PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Coast player allowed to play for West Brom on Monday

rainman
24-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Missed his name but he's been allowed to stay in England to play for West Brom on MONDAY!!

WTF?

Baw187
24-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Missed his name but he's been allowed to stay in England to play for West Brom on MONDAY!!

WTF?

Yogi should go mental and have someone who's full time job it is to track down the IC manager and force him in to allowing Sol to stay.

Fife-Hibee
24-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Absolute disgrace' if this true.:grr:

aussie_hibee
24-12-2009, 01:36 PM
what a joke. Hopefully yogi will sort it.

Broken Gnome
24-12-2009, 01:38 PM
The SPL's insignificance showing itself?

vla_di_vla
24-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Im thinking big Sol could have stayed if he'd really wanted to

Baw187
24-12-2009, 01:58 PM

I don't think Sol wants to do anything that'll rock the boat for his country for fear of losing his place for the World Cup.

Wouldn't say he doesn't want to stay, just that he doesn't want to cause any hassle or be seen to be causing trouble.

CapitalHibs
24-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't think Sol wants to do anything that'll rock the boat for his country for fear of losing his place for the World Cup.

Wouldn't say he doesn't want to stay, just that he doesn't want to cause any hassle or be seen to be causing trouble.

Says here that Sol asked the IC permission to play against the huns.

Hughes said he had tried everything he could to secure Bamba's release, while the player himself also made a personal plea to Ivory Coast coach Vahid Halilhodzic.

"He certainly expressed his views to the manager that he wanted to come and play – he's desperate to play against Rangers," said Hughes, who nevertheless wished Bamba all the best in January. "Obviously, I think they've got a real opportunity to go and win it, so he could be away as long as five, six weeks."

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-fears-one-rule.5933655.jp

jabis
24-12-2009, 02:29 PM

And I'm thinking the IC probably want all the main players to arrive ASAP.

Part/Time Supporter
24-12-2009, 02:32 PM

WTF?

Meite allowed to play for WBA against Scunthorpe on Mon 28th (http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1785_5797748,00.html)

I kind of half expected Drogba and one or two others to bend the rules a bit, but for a squad player to get that concession is a joke.

wee 162
24-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Don't know the thinking behind this tbh when Chelsea have had to release their players...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article6966894.ece

Chelsea are facing a striker shortage for the crucial Christmas programme after Carlo Ancelotti confirmed yesterday that he has given permission for Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou to attend Ivory Coast’s African Cup of Nations training camp on Sunday.

Could it be the first choice players are the ones that they want there as early as possible?

joe breezy
24-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Aye, Chelsea have lost their key players so no sure we can moan about the Baggies.

Probably only the best teams players their after...

Baw187
24-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Says here that Sol asked the IC permission to play against the huns.

Hughes said he had tried everything he could to secure Bamba's release, while the player himself also made a personal plea to Ivory Coast coach Vahid Halilhodzic.

"He certainly expressed his views to the manager that he wanted to come and play – he's desperate to play against Rangers," said Hughes, who nevertheless wished Bamba all the best in January. "Obviously, I think they've got a real opportunity to go and win it, so he could be away as long as five, six weeks."

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-fears-one-rule.5933655.jp

Couldn't say for certain but as desperate as Sol is / was to play against the Huns, I doubt he'll have went overboard with his pleading for fear of causing Barney Rubble for himself.

I envisgage it going something a bit like this:

Sol - 'Coach, can I hang back a day and play for the Super Hibees against the Glasgow cretins?'

Coach - 'Nut'

Sol - 'Ok coach, nae bother'

As oppose to:

Sol - 'Coach, I really want to hang back a day and play for the Super Hibees against the Glasgow cretins. Can you let me stay? PLease, pretty, please wi a cherry on top.'

Coach - 'Nut'

Sol - 'Awww going sir, please let me stay.... I'll be yer best pal???'

Coach - 'Away and sniff ma baws, Sol. Yer no staying'

Sol - 'Aaawww that's no fair boss. That big erse Meiti is getting to stay.. why no me???'

Coach - hangs up.

The Green Goblin
24-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Don't know the thinking behind this tbh when Chelsea have had to release their players...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article6966894.ece

Could it be the first choice players are the ones that they want there as early as possible?

Well, the interesting thing about the bit you quoted, was that it said Ancelotti "had given them his permission" to attend the IC training camp. Did any other UK-based manager have any such choice in the matter? I was under the impression they didn`t have any choice.

GG

Billychaotic182
24-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe the player is not in the starting 11 like sol and Drogba?

stubru59
24-12-2009, 03:30 PM
The rule should apply right across the board. Whose in the starting eleven ought to be immaterial.

Otherwise we could have a situation in which some teams are weakened whilst others carry on unaffected.

givescotlandfreedom
24-12-2009, 06:59 PM
The SPL's insignificance showing itself?

It would be sad if that's the case. There's not much chance of west brom challenging for a champions league place.

Silver Fox
24-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The rule should apply right across the board. Whose in the starting eleven ought to be immaterial.

Otherwise we could have a situation in which some teams are weakened whilst others carry on unaffected.

Thats what is reportedly happening, Hibs are weakend without Sol and WBA are allowed to carry on with Meite, isn't it? :greengrin or maybe you mean in the same league.

NOLA
24-12-2009, 07:44 PM
i thought sol only got a game when there was an injury to the 1st pick CB's?

Toaods
24-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't see what the problem is....Sol is playing top tier football in a foreign land and Meite isn't...:cool2:

gorgie_harp
24-12-2009, 11:10 PM

:top marks:agree:

--------
25-12-2009, 12:33 PM
i thought sol only got a game when there was an injury to the 1st pick CB's?

Sol has been a regular in the back four for the past few games. It's understandable that he wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardise that situation - pity some Scottish players didn't have the same attitude to their national team. And it's also understandable that the coach should want to be sure of his first picks, more than his back-up players.

The problem is that (a) the ANC is an annual tournament, unlike the WC and Euro Championships which are every four years; and (b) it's played in January. I really don't see why it shouldn't be played in the summer, once every four years like the other major international tournaments.

The fact that Drogba and the other big-name players haven't been allowed any leeway suggests that the coach isn't messing Hibs around - it suggests that he looks on Sol as one of those 'big-name' players as well.

Edit: Meite's a centre-back, so he's in direct competition with Sol for that place.

joejoefaemexico
25-12-2009, 08:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/8429474.stm

''Drogba and Kalou will be available for Chelsea's visit to Birmingham on Boxing Day but the following day they fly out to join up with the Ivory Coast's training camp - two weeks before the tournament beings on 10 January.''

appreciate sol's position in regrads to wanting to keep in the boss's good book with the WC coming up but dissapointed something coulnt have been done about it. anyway, no point crying over spilt milk.

CropleyWasGod
25-12-2009, 08:04 PM
The problem is that (a) the ANC is an annual tournament, unlike the WC and Euro Championships which are every four years; .

It's every 2 years, Doddie.

LancashireHibby
25-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Having been subjected to the footballing horror show that is Abdoulaye Meite while he was at Bolton, the Ivory Coast have probably told him that he can play for WBA the following week as well, if he wants.:wink:

Mibbes Aye
26-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Sol has been a regular in the back four for the past few games. It's understandable that he wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardise that situation - pity some Scottish players didn't have the same attitude to their national team. And it's also understandable that the coach should want to be sure of his first picks, more than his back-up players.

The problem is that (a) the ANC is an annual tournament, unlike the WC and Euro Championships which are every four years; and (b) it's played in January. I really don't see why it shouldn't be played in the summer, once every four years like the other major international tournaments.

The fact that Drogba and the other big-name players haven't been allowed any leeway suggests that the coach isn't messing Hibs around - it suggests that he looks on Sol as one of those 'big-name' players as well.

Edit: Meite's a centre-back, so he's in direct competition with Sol for that place.

Strange thing with the ANC, it does seems like it's every year :greengrin.

My guess is there are a couple of reasons for the January scheduling - IIRC (and I may have this wrong), if it was played in June/July/August then it would militate against countries hosting it unless they were from the very north or very south.

I assume a scheduling early in the calendar year allows the vast majority of the continent to be considered as a host nation, climate-wise, which does seems fair enough.

The other reason for sticking with early in the new year, I suspect, is an aversion to giving in (or being seen to be giving in) to the pressure that may have been applied by European clubs (and I believe the French clubs are hit the hardest) to shift the competition.

The ANC predates the European Championship as a tournament, so it's not like it's something new, and they've been playing it biennially since the sixties. This isn't the place for a treatise on post-colonialism, nor is it the place for crude analogies (not that that's ever stopped me) but I wonder what the reaction would be here if we had some sort of tournament that made English clubs complain about what Scotland was doing. I imagine popular sentiment would be to tell them to GTF?

Brooster
26-12-2009, 08:00 AM

Spot on mate, he wasn't the slightest bit interested in playing against Rangers. Same happened the last time when he picked up a mysterious injury days before the tynecastle game which he missed only to fly out the next day to join up with the national squad. An injury that the Hibs medical team weren't allowed to look at by the way.

CropleyWasGod
26-12-2009, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=Mibbes Aye...®;2285443]Strange thing with the ANC, it does seems like it's every year :greengrin.

My guess is there are a couple of reasons for the January scheduling - IIRC (and I may have this wrong), if it was played in June/July/August then it would militate against countries hosting it unless they were from the very north or very south.

I assume a scheduling early in the calendar year allows the vast majority of the continent to be considered as a host nation, climate-wise, which does seems fair enough.

The other reason for sticking with early in the new year, I suspect, is an aversion to giving in (or being seen to be giving in) to the pressure that may have been applied by European clubs (and I believe the French clubs are hit the hardest) to shift the competition.

QUOTE]

.... and many countries have a mid-season break at that time.

--------
26-12-2009, 09:42 AM
It's every 2 years, Doddie.

Ah. Sorry - thought it was annual. When you get to my age, all the years sort of congeal into one horrible mess.... :devil:

It's actually the SPL's fault - we should be playing today, with Sol in. They probably organised the game for Sunday deliberately to help Rangers - a phone call to the Algerian FA, one to the Ivory Coast FA, one to the TV, one to Ibrox - "It's OK, Walt - all sorted for you...."

Or is that too paranoid even for a HIbee? :wink:

Mibbes Aye
26-12-2009, 09:44 AM
.... and many countries have a mid-season break at that time.

True :agree:

From a purely selfish point of view I would like it if they played in the summer, in odd-numbered years.

Would probably watch any ties with Hibs involvement, and any glamour games as well, to a greater extent than I do watch the ANC currently.

In a very crude and rough way would that not make it similar to the TV companies shifting our game from 3pm on a Saturday though? (edit - not directed at you CWG, just a general thought) :confused: :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
26-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Ah. Sorry - thought it was annual. When you get to my age, all the years sort of congeal into one horrible mess.... :devil:

It's actually the SPL's fault - we should be playing today, with Sol in. They probably organised the game for Sunday deliberately to help Rangers - a phone call to the Algerian FA, one to the Ivory Coast FA, one to the TV, one to Ibrox - "It's OK, Walt - all sorted for you...."

Or is that too paranoid even for a HIbee? :wink:

It's not too paranoid :bitchy:

Although you are assuming a certain amount of competence on their part, which might be a bit risky :greengrin

Newhaven
26-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Drogba playing for Chelsea today:grr:

oldbutdim
26-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Is anyone else thinking Bamba will be playing for Hibs tomorrow?

:wink:

H18sry
26-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Drogba playing for Chelsea today:grr:

As already stated it's rules for the big team's players but not for the wee SPL team players :grr:

iwasthere1972
26-12-2009, 01:20 PM
As already stated it's rules for the big team's players but not for the wee SPL team players :grr:

Well Yogi said he would be monitoring the situation so I would be very surprised if Hibs don't complain to the relevant authorities.

--------
26-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Well Yogi said he would be monitoring the situation so I would be very surprised if Hibs don't complain to the relevant authorities.

IIRC the deadline the IC coach set was for the squad assembling on the 27th.

This is the 26th. So Drogba playing for Chelsea is OK - No one's making one rule for one club and another for another. The only exception appears to be Meide's selection for WBA.

If the Rangers game had been played today, Sol would have played. But the SPL and the TV company put the game back until tomorrow - hence Sol's unavailability.

Nothing to see here, folks - move along, now.

iwasthere1972
26-12-2009, 01:49 PM

This is the 26th.

If the Rangers game had been played today, Sol would have played. But the SPL and the TV company put the game back until tomorrow - hence Sol's unavailability.

It pains me to say this but you are probably correct. Came to same conclusion as you after I made my post but was too lazy to edit.

SPL/TV companies. Pheck you. :grr:

majorhibs
26-12-2009, 09:25 PM

This is the 26th. So Drogba playing for Chelsea is OK - No one's making one rule for one club and another for another. The only exception appears to be Meide's selection for WBA.

It pains me to say this but you are probably correct. Came to same conclusion as you after I made my post but was too lazy to edit.

SPL/TV companies. Pheck you. :grr:

So what exactly is you guys position within the Ivory Coast? If the coach says no exceptions then makes an exception for a player from WBA, is that not being a bit hypocritical. Nae matter if Drogba was playing today, if Chelsea were playing the morn Chelsea would be asking if he could travel a day later but they played SATURDAY no SUNDAY sherlock, its perfectly reasonable in this day and age when there is daily flights to Africa to ask, if you provide a player with a wage and a playing platform to develop every week, to ask if said player can travel 24 hours later as although your going to be missing that player for 5/6 weeks due to the ACN being scheduled against most other major competitions, having said player for an extra 24 hours is no big deal, if one players good to stay till monday for a game in England why cant Sol Bamba stay here for a day less to play for us in our biggest game of the season so far? Doddie, you make excuses to fit your arguments as you go along- ok to stay with WBA till monday, not ok to stay with Hibs till sunday- gies a break! Blaming TV- head out the chloroform time for you mate. :rolleyes:

Gaz2006
26-12-2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/12/26/manual_165210.html

Drogba and Kalou will apparently play for Chelsea on Monday:grr:

ScottB
26-12-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/12/26/manual_165210.html

Drogba and Kalou will apparently play for Chelsea on Monday:grr:

I would imagine it's a case of the likes of Drogba being 'undroppable' if he phones up and says 'by the way I'm coming on Tuesday' they ain't gonna say squat, whereas the likes of Bamba isn't going to get that kind of leeway sadly.

Judas Iscariot
26-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Nope..

Was seen at the airport earlier boarding a flight to Southampton..

CropleyWasGod
26-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Nope..

... with Jordi?

oldbutdim
26-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Nope..

Aw bugger........................

I just thought it was going to be one of these unexpected situations.... you know, like when you've upset the missus and you think there's no chance of getting a bit of how's your father.......... sleeping with electric bums - when they touch you jump apart........ then in the morning........

WAHAY! You hear her brushing her teeth!

:thumbsup:

I'm not saying that I fantasise about Sol brushing his teeth.

I just thought that............ never mind.

Good night.

oldbutdim
27-12-2009, 08:45 AM

:thumbsup: