PDA

View Full Version : Is there any danger the huns game could be off?

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2009, 09:07 AM
I am down in London at the moment, and the weather news say its going to be very bad in Scotland over the next few days, especially Edinburgh and the east coast. Is there a chance the game could be called off?:confused:

joe breezy
24-12-2009, 09:24 AM
It will be about 3 degrees on Boxing Day (that's what the weather man said) so I think the game will be on.

Mikey
24-12-2009, 09:42 AM
The pitch should be fine. It's the surrounding streets and travel that might cause the problems!

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2009, 09:45 AM
It will be about 3 degrees on Boxing Day (that's what the weather man said) so I think the game will be on.If the game is off, I was just wondering - when will I see you again?!! :tin hat:

Leithenhibby
24-12-2009, 09:46 AM
It's a winter wonderland in the Borders at the moment and I wouldn't want
this game to be called off as I've (and everyone else) been looking forward to it for an age.

More snow last night for us and it's still threatening more.

FINGERS CROSSED. :wink:

down-the-slope
24-12-2009, 09:55 AM
It was -11oC in Edinburgh and even colder out here in the sticks so its really going to test the undersoil heating...Rodders will be weeping watching the meter turning full pelt...

Boxing day is supposed to be a few degrees up (but yesterday we were meant to get snow showers and got 6 inches)

Better get as many layers on as possible though....

Jamesie
24-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Just spoke to the ticket office and they say they are unlikely to hear anything until the day of the game. Seems sensible to me - one would think our undersoil heating could cope with extremes, even as low as the -11C in Edinburgh last night.

Only difficulty I can foresee would be if the Polis took the view travel was not safe, but probably unlikely.

Westie1875
24-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Just spoke to the ticket office and they say they are unlikely to hear anything until the day of the game. Seems sensible to me - one would think our undersoil heating could cope with extremes, even as low as the -11C in Edinburgh last night.

Only difficulty I can foresee would be if the Polis took the view travel was not safe, but probably unlikely.

Like you say I think it will depend on the state of the streets and travel conditions. The streets around Easter Road are a disaster area at the moment, particularly on foot - if we get more snow before Sunday and it doesn't start melting I can see it being off.

hibbie02
24-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I am down in London at the moment, and the weather news say its going to be very bad in Scotland over the next few days, especially Edinburgh and the east coast. Is there a chance the game could be called off?:confused:

You going to Quinns then on Sunday?:wink:

.Sean.
24-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Bit off-topic...

Not sure what the weathers like up town, just been out to the car to get a cd, wearing trainers as I hadn't anticipated the snow to be 6 inches... ****ing soaked :grr::faf:

Still coming down heavy the now too :agree:

hibiedude
24-12-2009, 11:47 AM
The pitch should be fine. It's the surrounding streets and travel that might cause the problems!

Have to agree if fans are having problems on the M8 or surrounding areas it mite be in trouble of being called off.

I was on the M8 about an hour ago and its horrendous and looking out the window in Livi its snowing again

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-12-2009, 11:54 AM
It was -11oC in Edinburgh and even colder out here in the sticks so its really going to test the undersoil heating...Rodders will be weeping watching the meter turning full pelt...

Boxing day is supposed to be a few degrees up (but yesterday we were meant to get snow showers and got 6 inches)

Better get as many layers on as possible though....

I will see your -11 and lower it to -14. Side roads around here are not too great but the main roads are all fine. The only problem may be the early start as the more traffic on the road the better. I would be more worried about the St Johnstone game. Also, anyone going to that game by car should make sure that their insurance policies are up to date before entering THAT carpark.

Fantic
24-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Bit off-topic...

Not sure what the weathers like up town, just been out to the car to get a cd, wearing trainers as I hadn't anticipated the snow to be 6 inches... ****ing soaked :grr::faf:

Still coming down heavy the now too :agree:

Just had another snow shower in Leith but if its off again. A lot of snow still lying about, and i would be suprised if there isnt more on the way.

PaulSmith
24-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Like you say I think it will depend on the state of the streets and travel conditions. The streets around Easter Road are a disaster area at the moment, particularly on foot - if we get more snow before Sunday and it doesn't start melting I can see it being off.

Why, can you tell me the last time a game was cancelled due to the streets having snow around them? Or because the M8 is down to single lane.

If the pitch is playable, which I've no doubt it will be, then the game will go ahead. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that game will kick off at 12 o'clock on Sunday 27th

Speedy
24-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Why, can you tell me the last time a game was cancelled due to the streets having snow around them? Or because the M8 is down to single lane.

If the pitch is playable, which I've no doubt it will be, then the game will go ahead. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that game will kick off at 12 o'clock on Sunday 27th

Monday :wink:Don't know when the last HIbs game was cancelled for those reasons though

CropleyWasGod
24-12-2009, 12:54 PM

That's a decision for the police. They call off games for that reason quite often.

CropleyWasGod
24-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Monday :wink:Don't know when the last HIbs game was cancelled for those reasons though

Sunday :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
24-12-2009, 12:57 PM
That's a decision for the police. They call off games for that reason quite often.

Do the Huns have many injuries / suspensions? Nope

Are the Huns in good form? Aye

Game's on then.

:greengrin

hibiedude
24-12-2009, 01:21 PM

You'll have shoppers as well as supporters heading towards Edinburgh this Sunday and if the M8 is still down to one lane the Rangers team bus mite have problems getting through for the early kick off. The police will have the final say if this game goes ahead based on the facts mentioned.

Hibby70
24-12-2009, 01:28 PM
You'll have shoppers as well as supporters heading towards Edinburgh this Sunday and if the M8 is still down to one lane the Rangers team bus mite have problems getting through for the early kick off. The police will have the final say if this game goes ahead based on the facts mentioned.
if they dont make it through it should be 3 points to us. Half of them probably live through here anyway, i know most of their fans do.

joe breezy
24-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Rangers should be staying in a hotel Saturday night and the game should be on, fact.

If it's off it's because the bizzies want Rangers to have as big a support as possible

Baw187
24-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Rangers should be staying in a hotel Saturday night

They always do. Does anyone know if Hibs do this?

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2009, 02:41 PM
You going to Quinns then on Sunday?:wink:

Naw, back in sunny blackpool for the sunday morning. Watching it with the blackpool lot, then a few pints to celebrate.:notworthy::notworthy::pray:

Dashing Bob S
24-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Naw, back in sunny blackpool for the sunday morning. Watching it with the blackpool lot, then a few pints to celebrate.:notworthy::notworthy::pray:

Word of warning, BH. I'll be done up to the nines and as suave as ever. I plan to steal your Hun girlfriend off of you. Letting her attend unchaperoned presents a considerable risk.

Westie1875
24-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Like others have said, Monday - the Wigan v Bolton game was postponed for this reason.

I want the game to go ahead but it will be up to the police to decide if the weather does not improve.

PaulSmith
24-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quite often? I'd be interested to know when and it certainly wasn't the reason that the Hamilton game was called off against Dundee Utd. If it was then it would've been called off well before 2.45, the game was off because of the snow on the pitch although I do accept that the referee took advice from the match commander as well.

I cannot think of any game where the pitch has been playable in the SPL, the two teams are there along with the match officials that has been called off. Happy to stand corrected though.

edit bar this one!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/wigan/6857766/Wigan-v-Bolton-postponed-due-to-severe-weather-conditions.html

Nakedmanoncrack
24-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Quite often? I'd be interested to know when and it certainly wasn't the reason that the Hamilton game was called off against Dundee Utd. If it was then it would've been called off well before 2.45, the game was off because of the snow on the pitch although I do accept that the referee took advice from the match commander as well.

I cannot think of any game where the pitch has been playable in the SPL, the two teams are there along with the match officials that has been called off. Happy to stand corrected though.

edit bar this one!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/wigan/6857766/Wigan-v-Bolton-postponed-due-to-severe-weather-conditions.html

Very rare and something of a myth, game will not be in any doubt.

Jamesie
24-12-2009, 03:28 PM
They always do. Does anyone know if Hibs do this?

Nope, we don't. I remember either Mixu or Collins mentioning it in relation to our trips to Inverness.

To be fair though, no distance is so far in Scotland to necessitate it other than Inverness IMHO.

PC Stamp
24-12-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm pretty sure the match commander expressed concern at the difficulty fans may have in getting home after the game were the snow to continue as it was at the time of cancellation. Not just the issue of getting there to consider. Most fans were in the ground at the time but may have struggled after the game in poor conditions.

blackpoolhibs
24-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Word of warning, BH. I'll be done up to the nines and as suave as ever. I plan to steal your Hun girlfriend off of you. Letting her attend unchaperoned presents a considerable risk.

No problem Bob fill your boots, i will run the risk.:greengrin

PaulSmith
24-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the match commander expressed concern at the difficulty fans may have in getting home after the game were the snow to continue as it was at the time of cancellation. Not just the issue of getting there to consider. Most fans were in the ground at the time but may have struggled after the game in poor conditions.

Express concern all he wanted as there was never any danger of the game going ahead as the pitch was unplayable. Match commander was also quite happy to let everyone out the ground during a white out were driving conditions were about 15 feet.

Anyone remember the Celtic game at home a couple of years ago where there was several inches of snow, pitch fine and game went ahead. Same will happen this Sunday.

JON6207
24-12-2009, 04:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8249330.stm

Not snow but this match was abandoned because of travel problems

PaulSmith
24-12-2009, 04:44 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8249330.stm

Not snow but this match was abandoned because of travel problems

Aye, the Killie bus was stuck at Harthill. Not much in common with the thread I'm afraid.

Hibs Spain
24-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I am down in London at the moment, and the weather news say its going to be very bad in Scotland over the next few days, especially Edinburgh and the east coast. Is there a chance the game could be called off?:confused:The game's on.

Sylar
24-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Just started snowing again in West Lothian...

jdships
24-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Spoke to one of the players today and he told me that what has been said at ER is that the only things which would put the game in doubt are snow covering the seating and the surrounding roads being dangerous due to uncleared snow.
With forecast the way it is all looks well !!

:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
24-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Spoke to one of the players today and he told me that what has been said at ER is that the only things which would put the game in doubt are snow covering the seating and the surrounding roads being dangerous due to uncleared snow.
With forecast the way it is all looks well !!

:thumbsup:

I agree dont think there is a chance of being off unless another day like yesterdays deluge.

bathhibby
24-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Picked my tickets up to-day and surrounding area OK - no different to Princess Street and they haven't called off Christmas Shopping

Jamesie
24-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree dont think there is a chance of being off unless another day like yesterdays deluge.

If the game had been set for the 23rd it would have definitely been off IMHO.

JimBHibees
24-12-2009, 07:48 PM
If the game had been set for the 23rd it would have definitely been off IMHO.

I agree and quite right too however think it will definitely be on this Sunday.

scoopyboy
24-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Thaw starting in Musselburgh by the looks of it.

Could well be no snow at all by Sunday.

Hibby Bairn
24-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Thaw starting in Musselburgh by the looks of it.

Oh aye....roasting :wink:

It is to be -7 tonight and -8 tomorrow. Where is that sun tan lotion?

Hope game is off as I am going to a wedding and can't make it. So ST's passed on elsewhere.....hopefully passed back unused. :cool2:

Kevvy1875
24-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Looking out my window here(stones throw from ER) Nae danger of it being called off. Snow is melting good style.

The stuff would allready have been cleared off the pitch so its just the travelling to the ground that could have thrown a spanner in the works.

Game will be on....99% sure:agree:

hibiedude
25-12-2009, 11:10 AM
In the west it's snowing again and M8 is down to one lane I was going to visit family in Edinburgh today but had to turn off and return home

the happy hibee
25-12-2009, 02:51 PM
It is definatley thawing here in mussy i think by the time sun comes there will be no snow left on the roads :thumbsup:

Toaods
25-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I filled our Blue recycling box with snow and hard packed it on Thursday luch time.

It has thawed down about 4 inches from the top now so it ha sthawd but totally baltic out there the now.

Big_D
25-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I filled our Blue recycling box with snow and hard packed it on Thursday luch time.

It has thawed down about 4 inches from the top now so it ha sthawd but totally baltic out there the now.

Recycling snow , whatever next :rolleyes:

Jamesie
25-12-2009, 08:48 PM
It is apparently -4C at Edinburgh Airport just now but here on the east side it feels a lot colder.

Granted, the gritting staff will likely have been thin on the ground today but I came the closest I have yet to losing control of the car tonight after hitting black ice at the roundabout on Marionville Road next to Sainsburys. If going out totally avoid that area.

Still though, nothing gritters can't sort out I guess, although if it is snowing on the M8 that might affect the Polis decision. I wonder what temperature our undersoil heating is rated down to?

richard_pitts
25-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Just driven the M8 Edinbugh - Glasgow then on to Bearsden and it was fine. West side of Edinburgh ok too. Reckon it's on unless it snows :agree:

GreenCastle
25-12-2009, 09:07 PM
don't forget it's a noon kick off!

James70
25-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Not looking hopeful for me I'm afraid. Will have to shift tons of snow just to get the car off the drive and even after I've cleared the snow the roads look pretty dodgy. Plus it's started snowing again tonight!

Leithenhibby
26-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Not looking hopeful for me I'm afraid. Will have to shift tons of snow just to get the car off the drive and even after I've cleared the snow the roads look pretty dodgy. Plus it's started snowing again tonight!

Roads around Peebles & Innerleithen look fine, just back from the hydro! :drunk: very nice. Main roads will be fine I'm sure.

hibiedude
26-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Roads around the M8 are sound now after all that snow. :thumbsup:

HibbyKeith
26-12-2009, 12:02 PM
all the roads around the stadium are fine, paths still a little slippy as the snow turns to slush/ice would take a hell of a turn in the weather for the game to be off.

Bring on the hearts the celts the rangers.........

:notworthy:

jakki
26-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Snowing again in Livi right now. :greengrin