PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Golfers, Mowbray, Collins & Yogi .

Feed McGraw
21-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I think it was American golfers that started this annoying " stating the obvious " terminology as in " I hit the GOLF ball well today " or " I think I can win this GOLF tournament " as he stands there leaning on his 9 iron wearing a cap with " Ping " on it .

Hibs present and previous two managers have all been afflicted with this condition and consistently come out with phrases like : " The FOOTBALL club " or " The FOOTBALL match " when we all know it`s football they are talking about - Collins even came out with " The FOOTBALL supporters " , I mean what is this all about ? Just a fad I suppose, but being an old grump on my first day off for the Xmas hols and a bit bored already, I thought I`d have a wee moan. Strangely, I can`t think of any others that do this ( although I know there must be ). I`m happy to say that with the team doing so well it`s all I can moan about ( well, apart from the £1 charge for the wee plastic wallet - it`s the principle you know.) Yes I know it must be an age thing - grumpy old men and all that ( 54 in April ) looking for things to grump about when all is well. 9 points over the Hols will mean no more moans from me . :greengrin

Aubenas
21-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Shades of the late Tommy Burns who ALWAYS talked of 'celticfootballclub'

Kato
21-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I think it was American golfers that started this annoying " stating the obvious " terminology as in " I hit the GOLF ball well today " or " I think I can win this GOLF tournament " as he stands there leaning on his 9 iron wearing a cap with " Ping " on it .

Hibs present and previous two managers have all been afflicted with this condition and consistently come out with phrases like : " The FOOTBALL club " or " The FOOTBALL match " when we all know it`s football they are talking about - Collins even came out with " The FOOTBALL supporters " , I mean what is this all about ? Just a fad I suppose, but being an old grump on my first day off for the Xmas hols and a bit bored already, I thought I`d have a wee moan. Strangely, I can`t think of any others that do this ( although I know there must be ). I`m happy to say that with the team doing so well it`s all I can moan about ( well, apart from the £1 charge for the wee plastic wallet - it`s the principle you know.) Yes I know it must be an age thing - grumpy old men and all that ( 54 in April ) looking for things to grump about when all is well. 9 points over the Hols will mean no more moans from me . :greengrin

Trying to stop smoking?:wink:

.Sean.
21-12-2009, 04:36 PM

Been the sauce mate? :faf:

EskbankHibby
21-12-2009, 04:38 PM

You seem to be a man in dire need of his festive Nat King.:devil:

MSK
21-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Been the sauce mate? :faf:Have you ..?...:greengrin

.Sean.
21-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Have you ..?...:greengrin
Not since three this morning :greengrin

Dan Sarf
21-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I agree with Feed. Mowbray's a good example of this phenomenon. At first, he seemed quaint and gentlemanly, forever referring to "this football club" etc. But now it just seems weird - as if he thinks he's talking to foreigners (which I suppose he is.) :agree:

tamig
21-12-2009, 05:07 PM

Couldn't agree more! I noticed when Hughes started saying it earlier in the season and I couldn't understand where he'd got it from and it's something that gets on my wick a wee bit too. Maybe it's the lingo they talk at Largs or something :bitchy:

Godsahibby
21-12-2009, 10:02 PM
On a similar theme, thank God he is out of a job just now because my biggest hate was alway with Jimmy Calderwood interviews, he couldn't call someone just by their name, had to either put big or wee before it...big Lee, wee Jamie etc :grr:

Jim44
21-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Sportsmen cliches get up my nose. Talking about golfers, have you noticed the Tiger Woods influence ( pre scandal days ). At the end of every interview he says "Thanks, appreciate it." Now every golfer under the sun says it after every interview............yugggghhh

Shrekko
21-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Well I agree with Feed. Mowbray's a good example of this phenomenon. At first, he seemed quaint and gentlemanly, forever referring to "this football club" etc. But now it just seems weird - as if he thinks he's talking to foreigners (which I suppose he is.) :agree:

I think Tony is indeed trying to be 'quaint and gentlemanly' and has a habit of using over flowery language for no apparent reason.

I've always found it strange that he seems to care more about trying to give off a certain impression than actually saying anything of interest.

IWasThere2016
22-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Well said McGraw! :agree: This speak gets right on ma tits too! I hate, most of all, the commentators for these crimes though, viz:

"That midfield area" - that'll be the midfield then dipstick!

"The wide areas" - that's the wing ffs!

And my no. 1 - "the Riordans, Stokeses, Benjis, Nishes etc" - it is "Riordan, Stokes, Benji .." As there are NOT 3, 5 or 10 of them but 1 .. Yes just 1 of each player!!! :grr:

And breathe ...

PS - Last half day at work today and then its the holidays :greengrin :wink:

HFC 0-7
22-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Far too many oxygen thiefs on this thread! Moan Moan Moan! I am just waiting for the 'I remember the day......'posts.

It must be hard for you coffin dodgers at this time of year finding something to moan about, its christmas, which is a cheery time, Hibs are doing well, Hearts are rubbish!:wink:

--------
22-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Sportsmen cliches get up my nose. Talking about golfers, have you noticed the Tiger Woods influence ( pre scandal days ). At the end of every interview he says "Thanks, appreciate it." Now every golfer under the sun says it after every interview............yugggghhh

Another one is the line in American cop shows when the cops are interviewing the victim's wife/ husband/ significant other/ dog/ budgie:

"I'm sorry for your loss...." :rolleyes:

And now I'm off through the drifts to school for a Christmas service and then back to the fireside... :devil:

GieTheBaTaeReilly
22-12-2009, 10:25 AM
And my no. 1 - "the Riordans, Stokeses, Benjis, Nishes etc" - it is "Riordan, Stokes, Benji .." As there are NOT 3, 5 or 10 of them but 1 .. Yes just 1 of each player!!! :grr:

:top marksI hate that too.