PDA

View Full Version : Glory Glory song

Keith_M
23-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Been meaning to ask this for a while. The GGTTH song is widely considered to be the 'Hibs Song'. However, I've heard at least two other versions, Spurs and ManU.

What's the actual origins of this song, who had it first and how was it adopted by the other clubs?

:confused:

Green Man
23-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I mind singing the same tune with the words "Johnny was a paratrooper" when I was wee. The chorus was "glory glory hallelujah" - was the tune taken from a hymn?

Bad Martini
23-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Elvis wis a Hibby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lnQivQDr8

:thumbsup: (you'll need to listen til the end tho ;-)

proud_and_green
23-12-2009, 12:22 PM
It's the battle hymm of the Republic - American that is.

Keith_M
23-12-2009, 01:23 PM
All very informative, I'm sure, but does anybody know the answer to the actual question?

:wink:

Dashing Bob S
23-12-2009, 01:25 PM
All very informative, I'm sure, but does anybody know the answer to the actual question?

:wink:

My understanding was that Hibs and Spurs both adopted it in the post-war era. Hector Nicol brought it out as a Hibs single in the sixties, and there was also a Tottenham equivalent round about the same time.

Man U, as befits glory hunters, jumped on the bandwagon considerably later.

Keith_M
23-12-2009, 01:28 PM
My understanding was that Hibs and Spurs both adopted it in the post-war era. Hector Nicol brought it out as a Hibs single in the sixties, and there was also a Tottenham equivalent round about the same time.

Man U, as befits glory hunters, jumped on the bandwagon considerably later.

Thanks for that!

:thumbsup:

Aubenas
23-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Spurs were certainly well known for Glory glory by the time they did the Double in 60-61, but I think Hector Nicol's recording was 1957?:dunno:

Mikeystewart
23-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but i was looking around on Wikipedia to find out who released the glory glory song first. I then seen that hibs first game was against hearts on the 25th of December, Where attitudes back then different with regard to the importance of Christmas. I guess there is probubly no one who posts on here who was around at that time to tell me anyway.

CropleyWasGod
23-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but i was looking around on Wikipedia to find out who released the glory glory song first. I then seen that hibs first game was against hearts on the 25th of December, Where attitudes back then different with regard to the importance of Christmas. I guess there is probubly no one who posts on here who was around at that time to tell me anyway.

It's not that long ago... certainly post-WWII.... that Christmas was not really seen as a Scottish festival. The shrinking of the world, though, by way of the mass media, probably started to change that.

New Year was always seen as the important winter festival.

As for games being on, I can remember clearly games being played on Christmas Day in the 70's.

Killiehibbie
23-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Christmas Day was not a holiday until the 50's. Some older Hibbies will remember going to work on 25th Dec.

Septimus
23-12-2009, 02:17 PM

I served my apprenticeship in the Caledon Shipyard, Dundee in the 50's. We worked on Christmas day at that time.