PDA

View Full Version : FC Liege 1-0 Hibernian

Kaiser_Sauzee
24-12-2009, 06:09 PM
What a goal to lose to though. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OuGICi5GE&feature=related)

Anyone there to see it?

HibbyAndy
24-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I was there. Haloween 1989 .

glenn6270
24-12-2009, 06:15 PM
i was there cracking trip

roc1
24-12-2009, 06:19 PM
was there too. crazy journey in a minivan! straight there and straight back.
not recommended but was a lot fun

jodjam
24-12-2009, 06:24 PM
aye i was there, gutted. Lad hit it with his wrong foot too.

Baldy Foghorn
24-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah I was there, travelled by coach, Beastie Bus......

glenn6270
24-12-2009, 06:41 PM
i was there cracking trip

judas
24-12-2009, 06:43 PM
My vague recollection was that Mcginlay scored a legitimate goal that was ruled offside.

We took a great support there.

fiolex1
24-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I was there with my big inflatable banana:agree:

Went with the Bonnyrigg bus that left the Unicorn at Dalkeith

scoopyboy
24-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Was my first trip abroad with Hibs and possibly the funniest.

Hired a crew van from Tranent, drove to Felixstowe. Ferry to Zeebrugge then train to Brussels.

Got accomodation in Brussels then train to Liege.

Thing about the goal is the guy wouldn't have shot if Gareth Evans hadn't closed him down so quickly. Goram reckoned the player shot just to make sure he didn't lose possesion.

ronaldo7
24-12-2009, 06:58 PM
We were there...Four of us drove to Dover and across on the Ferry, no accommodation booked but we got a nice wee pad to crash in.

Fantastic trip made all the better by the Scotch ale on draught.:party::cheers::partyhibb

the happy hibee
24-12-2009, 07:17 PM
My vague recollection was that Mcginlay scored a legitimate goal that was ruled offside.

We took a great support there.

your are correct it was never offside, i was there getting ready for penalties till that happened, great performance that night.:notworthy:

hiberactive
24-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I was there,Liege was a dump and you had to be aware-excellent hibs support.

HibbyAndy
24-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I was there with my big inflatable banana:agree:

Went with the Bonnyrigg bus that left the Unicorn at Dalkeith

****in ell ive had a few scraps in that place!..do they still give out free stovies to the pool team tho :thumbsup::thumbsup:

scott7_0(Prague)
24-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Aye, was there. 15years old and messy,

was staying in a hotel that was circular and hollow down the middle, some guys ended up playing football in the middle of it... good trip.

Mac
24-12-2009, 08:34 PM
a great trip indeed.

remember waking up in a park as couldnt remember where the hotel was only to realise there were about 50 other bodies wearing hibs top there too :faf:

got interviewd by a very young Jim White in the Steve Davis snooker club when i picked up my stuff from the travel agent at elm row.

if i remember correctly the boy who scored later wanted to join Hibs, also remember a few car loads of boys jumping oot and batting a few Hibbies around the centre of Brussel's.:grr:

Jamesie
24-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Would love to have been there. My generation of Hibbys has grown up accustomed to being able to jump on a flight to Brussels for about £5 and barely have to show a passport, booking a hotel on the net in advance. Was no doubt a lot different 20 years ago!

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Magic trip. it was freaky just how close The Herald of Free Enterprise was to the shore.

the happy hibee
24-12-2009, 09:29 PM
your are correct it was never offside, i was there getting ready for penalties till that happened, great performance that night.:notworthy:
From happy hibee son colin! I wasni there and i still havent forgiven my dad for not taking me :grr: :greengrin!

Hibby Bairn
24-12-2009, 09:58 PM
FIFA Bar right outside the ground. Swathed in green and white. Magic sing song.

fatbloke
24-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I was there went wi lothians Travel fi Musselburgh. I remem......Sorry guys and gals if you don't mind I will consult my legal representative before going any further. I've just been reminded what goes on tour stays on tour.

RIP Alex Cairns and others who went on that trip, now sadly no longer with us..

King Paddy
24-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes i was at that match. A goal fit to win any game, but we were very unlucky to lose in extra time.

ronaldo7
25-12-2009, 09:21 AM
FIFA Bar right outside the ground. Swathed in green and white. Magic sing song.

That bar was magic. We were behind the bar serving drinks and the lassie just told us to get on with it. All beer paid for too. Guys singing on the bar

We went back after the match and when we left at the end of the evening they made a guard of honour for us as we left to great applause.

The trip back was dreadful though, up to the ferry port and through Ingurlund with a severe hangover.

Fantastic trip though:thumbsup:

MyresideHibby
25-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Good trip but not as much fun as going to Hungary for the Videoton game!

jarre1875
25-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Quality trip. Went wi a bus fi tollcross, :thumbsup:

Forza Fred
25-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I wasn't there, but remember reading a post form someone who ws there who spoke to Andy Goram after the game, and Goram said he thought he should have saved the shot.

Nobody else did, but that's what he reckoned apparently.

