PDA

View Full Version : Pacquiao vs Mayweather...

Speedy
25-12-2009, 09:50 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8430611.stm

What does everyone make of this?

Haymaker
25-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Bit strange... rather suspicious... :cool2:

sambajustice
26-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Pacman probably likes a toke on the old Ganj inbetween fights and random drug testing would scupper that!! LOL :greengrin

Speedy
26-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Pacman probably likes a toke on the old Ganj inbetween fights and random drug testing would scupper that!! LOL :greengrin

That's what I was thinking

Pretty Boy
26-12-2009, 02:05 PM
There have long been rumours about Manny using steroids/teststerone boosters and blood oxygenators early on in training camps and widing down the use ready for the pre and post fight blood tests.

Not sure i believe it and much as i love Floyd Mayweather i am pretty sure he didn't really fancy putting his 0 on the line against such a talented if overhyped boxer,

Woody1985
28-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately I don't think this fight will go ahead. :boo hoo:

sambajustice
28-12-2009, 11:58 PM
There have long been rumours about Manny using steroids/teststerone boosters and blood oxygenators early on in training camps and widing down the use ready for the pre and post fight blood tests.

Not sure i believe it and much as i love Floyd Mayweather i am pretty sure he didn't really fancy putting his 0 on the line against such a talented if overhyped boxer,

:faf:

Pretty Boy
30-12-2009, 09:56 AM
:faf:

How is Manny not being overhyped?

I follow boxing closely and have known of Manny for years but your average fan in the street looked at me blankly when i spoke about him. Suddenly these same people are hailing him the greatest fighter in the world, an all time great etc etc. He's good, very good in fact but he still has flaws and is still very beatable.

How many people on this board discussed Manny before he beat De la Hoya and Hatton?

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2009, 11:37 AM
According to radio Mayweather is lining up a fight against Hatton if the Pacquio fight is cancelled.

The pish Hatton.

Hank Schrader
30-12-2009, 11:53 AM

I follow boxing closely and have known of Manny for years but your average fan in the street looked at me blankly when i spoke about him. Suddenly these same people are hailing him the greatest fighter in the world, an all time great etc etc. He's good, very good in fact but he still has flaws and is still very beatable.

How many people on this board discussed Manny before he beat De la Hoya and Hatton?

I also follow boxing closely and would never consider Pacquiao to be overhyped. I also was well aware if him way before he fought De La Hoya and Hatton.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but to say he is overhyped is ridiculous in my eyes.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I also follow boxing closely and would never consider Pacquiao to be overhyped. I also was well aware if him way before he fought De La Hoya and Hatton.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but to say he is overhyped is ridiculous in my eyes.

I think i have worded what i am trying to say quite badly. Pacquiao is supremely talented and is at this moment the best boxer in the world. What gets me though is the descriptions of him as being unbeatable or untouchable. He is not as has been shown in the past. What annoys me is people who clearly have little boxing knowledge trying to tell me he has no flaws and any criticism of him is unwarranted. Every boxer has their flaws and IMO Manny is no exception.

Steve-O
31-12-2009, 12:10 AM
According to radio Mayweather is lining up a fight against Hatton if the Pacquio fight is cancelled.

The pish Hatton.

That would be PISH. I'd rather see Mayweather fight Khan.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2009, 10:28 AM

The pish Hatton.

I never thought i'd see the day when Matthew Hatton was being tipped to top the bill with Floyd Mayweather in Vegas.

Ricky must be some promoter right enough.

Woody1985
31-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I never thought i'd see the day when Matthew Hatton was being tipped to top the bill with Floyd Mayweather in Vegas.

Ricky must be some promoter right enough.

That story from M Hatton's mouth has to be the biggest load of pish ever. Was he not beaten in his last fight?

Floyd Vs M (or R) Hatton. :faf: :faf: :faf:

Pretty Boy
31-12-2009, 12:34 PM
That story from M Hatton's mouth has to be the biggest load of pish ever. Was he not beaten in his last fight?

Floyd Vs M (or R) Hatton. :faf: :faf: :faf:

His last fight was a draw against Lovemore N'Dou.

Now N'Dou was a decent fighter and good champion in his day but he's 38 now and a journeyman, if Matthew hatton can't beat him then he won't last a round with Floyd. Not that he deserves a shot at Floyd anyway.

