PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

...WentToMowAnSPL
27-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Naive Tactics.

We were playing like we playing a second leg and had to win 3-0. IF we had calmed down a bit, we would have not been so exposed, and would have picked them off on the break

Simples.

Bloody frustrating though, I think the contrast between how well it was going for the first 20 minutes and the rest of the match, is what is driving us all nuts tonight.. :grr:

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Naive Tactics.

We were playing like we playing a second leg and had to win 3-0. IF we had calmed down a bit, we would have not been so exposed, and would have picked them off on the break

Simples.

Bloody frustrating though, I think the contrast between how well it was going for the first 20 minutes and the rest of the match, is what is driving us all nuts tonight.. :grr:

Never saw any tactics being used after they equalised, Yogi never knew what to do to change things around........

...WentToMowAnSPL
27-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Never saw any tactics being used after they equalised, Yogi never knew what to do to change things around........

I think that's my point. Lots of posts blaming the players, but Yogi could have played this more canny...

The players looked lost after Rangers had scored.. then again, if we had scored a second, then we would have probably gone on to stuff the huns...

And by the way, I thought for the first 20 minutes Nish played excellently, everything hit towards him he controlled and passed back to set up the next wave of attack..

David@EasterRoad
28-12-2009, 12:10 AM
It's easy to say the tactics were wrong but it was individual errors that let them back into the game. Miller sloppy pass for the first, sol deek not clearing for second and then maka for the third. With each goal the heads went down and one or two didn't want the ball and went into hiding.

rainman
28-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Is there any chance we were just outclassed by a team who's wage bill is triple/quadruple ours?

shamo9
28-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Is there any chance we were just outclassed by a team who's wage bill is triple/quadruple ours?

They were just excellent at capitalising on individual errors (as all the top teams are). Miller sloppy pass = goal; Bamba's poor 'clearance' to Riordan = goal; Maka having a few of his funny moments = goal x2...

The only thing that really disappointed me today was how the heads went down completely after the third goal. To my immense irritation I(we) had to endure about 40 minutes of a glorified training match because they just gave up trying to get a result - that's unacceptable and Yogi should've made the changes a lot earlier.

Hopefully we'll be able to freshen things up a bit against St Johnstone (Stack, McBride, Galbraith and Benji please), the culprits from yesterday could definitely use a kick up the backside.

Sir David Gray
28-12-2009, 12:37 AM
They were just excellent at capitalising on individual errors (as all the top teams are). Miller sloppy pass = goal; Bamba's poor 'clearance' to Riordan = goal; Maka having a few of his funny moments = goal x2...

The only thing that really disappointed me today was how the heads went down completely after the third goal. To my immense irritation I(we) had to endure about 40 minutes of a glorified training match because they just gave up trying to get a result - that's unacceptable and Yogi should've made the changes a lot earlier.

Hopefully we'll be able to freshen things up a bit against St Johnstone (Stack, McBride, Galbraith and Benji please), the culprits from yesterday could definitely use a kick up the backside.

:agree: There definitely has to be some kind of repercussions after that performance, even if it was against Rangers.

If everyone is fit and available (with the obvious exception of Bamba), this is how I think we should line up on Wednesday night;

Stack

Murray
Hanlon
Hogg
Wotherspoon

McBride
Miller
Zemmama
Galbraith

Stokes
Benjelloun

SUBS

Makalambay
Thicot
Stevenson
Cregg
Rankin
Riordan
Nish

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Tactics had nothing to do with todays defeat. Individual errors cost us 4 goals today, how do you set tactics against that?:confused:

davym7062
28-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Tactics had nothing to do with todays defeat. Individual errors cost us 4 goals today, how do you set tactics against that?:confused:

dead right BH.

YetholmHibee
28-12-2009, 02:42 AM

Forget about the individual mistakes.

What was the 'Hughes' tactics?

After 20 minutes I knew we were not good enough.

Riordan - if he his playing 'crap' what do you do (?). Thats when your manager has to be strong. Today he was not strong!

bigstu
28-12-2009, 03:51 AM
don't play 4-3-3 to start with

Regina Phalange
28-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Hughes had a bit of a shocker today. Yes individual mistakes cost us, both at the back and in midfield. Miller's too were very surprising, both under no pressure trying to make a killer pass when it wasn't on, when he has won us over with his decision making and ability to keep things ticking over and NOT always try the spectacular - no fault of Hughes there. Riordan being caught on the ball for the second is no surprise though, and will happen if Hughes insists on playing him on the left of a four. He was shocking today and against good teams will get found out in that role. Yogi should have had him hooked at half time or in the first 10 of the second half, or at least shifted him into a different role to get him into the game. Watching us concede again and again with no effort to switch things up was excruciating. Similarly Nish should have been subbed sooner, at 2-1 or earlier. Benji looked sharp when he came on.

At the back our defensive line was disorganised. The back 4 wasn't working as a unit. That is something Yogi should be working on day in day out - we only had 1 change from our regular back four and it wasn't in a central position, yet they looked like they had just met. Wotherspoon is clearly not a natural defender, and his defensive play was naive throughout. With a midfielder at right back and a forward at left mid we were always going to struggle. Yogi went for it by not changing the side which had been winning, and I admire him for sticking to his guns. Had we kept out lead I would have been the first to praise him for it, but when it started to go wrong he didn't react and had he done so at the right time and in the right way I think we would have at least escaped with a fighting 1 goal defeat, and with a bit of luck and the break of the ball could have fought back to earn some points. Instead he just the team's spirit be broken and only changed it when the game was dead.

berwickhibee
28-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Bollocks!!!

Forget about the individual mistakes then!

what was the 'Hughes' tactics !!!!

Headless comes to mind.

After 20 minutes I knew what was wrong & what was coming :agree:

Riordan - if he his playing 'crap' what do you do (?). Thats when your manager becomes strong. Today he was not strong!

Hughes is not the super manager that every one thinks - lucky so far.

McCormack for full back!

dont think anybody on here thinks yogi is a some kind of super manager,but so far he has us punching way above our level with the threadbare squad we have,plus his signings stokes,miller,mcbride,cregg and stack all look good bits of business.

rather than slaughter the man for playing the same tactics which has seen our best start in years,we should be applauding what the man has achieved in 6 months after the mess mixu left,time for the fans and the board to back the big man:notworthy:

EasterRoad4Ever
28-12-2009, 08:24 AM

IMHO tactics did contribute to our downfall. Hibs players don't have the basic skills to play that type of game - quick one touch passing right through the heart of the Huns. Every time it broke down, the Huns were able to break onto our back 4, as our m/f had already pushed forward. When it worked (as it did once in the first 13 seconds) its devastating, but more often it floundered with a poor pass and we were onto the back foot chasing the Huns down the pitch.

Yogi needs to understand we're not Arsenal. Miller & Zouma might be able to play to those tactics but the rest are just not good enough footballers.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Bollocks!!!

Forget about the individual mistakes then!

what was the 'Hughes' tactics !!!!

Headless comes to mind.

After 20 minutes I knew what was wrong & what was coming :agree:

Riordan - if he his playing 'crap' what do you do (?). Thats when your manager becomes strong. Today he was not strong!

Hughes is not the super manager that every one thinks - lucky so far.

McCormack for full back!

So you dont agree. :faf:

down the slope
28-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Spot on with what you said, we gifted Rangers the game and there is no tactics that can overcome individual errors. Looking back apart from the goals i don't think our keeper was overworked-plenty of corners but not much else, we made rangers look better than they are and you only have to go back to the game at Ibrox to get a true reflection of the two teams.

tbfhibs
28-12-2009, 09:39 AM
It's easy to say the tactics were wrong but it was individual errors that let them back into the game. Miller sloppy pass for the first, sol deek not clearing for second and then maka for the third. With each goal the heads went down and one or two didn't want the ball and went into hiding.
Spot on.

The Voice Of Reason
28-12-2009, 09:43 AM

Agreed :agree:

Have posted something similiar in the "BBC Highlights" thread.

bobbyhibs1983
28-12-2009, 10:09 AM

whats a wage bill gotta do with anything?
As an example, manchester united were beaten by fulham(sp) the other week,
what are the chances of man und wage bill being 3-4 maybe 5 times fulham's?

I dont think we were outclassed, outfought i think.As a few people have said we maybe a few mistakes, rangers easily did something bout it.

Expecting Rain
28-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Naive Tactics.

Simples.

Spot on, total naivety.

stubru59
28-12-2009, 11:11 AM
With the best will in the world tactics will get you nowhere when players make unforced error's.

Heads going down is a sign of weakness. Unless you have strong characters on the bench, desperate to get on and put things right, no amount of tactical nous is of much use.

Certain players were exposed in more than one one. How they deal with the experience will be a determinant factor in whether they have a future at Easter Road.

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Using the non-word 'simples' negates any redeeming features your post may have had:grr:

PISTOL1875
28-12-2009, 04:58 PM
When we went 1-0 up , I thought we should've ditched the 442 and played 451 to make the game stuffy and spoil it.. We still played with the 2 up and this allowed McCulloch and Davis time and space to stamp there mark on the game.. When Rangers went 2-1 up , Smith straight away moved Miller back into midfield and Boyd up top on his own to kill it for the last 10minutes of the 1st half...

Yogi needs to learn that sometimes we need to make the game crap so we can stop better teams gaining an advantage... It's not about playing great football all the time....

LaMotta
28-12-2009, 05:42 PM
When we went 1-0 up , I thought we should've ditched the 442 and played 451 to make the game stuffy and spoil it.. We still played with the 2 up and this allowed McCulloch and Davis time and space to stamp there mark on the game.. When Rangers went 2-1 up , Smith straight away moved Miller back into midfield and Boyd up top on his own to kill it for the last 10minutes of the 1st half...

Yogi needs to learn that sometimes we need to make the game crap so we can stop better teams gaining an advantage... It's not about playing great football all the time....

Totally agree.

As a team we were playing very high up the park, something that when leading one nil is unneccesary IMO especially against a team with pace to burn up front.

This meant that when we gave the ball away (all too often yesterday), they were able to break quickly in our half using the pace of novo and kenny miller in one on one situations against our defenders.

Even before the first goal Novo got clear up the left and this nearly led to a goal (when Miller got injured in the 6 yrd box) and then when hogg tripped miller in the box, but brines never gave the pen. SO the warning signs were there.

Rangers, particularly after they took the lead were very good at getting nine or ten men behind the ball and we just didnt have any way to break them down. Mixus's team for last season (for all their sins) done it brilliantly against the old firm three times at ER last season.

I remember all the moaning after the two draws at ER late last season for our anti-football, but I think having gone one nil up early yesterday, I would have happily taken a slightly more disciplined approach to the game.

ancient hibee
28-12-2009, 06:46 PM
What games are someof you watching?We don't play with 2 up-only 1.We had the ball for 20 minutes and did nothing with it after the first one.Pointless passing-no pressure-we were like Falkirk last season-and that's what is wrong with the tactics.

BT58
28-12-2009, 07:05 PM
yogi stated on sky that he wanted the team to play in a diamond thingy
but due to the bad weather we played 4-4-2
due to bad luck in losing murray[which can happen to any team]
i fear that we never had enuff experience on trhe park
also although nishy has been playing well up front lately, he does not have the attacking threat that deeks would have
this result shows that yogi does not have enough strength in depth

rantic have had many seasons to build their teams
YOGI has only been in charge fer 17 games
january is gonna be an interesting month
now we will see if the board are gonna back him
we wont win the league,,,,,,but we can have a say where its going
ps not gonna mention yon shiny metal thingy :wink::wink::wink:
hb

LaMotta
28-12-2009, 11:10 PM
What games are someof you watching?We don't play with 2 up-only 1.We had the ball for 20 minutes and did nothing with it after the first one.Pointless passing-no pressure-we were like Falkirk last season-and that's what is wrong with the tactics.

Dumbarton v Stenhousemuir.......

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Please refer to the 'How to Disagree' thread:cool2:

hibhib7
29-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't blame Yogi for the first half as we were by far the better team until they scored. But the second half . . .

I was shocked when he played the same formation when we had all witnessed Rangers tactics (sucker us in then hit us on the break). We should have shored up the midfield - we were only one goal down and, by that stage, would have been delighted with a draw.The keeper should have come off and been replaced by the young guy on the bench, playing with an injured goalie isn't clever.

Finally, if we are selecting Riordan every week let's play him in a position where we will get the best from him. He has neither the desire nor the strength to track back and put in tackles.

I must add that I am 100% behind Yogi and I believe he will learn from this after he has analysed the performance.