PDA

View Full Version : Levein shows the welcome mat to Driver

Toaods
25-12-2009, 12:16 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8430051.stm

shock, who will be next Mikey the midfield dynamo...:dizzy:

Hainan Hibs
25-12-2009, 12:20 AM
"I will talk to every club in England at the top two levels and see if they have any player - from seniors to youths - with a Scottish granny," said the former Hearts defender.

Now, I'm not influenced by a bottle of wine, but **** off you hearts *******:grr:

iwasthere1972
25-12-2009, 12:22 AM
What nationality is Zemmama's granny? :cool2:

Hibbyradge
25-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Are you really having a go at him after less than one day?

Future17
25-12-2009, 02:36 AM

Are you really surprised? :greengrin

CB_NO3
25-12-2009, 03:38 AM
To be fair, take your green tinted glasses off, Driver would be a great player for Scotland.

Hfc_Since1875
25-12-2009, 04:02 AM
tbh driver would b great for scotland!
and as much as i hate to say it......barry the crab has done a good job for birmingham and imho shoukd be considered!
boyd however....GTF:bye:

PaulSmith
25-12-2009, 09:11 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/8430051.stm

shock, who will be next Mikey the midfield dynamo...:dizzy:

Levein pick Mikey Stewart... they can't even stand to be in the same room as each other.

Hainan Hibs
25-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I've got no green tinted glasses on, Andrew Driver is English.

I'd rather we failed and had some respect for ourselves than whore out the places to "anybody with a scottish granny" and qualify for a tournament with a team of players who want the cap only because they are too pish for their own country.

Hibbyradge
25-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I've got no green tinted glasses on, Andrew Driver is English.

I'd rather we failed and had some respect for ourselves than whore out the places to "anybody with a scottish granny" and qualify for a tournament with a team of players who want the cap only because they are too pish for their own country.

Yeah, I remember feeling full of self respect when the Norwegian fans standing next to me started to laugh after they scored their fourth.

The self respect was fairly prominent in Amsterdam too.

I wasn't there, but I guess it must have been similar in Japan etc etc.

Far better being PURE, than successful.

I'd wager that French football fans and players can hardly live with themselves after winning the World Cup in 1998 with a team full of African, Armenian, Sengalese and Algerian born players.

Hainan Hibs
25-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I remember feeling full of self respect when the Norwegian fans standing next to me started to laugh after they scored their fourth.

The self respect was fairly prominent in Amsterdam too.

I wasn't there, but I guess it must have been similar in Japan etc etc.

Far better being PURE, than successful.

I'd wager that French football fans and players can hardly live with themselves after winning the World Cu in 1998 witha team full of African and Algerian born players.

I was going to come back with a smart arse answer myself, but as it's Xmas day, I'll go with a

PRICK.

Hibbyradge
25-12-2009, 10:21 AM
That's way out of order.

ronaldo7
25-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Come on guys.....CHILL IT'S CHRISTMAS:thumbsup:

KWJ
25-12-2009, 10:29 AM
aye, no worth it though. His debating tactics are clearly somewhat limited.

Driver could sit on the bench I reckon as we have slightly better ahead of him in Faddy.

KWJ
25-12-2009, 10:30 AM
And Driver or Deeks.... :wink:

ronaldo7
25-12-2009, 10:32 AM
And Driver or Deeks.... :wink:

Faddy and Deeks are better than Driver imo

CropleyWasGod
25-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I was going to come back with a smart arse answer myself, but as it's Xmas day, I'll go with a

PRICK.

Before your post (and probably this reply) gets deleted, I would suggest that you go with your own. :greengrin

Merry Christmas xx

Wembley67
25-12-2009, 10:36 AM

PRICK.

That's way out of order.

:notworthy:
:greengrin

500miles
25-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm doubtful of Driver's abilities.That said, it's difficult to say what he would be like in a better footballing environment.

Has he been in Scotland long enough to be considered a naturalised Scot? Well that's something you'd have to ask the player himself. It shouldn't be about bloodlines, or purity of blood - that's all a lot of out-dated nonsense IMO. I'd rather have someone who grew up in Scotland, is part of our culture, and is as happy to live here as the TA are, rather than someone who's gran and grandad came from here, but who has never set foot in the country.

Sandy
25-12-2009, 10:42 AM

PRICK.

I hope you are p1ssed mate, if not that is well out of order :bitchy:

snooky
25-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Okay, I'll say it before someone else does

Screw Driver :greengrin .... and a Cherry Mismas to all!

Thestylishkid
25-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Where does that leave Steven Fletcher in all this?

Since his dad was as English as a rose and he lived there for the first 10 years of his life?

Genuine question. Just want to know if the people who only want true Scots playing for the national team accept him or not?

Personally, I don't reeeeally have a problem with anyone playing for us that is eligible and good enough. Sometimes it's a bit embarrassing when we're picking lower league English players who are, essentially, pish but scored a few goals for their club. I'm not gonna say we shouldn't tho cos obviously there is the potential for a Championship player to be fantastic for Scotland. Like that James Morrisson lad. Think he's a top player.

You won't get anywhere without a bit of pragmatism. As the man above said, look at France!

And as for the name calling...no need mate, simple as that.

johnrebus
25-12-2009, 12:15 PM

PRICK.

If you are'nt already sitting in a paddy field up to your oxters, then you really should be.

Might cool you down a bit.........,

:bitchy:

MSK
25-12-2009, 12:28 PM

PRICK.Drunk & being a keyboard hardman at Christmas ...way tae go eh !!! :crazy:

woody47
25-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't know why people care where someone was born. If they are passionate about playing for that country I don't give a monkey's if they were born on Mars.
Would be interested to see how many "nationalised" players are playing for countries that were not their or their parents' birth places. Should they be restricted to only be able to play for their coutry of birth which if I remember used to be the score years ago.
Rules will keep changing until it is up to the player who he wants to play with so as long as his allegience is just for that country I do not see the problem.

500miles
25-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Drunk & being a keyboard hardman at Christmas ...way tae go eh !!! :crazy:

To be fair he has a point. If it was a team full of Matt Elliot-type-Scottish connections, then what's the point in having a NATIONAL team? Driver spent a good deal of his youth here, and the young boy at Celtic has made Scotland his permanant home, and no doubt has more knowledge of life here than where he was born.

Quite frankly, if we just started picking up players from all over globe with the most faint connection to our country, it becomes little more than a club team IMO, which I would have absolutely no time for.

--------
25-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Why waste time getting struck into the guy? He played for Hearts, so he must be fair game.

IIRC England had no qualms about picking Joe Baker all those years ago, in spite of his Scots blood and the fact that he'd lived all but the first 6 weeks of his life in Scotland. Di Stefano played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain, too. Puskas eventually played 4 games for Spain after being capped for Hungary 85 times. (Now THERE's a front three to dream about!)

Driver's a more than decent player, just 22 years old. He plays in Scotland (though not exactly for a Scottish team) and if Levein can persuade him to commit to Scotland, fair enough IMO. A respectable Scotland team qualifying for the later stages of the WC and Euros will encourage youngsters to come into the game, surely?

A new manager means a clean sheet for everyone, too. Or it should, IMO.

BroxburnHibee
25-12-2009, 02:22 PM
To be fair he has a point. If it was a team full of Matt Elliot-type-Scottish connections, then what's the point in having a NATIONAL team? Driver spent a good deal of his youth here, and the young boy at Celtic has made Scotland his permanant home, and no doubt has more knowledge of life here than where he was born.

Quite frankly, if we just started picking up players from all over globe with the most faint connection to our country, it becomes little more than a club team IMO, which I would have absolutely no time for.

I'm afraid his point was lost within the personal abuse...........

Lucky he's still here if you ask me.

caithnesshibee
25-12-2009, 02:30 PM
My thoughts are..... Is Driver actually good enough to play for Scotland? I couldnt care less if he is English, If he gave his all for the cause that would be enough for me. The thing that gets me is nobody seemed to care about McCall and Goram being "English" same goes for Fletch as another poster pointed out.

All I can really remember about Driver is he struggled badly against DVZ, not the sign off a player of international calibre IMHO. When it all comes down to it, I would rather a functional and successfull national team. If that means calling up Driver and such like... so be it. If the guy is good enough get him in.

RickyS
25-12-2009, 05:56 PM

nacho novo anyone?

Ed De Gramo
25-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Just seems to be going down the same route as past managers....:bitchy:

Fresh start :faf:

CropleyWasGod
25-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Just seems to be going down the same route as past managers....:bitchy:

Fresh start :faf:

How long's he had the job... 5 days? Bit early for the backlash, no?

Ed De Gramo
25-12-2009, 10:28 PM
How long's he had the job... 5 days? Bit early for the backlash, no?

True....but then talking about Scottish Grannies at an early stage isn't exactly what Scotland fans wanna hear....(unless he's got some mad fetish :greengrin)

CropleyWasGod
25-12-2009, 10:31 PM
True....but then talking about Scottish Grannies at an early stage isn't exactly what Scotland fans wanna hear....(unless he's got some mad fetish :greengrin)

Not sure that that's the case. I think Scottish fans want to hear that he's putting the best possible team on the park, with reservations about Ferguson et al.

Toaods
25-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Craig Conway for the Hall of Fame anyone??

That'll be the day I give up.

500miles
26-12-2009, 01:49 AM
nacho novo anyone?

Novo didn't spend any of his teenage or childhood years in Scotland as far as I'm aware. Yeah, he's kicked around these parts for a long time in football terms, but in life terms?

blackhibee
26-12-2009, 02:25 AM
I think the pretty unique situation of the UK makes the Driver choice a difficult one. Examples have been given of players in the past, and in the present day who play for countries that are not the ones they were born in. But many of them, as far as I'm aware, have taken out citizenship of the particular country that they have chosen to play for, making it totally legitimate. In the UK,in comparison,an English player playing for Scotland might not seem such a big deal. But I do have to wonder if the quality of the player is the only reason why people think he should play for Scotland, just because he happens to play in the SPL. It would also be interesting to note if most people who think Driver should play for Scotland also felt the same way when Nigel Spackman was widely touted in the same regard. Just a thought or 2.

Lucius Apuleius
26-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Anyone who is eligible to play for Scotland under FIFA rules should be considered if they are good enough.

Mibbes Aye
26-12-2009, 05:39 AM
I think the pretty unique situation of the UK makes the Driver choice a difficult one. Examples have been given of players in the past, and in the present day who play for countries that are not the ones they were born in. But many of them, as far as I'm aware, have taken out citizenship of the particular country that they have chosen to play for, making it totally legitimate. In the UK,in comparison,an English player playing for Scotland might not seem such a big deal. But I do have to wonder if the quality of the player is the only reason why people think he should play for Scotland, just because he happens to play in the SPL. It would also be interesting to note if most people who think Driver should play for Scotland also felt the same way when Nigel Spackman was widely touted in the same regard. Just a thought or 2.

I only vaguely remember Spackman, let alone him potentially playing for Scotland :greengrin. If he could do a job then he should have been given a shirt (could we have got Mark Falco though? :greengrin).

Agree that we seem to have a different view here in the UK from elsewhere - wonder how Croatians feel about Eduardo? He came to their country from Brazil when he was sixteen, took their nationality and currently has a record of around twenty goals in thirty games for the country........

Mibbes Aye
26-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Anyone who is eligible to play for Scotland under FIFA rules should be considered if they are good enough.

:agree:

The more it goes on, the more we get into these debates.

All they do is highlight how nationality is defined very differently by everybody. And how every argument as to what constitutes "being Scottish" can be picked apart.

Would gladly get rid of international football (although I would miss Brazil, when they're on form; and I would miss the concept of England and the hype and the build-up and the hubris that seems to accompany them :greengrin

hibiedude
26-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Andy Driver is a great player and He would be a first class choice for SCOTLAND

Wembley67
26-12-2009, 09:12 AM
andy driver is not a great player he is a mediocre player in a rubbish team so he stands out.

ronaldo7
26-12-2009, 09:29 AM
andy driver is not a great player he is a mediocre player in a rubbish team so he stands out.

:agree: He's had half a reasonable season and has not set the heather on fire for a while now (injuries apart), he's a mediocre player in a wide left position of a 5 man midfield with acres of space to work in going forward as no other yams are in front of him. He gets the ball and runs...that's it. He will occasionally get the ball across from the wings and has scored a few goals, not many.

He's been bumped up the yam transfer ladder as nobody of importance is left.

We already have better on the left side for Scotland in Deeks and Faddy imo

hibiedude
26-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Levein wants Driver for Scotland so it dosen't matter what you and I think does it really. :wink:

KWJ
26-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Having listened to Levein he's clearly saying he simply wants every player to be available and he'll check them out and speak with them.

Seems fair enough to me. Have to say though, don't see Speccy being a big fan of Deeks.

One Day
26-12-2009, 10:13 PM

Thats it in a nutshell

mad giraffe
27-12-2009, 06:55 AM
i dont think drivers tall enough for levien.
kyle, webster etc are bankers for call ups now.