PDA

View Full Version : Maka weekly thread (Huns game this time)

Pages : 1 [2]

HONG KONG PHOOEY
27-12-2009, 08:04 PM
I have not read this thread, and like Maka. But that is the worst goal keeper I have ever seen. Three goals were his "assists" he has to go !!!!

erskine-hibby
27-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Maka, IMHO, can look a very decent goalkeeper at times....BUT, he seems to lack what make a decent looking goalkeeper an actual good goalkeeper and that is the basics. His positioning for the 1st and the 3rd goal was suspect in the least, infact his positioning in general is weak, he has an ability to make an easy catch into a difficult one and his distribution is, in general, pish.

Hibs Spain
27-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I've not been on the AV forums to check but if they're not complaining about it it's likely that it's being seen as a one-off, which isn't the case here - which I think we're now all agreed on.You really should have gone into politics.You know exactly what I was alluding to :wink:

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Flynn should have been brought on at half time as Maka had an obvious injury which directly resulted in the 3rd goal and probably the 4th one as well. What's the point in having a reserve goalie on the bench when the one on the park is obviously ****ed. :confused:

I'm not Maka's greatest fan, but he was obviously injured and shouldn't have continued if injured, regardless of Flynn's inexperience

GreenCastle
27-12-2009, 08:27 PM
So will Maka still be injured by Wednesday night ?

Will Yogi ever play him again ?

Will Stack be fit for Wednesday?

Will Flynn be given his debut ?

So many questions... :greengrin

HONG KONG PHOOEY
27-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Flynn should have been brought on at half time as Maka had an obvious injury which directly resulted in the 3rd goal and probably the 4th one as well. What's the point in having a reserve goalie on the bench when the one on the park is obviously ****ed. :confused:

I'm not Maka's greatest fan, but he was obviously injured and shouldn't have continued if injured, regardless of Flynn's inexperience

Surely the "keeper" should tell the manager if he is not fit. But there again Maka is not a"Keeper"

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Surely the "keeper" should tell the manager if he is not fit. But there again Maka is not a"Keeper"

If Stack had been on the bench, he would have been brought on in place of Maka, that I have no doubt.

I think Hughes has doubts about Flynn's ability to be pitched into such a huge game against the Huns, that's a bit worrying with both of our goalkeepers carrying injuries going into such an important part of our season.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
27-12-2009, 08:39 PM
If Stack had been on the bench, he would have been brought on in place of Maka, that I have no doubt.

I think Hughes has doubts about Flynn's ability to be pitched into such a huge game against the Huns, that's a bit worrying with both of our goalkeepers carrying injuries going into such an important part of our season.

I agree that a Young keeper maybe a problem. But no more a problem than the clown that is our "keeper" today surely ?

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree that a Young keeper maybe a problem. But no more a problem than the clown that is our "keeper" today surely ?

I agree with you. :agree::greengrin Flynn should have been in goals in the 2nd half.

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2009, 09:22 PM
this guy really needs to get as far away from er as yogi can boot him wat a pile of s***e he is i will be so so happy when yogi kicks him out i really cant wait till stack is back the only reason he is not being subbed is due to the lack of games flynn has had i mean how s***emust your keeper be when the dirty unwashed applaud him when he comes out for the second half this keeper is a bomb scare and he is going to cost us many many points this season he makes the whole defence nervous i will stop my rant now think i have got my point accross

All this posted whilst you were not at the game, very good..... What about apportioning some of the blame with the Manager, who watched that debacle, and done the square root of nowt, about it???

HONG KONG PHOOEY
27-12-2009, 09:27 PM
All this posted whilst you were not at the game, very good..... What about apportioning some of the blame with the Manager, who watched that debacle, and done the square root of nowt, about it???

What difference does it make if u are at the game or not ? The TV showed where we are lacking and we all know it !!!! p.s I was at the game and still think the same.

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2009, 09:35 PM
What difference does it make if u are at the game or not ? The TV showed where we are lacking and we all know it !!!! p.s I was at the game and still think the same.

I hate seeing threads during game slating players...... Supporter's ma bahookie.........

HONG KONG PHOOEY
27-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I hate seeing threads during game slating players...... Supporter's ma bahookie.........

But surely we are allowed a voice ? At the end of the day we all know the keeper is to blame !!!!!!

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2009, 09:43 PM
But surely we are allowed a voice ? At the end of the day we all know the keeper is to blame !!!!!!

So Maka was the only one at fault Today was he???

Ed De Gramo
27-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Very true :agree:

Too many passengers and the defence weren't at their best today...yet Maka becomes public enemy number 1 (or is that 50 :wink:)

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Very true :agree:

Too many passengers and the defence weren't at their best today...yet Maka becomes public enemy number 1 (or is that 50 :wink:)

Maka was poor but other players were equally as poor, and never get the same attention, Mr Riordan springs to mind here......:wink:

Hibs Spain
27-12-2009, 09:46 PM
What difference does it make if u are at the game or not ? The TV showed where we are lacking and we all know it !!!! p.s I was at the game and still think the same.makes a huge difference if you're at the game..You see what's going on all over the pitch.

Ed De Gramo
27-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Maka was poor but other players were equally as poor, and never get the same attention, Mr Riordan springs to mind here......:wink:

The Derek Riordan Appreciation Society would never allow that to happen :greengrin

Fantic
27-12-2009, 09:51 PM
this guy really needs to get as far away from er as yogi can boot him wat a pile of s***e he is i will be so so happy when yogi kicks him out i really cant wait till stack is back the only reason he is not being subbed is due to the lack of games flynn has had i mean how s***emust your keeper be when the dirty unwashed applaud him when he comes out for the second half this keeper is a bomb scare and he is going to cost us many many points this season he makes the whole defence nervous i will stop my rant now think i have got my point accross

:agree: Sums it up. Maka out!

Hibs Spain
27-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Not in the East then?No but I was there a couple of years ago with a friend.The gantry and I was in the last row at the back..

HONG KONG PHOOEY
27-12-2009, 09:54 PM
No he was not. The first 2 goals were our fault - but Millers goal was a possible save, Novo's "GOAL" was his fault. And Millers last was a easy stop but he had a weak stop at it. Maybe a harsh summing up but but would you you except our keeper to keep they 3 goals out ?

Baldy Foghorn
27-12-2009, 09:57 PM
No he was not. The first 2 goals were our fault - but Millers goal was a possible save, Novo's "GOAL" was his fault. And Millers last was a easy stop but he had a weak stop at it. Maybe a harsh summing up but but would you you except our keeper to keep they 3 goals out ?

Indeed, but equally you can lay blame at Liam Miller at goal 1, and Bamba and Riordan at 2........

Broken Gnome
27-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Indeed, but equally you can lay blame at Liam Miller at goal 1, and Bamba and Riordan at 2........ but one player is arguably a constant in conceding three goals, hence the bigger issue. I'd always imagine a keeper would be his own worst critic when looking back on the goals he concedes; anyone think maka would be satisfied with his performance today? those were errors that were scarily similar to ones he was making two years ago..

Hibs Spain
27-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I've been in the F5 for a couple of years, stopped going for a couple of seasons but in the East now, jeez it takes me back to standing there against the crush barriers after they reduced the height.
Obviously didn't have the RSJ's theneveryone was standing on the seats.It was the derby game when Gordon saved a Jones' header in the last minute

Jamesie
27-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Tbh, wouldn't be surprised if he's just choking under the pressure and feigning injury.

He arguably did the same at Tynecastle.

millarco
27-12-2009, 10:42 PM
He arguably did the same at Tynecastle.

When?

Toaods
27-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Feigning injury.? Rubbish. The only bottle I raw crash was Yogi putting Flynn on at halftime. Once again dwelt over the bleeding obvious.

Big Frank
27-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Feigning injury.? Rubbish. The only bottle I raw crash was Yogi putting Flynn on at halftime. Once again dwelt over the bleeding obvious.

What was his "injury" toaods? He kicked a good few times after he originally "pulled up".

You think that the Hibernian manager would seriously play an injured player. A
move which could cause serious damage to that player?

You honestly think this?

Maka did the same at ER when the yams turned us over.

GreenPJ
27-12-2009, 11:05 PM
First goal was down to Liam Miller, second goal was down to deek. The other two are the goalkeeper although I do think that injury and poor defending particularly the Novo goal were to blame. Maka knew he had a bad game and prob did not want to be there as he know everyone wants to have a pop.

I blame the midfield and Yogi for our defeat today and sadly fair play to Walter Smith to playing us to our weaknesses.

millarco
27-12-2009, 11:09 PM
What was his "injury" toaods? He kicked a good few times after he originally "pulled up".

You think that the Hibernian manager would seriously play an injured player. A
move which could cause serious damage to that player?

You honestly think this?

Maka did the same at ER when the yams turned us over.

He then missed the next 4 games through injury. Quite a long time to feign an injury, especially when Szamotulski had just come in and he'd be looking to hold onto his place. He had a shocker today, but to say he was feigning an injury is very disrespectful to Maka's character and professionalism.

Big Frank
27-12-2009, 11:24 PM
He then missed the next 4 games through injury. Quite a long time to feign an injury, especially when Szamotulski had just come in and he'd be looking to hold onto his place. He had a shocker today, but to say he was feigning an injury is very disrespectful to Maka's character and professionalism.

I didnae once say anyone feigned anthything pal.

I asked toaods if he honestly thought that the Hibernian manager would tell an injured player to go back out and play. That could ruin a players career. Its a bit far fetched is it not?

What we are saying is that a Hibernian player told our manager that he was injured. Our Dr/physio would have checked him over, and if he's agreed with the player, our manager would have overridden both them?

I also pointed out to toaods that maka once had a shocker against the yams and again took an injury.

You know for a fact that he didn't play for 4 games because of an injury, rather than being dropped. But i digress. The Hibernian manager didnae send out a keeper who was injury. It just doesn't ring true.

With all due respect thats nothing short of bollox

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I blame the goalkeeping coach, Marshall must go.

Big Frank
27-12-2009, 11:32 PM

:agree:

:greengrin

millarco
27-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I didnae once say anyone feigned anthything pal.

I asked toaods if he honestly thought that the Hibernian manager would tell an injured player to go back out and play. That could ruin a players career. Its a bit far fetched is it not?

What we are saying is that a Hibernian player told our manager that he was injured. Our Dr/physio would have checked him over, and if he's agreed with the player, our manager would have overridden both them?

I also pointed out to toaods that maka once had a shocker against the yams and again took an injury.

You know for a fact that he didn't play for 4 games because of an injury, rather than being dropped. But i digress. The Hibernian manager didnae send out a keeper who was injury. It just doesn't ring true.

With all due respect thats nothing short of bollox

Yogi has said that Maka tweaked his hamstring in the first half, but he said he would play through it even though he couldn't kick through it. Hughes also talked of his reservations about putting Flynn in for his debut in such a big game, so I think he wanted to avoid that if at all possible. Maka quite clearly wasn't 100% for about an hour or so of the game today; if you're saying he wasn't injured then surely you're saying that he was faking the limping and the inability to kick the ball?

Players play through the pain barrier when they're not fit all the time, and a manager will take the risk if he thinks it's worth it-just look at Fabregas today. I think Hughes took that risk by agreeing to carry on with Maka, despite the fact that he was struggling. Not too far-fetched IMO. Sometimes the manager needs to overrule the player, but it was blatantly obvious he didn't want to bring on Flynn.

And I do know for a fact that he was injured during the Hearts game. Besides, anyone at the game would have seen the pain etched on his face when he was coming off. That's why he replaced McNeil on the bench when he regained fitness. Like any professional Maka is desperate to play every week, I don't see why he would falsely claim to be injured.

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2009, 11:44 PM

No really, he has to go. Maka will not improve without a proper coach, we need someone who is better than Marshall.

Big Frank
27-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Yogi has said that Maka tweaked his hamstring in the first half, but he said he would play through it even though he couldn't kick through it. Hughes also talked of his reservations about putting Flynn in for his debut in such a big game, so I think he wanted to avoid that if at all possible. Maka quite clearly wasn't 100% for about an hour or so of the game today; if you're saying he wasn't injured then surely you're saying that he was faking the limping and the inability to kick the ball?

Players play through the pain barrier when they're not fit all the time, and a manager will take the risk if he thinks it's worth it-just look at Fabregas today. I think Hughes took that risk by agreeing to carry on with Maka, despite the fact that he was struggling. Not too far-fetched IMO. Sometimes the manager needs to overrule the player, but it was blatantly obvious he didn't want to bring on Flynn.

So, at the end of the day - our keeper was fit to play.

Anyway whats the "injury" got to do with him being guff today? It affected
his positioning:faf: It affected his "firm wrists":faf:, thought so:rolleyes:

millarco
27-12-2009, 11:58 PM
So, at the end of the day - our keeper was fit to play.

Anyway whats the "injury" got to do with him being guff today? It affected
his positioning:faf: It affected his "firm wrists":faf:, thought so:rolleyes:

It's debatable whether he was fit to play or not, I'm pretty sure if we had a more experienced keeper on the bench then he would have come on. Yogi and Maka took the risk, and it didn't pay off.

I've already said he had a shocker, it's hard to defend him for the Novo's goal. Having said that, it obviously affected his distribution, and probably his movement as well. Having Hanlon taking the bye-kicks also affected the way the way we were set up, and killed any chance of getting the ball moving quickly.

His injury certainly had nothing to do Miller's terrible distribution, Riordan gifting the 2nd and generally being a waste of a jersey, a lack of movement up front or full-backs who seemed lost. It was a terrible team performance (including the management), with only Bamba getting pass marks from me. Our problems were a lot greater than just Maka.

Jones28
28-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Tbh, wouldn't be surprised if he's just choking under the pressure and feigning injury.

Funnily enough, same thing happened against Hearts in the Scottish cup :agree:

davym7062
28-12-2009, 12:03 AM
the sooner stack is fit the better. the 3rd and 4th were shockers imo

Pretty Boy
28-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Am i the only one who thinks the fact this thread has gone to 9 pages says it all about the clown?

The only thread that has gone to 9 pages about Stack is the one that asked if he was Yogis best signing.

That says it all, for all his backers please take your head out the sand, if we are serious about European football next season we need better than this useless waste of space.

Cabbage1875
28-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Aye its all ****ing Marshall's fault, just as it was when he was originally making the SAME mistakes as he is now. When will this big idiot learn?

How folk can stick by him beggars belief for me.

Cabbage1875
28-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Am i the only one who thinks the fact this thread has gone to 9 pages says it all about the clown?

The only thread that has gone to 9 pages about Stack is the one that asked if he was Yogis best signing.

That says it all, for all his backers please take your head out the sand, if we are serious about European football next season we need better than this useless waste of space.
:top marks Spot on. People need to see the damage this clown is doing to our team.

Captain Trips
28-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Yesterday showed up our problems in 90mins. If I were the Hibs keeper I would not have much confidence in my defence, yesterday the back players were posted AWOL when it counted, now add that if you were a defender I wouldnt feel confident if I made a mistake Maka would save me.

First thing is replace keeper and we have tried that, pity stack is injured. I would then be taking serious look at the defence as a whole.

We threw goals into the net yesterday from more than just Maka, however with the nature of goalkeeping I wouldnt mind not seeing Maka in goals again.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2009, 08:44 AM

Bring back Marshall, obviously wasnae his fault :duck:

HFC 0-7
28-12-2009, 09:10 AM
It's debatable whether he was fit to play or not, I'm pretty sure if we had a more experienced keeper on the bench then he would have come on. Yogi and Maka took the risk, and it didn't pay off.

I've already said he had a shocker, it's hard to defend him for the Novo's goal. Having said that, it obviously affected his distribution, and probably his movement as well. Having Hanlon taking the bye-kicks also affected the way the way we were set up, and killed any chance of getting the ball moving quickly.

His injury certainly had nothing to do Miller's terrible distribution, Riordan gifting the 2nd and generally being a waste of a jersey, a lack of movement up front or full-backs who seemed lost. It was a terrible team performance (including the management), with only Bamba getting pass marks from me. Our problems were a lot greater than just Maka.

You say that Miller and Riordan gifted goals, however, if you look at where they lost the ball you would expect the team to have done something about it before it got near the goals. Riordan and millers mistakes were like Maka's small mistakes in distribution. Maka made the big mistakes in getting beat at near post and not getting a strong hand to the last goal. Yes everyone had an off day today, however, Maka made glaring mistakes and seems like these type keep coming up. Yes, riordan has many an off day, however, he counters it by winning games on his own. Maka doesnt do enough special things to outweigh the bad things he does.

If you look at any good team in the world the always have a solid keeper and solid defence. Up until now, we have had a pretty solid defence, I would say more solid when stack is in goal. Up front we have what any good team has, players with an abundance of talent which can win a game out of anything, but at times they do nothing. look at Man U, they have berbatov who looks lazy, they have had Ronaldo who was huffy and sometimes looked un interested. Outfield players laziness and slackness can be tolerated in football, goalkeepers laziness and slackness cant!

GlesgaeHibby
28-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2009, 09:50 AM
...with the turkey being a little undercooked. No, the blame for that has to rest squarely on the wife's shoulders. Though to be fair, she was distracted by the inane chatter of the mother-in-law. However, enough is enough and am now in the market for wife number four in January.

Leithenhibby
28-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not one for pointing the finger and now that I have watch the highlights many times, I can't help but think that many Hibbies have to realise that this is a team sport. :agree: Win together, Lose together.

We will never get the bonding needed to have a successful team with this kink of bickering and bitching about one player! (keeper).

As I said I have watched the highlights and IF I was going to point a finger it would not be at Maka alone, it has to be said that a keeper is as good as his defence and once again they have let him down.

Losing the ball in the position's that we did was a joke and it cost us big time. Too many players on a day off for my liking, even Sol got sucked in for the 4th, so lets cut some slack and remember it's not about one man in the goal as many of you seem to think.

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 09:51 AM
You not making an honest women out of my ex?

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2009, 09:55 AM
You not making an honest women out of my ex?

'Ex' is it now? How soon they forget! I was right when I told her you were fickle as I left her under the mistletoe at the Tower Bar, deftly moving onto a hen party from Preston.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 09:59 AM
'Ex' is it now? How soon they forget! I was right when I told her you were fickle as I left her under the mistletoe at the Tower Bar, deftly moving onto a hen party from Preston.

Oh yes Bob, she's gone. I can put up with her supporting them, i can put up with her facial hair. I can put up with her lack of hygiene, but the tower bar.:grr:

Littlest Hobo
28-12-2009, 10:20 AM

:faf: That was alway's a belter as far as I was concerned. I can't believe how far some people wil go to deflect blame. :greengrin

H18sry
28-12-2009, 10:23 AM
:faf: That was alway's a belter as far as I was concerned. I can't believe how far some people wil go to deflect blame. :greengrin

as opposed to deflect the ball wide :devil:

Golden Bear
28-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Aye - it was all Rob Jones's fault you know - he used to bully the wee lamb.

HFC 0-7
28-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not one for pointing the finger and now that I have watch the highlights many times, I can't help but think that many Hibbies have to realise that this is a team sport. :agree: Win together, Lose together.

We will never get the bonding needed to have a successful team with this kink of bickering and bitching about one player! (keeper).

As I said I have watched the highlights and IF I was going to point a finger it would not be at Maka alone, it has to be said that a keeper is as good as his defence and once again they have let him down.

Losing the ball in the position's that we did was a joke and it cost us big time. Too many players on a day off for my liking, even Sol got sucked in for the 4th, so lets cut some slack and remember it's not about one man in the goal as many of you seem to think.

GGTTH

Remember this isnt just yesterdays game! Its Maka's career at hibs that people are drawing their conclusion. Maka was at fault yesterday, and yes others were too, however, it wasnt just a misplaced pass or bad kicking it was, again, getting the simple, basic things for a keeper wrong. This isnt the first time it has happened and its the same simple basic things that he keeps getting wrong. Thats why people are on his back, I think a lot of people on here arent blaming him for the defeat, but have just had enough of him and his basic errors. As other have posted on here, if Hibs want to go places we need players who can be trusted relied on, players who dont keep getting the simple things wrong. Personally I dont mind people letting their opinion be known, and show that they as fans, wont accept this type of error happening again and again.

Expecting Rain
28-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Maka is playing because there is nobody else, the alternative is to play Nish in goal.

Part/Time Supporter
28-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Maka is playing because there is nobody else, the alternative is to play Nish in goal.

If Yogi had any confidence in Flynn, Maka would have been off. He shat it like he did against Hearts in the cup last year; his behaviour unsettled the rest of the team. As much as he has good performances and makes good saves at times, he is also capable of that. He simply doesn't have the mental qualities needed to play at a high level.

Expecting Rain
28-12-2009, 10:44 AM
If Yogi had any confidence in Flynn, Maka would have been off. He shat it like he did against Hearts in the cup last year; his behaviour unsettled the rest of the team. As much as he has good performances and makes good saves at times, he is also capable of that. He simply doesn't have the mental qualities needed to play at a high level.

I don`t disagree with any of that, he`ll never be a keeper in my opinion.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-12-2009, 10:51 AM
...with the turkey being a little undercooked. No, the blame for that has to rest squarely on the wife's shoulders. Though to be fair, she was distracted by the inane chatter of the mother-in-law. However, enough is enough and am now in the market for wife number four in January.

I'd suggest your Goose Is Cooked should the present Mrs DBS get wind of these comments......

Leithenhibby
28-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Remember this isnt just yesterdays game! Its Maka's career at hibs that people are drawing their conclusion. Maka was at fault yesterday, and yes others were too, however, it wasnt just a misplaced pass or bad kicking it was, again, getting the simple, basic things for a keeper wrong. This isnt the first time it has happened and its the same simple basic things that he keeps getting wrong. Thats why people are on his back, I think a lot of people on here arent blaming him for the defeat, but have just had enough of him and his basic errors. As other have posted on here, if Hibs want to go places we need players who can be trusted relied on, players who dont keep getting the simple things wrong. Personally I dont mind people letting their opinion be known, and show that they as fans, wont accept this type of error happening again and again.

Fair points. Maka had done nothing wrong until Miller decided to pass a ball to a blue jersey, the two centre backs (golden boy Sol) got dragged all over the place and we were on a downward spiral from there on.

I could go on, but I don't have the energy to be honest. Too many players made mistakes. :agree: I've moved on the Perth...:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Aye - it was all Rob Jones's fault you know - he used to bully the wee lamb.

" :devil: "

millarco
28-12-2009, 10:54 AM
You say that Miller and Riordan gifted goals, however, if you look at where they lost the ball you would expect the team to have done something about it before it got near the goals. Riordan and millers mistakes were like Maka's small mistakes in distribution. Maka made the big mistakes in getting beat at near post and not getting a strong hand to the last goal. Yes everyone had an off day today, however, Maka made glaring mistakes and seems like these type keep coming up. Yes, riordan has many an off day, however, he counters it by winning games on his own. Maka doesnt do enough special things to outweigh the bad things he does.

If you look at any good team in the world the always have a solid keeper and solid defence. Up until now, we have had a pretty solid defence, I would say more solid when stack is in goal. Up front we have what any good team has, players with an abundance of talent which can win a game out of anything, but at times they do nothing. look at Man U, they have berbatov who looks lazy, they have had Ronaldo who was huffy and sometimes looked un interested. Outfield players laziness and slackness can be tolerated in football, goalkeepers laziness and slackness cant!

Giving the ball away in the final third is worse than playing a poor ball up the park. With the first two goals, I'd say Hogg could have been tighter each time, but wouldn't apportion any blame to Maka. The main culprits were Miller and Riordan. For the 3rd and 4th Maka should have done much better, without a doubt. For me they were 2 big mistakes, but just as bad as Miller and Riordan. However it is a team game-you could analyse both goals and ask questions of the defence-Wotherspoon was caught out again by leaving Novo to attack the ball, and once again we are letting the player get the cross/shot in. For the second nobody is tracking Millers run, the back four was a shambles at that point.

I didn't really post on this thread to defend Maka's ability as a keeper-even I couldn't make excuses for the 3rd and 4th yesterday. I still think there is potentially a very good keeper there, but it won't be at ER. It has gone too far, and there is no confidence in his ability from the fans and probably the players. Even when he has played well (which was every game before Rangers) there are several-page threads on his performance. It's best for all concerned that he moves on, and I hope he has a good career.

As I said I can understand the criticism of his performance, but I disagreed with those criticising his attitude and professionalism, suggesting he had feigned an injury. It's quite an accusation to be aimed at someone who has a great professional approach to his game in terms of his lifestyle and dedication to the game, and one which I felt was nonsense.

ArabHibee
28-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Giving the ball away in the final third is worse than playing a poor ball up the park. With the first two goals, I'd say Hogg could have been tighter each time, but wouldn't apportion any blame to Maka. The main culprits were Miller and Riordan. For the 3rd and 4th Maka should have done much better, without a doubt. For me they were 2 big mistakes, but just as bad as Miller and Riordan. However it is a team game-you could analyse both goals and ask questions of the defence-Wotherspoon was caught out again by leaving Novo to attack the ball, and once again we are letting the player get the cross/shot in. For the second nobody is tracking Millers run, the back four was a shambles at that point.

I didn't really post on this thread to defend Maka's ability as a keeper-even I couldn't make excuses for the 3rd and 4th yesterday. I still think there is potentially a very good keeper there, but it won't be at ER. It has gone too far, and there is no confidence in his ability from the fans and probably the players. Even when he has played well (which was every game before Rangers) there are several-page threads on his performance. It's best for all concerned that he moves on, and I hope he has a good career.

As I said I can understand the criticism of his performance, but I disagreed with those criticising his attitude and professionalism, suggesting he had feigned an injury. It's quite an accusation to be aimed at someone who has a great professional approach to his game in terms of his lifestyle and dedication to the game, and one which I felt was nonsense.

:faf:

IMO he didn't play well at Kilmarnock or against Falkirk and he also had a couple of howlers at Aberdeen. That's why there have been several-page threads about his performance. Its not a witch hunt (well it isn't for me anyway). He's just not good enough to be our second choice (never mind first choice) goalkeeper. Not if we are serious about holding onto 3rd place.

millarco
28-12-2009, 11:17 AM
:faf:

IMO he didn't play well at Kilmarnock or against Falkirk and he also had a couple of howlers at Aberdeen. That's why there have been several-page threads about his performance. Its not a witch hunt (well it isn't for me anyway). He's just not good enough to be our second choice (never mind first choice) goalkeeper. Not if we are serious about holding onto 3rd place.

He was MOTM in several papers after the Aberdeen game. Against Falkirk and Motherwell he kept a clean sheet, and would probably have done the same against Kilmarnock had their goal been rightly disallowed. I'm quite happy for a keeper who doesn't play well if he keeps clean sheets in every game.

ArabHibee
28-12-2009, 11:35 AM
He was MOTM in several papers after the Aberdeen game. Against Falkirk and Motherwell he kept a clean sheet, and would probably have done the same against Kilmarnock had their goal been rightly disallowed. I'm quite happy for a keeper who doesn't play well if he keeps clean sheets in every game.

Were you at any of these matches? Did you see his nonsense against Falkirk? Did you see one of his kickouts against Aberdeen? Did you see some of the mistakes in the game against Kilmarnock?

The point I'm trying to make is that he is a bombscare and when I see his name in the team line-up, it fills me with dread, wondering what mistakes he is going to make, which will undoubtedly lead to a goal. If it doesn't fill me with confidence, then who knows how the team feel with him in goal? I want to be able to go to a match, see who the team is and not worry about the goalkeeper commiting another couple of howlers.

TornadoHibby
28-12-2009, 11:37 AM

I agree that the time has probably come for the lad to move on and try his luck elsewhere as he will be cut no slack for the slightest of errors at this club from here on as he has been treated that way for quite some time now and, particularly over the past month or so! Some of the vicious comments proven to be factually incorrect were breathtaking for this Hibee and incomprehensible when the guy was pulling off goal stopping saves several times in a match. :agree:

The Aberdeen game was a case in point where, had it not been for him, we would have returned to Edinburgh with no points rather than the three we got! :agree:

That game also showed that our outfield play, particularly in the first half, was not as good as many on here (who may not watch the team first hand that often I grant you!) seem to believe. Our ability to find a Hibs player with a pass of more than a few feet was woeful to say the least and proved again yesterday to be a big problem for us! :agree:

Yogi is right when he points out that the team is nowhere near the "finished article" that he has in mind and the threads that appear on here suggesting that we just need to turn up against Rangers etc to pick up the 3 points are cringe-worthy to say the least! :cool2:

However, claims have been made on here that Maka has deliberately pretended to be injured yesterday and, if that is somehow shown to be the case then the lad's football career may well be over as that would show a serious inability to deal with the pressures of playing at that level! :confused:

However, I wonder how much truth there is in these allegations as opposed to fertile wee imaginations running wild creating sensational stories for the sheer hell of it!? :cool2:

All in all, as I said earlier, Maka needs to move on eleswhere as the Hibs support on this board at least are indicating that they largely don't rate him and therefore EVERY move he makes that is capable of being critcised (goal chance generated or goal scored against or "non event") will be used to villify him by those who have done so far and others who follow that line of thinking! :agree:

However, I do believe personally that a lot of yesterday's comments against him where way over the top, exaggerated and missed the biggest problem we have and that is that our team showed yesterday that it is not yet good enough to take on a Rangers team which was more physical, wanted to win the game more and was more committed to every tackle than our players were overall! :cool2:

ArabHibee
28-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree that the time has probably come for the lad to move on and try his luck elsewhere as he will be cut no slack for the slightest of errors at this club from here on as he has been treated that way for quite some time now and, particularly over the past month or so! Some of the vicious comments proven to be factually incorrect were breathtaking for this Hibee and incomprehensible when the guy was pulling off goal stopping saves several times in a match. :agree:

:yawn: Why can't you just admit that he's Tom Kite and be done with it? Instead of blaming an internet forum and saying he would be best to move on because he'll not get a fair crack at the whip as a lot of fans have made up their mind about him and will not change it? They've made their minds up based on what they have seen with their own eyes (over quite a long period of time I might add) and what they've seen ain't good enough for a Hibs goalie.

millarco
28-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Were you at any of these matches? Did you see his nonsense against Falkirk? Did you see one of his kickouts against Aberdeen? Did you see some of the mistakes in the game against Kilmarnock?

The point I'm trying to make is that he is a bombscare and when I see his name in the team line-up, it fills me with dread, wondering what mistakes he is going to make, which will undoubtedly lead to a goal. If it doesn't fill me with confidence, then who knows how the team feel with him in goal? I want to be able to go to a match, see who the team is and not worry about the goalkeeper commiting another couple of howlers.

Against Falkirk the only thing in my mind that was questionable was when he was slow in coming out for one through ball, which ultimately was dealt with. He also turned Bullen in the box, managing to keep possession and start an attack. IIRC Hogg did the exact same yesterday as last man, and keepers do it all the time. If you've ever watched Maka on the ball during the warm-up up you'd know that he is technically very good, maybe that would ease your concerns a bit. I also saw a sensational save from Moutinho's save, which kept us ahead at a time when the team was falling apart.

Admittedly I wasn't at the Killie game, but having spoken to family who were they were happy enough with his performance. From the highlights I saw him fouled for the goal, and a very good save from Kyle in the first half.

Against Aberdeen he made several good stops, the one from Foster probably the pick of the bunch. He had one poor kick out which might have lead to a goal, but other than that was faultless and ultimately, again, kept a clean sheet.

To be honest I don't know why we're going over these games again. As I said before I wasn't on here to defend his ability, can totally understand why people don't rate him. I still think he has the potential to be a good keeper, but the game is all about opinions.

TornadoHibby
28-12-2009, 12:11 PM
:yawn: Why can't you just admit that he's Tom Kite and be done with it? Instead of blaming an internet forum and saying he would be best to move on because he'll not get a fair crack at the whip as a lot of fans have made up their mind about him and will not change it? They've made their minds up based on what they have seen with their own eyes (over quite a long period of time I might add) and what they've seen ain't good enough for a Hibs goalie.

Simple really and, it would be for you too if you weren't so unable to "see the wood through the trees here" something I thought that I done for you with my explanation of how I got to where I did in my post, most of which you have totally ignored in terms of the "bigger picture" team wise to focus on Maka alone yet again! :confused:

You don't value my comments on the Aberdeen match clearly but they are factual as anyone who was there will confirm as does the BBC highlights clip of the match! We were fortunate to get 3 points there and that was down to Maka's performance in terms of the goal attempts he saved of which there were several! :agree:

I've tried to get the guy a "fair hearing" on here as all players deserve that but it hasn't been possible despite the fact that he has actually won games for us although a guy from space reading this board wouldn't think that!! :grr:

Hibs90
28-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I've always stuck up for Maka. But he should NEVER be beaten at his near post. He was a disaster yesterday and his time is up. Punt him in January and get antoher solid keeper in. I hope Stacks fit for the derby. :agree:

TornadoHibby
28-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Who is then and how soon can we get him signed up!? :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Simple really and, it would be for you too if you weren't so unable to "see the wood through the trees here" something I thought that I done for you with my explanation of how I got to where I did in my post, most of which you have totally ignored in terms of the "bigger picture" team wise to focus on Maka alone yet again! :confused:

You don't value my comments on the Aberdeen match clearly but they are factual as anyone who was there will confirm as does the BBC highlights clip of the match! We were fortunate to get 3 points there and that was down to Maka's performance in terms of the goal attempts he saved of which there were several! :agree:

I've tried to get the guy a "fair hearing" on here as all players deserve that but it hasn't been possible despite the fact that he has actually won games for us although a guy from space reading this board wouldn't think that!! :grr:

Surely you can see he's made far too many howlers to continue as Hibs keeper? You mention the Aberdeen game, yes he made a couple of good saves, thats what he's there for. If we had had another keeper in goals, i'm pretty sure he would have saved them too. He's not won games for us as you say, he's just done his job well, and thats all we ask. Although he has lost us goals, that have been ridiculously soft goals, basic goals no keeper should be losing. His time is up, not because a few people on here say so, because the manager will get rid, because if he doesn't, he will put his own job in jepardy.

PISTOL1875
28-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Maka doesn't have the character to be a goalie.. Too many times now the big game atmosphere has affected him and he has lost the bottle... How many times is that now he has '' appartantly been injured '' and requested to be subbed ?? The Huns got on top of him and he buckled under the pressure.. He has to go I'm afraid...

PaulSmith
28-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I actually cannot believe that they are some guys trying to make a case for the defence of Makalamby, as much as I like the big guy and want him to succeed he is the one thing that we cannot have in a goalie and that is that no one trusts him.

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Ive now got what the letters in your name stand for regarding Makalambay

He Is Better Standing Still Punching Always Is Nervy

Your no really a fan are you :wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 01:01 PM
No, its, He Is Blind Suspect Something Painfull And In Nerve

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 01:01 PM
No, its, He Is Blind Suspect Something Painfull And In Nerve

:top marks

:thumbsup:

Glasgow Hibee
28-12-2009, 01:06 PM
That's just parrot talk - Boyd was clearly in the best position to score and Maka was using his head (unlike a lot of posters on this thread) in trying to take away that option - it needed a terrific strike from Novo.

I'm pretty sure that the theorists who say a goalkeeper should never be beaten at the near post don't also advocate that it is alright for the defence to leave their best striker all on his lonesome in the 6-yard box.

Can't be bothered reading any further than the above post as it doesn't matter what is said, idiots always blame the keeper. Maka's not brilliant but I saw it like crabit. Maka was caught between a rock and a hard place, trying to defend the near post shot AND the best finisher in Scotland who was standing alone on the six yard line waiting for the ball. Which ever way Maka went, we would have lost a goal.

Hibs Spain
28-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Ive now got what the letters in your name stand for regarding Makalambay

He Is Better Standing Still Punching Always Is Nervy

Your no really a fan are you :wink:

I was disappointed yesterday.The near post thing apart,I thought he wasn't as sharp as he can be.
I do genuinely think he has exceptional qualities and if he can get a bit of arrogance and authority about him,he's definitely worth sticking with.In the cold light of day,if you analyse everything Maka..Any mistake is ridiculously blown out of all proportion!

HibbyAndy
28-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I was disappointed yesterday.The near post thing apart,I thought he wasn't as sharp as he can be.
I do genuinely think he has exceptional qualities and if he can get a bit of arrogance and authority about him,he's definitely worth sticking with.In the cold light of day,if you analyse everything Maka..Any mistake is ridiculously blown out of all proportion!

:thumbsup:

Never ment anything malicious mate, just light hearted banter tae get the feel good factor back.

Hearts in less than a week :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
28-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Can't be bothered reading any further than the above post as it doesn't matter what is said, idiots always blame the keeper. Maka's not brilliant but I saw it like crabit. Maka was caught between a rock and a hard place, trying to defend the near post shot AND the best finisher in Scotland who was standing alone on the six yard line waiting for the ball. Which ever way Maka went, we would have lost a goal.

Wow.

I think Maka if threw the ball into his own net next Sunday you would still get some posters on here defending him.

PISTOL1875
28-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I actually cannot believe that they are some guys trying to make a case for the defence of Makalamby, as much as I like the big guy and want him to succeed he is the one thing that we cannot have in a goalie and that is that no one trusts him.

God knows why people are defending him.. You're correct in saying we want him to do well.. All Hibs fans want there players to do well but the guy just does not have the trust of his defence .. He makes far too many mistakes that cost us goals..

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow.

I think Maka if threw the ball into his own net next Sunday you would still get some posters on here defending him.

He would probably be doing it deliberately, to prove some point only hibspain could see.

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow.

It goes both ways, if Maka made 10 world class saves against St Johnstone there would be some idiots who claim he was lucky or 'looks capable of a mistake' or similar such rubbish. Unfortunately you cant get much sense talked on this subject on either 'side'.

TornadoHibby
28-12-2009, 01:25 PM
That's just parrot talk - Boyd was clearly in the best position to score and Maka was using his head (unlike a lot of posters on this thread) in trying to take away that option - it needed a terrific strike from Novo.

I'm pretty sure that the theorists who say a goalkeeper should never be beaten at the near post don't also advocate that it is alright for the defence to leave their best striker all on his lonesome in the 6-yard box.

God knows why people are defending him.. You're correct in saying we want him to do well.. All Hibs fans want there players to do well but the guy just does not have the trust of his defence .. He makes far too many mistakes that cost us goals..

Purely dealing with the 3rd goal, what are the flaws in the points noted above? :dunno: :cool2:

TornadoHibby
28-12-2009, 01:26 PM
It goes both ways, if Maka made 10 world class saves against St Johnstone there would be some idiots who claim he was lucky or 'looks capable of a mistake' or similar such rubbish. Unfortunately you cant get much sense talked on this subject on either 'side'.

:top marks

That's where I am on this too! :agree:

marinello59
28-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I think maka has all the physical ability to make it as a great keeper. I just don't think he is mentally tough enough for the top level. Shame, he's likeable big guy but Stack can't get back in to the team quickly enough for me.

PISTOL1875
28-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I think maka has all the physical ability to make it as a great keeper. I just don't think he is mentally tough enough for the top level. Shame, he's likeable big guy but Stack can't get back in to the team quickly enough for me.

He isn't tough enough mentally.. Big crowds get on his back early on and he bottles it.. There is no doubt about that...

Part/Time Supporter
28-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Purely dealing with the 3rd goal, what are the flaws in the points noted above? :dunno: :cool2:

I'm sorry, but you deal with the immediate threat. If you cut the angle for Novo to score, then he has to cross the ball and Boyd has to put the ball in the net. This means that two things have to go right for Rangers to score, and there is more opportunity for things to go wrong, or maybe a Hibs player can recover. By opening up the near post and allowing the shot, the opponent only has to do one thing right to score, and there is no opportunity for any Hibs player to recover the position.

HFC 0-7
28-12-2009, 01:30 PM

I would question his attitude. I think Maka's attitude towards being a keeper is not up to it. As a keeper you need to be prepared to go in and get whacked and maybe get badly hurt, its the nature of being a gaol keeper. Although I never seen it yesterday, I have seen it time and time again where he has one eye on the ball and one eye looking out to see if he is going to get hurt, and this is what causes some of the problems, looking at the Killie game, although it was a foul he should have still caught the ball had it not been for him being wary of being hit or hitting his own player.

I also think your comment of giving the ball away in the final third is worse than playing a poor ball up field is wrong. If that is what you think then every team you watch must be terrible, or there would be a goal almost every time the ball went up field.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 01:34 PM

I don't believe that, in fact whenever he has played well, and he has, and made good saves, he gets plenty of praise.:confused:

Hibs Spain
28-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Can't be bothered reading any further than the above post as it doesn't matter what is said, idiots always blame the keeper. Maka's not brilliant but I saw it like crabit. Maka was caught between a rock and a hard place, trying to defend the near post shot AND the best finisher in Scotland who was standing alone on the six yard line waiting for the ball. Which ever way Maka went, we would have lost a goal.Glad someone else sees that.It's not a rule cast in stone that you can't be beaten at your near post.Imagine if Maka had been stuck to his near post and Novo rolled the ball to Boyd for a tap- in.Can you imagine the howls of derision?

ronaldo7
28-12-2009, 01:37 PM

His concentration levels are far below what's required of a GOOD goalie.

It's a pity that when the teams get read out before kick off nowadays, its the opposition supporters singing the Maka song.:boo hoo:

He can't hack the big time.

JimBHibees
28-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry, but you deal with the immediate threat. If you cut the angle for Novo to score, then he has to cross the ball and Boyd has to put the ball in the net. This means that two things have to go right for Rangers to score, and there is more opportunity for things to go wrong, or maybe a Hibs player can recover. By opening up the near post and allowing the shot, the opponent only has to do one thing right to score, and there is no opportunity for any Hibs player to recover the position.

Totally agree he should have covered the post, very basic goalkeeping IMO.

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't believe that, in fact whenever he has played well, and he has, and made good saves, he gets plenty of praise.:confused:

..from some people, yet even after good games there would be still be a substantial minority who would find a gripe. FWIW I think Stack should now get the gloves, no question.

Glasgow Hibee
28-12-2009, 01:40 PM

FWIW, I agree with you. I just think he made the wrong choice in a difficult situation, not the howler that many people seem to be accusing him of.

JimBHibees
Glad someone else sees that.It's not a rule cast in stone that you can't be beaten at your near post.Imagine if Maka had been stuck to his near post and Novo rolled the ball to Boyd for a tap- in.Can you imagine the howls of derision?

If that had happened the defenders would have taken the blame for not marking, it isnt Maka's job to be trying to cut out a cross leaving his near post completely free. Awful keeping at any level never mind professional.

Golden Bear
Totally agree he should have covered the post, very basic goalkeeping IMO.

It was not a fluke. Nova saw the gap and took the opportunity. Simple as.

JimBHibees
28-12-2009, 01:41 PM
FWIW, I agree with you. I just think he made the wrong choice in a difficult situation, not the howler that many people seem to be accusing him of.

Sorry that was a complete howler which effectively killed the game.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 01:42 PM
What did Maka and Michael Jackson have in common, before Michaels untimely death.

They both wore gloves for no apparent reason.

HFC 0-7
28-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I have just scanned through this thread again, and it is surprising that some people can defend Maka by blaming the rest of the team, or going further internet forums. The staunch Maka defenders dont even seem to accept that the amount of errors he has made, regardless of whether its resulted in a goal or not, is too much for an SPL side, who are on the up and possibly challenging the old firm.

Yes there are people that are the complete opposite and would not even acknowledge the fact that Maka has some ability. What is surprising is that the people defending maka cant really come up with any solid reasons why he is this excellent keeper, but in fact only seem to be getting involved with the thread because they like an arguement or, which is understandable, dont like the way in which people are saying that Maka isnt good enough for Hibs. If thats the case fine, but surely an ' I agree Maka is not up to standard, however we should be slating him' post.

The most surprising thing for me though, from the Maka defenders, is that, as fans, we are accepting that maka is good for hibs, if thats the case and we all accept these standards going forward we will be bottom six fodder every year!

the_ginger_hibee
28-12-2009, 01:53 PM
So much debate over nothing.

Forget the details (we wouldn't have won anyway, Boyd was yards away, its just his attitude and 'young-ness') the amount of mistakes over the years are now indefensible.

"Dont mock the Hibs keeper, they've given us so much entertainment over the years" - Line from Sky. That was before any of the goals went in. They must be making it up aswell then.

(P.S Did anyone see Maka's sock band things? 'Big Yves 50'. Whats that mean then? Big Mistakes? Big *****bag? Big Liability? Big waste of cash?)

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2009, 02:10 PM
..from some people, yet even after good games there would be still be a substantial minority who would find a gripe. FWIW I think Stack should now get the gloves, no question.

Yet when he makes one of his regular howlers, he still gets praise from some people, who think he's done no wrong.

hibsbollah
28-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Yet when he makes one of his regular howlers, he still gets praise from some people, who think he's done no wrong.

You're quite right. As I said, you cant get much sense talked on this subject on either 'side'.

Hibernian Verse
28-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I just saw Maka in Ocean Terminal today and asked him how his injury was, he said it's not too bad but he's clearly limping and he seemed really quite down. He was gutted at yesterday but wants to get back in goals and be the keeper he knows he can. Good on him for that.

We have to remember that for 90 mins he's our keeper but he's a guy just like you or me and things can get to him.

GlesgaeHibby
28-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I just saw Maka in Ocean Terminal today and asked him how his injury was, he said it's not too bad but he's clearly limping and he seemed really quite down. He was gutted at yesterday but wants to get back in goals and be the keeper he knows he can. Good on him for that.

We have to remember that for 90 mins he's our keeper but he's a guy just like you or me and things can get to him.

We all know he's a nice guy and that he's just an ordinary bloke like the rest of us, but at the end of the day, he isn't good enough to be our goalkeeper.

ArabHibee
28-12-2009, 04:00 PM
We all know he's a nice guy and that he's just an ordinary bloke like the rest of us, but at the end of the day, he isn't good enough to be our goalkeeper.

:agree::top marks

millarco
28-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I also think your comment of giving the ball away in the final third is worse than playing a poor ball up field is wrong. If that is what you think then every team you watch must be terrible, or there would be a goal almost every time the ball went up field.

Miller and Riordan both gave the ball away in dangerous areas. A couple of passes later and the ball is in the back of the net. This IMO is much worse than if for example either player had aimed a poor long ball up the line or towards Stokes or someone. I don't know if you've misunderstood my initial point or simply disagree with it, but I don't see how someone could argue otherwise.

HFC 0-7
28-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Miller and Riordan both gave the ball away in dangerous areas. A couple of passes later and the ball is in the back of the net. This IMO is much worse than if for example either player had aimed a poor long ball up the line or towards Stokes or someone. I don't know if you've misunderstood my initial point or simply disagree with it, but I don't see how someone could argue otherwise.

Your initial post said that you thought giving the ball away in the final third is worse than playing a poor ball up field. The final third is in the opposition half, and this is where the ball, by most teams, will be given away the most because you comit less forward than they have in defence. Or do you mean the final third is our box?

BSEJVT
28-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Havent read all this thread as I am still raging after yesterday's cheap capitulation. So apologies for any repitition of points made.

Maka must go, he is a grade A bottle merchant.

Every slight error is followed by a mystery injury to deflect criticism and gain sympathy.

He makes far too many basic mistakes and a Goalie who cant kick the ball consistently is worse than useless in the current form of the game.

Quite simply we cant wait for him to mature, there are faults that are endemic to his performance that are no closer to being eradicated from his game now then when he arrived.

A new Goalie is an absolute must.

Stack is fair enough but his history suggests he wont ever complete a full season without a long lasting niggling injury that's impossible to pin down.

Tonez
28-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Maka has made/had his fair share of * ups. Too many mistakes in my book. Pulls of a great save and then undoes all the good work with a howler. He never likes being at an away end you can tell by his body language and when the away support get on his back he turns into a bomb scare.:bitchy:

The defence have a lot to answer for though, Maka's struggling to kick the ball and they kept passing it back to him for a punt up the pitch :grr:

The sooner Stack is back in goals the better for the whole team. :agree:

Toaods
28-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Wow.

...but our(Hibs)next game is in midweek against St Johnstone, so you'll be hoping he does 'throw one in' won't you or are you keeping a low profile until next week hoping you can continue your quest..:wink:

Amazing.

Glad you typed this Milky, as to have gone back out for the 2nd half against Rangers with a strained hamstring (as per Yogi's own words) whilst the manager could have been forced into making a change, The strong likelyhood he would concede further goal(s)and take all the flak, warranted or not, and then to show face in Ocean Terminal the next again day in prime shopping time.

Sounds like a real bottler right enough....fingers crossed he'll be OK for Wednesday as Stack sounds like he's miles away form getting the nod.

millarco
28-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Your initial post said that you thought giving the ball away in the final third is worse than playing a poor ball up field. The final third is in the opposition half, and this is where the ball, by most teams, will be given away the most because you comit less forward than they have in defence. Or do you mean the final third is our box?

Yeah sorry, was thinking the final third from an attacking view so giving the ball away around our penalty area. In context it made sense as we were talking about the Miller and Riordan incidents, but I can see where the confusion arose. At least we're agreeing on something now!:greengrin

blueisthecolour
28-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Yes, if Maka hadn't let in that third goal we would have won the game FACT.

How can you say fact when it quite clearly isn't a fact:confused:

Toaods
28-12-2009, 05:00 PM

think we call that one an Andy McNeill on Hibs.net.....'over yer heid'....:greengrin

matty_f
28-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Epic fail.

Captain Trips
28-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Bad defending from several players and not for first time.

Bad goalkeeping from Maka more and not for first time, He has not been the difference in a positive manner for us enough to allow errors. Yes he has had great games but this again swings it way too much.

I am not saying he hasnt saved us but every keeper will at some point. He has simply not done it enough to get away with goals like the 3rd. IMO the parameters have been pushed.

BSEJVT
29-12-2009, 05:41 AM
...but our(Hibs)next game is in midweek against St Johnstone, so you'll be hoping he does 'throw one in' won't you or are you keeping a low profile until next week hoping you can continue your quest..:wink:

Amazing.

Glad you typed this Milky, as to have gone back out for the 2nd half against Rangers with a strained hamstring (as per Yogi's own words) whilst the manager could have been forced into making a change, The strong likelyhood he would concede further goal(s)and take all the flak, warranted or not, and then to show face in Ocean Terminal the next again day in prime shopping time.

Sounds like a real bottler right enough....fingers crossed he'll be OK for Wednesday as Stack sounds like he's miles away form getting the nod.

So the fact that he goes shopping after the game doesn't make him a bottle merchant?

Its what he does on the pitch that matters and is the judge of him as a Goalie not his shopping habits!

Can I just say then a quick well done to the thousands of folk who have braved the sales over the past few days.

That took real courage.

He's the most inconsistent kicker of the ball that I have seen playing the game in Scotland (including Leighton).

His concentration levels and decison making are shocking.

Every time he makes an error he's limping or ambling about looking in pain. Its a lack of mental fortitude IMO.

FWIW IMO if his hamstring is that bad and he may be needed for Wednesday then he should have been nowhere near the *****ing shops and should have stayed at home resting the bloody thing.

Instead he pops down the shops for a stroll around and another wash of adulation to salve his conscience.

I dont think we have yet descended to the levels of abusing our players to their faces in public (message board's yes, public no:greengrin)

He's a lovely big guy popular with everyone but has made as many errors as Brown , McNeil and nearly Zibi yet gets a far easier ride than any of them.

I will be astonished if we dont get another Goalie in in January.

TornadoHibby
29-12-2009, 07:46 AM
I have just scanned through this thread again, and it is surprising that some people can defend Maka by blaming the rest of the team, or going further internet forums. The staunch Maka defenders dont even seem to accept that the amount of errors he has made, regardless of whether its resulted in a goal or not, is too much for an SPL side, who are on the up and possibly challenging the old firm.

Yes there are people that are the complete opposite and would not even acknowledge the fact that Maka has some ability. What is surprising is that the people defending maka cant really come up with any solid reasons why he is this excellent keeper, but in fact only seem to be getting involved with the thread because they like an arguement or, which is understandable, dont like the way in which people are saying that Maka isnt good enough for Hibs. If thats the case fine, but surely an ' I agree Maka is not up to standard, however we should be slating him' post.

The most surprising thing for me though, from the Maka defenders, is that, as fans, we are accepting that maka is good for hibs, if thats the case and we all accept these standards going forward we will be bottom six fodder every year!

I think this post sums up the "Maka bashing" fairly concisely! :agree:

Rangers beat us on Sunday fairly easily with most of our players coming second best against their Rangers counterpart over 90 minutes yet this thread sets out to destroy the Hibs goalkeeper by essentially blaming him for the defeat and by screaming that he is not good enough to play for Hibs ever again etc etc! :agree:

Personally, I am baffled at the willingness to destroy Maka and the apparent unwillingness to recognise the real reasons for the defeat which have been evident in previous matches, most notably the week before at Aberdeen, and debate those. :confused:

We have bigger problems to sort out if we are to achieve anything like a third place finish this season that finding a "suitable" replacement goalkeeper which, realistically, Yogi should conduct a "straw poll" on here and rely on the results to choose that keeper as some on here reckon they know better than anyone what it takes to make a good keeper who is good enough for Hibs! :faf: :faf:

Modern technology is good for many things but it is awful in encouraging "would be" bullies to say things they would never say publicly or to a person face to face! I suspect we have at least a few of them on here! :confused: :grr:

HFC 0-7
29-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Rangers beat us on Sunday fairly easily with most of our players coming second best against their Rangers counterpart over 90 minutes yet this thread sets out to destroy the Hibs goalkeeper by essentially blaming him for the defeat and by screaming that he is not good enough to play for Hibs ever again etc etc! :agree:

Personally, I am baffled at the willingness to destroy Maka and the apparent unwillingness to recognise the real reasons for the defeat which have been evident in previous matches, most notably the week before at Aberdeen, and debate those. :confused:

We have bigger problems to sort out if we are to achieve anything like a third place finish this season that finding a "suitable" replacement goalkeeper which, realistically, Yogi should conduct a "straw poll" on here and rely on the results to choose that keeper as some on here reckon they know better than anyone what it takes to make a good keeper who is good enough for Hibs! :faf: :faf:

Modern technology is good for many things but it is awful in encouraging "would be" bullies to say things they would never say publicly or to a person face to face! I suspect we have at least a few of them on here! :confused: :grr:

Not sure if you were agreeing with my post or not, however, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying, however, I would say that the biggest position we need to fill is the goal keeping position. Regardless of blame for defeats etc, Maka is not Hibs standard as he does make too many mistakes for a goal keeper. I have spoken to ex goalkeepers who agree with me and they have played at a high level. They all say what I have said for some time. Maka has ability but makes far to many mistakes.

Now, what i am saying in that maka is not good enough, some will say is maka bashing, but as far as I see it, I am just pointing out that Maka is not good enough for hibs and that is perfectly OK. For people defending Maka, I would say this, which current goal keeper has made more mistakes in his career in the SPL?

Captain Trips
29-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Yes we do have problems other than Maka and I for 1 seen that the defeat was due to bad defending, in the case of Maka the problem as it is for all keepers you can be hung out to dry very easily. Maka has his previous as do others but his are far more noted. It is the opinion that he isnt good enough for many and his mistake was final straw.

Yes others are to blame but many people want rid of Maka and are making that known on here. I think he is a liability the worst one out of the 11 so therefore think this thread on him is warrented.

HFC 0-7
29-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Thinking back on the goalkeepers we have had I struggle to find out what exactly is Hibs standard for a keeper. maybe Maka is that standard.
Of course we should always strive to improve, for those supporting Maka, it may be because he is a Hibs player, the best.
Well he isn't really but he plays for the best club in the land.
Well not really but we as supporters feel that.

I still think Maka will probably go elsewhere or become third choice, however to constantly point out his errors and say it's time for him to move on is a bit like saying it's Tuesday today.

Kinda obvious and not a great deal we can do about it.

I don't know the answer to your final question so I will have to ask you for the answer.

Tell you this though. Two teams on the park, both goalkeepers make exactly the same mistake. One, the goalkeeper would either be embarrassed to see it on telly or he would have gotten away with it. Maka, Yet another howler from a Hibs Goalie.

If we, the fans, dont constantly point out what we expect then the board would not act. The board are happy as long as the money is coming in. If we just kept quiet, kept buying season tickets and merchandise, why would the board spend money?

Fans are what keeps the club going, if the fans start getting restless the board will act (See mixu, I am sure he would still be at the club if there were no boos, no moaning and everyone buying stuff).

Point is, fans moan and moan about the same stuff, its what fans do, if we all had your attitude I am sure the game would be less appealing, these forums would certainly be less appealing.

In regard to the last part, dont know what you mean.

Littlest Hobo
29-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Losing to Rangers I can take, it was the manner of the defeat! Heads went down and for me that is unforgiveable :grr:

HFC 0-7
29-12-2009, 11:30 AM
You know nothing about my attitude other than a few posts on this forum so you jump to conclusions and put me down.
No big deal, you do that to a team you support
If we all had the the same attitude it would be boring
Regards to the last part, forget it. it's clearly above you.

You are obviosuly very defensive, regarding the attitude part, I had based it on the last few posts, not overall, but based on your response, I would say that you are very defensive and take things to heart. Putting you down? Please!

You obviously think very highly of yourself if you think its above me, but hey ho, it must make you feel good!

HFC 0-7
29-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Aye, I did get defensive and probably went too far.
Apologies.

No probs, apologies too, if I offended! Its just passion for the HIBS!

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Losing to Rangers I can take, it was the manner of the defeat! Heads went down and for me that is unforgiveable :grr:

So is that it then, Hibs/Yogi/the players/the club will never be forgiven?:confused:

Allant1981
29-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Not been on the last couple of days but just been reading this thread. IMO all 4 of the rangers goals could have been avoided with better defending and better goalkeeping, Miller should never have got a shot away for the 1st and maybe should have been saved, 2nd one again was piss poor defending but dont really think the keeper could have done much with it, when you play in goals its a natural reaction to go down the way he did when the shot was hit. 3rd was a joke of a goal to give away and as pro footballers they should have been mortified. 4th was utter gash as well from the defence and keeper and IMO should and could have been saved.

ahibby
29-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Bad defending had a part to play but Maka getting beat at his near post for their third I think, was criminal. If I didnt know better I would think he had been nobbled by the Rangers to concede because some of those goals he let in should have been stopped by a good pro. On that display you would think he was either crooked or p((( poor if you didn`t know he can have good games too.

Toaods
29-12-2009, 07:01 PM
So the fact that he goes shopping after the game doesn't make him a bottle merchant?

Its what he does on the pitch that matters and is the judge of him as a Goalie not his shopping habits!

Can I just say then a quick well done to the thousands of folk who have braved the sales over the past few days.

That took real courage.

He's the most inconsistent kicker of the ball that I have seen playing the game in Scotland (including Leighton).

His concentration levels and decison making are shocking.

Every time he makes an error he's limping or ambling about looking in pain. Its a lack of mental fortitude IMO.

FWIW IMO if his hamstring is that bad and he may be needed for Wednesday then he should have been nowhere near the *****ing shops and should have stayed at home resting the bloody thing.

Instead he pops down the shops for a stroll around and another wash of adulation to salve his conscience.

I dont think we have yet descended to the levels of abusing our players to their faces in public (message board's yes, public no:greengrin)

He's a lovely big guy popular with everyone but has made as many errors as Brown , McNeil and nearly Zibi yet gets a far easier ride than any of them.

I will be astonished if we dont get another Goalie in in January.

I agree....well done the shoppers, especially with tomorrow nights game being off.

Did you know that when a hamstring suffers strain there can usually be no visible sign of any difficulty. That show up when excessive weight is applied in a reverse action, ie kicking a ball feels is like a giant rock or worse still....:nade:

Going for a walk will not affect his ongoing strain. I do wonder about his strain as although it is all too easy for to accuse him of bottling out, he has shown signs of strain previously and more concerningly with his size, this could be a thing he may struggle to break free from.

Remember Crouch struggled for almost a season and how often did Rob Jones have to come over to to speak to the physio during a break in play.

These extremely tall players find it tough to avoid such strains. Can't recall anyone accusing Jones of bottling it.

Was Maka limpimg about last week after his fluffed goal kick or was that perhaps an earlier sign that all wasn't right from prior to the Rangers game.

TornadoHibby
29-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Bad defending had a part to play but Maka getting beat at his near post for their third I think, was criminal. If I didnt know better I would think he had been nobbled by the Rangers to concede because some of those goals he let in should have been stopped by a good pro. On that display you would think he was either crooked or p((( poor if you didn`t know he can have good games too.

Which ones apart from the third where no matter what he did it was likely that he would not have been able to prevent a goal due to poor defending as Novo (as an alternative to what he did :wink:) could easily have passed it into Boyd on the 6yd line smack in the middle of the goals who would have had a tap in!? :cool2:

I think you're havin' a larf mate! :wink: :greengrin

Allant1981
29-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Which ones apart from the third where no matter what he did it was likely that he would not have been able to prevent a goal due to poor defending as Novo (as an alternative to what he did :wink:) could easily have passed it into Boyd on the 6yd line smack in the middle of the goals who would have had a tap in!? :cool2:

I think he could have kept the 4th out if he got a stronger hand to it but its done now and hopefully if he plays against hearts then he plays a bit better

Broken Gnome
29-12-2009, 09:17 PM

I think you're havin' a larf mate! :wink: :greengrin right, once and for all, though it must be some form of joke for people to actually to believe this, a goalkeeper does not deflect blame for conceding a goal if 'they would've scored anyway' or 'we would've got beat anyway'.

TornadoHibby
29-12-2009, 09:53 PM
right, once and for all, though it must be some form of joke for people to actually to believe this, a goalkeeper does not deflect blame for conceding a goal if 'they would've scored anyway' or 'we would've got beat anyway'.

How's that then? :wink: :cool2:

(((Fergus)))
29-12-2009, 10:09 PM

:agree: Imagine playing a high line with a makeshift defence against the reigning champions who are well on form and scoring for fun. :cool2:

Maka was left totally exposed for all but one of the goals (2nd). Not saying he's the world's best goalie but when your defence is as threadbare and halfhearted as ours was then what do you honestly expect? Especially after going one goal up, surely some thought should have been given to defending that lead...

Allant1981
29-12-2009, 10:25 PM
:agree: Imagine playing a high line with a makeshift defence against the reigning champions who are well on form and scoring for fun. :cool2:

Maka was left totally exposed for all but one of the goals (2nd). Not saying he's the world's best goalie but when your defence is as threadbare and halfhearted as ours was then what do you honestly expect? Especially after going one goal up, surely some thought should have been given to defending that lead...

How was he exposed for the 1st? Miller scored from about 25 yards and it wasnt exactly the hardest of shots in the wrorld

Removed
29-12-2009, 10:28 PM
How was he exposed for the 1st? Miller scored from about 25 yards and it wasnt exactly the hardest of shots in the wrorld

It was very well placed imo.

Very poor defending by Bamba & Hogg, not close enough to their men and if they had been Miller would not have got the chance of a shot.

Stack would have saved it though :agree:

(((Fergus)))
29-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Miller occupied the big gap between our centre halves. "As anyone who has played football at any level will know" :wink: that is a big no-no.

The reason Miller's shot wasn't particularly hard was because it was particularly accurate. It just crept inside the post. "As anyone who has ..." football goals are bloody big, even if you are 6 foot 7 with telescopic arms. Of course a Hibs class goalie would have caught it easily but then a Hibs class midfield/defence would never have allowed the situation to arise.

Look at virtually all the hun goals and you will see one thing in common: the speed and ease with which they cut through the Hibs midfield and defence - including the goalie.

basehibby
30-12-2009, 12:36 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/now-we-look-for-answers-20091228_2262950_1916380

Interesting article there on the official site which includes some comment from our manager re the current goalkeeping options amongst other stuff.

It seems Maka had a hamstring tweak at HT - who knows if that had a part in his positioning at the huns' 3rd but it was still a bad mistake IMO.

On the other hand, the (4th?) huns goal came direct from a mis-placed pass from Liam Miller - I'd just been commenting to a friendly hun I was watching the game with in London that Miller's been our most consistently good performer this seaon (which I'd still stand by) and then he goes and does that!!!

Conclusion? Everybody makes mistakes - I've stood up for Maka and I'd still maintain that he's a very good back up option for the Hibees who has the potential to develop into a very good keeper. As things stand though that's what he is - Stack IMO has been some distance from perfect in his turn outs for Hibs so far (some consistently duff kick outs in early starts for example) but has on the whole turned in a very steady series of performances including one or two stand outs and with very few basic errors of the kind that have been a regular feature of Maka's performances.

Maka has some great attributes - not least of all his physique and athleticism - but unless he can overcome these lapses in concentration and focus in his game he'll never be better than an avaerage keeper - time is running out for him to prove that he can do just that at Hibs (anyone know how long he's got left on his contract by the way???)

Broken Gnome
30-12-2009, 08:29 AM
How's that then? :wink: :cool2:

Because on the other hand, didn't he have only one save to make against Motherwell and Falkirk? And we won both those games 2-0? That good goalkeeping didn't matter then, we would've won anyway :wink:

TornadoHibby
30-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Because on the other hand, didn't he have only one save to make against Motherwell and Falkirk? And we won both those games 2-0? That good goalkeeping didn't matter then, we would've won anyway :wink:

Absolutely brilliant in the sense of myopia! :faf: :faf:

Keep that one for the pub quizzes mate! :faf: :faf:

Judas Iscariot
30-12-2009, 09:47 AM
So after another 5 pages of debate nobody has yet told me who else in the SPL he'd get a game for :confused:

He must be that good it'd be pointless listing ALL the clubs that would fight it out over his signature :cool2:

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Bad defending from several players and not for first time.

Bad goalkeeping from Maka more and not for first time, He has not been the difference in a positive manner for us enough to allow errors. Yes he has had great games but this again swings it way too much.

I am not saying he hasnt saved us but every keeper will at some point. He has simply not done it enough to get away with goals like the 3rd. IMO the parameters have been pushed.
He saved us in the previous four games!What are you on about?

millarco
30-12-2009, 10:47 AM
So after another 5 pages of debate nobody has yet told me who else in the SPL he'd get a game for :confused:

He must be that good it'd be pointless listing ALL the clubs that would fight it out over his signature :cool2:

It's difficult to say given we don't see the other keepers every week, they could make plenty of mistakes which aren't picked up on in the highlights. From what I've seen I would have him ahead of Langfield, Ruddy, Main and Olejnic for starters, and I was undecided with Brown at Killie, Gallagher at St Mirren and Balogh/Kello at Hearts.

HFC 0-7
30-12-2009, 11:18 AM

IMO opinion he never made any saves, apart from one, than an average keeper couldnt have made. Your rationale of if he has a few mistake free games makes him a keeper we should be holding on to doesnt cut it. thats like saying Nade is great because he scores a goal every now and again.

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 11:28 AM
IMO opinion he never made any saves, apart from one, than an average keeper couldnt have made. Your rationale of if he has a few mistake free games makes him a keeper we should be holding on to doesnt cut it. thats like saying Nade is great because he scores a goal every now and again.Eddy May said..If that had been their other keeper it would have been a goal.First half at Aberdeen one that Stack difinitely wouldn't have got and another he probably wouldn't have got.Natural athlete only stop from point blank header against Motherwell.Top corner save from Kyle's header at Killie that Stack would never have got to......My rationale is based on these type of performances that I dream up!:bye:

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Eddy May said..If that had been their other keeper it would have been a goal.First half at Aberdeen one that Stack difinitely wouldn't have got and another he probably wouldn't have got.Natural athlete only stop from point blank header against Motherwell.Top corner save from Kyle's header at Killie that Stack would never have got to......My rationale is based on these type of performances that I dream up!:bye:

Aye dream on. And when your lad leaves, hopefully next week. We will get back to having Stack, or anyone else who Yogi brings in, giving us decent, safe goalkeeping, something dropsy will never be capable of doing in his life.

HFC 0-7
30-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Eddy May said..If that had been their other keeper it would have been a goal.First half at Aberdeen one that Stack difinitely wouldn't have got and another he probably wouldn't have got.Natural athlete only stop from point blank header against Motherwell.Top corner save from Kyle's header at Killie that Stack would never have got to......My rationale is based on these type of performances that I dream up!:bye:

Aye, cause Eddie May knows all. Of course its in his benefit to say the reason his team never scored was because of great saves rather than his rubbish team!

Maka makes to many mistakes - FACT!

here are some of them: -

Jan 08 - Hearts - Fumbled allowing Velicka to score

Aug 07 - Aberdeen - Missed the ball allowing Brewster to score

Aug 07 - Aberdeen - Missed a cross allowing smith to score

Jan 09 - Hearts - Was wandering around letting Nade score

Aug 09 - St Mirren - Flapped at a cross

May 09 - Aberdeen - Hit the ball off the back of miller

Dec 09 - Killie - Although a soft foul should have done better

Dec 09 - rangers - Novo beats him at near post

Dec 09 - rangers - weak hand to miller shot

This is just some of the ones resulting on goals. Now your so called great keeper makes all of these and yet he still warrants the jersey? dont think so!

Captain Trips
30-12-2009, 12:17 PM

In your opinion he did, and as I said many keepers would do the same without the errors, these were not blockbuster saves they were in the main standard stuff.

Captain Trips
30-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Aye, cause Eddie May knows all. Of course its in his benefit to say the reason his team never scored was because of great saves rather than his rubbish team!

Maka makes to many mistakes - FACT!

here are some of them: -

Jan 08 - Hearts - Fumbled allowing Velicka to score

Aug 07 - Aberdeen - Missed the ball allowing Brewster to score

Aug 07 - Aberdeen - Missed a cross allowing smith to score

Jan 09 - Hearts - Was wandering around letting Nade score

Aug 09 - St Mirren - Flapped at a cross

May 09 - Aberdeen - Hit the ball off the back of miller

Dec 09 - Killie - Although a soft foul should have done better

Dec 09 - rangers - Novo beats him at near post

Dec 09 - rangers - weak hand to miller shot

This is just some of the ones resulting on goals. Now your so called great keeper makes all of these and yet he still warrants the jersey? dont think so!

The only 1 I would dispute is Millers 2nd, the fact is it wasa rubbish finish 1 on 1 the fact he got a hand to it was not bad and was more luck than bad keeping. That aside it does not make good reading as I agree with all other points.

Captain Trips
30-12-2009, 12:33 PM

He saved us with standard saves IMO, if you want to talk about real point winners, as much as it pains me Craig Gordons save from Rob Jones header at Er a few years back think was 1-1 or 0-0 at time, it was right at end, anyone mind that?

thats the sort of thing I am looking for on occasion not every week, if you do that then you can get away with going for a wonder with Nade in the box or hitting balls off strikers. He has made saves I would expect him to make in last month.

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 01:12 PM
IMO opinion he never made any saves, apart from one, than an average keeper couldnt have made. Your rationale of if he has a few mistake free games makes him a keeper we should be holding on to doesnt cut it. thats like saying Nade is great because he scores a goal every now and again.

He saved us with standard saves IMO, if you want to talk about real point winners, as much as it pains me Craig Gordons save from Rob Jones header at Er a few years back think was 1-1 or 0-0 at time, it was right at end, anyone mind that?

thats the sort of thing I am looking for on occasion not every week, if you do that then you can get away with going for a wonder with Nade in the box or hitting balls off strikers. He has made saves I would expect him to make in last month.only two of your examples are justifiable..Not a bad record over two+ years.I really believe that the people who don't see Maka's talents are genuinely traumatized by his unusually exceptional talents.They're not used to seeing such unique athletisism and their tiny minds can't absorb what they're seeing.The Rangers game wasn't his best nut only the third goal was an issue.

Captain Trips
30-12-2009, 01:22 PM
only two of your examples are justifiable..Not a bad record over two+ years.I really believe that the people who don't see Maka's talents are genuinely traumatized by his unusually exceptional talents.They're not used to seeing such unique athletisism and their tiny minds can't absorb what they're seeing.The Rangers game wasn't his best nut only the third goal was an issue.

No trauma here, I have seen many mistakes and not enough blockbuster saves to justify errors. Im sure Craig Gordon made mistakes but he without doubt got Hearts points with saves above the standard, thus meaning he could make mistakes and survive pretty much uncritisised.

Maka has made more errors than any saves that I can recall that were match savers the balance is not good enough to allow the errors he makes. That Craig Gordon save from Jones is best save IMO I have seen at ER in years and that for me says it all about our keepers.

HFC 0-7
30-12-2009, 01:28 PM
only two of your examples are justifiable..Not a bad record over two+ years.I really believe that the people who don't see Maka's talents are genuinely traumatized by his unusually exceptional talents.They're not used to seeing such unique athletisism and their tiny minds can't absorb what they're seeing.The Rangers game wasn't his best nut only the third goal was an issue.

Thats your opinion, but I would say that you are in the minority. Do you think you know more than just about every football manager out there? If you think so highly of Maka and you were indeed correct, then why is he at hibs? Surely there would be other clubs itching to sign him. Truth is, there isnt, everyone knows that the points I have mentioned are valid and justifiable, they were his errors. Its your tiny mind that is either imagining things, or blanking out the bad parts.

The bold part is an absolute peach, 'people that cant see his talents are traumatized by his talents. Yeah, I am traumatized by his talents of dropping the ball, missing the ball, being in the wrong position and kicking the ball off of people to conceed a goal. That comment should be put in the Vault!

Once more, if Maka is as great as you make out, why are there not loads of clubs trying to sign him? Or do you know better than all scouts and managers?

Broken Gnome
30-12-2009, 01:30 PM
only two of your examples are justifiable..Not a bad record over two+ years.I really believe that the people who don't see Maka's talents are genuinely traumatized by his unusually exceptional talents.They're not used to seeing such unique athletisism and their tiny minds can't absorb what they're seeing.The Rangers game wasn't his best nut only the third goal was an issue. Out of interest, what were the two justifiable examples?

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 01:31 PM
No trauma here, I have seen many mistakes and not enough blockbuster saves to justify errors. Im sure Craig Gordon made mistakes but he without doubt got Hearts points with saves above the standard, thus meaning he could make mistakes and survive pretty much uncritisised.

Maka has made more errors than any saves that I can recall that were match savers the balance is not good enough to allow the errors he makes. That Craig Gordon save from Jones is best save IMO I have seen at ER in years and that for me says it all about our keepers.

I've given you four examples in the last five games ...It's lunacy to suggest any other goalie could have made those saves ..Apart from the Motherwell one which was a point blank save that other good keepers might also have made

Captain Trips
30-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I've given you four examples in the last five games ...It's lunacy to suggest any other goalie could have made those saves ..Apart from the Motherwell one which was a point blank save that other good keepers might also have made

No its not Lunacy, you see this can never be proved, I think saves of standard you dont.

HFC 0-7
30-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Hibs spain, again, if Maka has this ability to save shots that other keepers dont, why is there not a lot of clubs wanting to sign him?

Somehow, this is a question I think you will avoid or not answer.

EuanH78
30-12-2009, 01:39 PM

http://www.notempire.com/images/uploads/wind-up-lamp01.jpg

IMHO

Cabbage1875
30-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Hibs Spain has got to be at the wind up :faf:

It's difficult to say given we don't see the other keepers every week, they could make plenty of mistakes which aren't picked up on in the highlights. From what I've seen I would have him ahead of Langfield, Ruddy, Main and Olejnic for starters, and I was undecided with Brown at Killie, Gallagher at St Mirren and Balogh/Kello at Hearts.
As are you. I'd take every keeper there over Makalambay, and I'm not even being sensationalist there. That includes St Johnstones reserve crumbly goalkeeper Alan Main!

Perspective
30-12-2009, 02:00 PM

As are you. I'd take every keeper there over Makalambay, and I'm not even being sensationalist there. That includes St Johnstones reserve crumbly goalkeeper Alan Main!

I agree with millarco. If you watch the other teams in the SPL (even on the highlights) I've seen those listed make at least as many errors as Ma-Kalambay. It's just that they're not highlighted.

Langfield's nickname is 'Clangers', enough said. Ruddy has thrown in some howlers, Main's time is up and Olejnik is hopeless (just ask the Falkirk fans).

Cabbage1875
30-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I agree with millarco. If you watch the other teams in the SPL (even on the highlights) I've seen those listed make at least as many errors as Ma-Kalambay. It's just that they're not highlighted.

Langfield's nickname is 'Clangers', enough said. Ruddy has thrown in some howlers, Main's time is up and Olejnik is hopeless (just ask the Falkirk fans).
You have a picture of Maka as your avatar. Your comments come as no surprise really. :cool2:

Why are the other keeper's errors (as many as Maka by the way apparently) not highlighted as much as Maka's? I also think it could be widely agreed that the boy Ruddy has had a pretty impressive start to his career up here...?

Perspective
30-12-2009, 02:11 PM
You have a picture of Maka as your avatar. Your comments come as no surprise really. :cool2:

Why are the other keeper's errors (as many as Maka by the way apparently) not highlighted as much as Maka's? I also think it could be widely agreed that the boy Ruddy has had a pretty impressive start to his career up here...?

My last avatar picture was Brian Kerr. I've always had a wee thing for defending the scapegoats, particularly in this case.

It's convenient for the media to dust off the Hibs keeper crisis headlines - that's why any mistakes by those in goal are magnified.

Not saying that Maka hasn't made mistakes (I'd blame him for two of the goals on Saturday) but I maintain that he's a good keeper and a great prospect (as consecutive man-of-the-match displays against the Old Firm and Hearts at the end of last season testify).

I don't understand the school of thought that Ruddy has done really well or this talk that he's the best in the country, given the crucial mistakes he's made since he's been up here. The fact he's so far down the pecking order at Everton (behind a journeyman like Carlo Nash and the Scottish goalie Iain Turner) also says a lot for me.

But I know it's pointless to stick up for Maka. He's a divisive player and both his supporters and detractors are set in their opinion.

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Out of interest, what were the two justifiable examples?

I'd say the Nade goal and Ranger's third goal ..And even then I thought,as the passages of play were unfolding..You could see he was concious that he had to cover two options that the striker had.Forget the Aberdeen -?Millar thing

Cabbage1875
30-12-2009, 02:38 PM
My last avatar picture was Brian Kerr. I've always had a wee thing for defending the scapegoats, particularly in this case.

It's convenient for the media to dust off the Hibs keeper crisis headlines - that's why any mistakes by those in goal are magnified.

Not saying that Maka hasn't made mistakes (I'd blame him for two of the goals on Saturday) but I maintain that he's a good keeper and a great prospect (as consecutive man-of-the-match displays against the Old Firm and Hearts at the end of last season testify).

I don't understand the school of thought that Ruddy has done really well or this talk that he's the best in the country, given the crucial mistakes he's made since he's been up here. The fact he's so far down the pecking order at Everton (behind a journeyman like Carlo Nash and the Scottish goalie Iain Turner) also says a lot for me.

But I know it's pointless to stick up for Maka. He's a divisive player and both his supporters and detractors are set in their opinion.
A bit paranoid in your view here I think. Could it be that Maka's bottle crashes on many more occasions than the other keepers? Therefore he makes more mistakes?

Or is that too far fetched?

mayo hibee
30-12-2009, 02:51 PM

Difficult when you don't see them all every week but I would say -

Better than Maka:

Boruc
Zaluska
Alexander
McGregor
Stack
Brown
Gallagher
Balogh
Kello
Weaver (too early to judge his replacement)
Cerny

At a similar level to Maka:

Main
Olejnik
Ruddy
Langfield

I don't think any keepers I've seen in the SPL are significantly poorer than he is, but I've seen the last 4 make Maka-esque howlers so I'd say they're on a similar level, just that they're with lower profile teams so they're not highlighted so much.

Hibs Spain
30-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Please try and understand that three or four of the Ruddy goals of the six or whatever he lost ...Had that been Maka he would have been assassinated.

Dashing Bob S
30-12-2009, 02:55 PM

As Kerr's sternest critic, we've crossed swords on this so many times, but I agree 100% with everything you say about Maka.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Keepers who are better than Maka.

Dipsy
lala
po
salman rushdie
all them babies on the evian advert
catherine tate
rin tin ****in tin
luther van dross
bross
who gives a toss
arthur negus
blanche hunt
a can of irn bru
pans people, all of them
me
my mum
my gran
a partridge in a pear tree
zibi.

Brooster
30-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Please try and understand that three or four of the Ruddy goals of the six or whatever he lost ...Had that been Maka he would have been assassinated.

That would make me very happy.

Broken Gnome
30-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd say the Nade goal and Ranger's third goal ..And even then I thought,as the passages of play were unfolding..You could see he was concious that he had to cover two options that the striker had.Forget the Aberdeen -?Millar thing

To say that those two Aberdeen goals (it was all three goals actually) aren't justifiable examples of his mistakes is simply not on. Aberdeen's second goal that day remains the most bizarre piece of goalkeeping I've seen at Easter Road. Even more so than Tony Caig.

People clearly have vastly different views of goalkeeping on here; possibly because it's the most unique and magnified position on a football pitch. For example, I'd have presumed the way to deal with someone in Nacho Novo's position on Sunday would be to cancel out the immediate threat and let others deal with the secondary threat; maybe someone more knowledgable could prove me wrong though so it's not worth arguing about. As tempting as it is to conduct 'witchhunt' like behaviour and highlight all of his perceived errors, it would only really tap in to the strange way this debate over Makalambay has been conducted; mainly through hyperbole and stupid exaggeration on both sides.

I can see the genuinely positive and commendable, even game-changing, things that he's done. It was his brilliant piece of goalkeeping that built the platform for us to net the winner against Dundee United in Riordan's first game back; he's been outstanding on two occasions at Tynecastle and as good as any Hibs keeper I've seen in the first Scottish Cup game against Rangers in 2008.

At the same time though it's undeniable that he's committed several atrocious errors of judgement. Very few could claim to be genuine goalkeeping experts on here, but we've all seen a few good ones and several more rank-rotten ones in our time. The way I'd judge them is not by counting the errors or saves (world class or otherwise); it would be buying looking at his actions or goals conceded and thinking 'could he have done better there?'.
Simon Brown for example had a few howlers in his time, but even beyond that there were countless goals where I'd wager he could done a lot more to prevent. Makalambay is obviously a far superior keeper to Brown, but if you were to ignore the stand-out moments (both the brilliant and the ugly) I fear you'd still be left with far too many of those moments where he could have done much so better in certain situations.