PDA

View Full Version : Big Sol

camthebam
27-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Looked * imperious to me today.

Sounds a bit bizarre when we lost four but I think that horrible *******s got one helluva lot of breaks today.

But big Sol looked unbeatable to me. He lost it a couple of times but totally redeemed himself by winning it back immediately. Pure class.

He'll be a big miss now that he's off to the ANs.

And I guarantee he'll be an EPL player by 2010/11.

Hats off to the big guy.

lucky
27-12-2009, 01:34 PM
He was Hibs best player and will be a big miss. He is getting to big for Hibs and its a cert he is of to the EPL byy next season. I hope he has good ANC for RP to max his price. He is the only decent thing Mixup did at Hibs on the player front

Alex Trager
27-12-2009, 01:56 PM
man-- what a legend was supreme today....btw stokes' goal today fastest in spl history , not that it was much use .. it was like watching old georgy

BEEJ
27-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Looked * imperious to me today.

He'll be a big miss now that he's off to the ANs.

And I guarantee he'll be an EPL player by 2010/11.

Hats off to the big guy.

He was Hibs best player and will be a big miss. He is getting to big for Hibs and its a cert he is of to the EPL byy next season. I hope he has good ANC for RP to max his price.
:agree: He played well today.

I fear that was his last game for Hibs

GloryGlory
27-12-2009, 02:04 PM
He was Hibs best player and will be a big miss. He is getting to big for Hibs and its a cert he is of to the EPL byy next season. I hope he has good ANC for RP to max his price. He is the only decent thing Mixup did at Hibs on the player front

Deeks? Murray? :devil:

GloryGlory
27-12-2009, 02:05 PM
:agree: He played well today.

I fear that was his last game for Hibs

Could be, 'cos I don't think he went around throwing his jersey into the crowd or walked around the pitch applauding the fans. :wink: :wink:

whereswallace?
27-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Listening to the radio after the game,whoever was talking said that after Maka,Bamba was our worst player today! Sometimes i wonder what games these so called experts watch.

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I have said it before, i started watching Hibs in the late 60s, and big Sol is the best centre half i have seen in a hibs shirt.:thumbsup:

camthebam
27-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I've heard he'll be back for the title charge :wink:

Bob Box Fish
27-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Personally I thought he was poor today. He got caught out of position on too many occassions and gave Riordan a terrible pass for their second goal.

Onceinawhile
27-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Personally I thought he was poor today. He got caught out of position on too many occassions and gave Riordan a terrible pass for their second goal.

Riordan had plenty time on the ball. He messed it up, not big sol.

The_Sauz
27-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I have said it before, i started watching Hibs in the late 60s, and big Sol is the best centre half i have seen in a hibs shirt.:thumbsup:
What I can't get is, how come he can dribble past the other teams players with ease, yet the rest of the team can't? :bitchy:
Like BH say's....Best CH hibs have had for 30 years :agree:

Bob Box Fish
27-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Riordan had plenty time on the ball. He messed it up, not big sol.

You teach 5 year olds if in doubt launch it up the park. Riordan had two men next to him.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I thought Bamab was average today. Some decent tackles and a few good runs and passes. But should have just hoofed it, Jambo styleee, for the 2nd goal and also lost out to Boyd and Miller a lot in the air today unusually and insisted on letting the ball bounce when there was no need to do so.

sleeping giant
27-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Where was he for Gers 2nd ?

I am just back and have not seen any replays but it looked like their 2nd was scored from where he should have been !

It was also a slack pass from Liam Miller that set up that goal.

random sub
27-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I thought Bamab was average today. Some decent tackles and a few good runs and passes. But should have just hoofed it, Jambo styleee, for the 2nd goal and also lost out to Boyd and Miller a lot in the air today unusually and insisted on letting the ball bounce when there was no need to do so.

Must have been watching a different game. Sol was fantastic and more Riordan's fault for the second goal. Sol had found a Hibs jersey.....anyway, I think by the way he was blowing kisses to the crowd at the end, he is off:boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
27-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Must have been watching a different game. Sol was fantastic and more Riordan's fault for the second goal. Sol had found a Hibs jersey.....anyway, I think by the way he was blowing kisses to the crowd at the end, he is off:boo hoo:

Not saying Riordan was blameless far from it but when a player has 2 men around him giving him the ball to feet 25 yards from your own goal isn't advisable.

He was still Hibs best player by a distance though but nothing like his best.

crash
27-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Where was he for Gers 2nd ?

I am just back and have not seen any replays but it looked like their 2nd was scored from where he should have been !

It was also a slack pass from Liam Miller that set up that goal.

Hogg was meant to be marking Miller for the first goal, and Boyd for the second. On both occasions they left him for dead with predictable results.

down-the-slope
27-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Sol was poor by recent games. Riorden pass putting him in trouble resulting in goal..should have been out the pitch. Out of position on a couple of occasions leaving Hanlon 2v1. Caught very easily for 4th with Miller making him look slow. Gave Maka 3 pass backs in stupid positions after it was obvious his injury had reduced kicking

Better than most today but far from great.

NOLA
27-12-2009, 04:40 PM
are dunfermline due a percentage from sols next transfer?

HibbyAndy
27-12-2009, 04:43 PM
are dunfermline due a percentage from sols next transfer?

You better believe they are.

Hibby 2005
27-12-2009, 05:19 PM
As somebody pointed out earlier, Hogg was caught out for both of Rangers first 2 goals. Bamba will be missed big time.

fife hfc
27-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I thought bamba was solid today and is a fantastic player. One mistake I can see is the stupid pass to deek but made up for it with a number of crucial interceptions. he will be one hell of a miss over the next few weeks:boo hoo:

Oh and for all those having a go at him for putting IC before us:asshole: Too many on here ready to have a go at his comitment. Well if everybody else had his attitude we would have won today.

Speedy
28-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Sol was poor by recent games. Riorden pass putting him in trouble resulting in goal..should have been out the pitch. Out of position on a couple of occasions leaving Hanlon 2v1. Caught very easily for 4th with Miller making him look slow. Gave Maka 3 pass backs in stupid positions after it was obvious his injury had reduced kicking

Better than most today but far from great.

The passes to Maka were particularly annoying and he should have hoofed the ball away for the second goal rather than passing to a striker who was pretty much in the left back area at the time.

Regina Phalange
28-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Not sure what game most people were watching to be honest. It's great when Bamba drifts past players and drives forward, and physically he has a lot of strings to his bow, but he was just as culpable as the rest of the back 4 and keeper (and the rest of the side for that matter) in what was a shocking defensive display. If it wasn't for the fact that he is flavour of the month while the likes of Maka and Hogg are common scapegoats he would take his share of the flack.

1st goal Miller obviously the main cause, shocking pass under no pressure. Hogg and Bamba were sleeping and caught out by the pace of the attack. Miller was Hogg's man, but he was in an offside position until Bamba dropped back, misreading Boyd's intention and allowing him to slip in Miller. This meant Hogg had to try and recover his position but he was miles away. Miller obviously takes the brunt though.

2nd goal Bamba takes it off Hogg's feet, when Hogg was about to empty, and plays it into Riordan's feet. Nothing wrong with the pass but it was the wrong option, Riordan could also have emptied but gets caught on the ball. Bamba is then slow to get across to try and stop the cross. Similar to the first goal Hogg isn't tight to his man, who is again the eventual goalscorer, but Boyd is in an offside position if the line was in position. Wotherspoon is lazy pushing out from his post and forces Hogg to try and recover but again it is a lost cause. Bamba the main culprit for this one, but Riordan, Wotherspoon and Hogg take their share.

3rd goal is the one most of the discussion has been around, and it stems from Bamba stepping out to clear a long ball and failing to deal with it. He wins the header but instead of it landing 30 yards up the park it hits a Hibs player 10 yards away and bounces loose. An element of bad luck to it but he should have put that header safe. He is now stranded in midfield. Wotherspoon comes inside to cover for him, a little naive with his positioning and commits to a man too early, and Novo is slipped in wide with Hogg having to move across.

Bamba is still trying to get back into a decent defensive position, but doesn't get goal side of Boyd, leaving him free in the six yard box. Maka makes a move to intercept the cross in front of Boyd and gets beat at his near post by a fluke from ratface. Makalambay obviously is badly at fault there, but if Bamba got into a better position (he wasn't jogging back but he wasn't busting a gut either) or Wotherspoon had held his position earlier in the move allowing Hogg to take Boyd, Maka probably wouldn't have made the move. In the first instance Bamba should have put his header safe - you can't step out of your line and not deal with it.

4th goal is very similar to the first, another bad pass from Miller under no pressure and the centre backs caught sleeping. This time its Hogg behind the line and Bamba's man. Any discussion of defensive line is tough without knowing who is responsible for controlling the line but I would suggest as Hogg is captain Bamba will probably be taking his line from him. Either way he lets Miller run off him. Makalambay should probably save but injury may have hampered his speed in getting down.

If anyone has a different take on the goals I'd love to hear it, but I can't see how Bamba was Hibs MotM or worthy of a 7+ rating in the match thread while the rest of the defence and Maka are being slaughtered. He was poor and had a hand in a lot of what went wrong.

Expecting Rain
28-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Not sure what game most people were watching to be honest. It's great when Bamba drifts past players and drives forward, and physically he has a lot of strings to his bow, but he was just as culpable as the rest of the back 4 and keeper (and the rest of the side for that matter) in what was a shocking defensive display. If it wasn't for the fact that he is flavour of the month while the likes of Maka and Hogg are common scapegoats he would take his share of the flack.

1st goal Miller obviously the main cause, shocking pass under no pressure. Hogg and Bamba were sleeping and caught out by the pace of the attack. Miller was Hogg's man, but he was in an offside position until Bamba dropped back, misreading Boyd's intention and allowing him to slip in Miller. This meant Hogg had to try and recover his position but he was miles away. Miller obviously takes the brunt though.

2nd goal Bamba takes it off Hogg's feet, when Hogg was about to empty, and plays it into Riordan's feet. Nothing wrong with the pass but it was the wrong option, Riordan could also have emptied but gets caught on the ball. Bamba is then slow to get across to try and stop the cross. Similar to the first goal Hogg isn't tight to his man, who is again the eventual goalscorer, but Boyd is in an offside position if the line was in position. Wotherspoon is lazy pushing out from his post and forces Hogg to try and recover but again it is a lost cause. Bamba the main culprit for this one, but Riordan, Wotherspoon and Hogg take their share.

3rd goal is the one most of the discussion has been around, and it stems from Bamba stepping out to clear a long ball and failing to deal with it. He wins the header but instead of it landing 30 yards up the park it hits a Hibs player 10 yards away and bounces loose. An element of bad luck to it but he should have put that header safe. He is now stranded in midfield. Wotherspoon comes inside to cover for him, a little naive with his positioning and commits to a man too early, and Novo is slipped in wide with Hogg having to move across.

Bamba is still trying to get back into a decent defensive position, but doesn't get goal side of Boyd, leaving him free in the six yard box. Maka makes a move to intercept the cross in front of Boyd and gets beat at his near post by a fluke from ratface. Makalambay obviously is badly at fault there, but if Bamba got into a better position (he wasn't jogging back but he wasn't busting a gut either) or Wotherspoon had held his position earlier in the move allowing Hogg to take Boyd, Maka probably wouldn't have made the move. In the first instance Bamba should have put his header safe - you can't step out of your line and not deal with it.

4th goal is very similar to the first, another bad pass from Miller under no pressure and the centre backs caught sleeping. This time its Hogg behind the line and Bamba's man. Any discussion of defensive line is tough without knowing who is responsible for controlling the line but I would suggest as Hogg is captain Bamba will probably be taking his line from him. Either way he lets Miller run off him. Makalambay should probably save but injury may have hampered his speed in getting down.

If anyone has a different take on the goals I'd love to hear it, but I can't see how Bamba was Hibs MotM or worthy of a 7+ rating in the match thread while the rest of the defence and Maka are being slaughtered. He was poor and had a hand in a lot of what went wrong.

Bamba reminded me of the times when Rob Jones had to play eveybody elses game instead of being allowed to focus on his own.

MussyHibby
28-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Bamba is quality, no doubt about it.......................and I told him last week at the training centre, best Hibs player this season for me.

Hibbyradge
28-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I thought he was immense yesterday.

He's strong, fast, he can tackle and opposision players are afraid of him.

He must be worth a fortune.

I hope we bring in a couple of players who can tackle, by the way. Bamba and Murray are about the only players we've got who have a real physical presense, although Miller uses his upper body well.

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 01:00 PM
2M playing for Hibs.

5M playing for either of the uglys.

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Whatever a big club is willing to pay. Scott Brown type money I would have thought, if not more.

Hibby Kay-Yay
28-12-2009, 01:03 PM
2M playing for Hibs.

Would you have valued Gordon at £10m?

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Bare in mind tho Hearts were going all out for the qaudruple at the time.

Hibby Kay-Yay
28-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Bare in mind tho Hearts were going all out for the qaudruple at the time.

That's true, and they were real champions league contenders aswell. I'm surprised that they only got £10m come to think of it :wink:

ronaldo7
28-12-2009, 01:08 PM
3.5 to 4 million from a premiership club

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 01:08 PM
That's true, and they were real champions league contenders aswell. I'm surprised that they only got £10m come to think of it :wink:

Exactly :greengrin

In the end the qaudruple actually became em, um, nowt.:cool2:

Jim44
28-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Remember 'tho that we will only get 60% of the selling price.

Landells
28-12-2009, 01:11 PM

I still dont :greengrin

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Remember 'tho that we will only get 60% of the selling price.

Aye i remember big Jim Leishman saying when he signed for Hibs, Dunfy would get a good sell on clause as he knew big Bamba had the potential to further his career.

Antifa Hibs
28-12-2009, 01:19 PM
If the likes of Paul McShane and Titus Bramble are still EPL regulars Bamba should be able to walk into the premier league.

Take my hat of to Mixu for that. £50,000 player, sell him for anything between £2-3m, good bit business that!

H18sry
28-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I think his price will depend on how well he does in the AN tourney.

Hibbyradge
28-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I think his price will depend on how well he does in the AN tourney.

I wouldn't be surprised if a deal has already been concluded.

He waved goodbye to the fans after the game again, yesterday.

Or so I'm told.

H18sry
28-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Or so I'm told.

did you leave early D so you missed it :greengrin

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Or so I'm told.

He did, but it could have been just 'goodbye till February':confused: Or maybe im just hopelessly optimistic.

Hibbyradge
28-12-2009, 01:49 PM
did you leave early D so you missed it :greengrin

Yep. My 2 mates decided to go for a beer after the 4th goal and I haven't got a mind of my own. :wink:

ronaldo7
28-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Yep. My 2 mates decided to go for a beer after the 4th goal and I haven't got a mind of my own. :wink:

You missed the kick off too if i recall:greengrin

hibee-shtuggie
28-12-2009, 01:56 PM
i'm not sure if 3.5m to 4m is a wee bit optimistic. i do firmly believe though that if he was at either of the ugly's or already down south that figure(or perhaps even higher) would be extremely achievable. i think a more realistic figure would be somewhere between 2-2.5M of which we would get 60%. giving us 1.5M and dunfermline a tidy 1M(thats unbelievable for them). so for mixus 50,000, we would be getting 1.5M! at least mixu left some sort of legacy at hibs...in the form of big Sol Bamba :agree:

Hibbyradge
28-12-2009, 01:57 PM
You missed the kick off too if i recall:greengrin

:agree:

I was waiting to buy my breakfast in the slowest pie queue in the world. :rolleyes:

Saw the goal on the TV.

iwasthere1972
28-12-2009, 02:01 PM
No less than £4 million with a sell on clause. If Man City come a knocking then add on another £10 million - they can afford it.

After all they paid £30 million for Robinho. :faf: :faf:

bobbyhibs1983
28-12-2009, 02:25 PM
No less than £4 million with a sell on clause. If Man City come a knocking then add on another £10 million - they can afford it.

After all they paid £30 million for Robinho. :faf: :faf:

Is that you Mr Petrie?

Only joking mate, sounds good though, I would sorta be happy if we got in the 3-4 mil bracket, would want him to stay though but if the ugly sisters come calling, it should be, "20million in cash, if not f----, off"

HibbyKeith
28-12-2009, 02:26 PM
2M playing for Hibs.

Based on previous player sales think hes worth a bit more than that.

if steven whittaker was worth £2m big sol's a £5m player :wink: