3 down to an average Hun side at home and the game is over as a contest. By all means we can find a scapegoat or blame individual errors, but I've seen it all too often over the decades. Hibs bottled it, pure and simple.

camthebam
27-12-2009, 03:20 PM
We didn't bottle it..

Maka did.. AGAIN!

I, for 1, agree. Glad I'm not alone.

Hamilton was a freak result. Celtic got lucky. Killie was Maka's fault and so was today's. Go figure.

I can see this polarising opinions hugely. But I'm afraid Maka gets a huge thumbs down from me.

King Paddy
27-12-2009, 03:24 PM
It seems history repeats it'self whenever Hibs put a challange in. Lack of desire, character, and self belief, have allways been a nose around our necks for as far back as i can remember. Turnbuls tornadoe's flattered to decieve and so have many hibs teams of the past when the real pressure to win is on. Today was no exception fantastic start, playing like world beaters then the wheels come off. Nish runs out of steam, Maka makes stupid blunders, the list is endless. I suppose being a realist this was a disaster waiting to happen as we had been a touch fortunate to have gone on a 12 match unbeaten run.
It will be a big test of Yogi and the players resolve to pick themselves up from this thrashing. :grr::grr::grr:

lucky
27-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Don't think we bottled it. But most Huns now think Santa is a big guy from Belgium.

They were stronger than us yet we played some our best football this season in the first 20 mins. In the end we were not good enough against the Scottish champions

sixtwo
27-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I, for 1, agree. Glad I'm not alone.

Hamilton was a freak result. Celtic got lucky. Killie was Maka's fault and so was today's. Go figure.

I can see this polarising opinions hugely. But I'm afraid Maka gets a huge thumbs down from me.

I was always in the 'maka has potential' camp. I thought he is young but he will get better with experience. Sadly, my patience has run out and I would be happy to see him leave the club. He is a liability and a decent club like ours deserve a better keeper. I watched flynn warm up today and I also have my doubts about him.

Stack needs to come back before the derby. preferably before the St Johnstone game!

We should also get out there and buy a keeper. or at the very least, get a good one in on a free. perhaps bring in weaver from utd. He'd cost a bit in wages but he would be worth it. It is one of the most important positions on the park.

SloopJB
27-12-2009, 03:30 PM
What a load of pish to blame maka for this.
Had the players in front of him had enough skill to pass to their own players the ball wouldn't have been near maka as often.

Maka should accept responsibility for his part but not to free the rest of them.

Wull
27-12-2009, 03:32 PM
QED. 35 minutes still to play 1-3 down to an average Hun side at home and the game is over as a contest. By all means we can find a scapegoat or blame individual errors, but I've seen it all too often over the decades. Hibs bottled it, pure and simple.

I'd like to ask a simple question, if they were your employees (which I think they are) would you be satisfied with thier collective (there are 11 of them in the beloved Hibee Green) performance and smile as you hand over their wages. I woul;d be F****n fumin. The huns are not that f***n good and we should not be that bad. Hughs needs to call a spade a spade. We obviously cant drop 11 players, but so what, were never goin to win f'all with this attitude

PS this has been radically censored (by me) as we had a power cut during my initial response (this is Africa after all) but I still find it unacceptable a Hibs eam should be so ***** especially after a 1 goal start.:grr::grr::grr:

camthebam
27-12-2009, 03:35 PM
It seems history repeats it'self whenever Hibs put a challange in. Lack of desire, character, and self belief, have allways been a nose around our necks for as far back as i can remember. Turnbuls tornadoe's flattered to decieve and so have many hibs teams of the past when the real pressure to win is on. Today was no exception fantastic start, playing like world beaters then the wheels come off. Nish runs out of steam, Maka makes stupid blunders, the list is endless. I suppose being a realist this was a disaster waiting to happen as we had been a touch fortunate to have gone on a 12 match unbeaten run.
It will be a big test of Yogi and the players resolve to pick themselves up from this thrashing. :grr::grr::grr:

No, no, no.

We were flying even when 2-1 down. I still fully expected Hibs to win. To say they lacked belief is just entirely wrong.

We flew at them from the first second. Hence the goal. Aye, they pegged us back but they're the multi-millionaire huns. It was never going to be easy. And we flew at them again after the second half whistle. We got unlucky and, IMHO, big Yves let us down.

A bit more luck early doors and we'd have wiped the floor with the c#nts. Just not a good day at the office. We need Celtic to beat them and the title's still in sight. Never give up to that ****.

sixtwo
27-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Had the players in front of him had enough skill to pass to their own players the ball wouldn't have been near maka as often.

Maka should accept responsibility for his part but not to free the rest of them.

for his part? the part where he let every shot on target hit the back of the ****ing net:grr::grr::grr::grr:

It's a bloody important part and he is not good enough for hibs. we deserve better.

MSK
27-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I'd like to ask a simple question, if they were your employees (which I think they are) would you be satisfied with thier collective (there are 11 of them in the beloved Hibee Green) performance and smile as you hand over their wages. I woul;d be F****n fumin. The huns are not that f***n good and we should not be that bad. Hughs needs to call a spade a spade. We obviously cant drop 11 players, but so what, were never goin to win f'all with this attitude

PS this has been radically censored (by me) as we had a power cut during my initial response (this is Africa after all) but I still find it unacceptable a Hibs eam should be so ***** especially after a 1 goal start.:grr::grr::grr:Aye..lets dock them all wages then eh ..that will be superb for moral !!!!

What would you suggest as an alternative ..?

Again you are on a rant..aye we have been beaten at home v huns ..we have done superbly well this season up to this point ..lets no go ****in knocking the stuffing outta the team eh ..they need our support no folk getting on their backs !!!

Ray_
27-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Agreed, all four goals were results of individual errors & the team's heads went down too easy, that's what sets the infirm apart from the rest. On the plus side, Yogi has plenty to work with & he knows he is only just starting:thumbsup:

.Sean.
27-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Bottled it big time. Not one of them can be pleased with such a dismal performance.

I am gutted :boo hoo:

SloopJB
27-12-2009, 03:57 PM
for his part? the part where he let every shot on target hit the back of the ****ing net:grr::grr::grr::grr:

It's a bloody important part and he is not good enough for hibs. we deserve better.
You're wrong, he made some saves.
Besides, a strikers job is to score so something is going to give.
Prior to letting those goals in, what was the sequence of play leading up to them?

We deserve better midfielders
we deserve better defenders
we deserve better strikers
How good a goalkeeper do we deserve?

Wull
27-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Aye..lets dock them all wages then eh ..that will be superb for moral !!!!

What would you suggest as an alternative ..?

Again you are on a rant..aye we have been beaten at home v huns ..we have done superbly well this season up to this point ..lets no go ****in knocking the stuffing outta the team eh ..they need our support no folk getting on their backs !!!

Ah would love ti work fur you

ancient hibee
27-12-2009, 03:59 PM
I blame the manager.I thought I was watching Falkirk.Total over elaboration-passing to make passes not to make progress-reluctance to cross the ball(one instance Miller had 3 opportunities and didn't take them)-defenders passing instead of giving it the wellie-the first 2 goals were as a result of our poor passes.We must mix the game up because passing the ball back and forward in front of a decent team is no way to win big matches.

sunshine1875
27-12-2009, 04:00 PM
:agree: to an extent. The H*nz had bruisers, who were prepared to battle, throughout their team. OK it wasn't pretty, it wasn't football but with Smith's teams what you see is what you get.

I don't know what Cregg was brought here for, he's the type that likes to rattle the opposition by getting his tackles in. Needed some of that today, and Rankin isn't up to that job. If Cregg isn't getting quoted for some reason, then a couple of big bruisers who aren't scared to get stuck in should be brought in in the transfer window, please, Yogi! Too many lightweights in the team.

The two young full backs were horribly exposed, throughout, too. Glad Bamba was there, because to my mind he held the defence together on his own. We will miss him big time when he is away, IMO.

Also I'm worried that our so-called embarrassment of riches up front isn't what it is cracked up to be. Deek has been off form for weeks, Nish has done well at some things but hasn't scored much, and Benji doesn't seem to get much time on the pitch. New forward needed, or do we take a risk with another young player and give Byrne a chance?

Agree with all but the last para. I thought we lost the battle in midfield and this left our full-backs very exposed. I really don't believe that today was a day to play with Stokes, Nish, Riordan and Zemamma. I think a more solid team would have been a better formation and Gregg would have been a better option to support Rankin and Miller.

I admire Yogi for trying to play football, but think it left us exposed in this game. I do think the longer we kept this game at nil-nil the better it would have been for us, but once they got the equaliser I could not see us winning.

Still - not too down. I think Yogi will use this game to get the best out of his squad.

Re - Maka, sorry had his chance, time to go. Yogi asks his guys to be strong. Maka isn't.

whiskyhibby
27-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm banging a drum that seems only mine to bang.

But I wholly disagree with this post mate.

They were firing on all cylinders from kick-off.

They were firing on all cylinders from the second-half kick-off.

Then the big guy let one in. And it was game over.

I don't think for one second that this was Yogi's fault. He's going to be the best manager we've had in a very long time.

I would guess he'll have them motivated for StJ. In fact I'm sure he will.

But he needs to buy another keeper.

I have to completely agree with this post, Hibs were excellent in the 1st 45 and still in it until the 3rd which seemed to take the wind out of the sails, however we need to get Stack back asap and probably need another GK, Murray was a big miss today but Sol Bamba was immense and will definately command up to £5M when sold

Malthibby
27-12-2009, 04:06 PM
We needed everyone to be at the top of their game today to compete with Der Hun & most were not. Against an OF team on fire just now that meant being turned over, & it is up to Hughes to get it sorted for Perth.
One doing does not a p - - h season make.
GG

RickyS
27-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Agree with all but the last para. I thought we lost the battle in midfield and this left our full-backs very exposed. I really don't believe that today was a day to play with Stokes, Nish, Riordan and Zemamma. I think a more solid team would have been a better formation and Gregg would have been a better option to support Rankin and Miller.

I admire Yogi for trying to play football, but think it left us exposed in this game. I do think the longer we kept this game at nil-nil the better it would have been for us, but once they got the equaliser I could not see us winning.

Still - not too down. I think Yogi will use this game to get the best out of his squad.

Re - Maka, sorry had his chance, time to go. Yogi asks his guys to be strong. Maka isn't.

I reckon he could have done better in 3 of the 4 goals. my prediction at the start of the season was that he would lose us 9 points over the season. i dont want to be proved right, in fact I would love to be proved wrong. Yogi said after the match, theres a right good goalie in there. if he goes ahead with the 3 yr contract then a year in the 1st div would be best for him. he only has to look at andy mcneill to see where he could end up with performances like today.

NAE NOOKIE
27-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Bamba was brilliant just about all day and will be a huge miss over the next few weeks.

It was a shame for the two full backs coz they had no protection, but Wotherspoon in particular. I lost count of the number of times he was given the ball and had no one to pass to due to the lack of movement in front of him.

Our formation was too lightwight in midfield for a game like this. I think we were second to just about every break of the ball and hardly won a header in there.

As for Maka:

Aye he went down like a sack of tatties at the first goal, but it was bad play by us which gave them the chance.

Same with the second goal, instead of hoofing it up the park Bamba gave it to Deeks with two players on him and no out ball. ( bog Sol's only mistake today )

Third goal ... The one thing which a keeper should never allow, beaten at his near post. :bitchy:

Fourth goal ... Not a great shot by miller and weak wrists for a big guy, should have kept it out, but once again he was left one on one by bad defending.

As for the game its self: The current buns scored with 4 out of about 6 chances and things went for them today, but having said that, they are in their best form of the season, too many of our players had an off day and for once very little luck. In short we didn't deserve to win and they did.

Now we will see what Hibs as a club are made of over the next week.

We havn't become crap overnight, but we will have to prove that away to St Johnstone ( never easy ) and at home to the manky mob, who will be laughing into their Gin and Tonics tonight.

Hibees Forever :flag:

GreenCastle
27-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Bamba was brilliant just about all day and will be a huge miss over the next few weeks.

It was a shame for the two full backs coz they had no protection, but Wotherspoon in particular. I lost count of the number of times he was given the ball and had no one to pass to due to the lack of movement in front of him.

Our formation was too lightwight in midfield for a game like this. I think we were second to just about every break of the ball and hardly won a header in there.