At least Ricky earned his right for a chance to beat Mayweather.

Tinyclothes
31-12-2009, 12:40 PM

:agree:

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I've got a sneaky suspicion that this might all be hype to build up the fight even more.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2009, 12:43 PM
:agree:

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I've got a sneaky suspicion that this might all be hype to build up the fight even more.

Undoubtedly, there is no way Floyd will walk away from $50Million. Also i doubt his monstrous ego would allow him to walk away from a fight with a man he regards as an upstart to his rightful place as p4p number 1.

Woody1985
31-12-2009, 02:32 PM
His last fight was a draw against Lovemore N'Dou.

Now N'Dou was a decent fighter and good champion in his day but he's 38 now and a journeyman, if Matthew hatton can't beat him then he won't last a round with Floyd. Not that he deserves a shot at Floyd anyway.

At least Ricky earned his right for a chance to beat Mayweather.

I appreciate that and was all for him when he fought PBF, I was off my feet cheering when he rocked him in the first round but it just wasn't to be for him.

M Hatton shouldn't even be in the same sentence as PBF as you say.

camthebam
02-01-2010, 11:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8430611.stm

What does everyone make of this?

Floyd's scared. Simple as. He's decided his reputation's more important than money and wants an out. Fair enough. Hatton, much as I respect him too, was the last pay day FM will ever need. The guy's got enough nous to stay well clear of the hurricane that is the Pac-Man.

At his weight (lightweight or whatever the f#ck it is these days) MP is an absolute machine. Due to the nature of fighting at that weight he will, and already has been, beaten. But even Morales learnt that he won't leave that lying. And De La Hoya, one of the best ever, took one hell of a hiding.

Pound for pound I reckon the only creature that could stop Pac-Man in his tracks is the honey badger. And that's debatable.

One of the greatest boxer of my lifetime IMHO.

sambajustice
03-01-2010, 01:42 AM
That would be PISH. I'd rather see Mayweather fight Khan.

I would like to see that too so that the genuinely overhyped Khan can get his glass jaw smashed again!

Granted Khan is strong and quick but any half decent boxer with a decent dig on him would "kill im ta death, inside a tree rounds"... :agree::greengrin

At the moment there's only 2 fights to be had in world boxing

Pretty Boy vs Pac Man
Haye-maker vs "Interesting" Klitschko

IMHO of course...

Pretty Boy
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I would like to see that too so that the genuinely overhyped Khan can get his glass jaw smashed again!

Granted Khan is strong and quick but any half decent boxer with a decent dig on him would "kill im ta death, inside a tree rounds"... :agree::greengrin

At the moment there's only 2 fights to be had in world boxing

Pretty Boy vs Pac Man
Haye-maker vs "Interesting" Klitschko

IMHO of course...

Add Israel Vasquez v Ivan Calderon at super bantamweight to that list and your not far wrong.

IWasThere2016
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Mayweather ****ting himsel' and trying to reverse out of a very possible defeat IMHO.

Woody1985
07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately I don't think this fight will go ahead. :boo hoo:

Fight's been called off....

Pacman won't take the tests. PBF ****ting himself, prob doesn't want a scratch on those veneers.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Such a shame as this was a great chance for boxing to put itself in the limelight again.

I think Mayweather has to take a long, hard look at himself with regards to this, he is undoubtedly a talented boxer but really needs to take on another top fighter soon.

Manny has left a lot of questions hanging with this one though, there is clear footage on an HBO 24/7 show of him giving blood only 3 days before the De La Hoya fight, why he is saying he can't give blood so close to a fight now is questionable?

For what it's worth i had Mayweather winning this fight by a close unanimous decision. Manny has a come forward style and likes to throw a lot of punches, this inevitably leaves him open to counterpunching, an art at which Floyd is the master (just ask Hatton and Gatti). Because of their similar hand and foot speeds i would have seen floyd winning it with his natural athleticism and more composed, pure boxing style.

Shame we will never know now.

Woody1985
07-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Such a shame as this was a great chance for boxing to put itself in the limelight again.

I think Mayweather has to take a long, hard look at himself with regards to this, he is undoubtedly a talented boxer but really needs to take on another top fighter soon.

Manny has left a lot of questions hanging with this one though, there is clear footage on an HBO 24/7 show of him giving blood only 3 days before the De La Hoya fight, why he is saying he can't give blood so close to a fight now is questionable?

For what it's worth i had Mayweather winning this fight by a close unanimous decision. Manny has a come forward style and likes to throw a lot of punches, this inevitably leaves him open to counterpunching, an art at which Floyd is the master (just ask Hatton and Gatti). Because of their similar hand and foot speeds i would have seen floyd winning it with his natural athleticism and more composed, pure boxing style.

I agree with all of the post with the exception of the part in bold.

There is no point in him fighting anyone else. There's only one fight we all want to see and that will forever tarnish his reputation.

In relation to MP, I think it's probably more principle than anything. If you are currently the best P4P in the world and you are about to face another fighter, who happens to be the previous P4P boxer would you really start bowing to their demands to show you are not a cheat? I would certainly tell them to GTF.

I once read a number of years ago that MP has never been interested in titles, clean records or the money and his only desire is to fight the best fighters there is. PBF doesn't have those same principles.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Some interesting words here from Maweather. This is getting so complicated and downright pathetic it's hard to know who to believe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8447807.stm

Woody1985
08-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Some interesting words here from Maweather. This is getting so complicated and downright pathetic it's hard to know who to believe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8447807.stm

Murky waters indeed.

The only thing I can't get my head round is why MP would try to duck FM (it could be seen as ducking him by refusing to take the tests) :confused:

MP has stood toe to toe and took some poundings, it's not likely that he would be involved in that type of fight and therefore unlikely to take a beating (the only thing I can think of a fighter backing out for other than money and record, neither of which MP has to worry about).

My opinion is still that FM should drop the claims for dope tests and fight him like a man. However, you could understand if he feels there is a potential to get beat by someone using drugs and tarnish his record.

I still think that PBFs record is the main thing in all this. He thinks he's going down as one of the greatest ever. He could if he fights pacman. If he doesn't, he'll be noted as a great fighter but didn't go that extra mile to prove it. All IMO of course.

Stalemate.

Pair of pricks. If this doesn't go ahead I think I'd lose interest in both of them (not that they'd care).

One thing that does interest me though is that you mentioned that MP took a test before the ODLH fight. Were the same doping concerns raised at that time? I presume so.

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Agree with your prognosis. I think Mayweather would frustrate Pacman and win on points.

Pro boxing just got even sleazier and more corrupt and less credible, if that's possible.

The UFC organisers must be laughing bigtime.

Pretty Boy
09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Murky waters indeed.

The only thing I can't get my head round is why MP would try to duck FM (it could be seen as ducking him by refusing to take the tests) :confused:

MP has stood toe to toe and took some poundings, it's not likely that he would be involved in that type of fight and therefore unlikely to take a beating (the only thing I can think of a fighter backing out for other than money and record, neither of which MP has to worry about).

My opinion is still that FM should drop the claims for dope tests and fight him like a man. However, you could understand if he feels there is a potential to get beat by someone using drugs and tarnish his record.

I still think that PBFs record is the main thing in all this. He thinks he's going down as one of the greatest ever. He could if he fights pacman. If he doesn't, he'll be noted as a great fighter but didn't go that extra mile to prove it. All IMO of course.

Stalemate.

Pair of pricks. If this doesn't go ahead I think I'd lose interest in both of them (not that they'd care).

One thing that does interest me though is that you mentioned that MP took a test before the ODLH fight. Were the same doping concerns raised at that time? I presume so.

There has been rumours around Manny for a while within some boxing circles, personally i think it's nonsense but nasty rumours to be around someone nonethless. The blood test before the De La Hoya fight might not have been a drug test but there was definitely a clear view of Manny having a needle removed and blood being seen in a test tube.

Personally i think Floyd is trying to stir things up by demanding the tests however it is a wake up call as the drug testing in boxing is so far out of touch with other sports it's unreal. Any sport in the 21st century should have reasonable random dope testing in the lead up to competition.

Anyway it looks like Manny has agreed to fight Joshua Clottey in March instead now so it looks like that is that for now.

hibsdaft
12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
rumour i read yesterday was that PBF is trying to delay the fight as he is not 100%, problem with one of his hands apparently.

March 13 was always going to be too soon imo

PBF on points, split decision when it happens :agree: