PDA

View Full Version : Reality check / overconfidence (merged)

hibbie02
27-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Well today proved that you can't afford to play like crap and expect anything out of the OF. We may be third in the league but we have rarely ever set the heather on fire in our games. Too many grinds and scraping draws. We are not anywhere near as good as our potential and we have too many passengers. Yogi is getting there but a lot will depend on the business we do in January. I hope the team are smelling the coffee now and don't believe dah hype.

Maka has to go, Deek has to find ways of getting into games as the last couple he has been anonymous. We need better Full Backs, not make do ones. Rankin and Nish should get in the same taxi as Maka and suitable replacements found.

However if we win next Sunday................:greengrin

spudhib
27-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Aye Yogi GTF:grr::yawn:

bobbyhibs1983
27-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Aye Yogi GTF:grr::yawn:

surely its petrie gtf?:grr:

Now now folks its one bad game, Hopefully we can sorta the mess out over the next few days, the big game for me is next sunday

spudhib
27-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Now now folks its one bad game, Hopefully we can sorta the mess out over the next few days, the big game for me is next sunday

Surely the big game is Wed,lose that allied to a Yam win and next sunday is squeaky bum time.:boo hoo:

Hamish
27-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Wednesday is the biggest game of the season so far. It will show us if they are up for the fight - there were a few who hid in the second half today.

Hearts will probably beat Well, who are on current form the worst team in the league, on Wed. We need to, at the very least, take a point at McDermid.

Sunday should be interesting.

lEXO
27-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Today was a reality check for a section of our supporters and some of our players.I,ve heard and read some players and several supporters voicing their opinion that we can win the league.I did,nt and dont think we can,and as much as i admire confidence it needs to be tempered.Yogi has said all along that he is happy with where we are, but we are by no means a great team.
Today was a bad result, but we need to put it behind us and move on.I havent read any other threads, but looking at the titles it is fair to say that it,s blame the usual suspects.I never thought we were as good as some have made out, but we are not as bad as several will say we are.This happens occasionally,but FFS lets remember it,s our first defeat in 13 and realise that it happens.

Liberal Hibby
27-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Quite - well said.

mcfly
27-12-2009, 07:52 PM
if there is a positive to take it may let the board realise that we need more players in jan - certainly a defender and a goalie!!

brydekirk
27-12-2009, 07:55 PM
if there is a positive to take it may let the board realise that we need more players in jan - certainly a defender and a goalie!!

:agree: not to mention a left midfielder :thumbsup:

hibbie02
27-12-2009, 09:45 PM

No it is not one bad game. There have been several. This time our luck ran out and we were exposed.

chrisski33
27-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Today was a reality check for a section of our supporters and some of our players.I,ve heard and read some players and several supporters voicing their opinion that we can win the league.I did,nt and dont think we can,and as much as i admire confidence it needs to be tempered.Yogi has said all along that he is happy with where we are, but we are by no means a great team.
Today was a bad result, but we need to put it behind us and move on.I havent read any other threads, but looking at the titles it is fair to say that it,s blame the usual suspects.I never thought we were as good as some have made out, but we are not as bad as several will say we are.This happens occasionally,but FFS lets remember it,s our first defeat in 13 and realise that it happens.

Hear hear! Good post!

Jones28
28-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Needed to get that defeat out of the way before the derby IMHO

Hopefully win mid-week and PUMP hearts on the 3rd :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
28-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Needed to get that defeat out of the way before the derby IMHO
Hopefully win mid-week and PUMP hearts on the 3rd :thumbsup:

My thinking also, it was always going to come sooner or later. I'm glad in a sense that it has happened today, as I would much prefer to have the bragging rights against the Yams than Huns.

Chill time :cool2: 3rd in may will do me fine..

YetholmHibee
28-12-2009, 01:28 AM
After 20 minuites I knew we would struggle

Hughes, like a few players struggled today.

IMHO Riordan should of been off after 20 mins.

MAKA - I stayed to the end to say cheerio's to him - hopefully for the LAST TIME.

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Did anyone else think that both the team and the fans were a little guilty of (stupidly) showboating before the Huns strolled up the park and slammed in four goals?

Aubenas
28-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Exactly what I said, Dashing Bob. And you can't afford to do that against a team like Rangers. We made 4 mistakes and they punished us. You need a bit of swagger, but in the right area of the pitch and at the right time. Everyone always said we had to be at the top of our game to win this, and we weren't. It's not the end of the world and I'd rather drop points to teams above than below us. We HAVE been riding our luck for some time and this was a wake up call. Now we just start building another run - hopefully with a couple of new faces in January.

I've always tried to defend Maka, but for Novo's goal yesterday - with which we were directly in line, firstly he should have come out at speed and early, but, having stayed, his positioning was appalling - five yards out, big gap at near post, I was screaming at him before Novo shot it was so obvious.

Davy Mac
28-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Did anyone else think that both the team and the fans were a little guilty of (stupidly) showboating before the Huns strolled up the park and slammed in four goals?

No, we have got start fighting der hun siege mentality.

Hibs have never bossed the ugly sisters in my lifetime and frankly I'm sick of it. This is a poor Rankers team, the sheep did it under Fergie, DUTD did under Mclean - jeezo even the ****bos had a wee crack at it in 86.

I wouldn't say we are good enough to win the league but the way we capitulated was horrific, I agree the wooing and the waying :greengrin everytime a Hibs player touched the ball after 20 mins was a bit early in the game I don't think any of us saw that coming.

You've got to hand it to the current buns, there comeback was unbelievable and it certainly sets a benchmark that I would like Hibs to aim for.

Jim44
28-12-2009, 10:03 AM

:agree: but by the same token we must win our next game away to St.J. If we lose that we will probably go on to lose to the Jambos. It looks like we are stuck with Makalamby but I would drop Riordan for the ST.J. game as he has become a passenger who has rarely paid his fare recently. I would also swap Benji for Nish.

ChrissyG1875
28-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Well today proved that you can't afford to play like crap and expect anything out of the OF. We may be third in the league but we have rarely ever set the heather on fire in our games. Too many grinds and scraping draws. We are not anywhere near as good as our potential and we have too many passengers. Yogi is getting there but a lot will depend on the business we do in January. I hope the team are smelling the coffee now and don't believe dah hype.

Maka has to go, Deek has to find ways of getting into games as the last couple he has been anonymous. We need better Full Backs, not make do ones. Rankin and Nish should get in the same taxi as Maka and suitable replacements found.

I think this is a bit unfair. I'm not nish's biggest fan, in fact I used to think he was pish but in the last 5 weeks or so I think he's been one of our best players.

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Lets think about the Stjohnstone game before we even contemplate the Hearts game.

Wednesday night is a massive massive game for us.

Saorsa
28-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Lets think about the Stjohnstone game before we even contemplate the Hearts game.

Wednesday night is a massive massive game for us.:agree: totally. Wednesday is when we'll find out what this team is really made of. Hopefully they be able tae pick themselves up after yesterdays pathetic showing.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
28-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Would like to see that lanky slug Nish benched and Byrne or Benji given a jersey. Unfortunately we'll have to persevere with Maka. The guy was as much use as an oven dressed turkey yesterday, but with Stack out there isn't another option I'd trust.

hibbie02
28-12-2009, 11:13 AM
I think this is a bit unfair. I'm not nish's biggest fan, in fact I used to think he was pish but in the last 5 weeks or so I think he's been one of our best players.

I was pleased when he signed and gave him the benefit when others slated him. However he is in the team to score goals and hold up the ball. Apart from a couple of games a couple of weeks ago, he has not done it. Yesterday he was a waste of a shirt (as was Deek) and did nothing to break up Rangers play immediately outside their box and so the Huns could swarm forward time and again unchallenged. His wee flicks don't work and make him look worse. We would be better off with a proper big striker. Just watch what Boyd did yesterday. He is more than a goal scorer. Just look how he put through Miller for the second.

What's the point? Its all about opinions at the end of the day and Nish is not what we need if we want to go forward.

AJHibby
28-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Get a grip man honestly. We were soundly beaten by a Rangers team who played very well today and is our 1st defeat in 13 games.

I doubt there were many Hibbies that genuinely believed we could be title contenders and I think we can be happy with the position we are in. 4 points clear of 4th ffs and only 4 points off 2nd. Its not too bad. Yes, we haven't been brilliant but how much better off this year are we for football than last year? If anyone, you are the one who was being disillusioned by our position.

Your last paragraph is a total knee jerk reaction because Nish, Maka, the full backs and Riordan have been playing pretty well but were fairly gash yesterday. I personally thought Rankin was 1 of only 2 players with pass marks yesterday and has filled in very well for McBride.

You were clearly expecting too much of this Hibs team and it will take a while for it to gel properly.

truehibernian
28-12-2009, 11:35 AM
You could argue all day about tactics, players not at the races, poor keeping, bad substitutions etc. The simple truth is (and not many people have bit the bullet and said this), Rangers played extremely well and were head and shoulders above every Hibs player "man for man" yesterday. It was simply one of those games where the whole team under performed, including the manager, and Rangers were on top form, pressing every ball, in the face of every Hibs player, and lightning on the counter attack (which we are also very good at on our day). Results like this will help the team though (IMO), as it gives them a kick up the backside and shows those on the bench that their turn may come. The unbeaten run comes to an end, but I'd rather it came against a very good Rangers team performance, than against a weaker Saints or worse Hearts at home. The players will now have to get the heads up and work hard to lift their game. My only real criticism yesterday was Yogi's performance. Having a player, especially a goalkeeper, carrying a tweaked hamstring injury is rather like playing with a goalkeeper in a plaster cast. Not only will the injury worsen, the other team will sense the injury, and as in boxing, expose it and target it. Either he did not have full confidence in young Flynn or he suspected Maka was slightly at it. An unfit keeper already low on confidence, getting the bird from the Rangers support, breeds that lack of confidence amongst the players in front of him. Benji made a huge difference when he came on and proved Nish had been ineffectual all game. Galbraith injected a wee bit of urgency, but too late. Riordan, Zemmama and Miller drifted out the game, so Yogi IMO should have made subs sooner, and maybe shored up the midfield with a flat four. Another day of trials and tribs following our beloved Hibs. Onwards and upwards, 3 points and Perth and a sound beating of Hearts. You know it makes sense :agree:

hibbie02
28-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Get a grip man honestly. We were soundly beaten by a Rangers team who played very well today and is our 1st defeat in 13 games.

I doubt there were many Hibbies that genuinely believed we could be title contenders and I think we can be happy with the position we are in. 4 points clear of 4th ffs and only 4 points off 2nd. Its not too bad. Yes, we haven't been brilliant but how much better off this year are we for football than last year? If anyone, you are the one who was being disillusioned by our position.

Your last paragraph is a total knee jerk reaction because Nish, Maka, the full backs and Riordan have been playing pretty well but were fairly gash yesterday. I personally thought Rankin was 1 of only 2 players with pass marks yesterday and has filled in very well for McBride.

You were clearly expecting too much of this Hibs team and it will take a while for it to gel properly.

Naw I have consistently said we are not the finished article and we still need key players in key positions. The difference is that yesterday we were found out. There were several matches in that run of 12 we drew when we could have lost and others we won when we were lucky to do so. That is my point and it is not knee jerk.:bye:

AJHibby
28-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Naw I have consistently said we are not the finished article and we still need key players in key positions. The difference is that yesterday we were found out. There were several matches in that run of 12 we drew when we could have lost and others we won when we were lucky to do so. That is my point and it is not knee jerk.:bye:

That response just makes it seem like you have been sitting on a perch waiting for us to lose and now that we have you can't wait to rip into the team.

So what if we've been a bit lucky? I'll still gladly take the points thank you very much. And anyway as the old saying goes, we make our own luck.

We don't get to the position we were, 11 goals conceded in 16 games and 24 scored, however, by sheer luck, because we have been playing well in patches. Not all the time, but enough to keep me pretty satisfied.

I do agree with your overall point though that we do need new players and we are most definetely not the finished article, but nobody said we were! So quit getting your knickers in a twist because we lost one game.

hibbie02
28-12-2009, 10:50 PM
That response just makes it seem like you have been sitting on a perch waiting for us to lose and now that we have you can't wait to rip into the team.

So what if we've been a bit lucky? I'll still gladly take the points thank you very much. And anyway as the old saying goes, we make our own luck.

We don't get to the position we were, 11 goals conceded in 16 games and 24 scored, however, by sheer luck, because we have been playing well in patches. Not all the time, but enough to keep me pretty satisfied.

I do agree with your overall point though that we do need new players and we are most definetely not the finished article, but nobody said we were! So quit getting your knickers in a twist because we lost one game.

I have certainly not sat on my perch and I have repeatedly stated that we were lucky in the past and I have said it is a poor reflection on the SPL that we were 3rd in late November with such a poor record of wins.

Being lucky is great but it don't last forever. We were found out yesterday and that is my point. Maybe we can get the players in to turn luck into quality and we can all be happy (fat chance). I have underpants older than you and have probably been a Hibby longer than yer Dad. I think I have the right to my views? :cool2:

lEXO
29-12-2009, 01:21 AM
I have certainly not sat on my perch and I have repeatedly stated that we were lucky in the past and I have said it is a poor reflection on the SPL that we were 3rd in late November with such a poor record of wins.

Being lucky is great but it don't last forever. We were found out yesterday and that is my point. Maybe we can get the players in to turn luck into quality and we can all be happy (fat chance). I have underpants older than you and have probably been a Hibby longer than yer Dad. I think I have the right to my views? :cool2:
Pretty patronising reply man.Is age a yard stick to being a better Hibby.I hope not cos i,ve got an 18 year old cousin who i go to every home game with and i can assure you he is as much a Hibby as me (or you).You are rightly entitled to your view, but you dont know him or his dad so your view on him is not valid.As for your underpants, get out and buy some new ones cos 17 year old pants must be manky as a jambo bride by now.:cool2:

mjhibby
29-12-2009, 08:27 AM

I think people are forgetting we were missing our number 1 goalie,first choice lb,our main sitting midfielder and we havent got mccann avialable so we were hardly injury free as some would say.With maka struggling second half we were severely short and yogi has to at least get cover as good as we have got in those positions so we dont feel so weakened again.Cue the usual rumours about players but solid relaible players to fill those positions will be fine as we have the players like riordan,stokes,zemmamma and miller to win games.I also think a few players have been carying knocks through the unbeaten run so the need for cover is obvious.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2009, 08:39 AM

What are you expecting from hibs this season? Found out my arse, lucky my arse. We have a team that was ****in useless last season, a team nobody wanted to watch. A team we were supposed to have a party for if we scored a bloody goal in inverness, as they were as rare as hens teeth.

Now we have a team who compete every week, a team thats playing better than last season, and when its not, its grinding out results. The new man in charge has had 17 games in charge to achieve this, yet he's been found out. What a load of *****. If you cant see progress, you either are blind, or dont want to see it. I will ask again, what were you expecting after last seasons shambles?:confused:

mjhibby
29-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I think the problem has been yogi has achieved so much so quickly within so little time.Had we been say 2 points behind utd and looking like battling for europe then we would have been delighted.We were/are overachieving and have ammassed a great haul of points considering the players at yogis disposal.Yes it does probably mean the spl isnt that great but what does it say when hertz win a game with a penalty and have two shots on goal the whole match and yet that is a good performance.Hibs can only play the team put out against them amd yogi has done great so far.With other non infirm teams having changed managers/underachieving then we are in a fight for 3rd/4th imho and yogi ive no doubt will be doing his legendary duccking and diving in the transfer market.
Given that yogi has only been in charge for half a season it is reasonable to suspect he will improve as a manager of hibs and improve the squad.Also the fact that aberdeen are gash,well and the arabs are managerless and nade is still the main striker at hertz means yogi has some breathing space.One last thing if it wasnt for it being hertz on sunday why are fans worried about the game on sunday.They were unbelievably lucky against celtic and had two shots on goal against falkirk.If we create half the chances celtic did with ten men they surely will be defeated.Just a thought.Rant over.

hibbie02
29-12-2009, 09:59 AM
What are you expecting from hibs this season? Found out my arse, lucky my arse. We have a team that was ****in useless last season, a team nobody wanted to watch. A team we were supposed to have a party for if we scored a bloody goal in inverness, as they were as rare as hens teeth.

Now we have a team who compete every week, a team thats playing better than last season, and when its not, its grinding out results. The new man in charge has had 17 games in charge to achieve this, yet he's been found out. What a load of *****. If you cant see progress, you either are blind, or dont want to see it. I will ask again, what were you expecting after last seasons shambles?:confused:

As I said before I see progress with a better (improved by Yogi) team but they are not yet playing to their potential and they can and will improve under Yogi. I was not saying there has been no progress. I am saying we have had some lucky results and we were shown up by the Hun. If you couldn't see serious lack of commitment in certain players against both Aberdeen and Rangers then you need to watch again. And I never said Yogi has been found out either btw. I have high hopes for the next transfer window and I still think we will end up comfortably third. But I don't see us challenging the OF just yet. We have progressed greatly but even Yogi and the players say they have a lot further to progress and don't get carried away. I am just being realistic here, sorry if that is not good enough.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2009, 10:09 AM
As I said before I see progress with a better (improved by Yogi) team but they are not yet playing to their potential and they can and will improve under Yogi. I was not saying there has been no progress. I am saying we have had some lucky results and we were shown up by the Hun. If you couldn't see serious lack of commitment in certain players against both Aberdeen and Rangers then you need to watch again. And I never said Yogi has been found out either btw. I have high hopes for the next transfer window and I still think we will end up comfortably third. But I don't see us challenging the OF just yet. We have progressed greatly but even Yogi and the players say they have a lot further to progress and don't get carried away. I am just being realistic here, sorry if that is not good enough.

This was your post i quoted, none of what you say above relates to your answer below.

Being lucky is great but it don't last forever. We were found out yesterday and that is my point. Maybe we can get the players in to turn luck into quality and we can all be happy (fat chance). I have underpants older than you and have probably been a Hibby longer than yer Dad. I think I have the right to my views?

hibbie02
29-12-2009, 10:35 AM
This was your post i quoted, none of what you say above relates to your answer below.

Being lucky is great but it don't last forever. We were found out yesterday and that is my point. Maybe we can get the players in to turn luck into quality and we can all be happy (fat chance). I have underpants older than you and have probably been a Hibby longer than yer Dad. I think I have the right to my views?

The post you quote was in answer to a guy who is trying to say I have only just jumped to a conclusion about the team after one game and had implied I was previously perfectly happy about the way we had been playing.

I was saying there had been a number of occasions where we were lucky to get a win or a draw during the 12 match run. I stick by the opinion that we we lucky in some of these games and accept in previous years we would probably have been beaten than get a draw (for example away to St Midden) or lost/drawn (for example at Pittodrie where we were pretty hopeless for most of the game) and won. I say again we have potential (as proved against Motherwell) that we can play at a different level. I think we will improve further with more players and Yogi will find them.

I have been a Hibs fan for over 40 years and have seen the highs and the lows and been through the wringer a few times. I am genuinely excited about what Yogi is doing and your earlier implications about my expectations was out of order. Am I wrong to think this improved squad should maybe be doing better? It is not the same as last year as we have Stack, Spoony, Miller, McBride, Stokes, Zouma, Benji in the squad. To compare with Mixu is spurious.

Dashing Bob S
29-12-2009, 10:40 AM

I can vouch for that, as that's exactly what your Hun ex-girlfriend told me. She says that was why she had to chuck you.

matty_f
29-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I think people are forgetting we were missing our number 1 goalie,first choice lb,our main sitting midfielder and we havent got mccann avialable so we were hardly injury free as some would say.With maka struggling second half we were severely short and yogi has to at least get cover as good as we have got in those positions so we dont feel so weakened again.Cue the usual rumours about players but solid relaible players to fill those positions will be fine as we have the players like riordan,stokes,zemmamma and miller to win games.I also think a few players have been carying knocks through the unbeaten run so the need for cover is obvious.

:top marks for both posts.

I'm surprised at how quick people have been to slate the team, considering the run we've been on, and the fact we faced a Rangers team that had scored 9 goals in their last two games against Motherwell and Dundee Utd.

Rangers deserved their victory, and while it makes winning the league almost impossible, I don't think many on here genuinely thought that we'd do that anyway. Put a challenge in and be close? Certainly. That hasn't changed, IMHO.

Both the OF have lost games this season, and will continue to do so as we will. The important thing is that we take this game in isolation and bounce back from it stronger, starting with a win tomorrow night if the game goes ahead, or failing that a win on Sunday.

We've not all of a sudden become a bad team, we've not all of a sudden become a team with deep-rooted problems, and we've not all of a sudden got a manager that doesn't know how to treat the players.

We got beat by the team at the top of the league. The team that won the league last season. It wasn't nice, but it's not the end of the world.

As BH said, the progress from last season is evident, and far above my expectations. We will continue to progress and hopefully we'll look back on this result as a blip in an otherwise successful season.

lEXO
29-12-2009, 10:48 AM

:agree: You make your own luck sometimes, and this team has.You dont get a 12 game unbeaten run by luck alone.No one likes getting humped at home by anyone never mind the huns,but some will use this result to say i told you so.Pretty sad i think.People were still moaning when we were unbeaten.Now all the moaning and fingerpointing has started in earnest.Some just cant seem to enjoy it when it,s good, and love to say i told you so when it,s not.

3pm
29-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I understand - and agree with a lot of - what Hibbie 02 is saying. :greengrin

lEXO
29-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I understand - and agree with a lot of - what Hibbie 02 is saying. :greengrin
He,s talking pants :greengrin

hibbie02
29-12-2009, 01:18 PM
He,s talking pants :greengrin

Minging pants! :jamboak: