PDA

View Full Version : Will we lose Liam Miller in the summer?

Hibbyradge
22-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I think he only signed a 2 year contract so unless we're prepared to let him sign a pre contract with someone else in a year's time, we'll need to sell him in the summer.

Does anyone think he would sign an extension for the wages we can pay?

brydekirk
22-12-2009, 10:05 AM
I think he only signed a 2 year contract so unless we're prepared to let him sign a pre contract with someone else in a year's time, we'll need to sell him in the summer.

Does anyone think he would sign an extension for the wages we can pay?

the guy is a millionaire, he just wants to enjoy his football. where would you play in the same circumstances ?:thumbsup:

cockneymike
22-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd have thought that it will largely be about how we do between now and the end of the season. If we were to win something, or to finish top 2; and then start to spend some cash with a view to kicking on as a team, then I think he could be tempted with a new contract, as everything he says suggests that he's enjoying his football again and at his age, you'd imagine that is important.

However, if we were to slip away - maybe finish a distant third/ fourth, and not do anything in the cup, having sold a few players in January, and then look to invest in the stadium only. Then I could see him either being sold in the summer or more likely him hanging on, then signing a pre contract with a championship or lower prem this time next year.

Antifa Hibs
22-12-2009, 10:09 AM
After getting his career back on track, i'd like to think he'd reward us by adding a years extension to his contract :wink:

By the time his contract is up, he'll be approaching 30, as someone else said he's a millionaire and might just be happy to settle down in the Burgh playing at a fantastic football club where he is or at least will be adored, earning a very decent 3 grand-ish a week.

Leithenhibby
22-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd have thought that it will largely be about how we do between now and the end of the season. If we were to win something, or to finish top 2; and then start to spend some cash with a view to kicking on as a team, then I think he could be tempted with a new contract, as everything he says suggests that he's enjoying his football again and at his age, you'd imagine that is important.

However, if we were to slip away - maybe finish a distant third/ fourth, and not do anything in the cup, having sold a few players in January, and then look to invest in the stadium only. Then I could see him either being sold in the summer or more likely him hanging on, then signing a pre contract with a championship or lower prem this time next year.

Like it :top marks times are hard....

Hibercelona
22-12-2009, 10:24 AM
the guy is a millionaire, he just wants to enjoy his football. where would you play in the same circumstances ?:thumbsup:

The fact is, a talent like Liam's shouldn't even be at ER.

We're very very lucky to have him at the club.

I can see massive clubs coming in for him in the summer.

Leithenhibby
22-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Your right, but I think he will stay around for the Champions League :greengrin

Hibercelona
22-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Your right, but I think he will stay around for the Champions League :greengrin

How?

Is he moving to Hearts in January? :dunno:

:jamboak:

Hainan Hibs
22-12-2009, 10:33 AM
He's enjoying the football here and after the past few years he has had I don't think he will be in a rush to leave.

Judas Iscariot
22-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Why not?

Jack
22-12-2009, 10:37 AM
the guy is a millionaire, he just wants to enjoy his football. where would you play in the same circumstances ?

I'll go with that.

If we want to maintain and improve on where we are LM will also be a fairly big part in attracting similar quality players. Onwards and upwards :agree:

Hibercelona
22-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Why not?

Because its sheer luck that he's here.

He clearly has the quality to play for a massive club.

brydekirk
22-12-2009, 10:43 AM

nothing to do with luck, his decision :agree: and i would think it will be totally up to him when he decides to leave.:thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
22-12-2009, 10:46 AM
How?

Is he moving to Hearts in January? :dunno:

:confused: you said that massive clubs would be in for him, I said that he would hang around :wink: no harm done a this end...........
:notworthy:

James Connolly
22-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Has this board has turned into the Daily ******?

How many more threads are going to be started regarding players potentially moving on in January/Summer?

The reason I draw comparisons with that weegie rag; is that they usually come out with this usual pish about players moving on, just before a big game against the infirm!!

Times are good just now; let's just enjoy the moment, instead of constantly worrying about who's leaving the club...especially with such a massive game on Sunday.

GGTTH! :notworthy:

silverhibee
22-12-2009, 11:00 AM

:agree:

RIP
22-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Liam Miller, like Mikey Stewart, John Rankin, Maka, Felipe Morais, Joe Keenan (now I'm getting ridiculous!!:greengrin) have already been at a massive club - Manchester United, Chelsea et al

You can only imagine the despair that such laddies feel when they finally realise they will never attain those heady heights.

When, like Liam, a manager such as Yogi offers you a way back, you realise you can rebuild your career.

Better Hibs first team than Celtic or Liverpool reserves. OK he might make the Smeltic first team but if Barry Robson and Scotty Brown are on form and Liam was coming back from injury - who knows

Hibs are a massive enough team for Liam at the moment. He's no long in the door. Talk of his departure is a tad premature.

Let's sit back and enjoy him while he's here - one Saturday at a time!

matty_f
22-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I'd be delighted if Miller stayed on past the summer, he's outstanding.

The thing is, this is the calibre of player we need at the club if we've ever to have ambitions of challenging for cups and titles. We should be looking at how we keep him and use him as the benchmark for other signings.

Judas Iscariot
22-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Sheer luck aye :rolleyes:

You don't half come out with sone gash :agree:

Instead of sounding like a yam with the sheer luck, too good for hibs and should be at a massive club comments, why not praise Yogi and the board for signing a player of Millers quality!?

matty_f
22-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Sheer luck aye :rolleyes:

You don't half come out with sone gash :agree:

Instead of sounding like a yam with the sheer luck, too good for hibs and should be at a massive club comments, why not praise Yogi abs te board for signing a player of Millers quality!?

:top marks

Cropley10
22-12-2009, 11:30 AM

How - did we win him in a raffle??:confused:

He's played for some 'massive' clubs and, er, didn't do so well with them.

He's now a big fish in a small pond - who's starting to play every week for the first time in a long time, at 28.

Aldo
22-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I'd be delighted if Miller stayed on past the summer, he's outstanding.

The thing is, this is the calibre of player we need at the club if we've ever to have ambitions of challenging for cups and titles. We should be looking at how we keep him and use him as the benchmark for other signings.

Matty

spot on mate. If players like Liam want to sign for Hughes, and I will say Stokes is in this bracket as well, then other players of a similiar calibre may see Hibs as a team on the up.

TBH i never thought I would see a player of Liams predigree at ER but and for me Hughes style of management and his ability to speak to players and sell the club play a very big part in all this.

O and dont forget RP's roll in all this...loosening the purse strings.

dirtydirk
22-12-2009, 11:38 AM
The likes of Miller and Riordan come with too much baggage and bad reputation for any EPL to touch them. Celtic fans hate Miller so that rules them out and the fact he plays for the ROI rules him out of a move to the huns. I think its a great situation and couldnt see him moving anywhere unless it was to a nation outside britain.

matty_f
22-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Matty

spot on mate. If players like Liam want to sign for Hughes, and I will say Stokes is in this bracket as well, then other players of a similiar calibre may see Hibs as a team on the up.

TBH i never thought I would see a player of Liams predigree at ER but and for me Hughes style of management and his ability to speak to players and sell the club play a very big part in all this.

O and dont forget RP's roll in all this...loosening the purse strings.

Totally agree with that - I think Yogi managed to get some good players to Falkirk by being the sort of manager that players want to play for, and what we're seeing just now is a combination of Yogi's skills in this area combined with a board who have the ability and the desire to back him in getting the players like Miller and Stokes.

The good thing is that other players will start to notice Hibs for the right reasons - they'll see what Yogi's getting out of Miller and Stokes and we become an attractive proposition for similar players.

Add in the fact we've got probably the best training facilities in Scotland and we look better still.

I said when we appointed Yogi that I thought he was the right man to push us on and grow the club. If (and it's a big 'if') we can keep the likes of Miller, Stokes, Riordan and steadily add that sort of calibre across the park, we'll become a formidable side.

hfc rd
22-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Liam Miller has said before that he wants to stay at hibs in the long term, as it is this club that got his career back on track, Is loving every minute of it and likes Yogi's method. He will sadly eventually one day leave, but he is very happy playing for hibs as he is getting his game. Also the prospect of european football next season.

Leithenhibby
How - did we win him in a raffle??:confused:

He's played for some 'massive' clubs and, er, didn't do so well with them.

He's now a big fish in a small pond - who's starting to play every week for the first time in a long time, at 28.

:faf: some folk :rolleyes:

col02
Totally agree with that - I think Yogi managed to get some good players to Falkirk by being the sort of manager that players want to play for, and what we're seeing just now is a combination of Yogi's skills in this area combined with a board who have the ability and the desire to back him in getting the players like Miller and Stokes.

The good thing is that other players will start to notice Hibs for the right reasons - they'll see what Yogi's getting out of Miller and Stokes and we become an attractive proposition for similar players.

Add in the fact we've got probably the best training facilities in Scotland and we look better still.

I said when we appointed Yogi that I thought he was the right man to push us on and grow the club. If (and it's a big 'if') we can keep the likes of Miller, Stokes, Riordan and steadily add that sort of calibre across the park, we'll become a formidable side.

Also the added factor that youth players who come thru the ranks will be all the better for training daily beside players of a higher calibre. Perversely might lose the odd younger player if the quality remains the same but ones that do make the break thru like Wotherspoon will in all probability be the real deal.

brydekirk
22-12-2009, 12:10 PM
hmmm, im sure i just read a few positive posts. is this really hibs.net ?:confused:

Hibs7
22-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Wrong, it was Miller who phoned Yogi, so no luck involved.

Judas Iscariot
22-12-2009, 12:25 PM
hmmm, im sure i just read a few positive posts. is this really hibs.net ?:confused:

Xmas cheer and all that :wink:

Why let the facts get in the way of a chance to spout some drivel though!

crewetollhibee
22-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I would hope that given his good relationship with Yogi, that any departure in the future would be amicable and planned. This would give The Man plenty time to organise suitable replacement(s). That said, I hope that he appreciates that Hibs have been good for him too, and that he stays for a LONG time.

BEEJ
22-12-2009, 12:37 PM
:greengrin Liam Miller in

"Hibs is the only team I ever wanted to play for!"

shock.

sahib
22-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Predicting Hibs will sell good players is like shooting ducks in the, proverbial, barrel.

BEEJ
22-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Predicting Hibs will sell good players is like shooting ducks in the, proverbial, barrel.
.... at least until the stadium roof at ER has been fully funded.

And the helipad ...

matty_f
22-12-2009, 12:48 PM
.... at least until the stadium roof at ER has been fully funded.

And the helipad ...

:agree: Mustn't forget the helipad.:greengrin

mayo hibee
22-12-2009, 12:51 PM
The likes of Miller and Riordan come with too much baggage and bad reputation for any EPL to touch them. Celtic fans hate Miller so that rules them out and the fact he plays for the ROI rules him out of a move to the huns. I think its a great situation and couldnt see him moving anywhere unless it was to a nation outside britain.

Miller isn't really good enough for the EPL and he's not physical enough for the Championship.

His style of play is perfectly suited to the SPL and Europe though and this combined with the short term memory span of your average old firm fan makes me worry that a headline in the Rantic such as "The Prodigal Son Returns" at some point in the future isn't the impossibility I'd like it to be.

basehibby
22-12-2009, 01:06 PM

:grr::grr::grr: Got to say - that is a complete NONSENSE statement and a load of defeatist twaddle. If it were true then how on earth would previous managers in recent decades have managed to attract established players of the calibre of Sauzee, Latapy, Archibald and Best to the club???

Fair enough he's a very good player and quite likely to attract attention from other clubs with bigger resources, but for the next 18 months or so he will remain a Hibs player unless the Hibs manager and board decide otherwise.

Got to say that I also view the OP as pretty pointless at this stage. Hibs are riding high in the league and on a great run of form which threatens to get even better. Why drag the mood down by speculating about losing one of our best players - thought that was the job of the ersewits that masquerade as journalists at the Daily ****** et al :bitchy:

Silver Fox
22-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I hope not, i'm also looking forward to getting McBride back in there beside him asap.

blackpoolhibs
22-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Miller isn't really good enough for the EPL and he's not physical enough for the Championship..

Nonsense, have you watched any championship football? :confused: He might not have done it recently, but now he's playing regularly, he's fitter, and playing with confidence, he's got his mojo back. :wink: He also played a lot of games in the premiership, so has been good enough at the higher level.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-12-2009, 02:31 PM

In a recession it can be surprising where quality folk end up...

Viva_Palmeiras
22-12-2009, 02:35 PM
:grr::grr::grr: Got to say - that is a complete NONSENSE statement and a load of defeatist twaddle. If it were true then how on earth would previous managers in recent decades have managed to attract established players of the calibre of Sauzee, Latapy, Archibald and Best to the club???

Fair enough he's a very good player and quite likely to attract attention from other clubs with bigger resources, but for the next 18 months or so he will remain a Hibs player unless the Hibs manager and board decide otherwise.

Got to say that I also view the OP as pretty pointless at this stage. Hibs are riding high in the league and on a great run of form which threatens to get even better. Why drag the mood down by speculating about losing one of our best players - thought that was the job of the ersewits that masquerade as journalists at the Daily ****** et al :bitchy:

Well it appears to be some folks Raison d'etre / pre-occupation even - their first words at the Pearly-gates will be - "see a ****ing told you so didn't I?"

HibbyKeith
22-12-2009, 05:25 PM
was speaking with liam on sunday, his wife is pregnant and they have 2 young sons, hes loving it at easter road, and "is looking to stay long term" he was also saying how he's done his moving around and is just happy to get settled down.

Carheenlea
22-12-2009, 07:29 PM
was speaking with liam on sunday, his wife is pregnant and they have 2 young sons, hes loving it at easter road, and "is looking to stay long term" he was also saying how he's done his moving around and is just happy to get settled down.

It was only a few weeks ago he was quoted in an interview stating that this is the first time he`s really felt settled anywhere for a long time.

How good would it be if Liam Miller was to be our lynch-pin in the middle of the park for years to come? :pray:

hibsbollah
22-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Miller isn't really good enough for the EPL and he's not physical enough for the Championship.

His style of play is perfectly suited to the SPL and Europe though and this combined with the short term memory span of your average old firm fan makes me worry that a headline in the Rantic such as "The Prodigal Son Returns" at some point in the future isn't the impossibility I'd like it to be.

Total nonsense. As I posted on here previously i saw him and Stokes both play well at the Stadium of Light in January last year against Birmingham in the EPL. Neither looked out of place in that company. Miller in particular was up against physical internationalist players in midfield and despite the fact hes 5'7 his intelligence and speed of thought took him away from trouble and allowed him to pass the ball well. Most Sunderland fans will tell you the reason he didnt get games was that he fell out with fellow Corkman Roy Keane, and he's hardly the first to do that.

We have a seriously exceptional find on our hands. The fact he actually wanted to play for us makes him potential legend material IMO:agree:

Judas Iscariot
22-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Total nonsense. As I posted on here previously i saw him and Stokes both play well at the Stadium of Light in January last year against Birmingham in the EPL. Neither looked out of place in that company. Miller in particular was up against physical internationalist players in midfield and despite the fact hes 5'7 his intelligence and speed of thought took him away from trouble and allowed him to pass the ball well. Most Sunderland fans will tell you the reason he didnt get games was that he fell out with fellow Corkman Roy Keane, and he's hardly the first to do that.

We have a seriously exceptional find on our hands. The fact he actually wanted to play for us makes him potential legend material IMO:agree:

:agree:

And would appear to want to stay :pray:

Sir David Gray
22-12-2009, 08:50 PM
We need to use the fact that we have the likes of Miller, Stokes, Zemmama, Bamba and Riordan as a selling point for other potential signings. It's also important to these kind of players that the club they're at has real ambition. You don't get ex-Premiership and international players coming or staying at your club very long if your main aim every year is just to finish in the top six of the SPL.

Now that we have the training centre, an excellent manager and have several top class professionals in our ranks, it is absolutely vital that we now push on and continue to grow as a club.

I think we are now at a crucial point and we have a real opportunity to really improve things on the field and perhaps achieve some success.

MWHIBBIES
22-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Miller played alot for sunderland in the prem a few years ago and is'nt any worse than central midfeild players that play for wolves,burnley or stoke.

basehibby
23-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Well it appears to be some folks Raison d'etre / pre-occupation even - their first words at the Pearly-gates will be - "see a ****ing told you so didn't I?"

:faf:

You put it better tha hI ever could :greengrin

Hibbyradge
23-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Eh? When should we discuss this?

A question about a player's contract coming to an end is hardly pointless.

Hibs may be riding high, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the day to day issues.

Ian Murray is one of our best players. There has been loads of discussion about his contract.

Also, I see that you have been speculating about when Bamba will be sold. How come you see the point in that?

Or do you know something we don't about ersewits in the Daily ******?

hibsbollah
23-12-2009, 09:27 AM

Agree. I think we need a 'predictions I got wrong' thread. I'll start, I predicted Benji would get 20+goals in 2007/8, he got 1 goal:faf: and I predicted Damon Gray would make his breakthrough and be our top scorer in 2008/9, and he never even got a start:faf:

basehibby
23-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Eh? When should we discuss this?

A question about a player's contract coming to an end is hardly pointless.

Hibs may be riding high, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the day to day issues.

Ian Murray is one of our best players. There has been loads of discussion about his contract.

Also, I see that you have been speculating about when Bamba will be sold. How come you see the point in that?

Or do you know something we don't about ersewits in the Daily ******?

Maybe worth discussing somewhat more than 6 months into his contract???

re Bamba - I think his actions at the end of the Sheep game justify some degree of speculation as to his motivation.

Re the Daily ****** ersewits - we are very quick to complain on here when they start trying to sell our best players for us - I find it just as annoying when fans on here start randomly speculating over the exit of a key player who's barely even a quarter into his current deal - obviously there's no harm intended (perhaps unlike the Daily ****** ersewits) but it surely has the potential to be equally unsettling.

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2009, 03:49 PM
]Agree. I think we need a 'predictions I got wrong' thread.[/B] I'll start, I predicted Benji would get 20+goals in 2007/8, he got 1 goal:faf: and I predicted Damon Gray would make his breakthrough and be our top scorer in 2008/9, and he never even got a start:faf:

I agree, and when i make a mistake, i will be sure to bring this thread back to the top.:wink: