PDA

View Full Version : Full-backs

Hibees07
27-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Sorry if its been mentioned but I thought our full-backs were really poor today, both were beaten easily and looked physically weak. Distribution from both was also dreadful for most of the game.

I know they are young guy's and will have the odd bad game but I would have expected a bit more from them today.

Hanlon for me is needing a loan spell in a lower division to build up his confidence and to get regular match practise.

Surely we could have utilised the more experienced players in the squad to accomodate Ian Murray being out.

During the January transfer window we really need to get players for all the defensive positions, preferably players with a bit more physical presence.

There is no doubt we have some good ball players but when it comes to the games against big physical teams (and we have St.J & Hearts next) we really need a powerful back line.:agree:

Littlest Hobo
27-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry if its been mentioned but I thought our full-backs were really poor today, both were beaten easily and looked physically weak. Distribution from both was also dreadful for most of the game.

I know they are young guy's and will have the odd bad game but I would have expected a bit more from them today.

Hanlon for me is needing a loan spell in a lower division to build up his confidence and to get regular match practise.

Surely we could have utilised the more experienced players in the squad to accomodate Ian Murray being out.

During the January transfer window we really need to get players for all the defensive positions, preferably players with a bit more physical presence.

There is no doubt we have some good ball players but when it comes to the games against big physical teams (and we have St.J & Hearts next) we really need a powerful back line.:agree:

I agree with you about Hanlon, although if he was given a decent run in the side then he may improve?

As for Wotherspoon, he's wasted at right back. We would be a far better team with him coming on as a sub for maybe the last half hour of games on the right wing. Great wee player with a big futuure ahead of him in the game.

GreenCastle
27-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Thought Hanlon did ok today - considering he didn't get much help from Deek coming back.

Ian Murray has been tremendous there all season though and we were spoilt when we used to have David Murphy.

Wotherspoon isn't a right back and I agree we want him in midfield....but what then happens with Zemmama ?

I think we do need more of a physical presence in the side - Rankin and Miller too lightweight together in the middle.

EasterRoad4Ever
27-12-2009, 05:40 PM

:agree: was really surprised by how poor Wotherspoon was. Passing was dire to say the least and was too easily beat at times. Can only put that down to pressure of the big game. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a few like Scotty Brown who actually relish the big matches and fears no one ?

Andy74
27-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't get the clamour for hanlon to be in the team. Imagine him at centre half! We are very poor at both full back positions, Murray apart. We'll get there though.

GlesgaeHibby
27-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Thought Hanlon did ok today - considering he didn't get much help from Deek coming back.

Ian Murray has been tremendous there all season though and we were spoilt when we used to have David Murphy.

Wotherspoon isn't a right back and I agree we want him in midfield....but what then happens with Zemmama ?

I think we do need more of a physical presence in the side - Rankin and Miller too lightweight together in the middle.

Stack
McCormack Hogg Bamba Murray
Wotherspoon McBride Miller Riordan
Zemmama
Stokes

Would be a pretty decent team. Solid enough back four, Zemmama is better through the middle and it allows Wotherspoon to play his natural position.

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I think this a major problem for us. PH and DW are both talented young footballers who deserve a run, but neither are natural full-backs. We can busk this against the clubs below us, but run the risk of being exposed against Rantic.

Yogi likes to play with attacking wing backs and somebody who can play these roles will provide the width to let the likes of Riordan and Zemmama get more into the game. Changes need methinks.