Green_one
25-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Great trip, terrible journey, v v drunk. Recollections limited, apart from feeling awful the following day. I blame the beer.

All too limited experience. Following Hibs in Europe woudl not exactly cost a lot of money. Fortunately, I could not make the Athens trip. :greengrin

jodjam
25-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Would love to have been there. My generation of Hibbys has grown up accustomed to being able to jump on a flight to Brussels for about £5 and barely have to show a passport, booking a hotel on the net in advance. Was no doubt a lot different 20 years ago!

Aye you are correct. Had taken train to Hungary in previous round so went by bus to this one, ariving morning of game and straight back after. Thinking was if we made it thru i saved some money and work holidays for the next round. Someone may correct me but i'm sure they got PSG in the next round. That would have been a great trip.

Mind might be playing tricks but did we not take just shy of 2k to Liege.

oldbutdim
25-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I was there but the two trips to Belgium have sort of blurred into one.....

:confused:

JIm
25-12-2009, 07:04 PM
How many folk were their? Hibs supports looks massive! Sadly i was too young! next year though ;):thumbsup:

scott7_0(Prague)
25-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Me too, ferry dover, 1 night in Brussels and straight hame after the game!

SANH 1875
25-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Went with 2 boys from work on ****ty bus. Bog broke down before we hit England. Spewed on ferry over but once in Ostend it was magic. Liege ground reminded me a bit of old Tannadice, big terrace 70s style. Great hibs support and game we should have won over 2 legs. First trip abroad to see hibs but has to be said Anderlecht trip was better.

S

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Didn't Graham Mitchell miss a penalty in the first game? If we had played away, the same way we played in Hungary it would have been different.

Davy Mac
26-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Worked in the travel industry at that time and we flew Edinburgh/Heathrow/Brussels (business class:wink:) and unbeknowing to us we stayed in the same hotel as the team.

Unbelieveable trip although marred by extremely hostile locals.

Went to Anderlecht as well and I do remember the sing song whilst having a few refreshemnts in the Grand Platz right enough......:greengrin:greengrin

These trips were not for the faint hearted.

lucky
26-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Great trip my first ever Hibs away in Europe. Hibs had around 2500. fantastic day in Brussels then up to liege

Kaiser_Sauzee
26-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Didn't Graham Mitchell miss a penalty in the first game? If we had played away, the same way we played in Hungary it would have been different.

It was Keith Houchen that missed the penalty in the first leg. Graham Mitchell scored with a header in the first round first leg against Videoton.

Basildon Hibs
26-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I was there. Living in London at the time; made my own way over and met my mates in Liege. After the game a Belgian bloke gave us a lift to the town centre where we walked into a bar and Kano, Goram etc. were getting tanked into the Belgian beer. !!:greengrin

majorhibs
26-12-2009, 09:06 PM

I wasn't there, but remember reading a post form someone who ws there who spoke to Andy Goram after the game, and Goram said he thought he should have saved the shot.

Nobody else did, but that's what he reckoned apparently.

Went with the 4 buses that left from tolcross, what was the travel agents? Bus down was good, coming back was fine till we run out of alcohol about manchester and the driver wasnae for stopping to get some mair!
Goram, before he became a fat, bigoted hun idiot, was an unbelievable keeper for Hibs, mind he was still an athlete then and no a wee norn ireland loyalist loving tube, on the night he looked unbeatable, even though Miller played the wrong team outfield, and although I dont want to see the goal again as its still a painful memory, Goram for Hibs then, in his 4 years wi us, is the best Hibs keeper I've seen, going back to 75.

scott7_0(Prague)
27-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Went with the 4 buses that left from tolcross, what was the travel agents?

I want to say Sibbald Travel?

I went with my brother, great trip, we got offered to buy a baby in the square by a gypsey, chased by some Belgium fannies and ended up at the teams hotel in the piano bar drinking champers.

Peevemor
27-12-2009, 07:55 AM
I went with one of 5 buses that left from Wavereley Bridge, organised by Sphere Travel.

A few points I remember -

They had to close the bar on the ferry to restock it after it had only been open about 30 minutes.
The number of police and dog handlers around the ground.
The rival supporters swapping scarves before, during and after the match.
Belgian police wearing Hibs scarves inside the ground.
Most of the police presence dissappearing by half time.

scott7_0(Prague)
27-12-2009, 07:57 AM
I went with one of 5 buses that left from Wavereley Bridge, organised by Sphere Travel.

A few points I remember -

They had to close the bar on the ferry to restock it after it had only been open about 30 minutes.
The number of police and dog handlers around the ground.
The rival supporters swapping scarves before, during and after the match.
Belgian police wearing Hibs scarves inside the ground.
Most of the police presence dissappearing by half time.

I also remember Liege fans buying Hibs fans beer as we had none in our end, ans the brass band playing some Hibs songs at the end of the game..

erin go bragh
27-12-2009, 08:31 AM
****in ell ive had a few scraps in that place!..do they still give out free stovies to the pool team tho :thumbsup::thumbsup:
its been closed for a couple of years now