As for Maka:

Aye he went down like a sack of tatties at the first goal, but it was bad play by us which gave them the chance.

Same with the second goal, instead of hoofing it up the park Bamba gave it to Deeks with two players on him and no out ball. ( bog Sol's only mistake today )

Third goal ... The one thing which a keeper should never allow, beaten at his near post. :bitchy:

Fourth goal ... Not a great shot by miller and weak wrists for a big guy, should have kept it out, but once again he was left one on one by bad defending.

As for the game its self: The current buns scored with 4 out of about 6 chances and things went for them today, but having said that, they are in their best form of the season, too many of our players had an off day and for once very little luck. In short we didn't deserve to win and they did.

Now we will see what Hibs as a club are made of over the next week.

We havn't become crap overnight, but we will have to prove that away to St Johnstone ( never easy ) and at home to the manky mob, who will be laughing into their Gin and Tonics tonight.

Hibees Forever :flag:

Agree with everything you say except bits in bold :

1st goal - Liam Miller gave ball away in dangerous area with a pass too straight.

Overall I thought Wotherspoon gave the ball away too often. He's been tremendous this season and is a great player for the future but he was making passes which weren't on. I also agree slightly that we stopped passing and moving after Rangers scored their 1st.

2nd goal - Bamba should have cleared it - but Deeks shouldn't try beat 2 players in such a tight situation.

Overall a great start - some of the best passing and moving I've seen this season but after that 1st goal went in for them - did we know how to react and keep our compusure....no.

Lets hope we improve the next two games - and luckily we aren't unbeaten going into the yams going or that would have been extra pressure!

greenlex
27-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Don't think we bottled it. But most Huns now think Santa is a big guy from Belgium.

They were stronger than us yet we played some our best football this season in the first 20 mins. In the end we were not good enough against the Scottish champions
Or an Irish leprecaurn (sp) or a Pilton Wide Boy or an Ivorian Internationalist.
To pick the big guy out is wrong. We bottled it as a team Simples.

ancient hibee
27-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Far too many players are looking for special passes-there is a time to hoof the ball while you regroup but unfortunately this is not what the manager wants and it blew up in our faces big time.

MSK
27-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Ah would love ti work fur youDinnae flatter yersel mate ..

GreenCastle
27-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm just hoping our confidence isn't totally shattered.

In the second half we couldn't put 5 passes together. In the 1st 20 mins there was a move with 20 + passes which ok we weren't going to continue all game but long balls against the huns doesn't work.

Quick passing or players running at their defense does :agree:

Players went hiding - and we stopped doing the basics of passing then moving.

The Voice Of Reason
27-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Guess we'll find out.

I am afraid we did find out......:boo hoo:

Bishop Hibee
27-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Their worst player in terms of ability equaling wages is probably on at least double what our best paid player is on. Sadly in a capitalist system that says it all.

Having said that, there fans are a gathering of evil trolls from every wee scheme and village from schemie Scotland.

I thank God that my sons are Hibees to the core :flag:

Landells
27-12-2009, 10:16 PM
At the end of the day we are just a middle table team:boo hoo:

Bishop Hibee
27-12-2009, 10:19 PM
At the end of the day we are just a middle table team:boo hoo:

Nonsense. We lost today to a team that are 1 of 2 who will win the league. Dry your eyes and realise that we lost to a team that are 1 of 2 that will win the league.

Our performance v St J and Hertz will reveal mort than today did.

EasterRoad4Ever
28-12-2009, 07:57 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Anthony-Stokes-berates-lack-of.5940336.jp

Interesting and revealing comments from Stokes on yesterdays defeat, and the kind of statements that you rarely hear Hibs players making. Stokes clearly thought we had a chance of doing something this year, and sounds utterly gutted at the lack of spirit and character that has inflicted Hibernian FC for more than a generation. He sounds completely disillusioned and Yogi will have a job on his hands to build him up again.

IMHO this is exactly the type of character we need at ER, but also the type that we'll just not hold onto. More likely Stokes (and Miller) will be off along the M8 in the summer to join up with like-minded players who have a backbone and winning mentality :grr:

sunshine1875
28-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Yogi talks about 'mental toughness' and 'strong characters'. There are a few in our team who don't have that. Yes, they are good when things are going the teams way, but not when we really need it yesterday, like just after Rangers equalised.

So who in past teams had that 'mental toughness' and 'strong character'? They don't need to be the most gifted players, but you could rely on them when you needed them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8431742.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8431742.stm)

EasterRoad4Ever
28-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Yogi talks about 'mental toughness' and 'strong characters'. There are a few in our team who don't have that. Yes, they are good when things are going the teams way, but not when we really need it yesterday, like just after Rangers equalised.

So who in past teams had that 'mental toughness' and 'strong character'? They don't need to be the most gifted players, but you could rely on them when you needed them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8431742.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8431742.stm)

As a club Hibs have regularly attracted players of limited character and ambition, or have quickly lost them to the OF if they wanted to win things. How many of the current crop actually think they've got a chance of winning anything with Hibs ? Other than Miller, Zouma and maybe Stokes... probably none.

Frank Sauzee was a rare exception to that rule.

Simkin911
28-12-2009, 09:36 AM
As a club Hubs have regularly attracted players of limited character and ambition, or have quickly lost them to the OF if they wanted to win things. How many of the current crop actually think they've got a chance of winning anything with Hibs ? Other than Miller, Zouma and maybe Stokes... probably none.

Frank Sauzee was a rare exception to that rule.

I totally agree. Sauzee was an exception as he had ability and mental strength. Latapy & Goram are also true and some others less gifted like Jack & Hughes himself spring to mind.

I'd add Murray & Bamba to your list of the current team but that's about it. :rolleyes:

bigwheel
28-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I think this touches on the biggest issie out of yesterday. The team didn't show themselves up for the battle when Rangers went 2-1 up...maybe even when they equalised. Now considering the first two goals were given away to them, even Rangers would have been mildly surprised to be going in ahead at half time....yet, we didn't have the toughness to keep disciplined work harder and put them under as wee bit pressure.

Yogi and team have a lot of work to do if we are to keep some decent momentum going for the season...

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2009, 09:46 AM

Interesting and revealing comments from Stokes on yesterdays defeat, and the kind of statements that you rarely hear Hibs players making. Stokes clearly thought we had a chance of doing something this year, and sounds utterly gutted at the lack of spirit and character that has inflicted Hibernian FC for more than a generation. He sounds completely disillusioned and Yogi will have a job on his hands to build him up again.

IMHO this is exactly the type of character we need at ER, but also the type that we'll just not hold onto. More likely Stokes (and Miller) will be off along the M8 in the summer to join up with like-minded players who have a backbone and winning mentality :grr:

What is disgraceful is the quote by the Messiah Yogi..... "We were always going to lose that game"....

What an appalling thing to say, and we would have been as well not turning up...... Mr Ratner type of quote from Yogi:grr::grr:

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 10:13 AM

I dont know what Stokes' said that gave you that impression. I'm pleased with what he said and pleased that he's taken defeat so hard. You will also notice that he said 'the same goes for all of us'; ie-showing collective responsibility, so he's not just pointing fingers at his teammates, hes saying we lose as a team, win as a team. I'm sure Yogi would agree.

--------
28-12-2009, 10:33 AM
What is disgraceful is the quote by the Messiah Yogi..... "We were always going to lose that game"....

What an appalling thing to say, and we would have been as well not turning up...... Mr Ratner type of quote from Yogi:grr::grr:

Really? I remember Ned Turnbull saying almost exactly the same thing after the 6-1 drubbing in the Cup Final of 1972. he said he went into the dressing-room before kick-off, saw all the white faces, and knew the game was lost.

But as Yogi said, it's the manager's job to take the players past that stage and teach them how to cope with the big games and the big occasions.

We've improved dramatically over last season, and we have some very good players on our books. We haven't come as far as some of us thought we had, and this result has shown it. I wasn't at the game (working) but it seems to me that Yogi's analysis is just about right.

We got off to a flier, but failed to capitalise on it. Rangers fought their way back and equalised, and I'm willing to bet it was then we lost the place.

I'm also willing to bet that it was around the point iof the Rangers fight-back that a lot of our 'fans' started getting on the backs of their own players.

We have a manager who's realistic about the progress the team's made, and honest with the press and fans. Nothing disgraceful about it. What IS disgraceful is the way so many of us turn on our players and manager every time we don't get the result we've decided we're entitled to.

I dont know what Stokes' said that gave you that impression. I'm pleased with what he said and pleased that he's taken defeat so hard. You will also notice that he said 'the same goes for all of us'; ie-showing collective responsibility, so he's not just pointing fingers at his teammates, hes saying we lose as a team, win as a team. I'm sure Yogi would agree.

Agree up to a point, though it does come over a little as if he's criticising his team-mates.

My thought is that we need to see the forwards and midfield working as a unit - it seems that right now we either have Deek scoring or Stokes scoring, but we don't have ganes where Deek AND Stokes AND a couple of others score....

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Had the game of association football lasted 15 minutes instead of 90, as the god of short attention spans intended, then we'd have been celebrating a major victory.

Ehm...just a thought.

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Yogi just believes in predestination. I'm sure Doddie would agree:wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Anyone notice some of the same people who crtisiced us fans for having a go at Mixu last season, seem to be the ones having a go at yogi this season? Maybe a little annoyed they were wrong, maybe their not man, and never will be? :devil:

Baldy Foghorn
28-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Really? I remember Ned Turnbull saying almost exactly the same thing after the 6-1 drubbing in the Cup Final of 1972. he said he went into the dressing-room before kick-off, saw all the white faces, and knew the game was lost.

But as Yogi said, it's the manager's job to take the players past that stage and teach them how to cope with the big games and the big occasions.

We've improved dramatically over last season, and we have some very good players on our books. We haven't come as far as some of us thought we had, and this result has shown it. I wasn't at the game (working) but it seems to me that Yogi's analysis is just about right.

We got off to a flier, but failed to capitalise on it. Rangers fought their way back and equalised, and I'm willing to bet it was then we lost the place.

I'm also willing to bet that it was around the point iof the Rangers fight-back that a lot of our 'fans' started getting on the backs of their own players.

We have a manager who's realistic about the progress the team's made, and honest with the press and fans. Nothing disgraceful about it. What IS disgraceful is the way so many of us turn on our players and manager every time we don't get the result we've decided we're entitled to.

Agree up to a point, though it does come over a little as if he's criticising his team-mates.

My thought is that we need to see the forwards and midfield working as a unit - it seems that right now we either have Deek scoring or Stokes scoring, but we don't have ganes where Deek AND Stokes AND a couple of others score....

I think that shows a defeatist attitude Doddie. We might have lost but lets be honest the Old Firm are garbage this Season and are there for the taking, yet we have lost in both home games against them.

We have not played well all season bar a couple of matches, and still believe there is more to come from us as a team, however certain individuals believe that they are better than they are.

I would have said we want to and expect to win every game, but we surrended the match meekly yesterday, and I certainly dont want to hear our manager saying it was a game we were always going to lose...... If playing Barcelona or Real Madrid, then fine, but not against a very ordinary Rangers side..........

norhfc
28-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Prior to letting those goals in, what was the sequence of play leading up to them?

According to Sky Sports match facts department.

Rangers...shots on goal 5
on target 4

and that was a few minutes before final whistle,no many saves then.

--------
28-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I think that shows a defeatist attitude Doddie. We might have lost but lets be honest the Old Firm are garbage this Season and are there for the taking, yet we have lost in both home games against them.

We have not played well all season bar a couple of matches, and still believe there is more to come from us as a team, however certain individuals believe that they are better than they are.

I would have said we want to and expect to win every game, but we surrended the match meekly yesterday, and I certainly dont want to hear our manager saying it was a game we were always going to lose...... If playing Barcelona or Real Madrid, then fine, but not against a very ordinary Rangers side..........

I'm perfectly sure Yogi didn't say anything about losing the game before kick-off, any more than Ned did in 1972. They were both talking to the press after the event, and had been asked to account for an unexpectedly heavy defeat.

Frankly, I'd rather hear the manager admitting that there was work to be done on the team, and that the players as a team needed to learn from a defeat, rather than just laying into one or two (or more) of them, or moaning about the referee, or coming out with some horse-feathers about "I thought we were a lot better than the score suggests".

I agree that there are a number of players who need a reality check. I DO think, though that there IS a lot more to come from these players, and I'm content to let Yogi get on with the work of finding it.

Rangers aren't anything like as bad as some folks have been suggesting, btw. They've had a couiple fo players unavailable (Beasley, Edu, for example) and they haven't been playing well. But Rangers never lack courage and determination, and they've been finding a bot of form lately.

The amount of bull**** some folks have been posting on here about them the past couple of weeks, I'm surprised the admins aren't thinkiing of going into the agricultural fertiliser business.... :wink:

--------
28-12-2009, 11:24 AM

"Deserve"? :confused:

We have a manager.

The manager has a budget - one that won't drive the club as a business into unmanageable debt (see "Tynie", "HoMFC", "Romanov", and "UKIO Bankas").

Within the budget, the manager has to sign up enough players of an adequate standard to keep the club in the top league, as high up the top league as possible, and if possible qualify the club to play in Europe and maybe even win a trophy or two.

Seems to me Yogi's doing that.

SOME faithful Hibs supporters deserve to see more success than they have done in the past 50 years.

OTHERS (the ones who spend more time abusing and bad-mouthing their own players and managers than supporting them) deserve NOTHING.

If the SPL and UEFA gave points for snide and petty, a big chunk of the Hibs support would be all-time perpetual champions of Europe, IMO.

Crazyhorse
28-12-2009, 11:26 AM
The result was very disappointing but the Huns have been playing very well in recent weeks and hibs have been not been performing well. Rangers converted all their chances yesterday and we were missing two of our toughest players mentally. If we lose our next two games it will be a mini slump but I don't think we will. We will go on to have our best season in years I reckon.

Jim44
28-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Rangers aren't anything like as bad as some folks have been suggesting, btw. They've had a couiple fo players unavailable (Beasley, Edu, for example) and they haven't been playing well. But Rangers never lack courage and determination, and they've been finding a bot of form lately.

:greengrin Our first goal caught them on the hop and left them staggering for 15 minutes. Once they found their feet they dominated the game. They are nowhere near as poor as some people make out and are probably very long odds on to walk away with the league. We can forget all about challenging at the very top and concentrate on regaining a foothold on 3rd place which we are in serious danger of throwing away. And what's worse I don't like who we are likely to throw it away to.

ps. wrong smilie used......it should be :agree:

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 11:32 AM
"Deserve"? :confused:

SOME faithful Hibs supporters deserve to see more success than they have done in the past 50 years.

OTHERS (the ones who spend more time abusing and bad-mouthing their own players and managers than supporting them) deserve NOTHING.

If the SPL and UEFA gave points for snide and petty, a big chunk of the Hibs support would be all-time perpetual champions of Europe, IMO.

That would get my vote for post of the year:top marksNot that its anything to be pleased about:boo hoo:

--------
28-12-2009, 11:33 AM
:greengrin Our first goal caught them on the hop and left them staggering for 15 minutes. Once they found their feet they dominated the game. They are nowhere near as poor as some people make out and are probably very long odds on to walk away with the league. We can forget all about challenging at the very top and concentrate on regaining a foothold on 3rd place which we are in serious danger of throwing away. And what's worse I don't like who we are likely to throw it away to.

ps. wrong smilie used......it should be :agree:

:agree: We're missing McBride more than many realise, and we were missing Murray as well yesterday. Like it or not (and some folks don't) Murray is the cool head in defence and Bamba plays a lot better with Ian alongside him.

Totally agree - we need to knuckle down and make sure of third place and the Europa spot. I'm not sure I'd say we're in 'serious danger' of throwing it away - yet.... :cool2:

Hibs Spain
28-12-2009, 11:42 AM
[/I][/B]
I reckon he could have done better in 3 of the 4 goals. my prediction at the start of the season was that he would lose us 9 points over the season. i dont want to be proved right, in fact I would love to be proved wrong. Yogi said after the match, theres a right good goalie in there. if he goes ahead with the 3 yr contract then a year in the 1st div would be best for him. he only has to look at andy mcneill to see where he could end up with performances like today.What three year contract?

--------
28-12-2009, 11:43 AM
That would get my vote for post of the year:top marksNot that its anything to be pleased about:boo hoo:

I'm NOT pleased about it, mate.

50 bloody years of listening to it. IIRC when I first went to ER it was Joe davis the left-back and Pat Quinn who were to blame when we lost. Then it was Chris Shevlane. then it was big Cilla Black and Jim Herriot. Then it was Brian Hamilton. Recently it's been Alen Orman, Stu Lovell, Benji, Maka/Stack (depending on who was playing and who's the whinger), John Rankin....

I KNOW other supporters do it, but our lot have raised it to an art-form.

I remember standing on the main terrace in te late 1960's watching us lose to rangers, and some plook behind me in a green scarf spending the entire match yelling at one of our defenders that he was crap, that he was *****, that he was an idiot, and that he'd never make a footballer. The defender was one you may remember - he went by the name of John Blackley. Just as well the moron in the scarf wasn't on the board.

I've done it myself on occasion, I know. (Not as bad as that, though.) Sometimes the atmosphere gets so poisonous it affects everyone, including the team. I give up. :rolleyes:

Hibs Spain
28-12-2009, 11:47 AM

What an appalling thing to say, and we would have been as well not turning up...... Mr Ratner type of quote from Yogi:grr::grr:I noticed that.From the guy who wants us to have the same winning mentality is the OF ..Not too clever!

--------
28-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I noticed that.From the guy who wants us to have the same winning mentality is the OF ..Not too clever!

What he ACTUALLY said was:

"I'm not going to be too hard on my boys, who have been fantastic since I came to the club, and this might be a blessing in disguise. It was always going to happen. We were always going to lose that game. What we need to do is roll our sleeves up and see if we can bounce right back from it. Possibly we can't match the Old Firm, which is disappointing. You're playing against the Scottish champions, a team that has hit form, and for 30 minutes there's a wee bit (of hope]. Then I think we got scared a wee bit. It's my job to ask why, so the next time we come up against that challenge we're better for it."

The man's speaking in hindsight in a post-match interview where he's been asked to account for an unexpectedly heavy defeat. As I said already, I recollect Ned T saying much the same thing after the 1972 Cup Final where we lost 6-1. Yogi and Ned - two notoriously lily-livered yellow-bellied cowardly surrender-monkeys, right?

Realism is a virtue in a team coach.

Make the same allowances for Yogi that you expect others to make for Maka, why don't you?

I smell Yam. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm NOT pleased about it, mate.

50 bloody years of listening to it. IIRC when I first went to ER it was Joe davis the left-back and Pat Quinn who were to blame when we lost. Then it was Chris Shevlane. then it was big Cilla Black and Jim Herriot. Then it was Brian Hamilton. Recently it's been Alen Orman, Stu Lovell, Benji, Maka/Stack (depending on who was playing and who's the whinger), John Rankin....

I KNOW other supporters do it, but our lot have raised it to an art-form.

I remember standing on the main terrace in te late 1960's watching us lose to rangers, and some plook behind me in a green scarf spending the entire match yelling at one of our defenders that he was crap, that he was *****, that he was an idiot, and that he'd never make a footballer. The defender was one you may remember - he went by the name of John Blackley. Just as well the moron in the scarf wasn't on the board.

I've done it myself on occasion, I know. (Not as bad as that, though.) Sometimes the atmosphere gets so poisonous it affects everyone, including the team. I give up. :rolleyes:

I thought i'd heard it all until yesterday, someone behind me shouted 'Wotherspoon, yer just shee-ite'. He was properly raging, like he had been wronged. You've got to laugh:rolleyes:

Andy74
28-12-2009, 10:13 PM
When Hughes says we were always going to lose 'that game' I think he means the fact we were always going to lose sometime after the run. He's been saying it for a few weeks that we will lose sometime. I don't think he meant that we were never going to beat Rangers.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 10:15 PM
When Hughes says we were always going to lose 'that game' I think he means the fact we were always going to lose sometime after the run. He's been saying it for a few weeks that we will lose sometime. I don't think he meant that we were never going to beat Rangers.

:agree: Some people are just looking to have a go at him, perhaps they did not get who they wanted as manager.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Just found this on the official site, perhaps there is just a misunderstanding.

"But I'm not going to be too hard on my players. They have been fantastic since I came to the club - and this may turn out to be a wee blessing in disguise. It was always going to happen, we were always going to get beat, but what we need to do is roll the sleeves up and see if we can bounce back from it.