PDA

View Full Version : Hibs can make serious challenge in SPL title race!

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I feel that we can do something special this year, with the ugly sisters not doing as well as expected and the famous Hi-bees grinding out the results.

All is well down Leith at the moment and long may that continue :notworthy:

I'm with Zemmama on this one. :wink:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/-Zemmama-Hibs-can-make.5927549.jp

mayo hibee
21-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Would absolutely love to see it, and as long as we're within 4 or 5 points will keep hoping.

But if we fall away a bit it's no shame at all, if we came a comfortable third this season and kept the OF gap similar to the one back to the pack (and built the new stand at the same time) that would still lay down a serious statement of intent for the next few seasons.

Woody1985
21-12-2009, 12:59 PM
We'll have a better idea whether we can challenge after the next 3 games.

Rangers and Celtic (IIRC) have some hard games coming up as do we.

I'm naturally pessimistic and see us fading away but hopefully I'm proved wrong cos I'm seek of being a miserable ****. :greengrin

joe breezy
21-12-2009, 01:00 PM
This is probably our one and only chance - if Hibs were to do anything significant this season any good players would be off in the Summer

Keith_M
21-12-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm natually pesssimistic so see us fading away but hopefully I'm proved wrong cos I'm seek of being a miserable ****. :greengrin

What he said.

:wink:

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 01:21 PM

I'm naturally pesssimistic and see us fading away but hopefully I'm proved wrong cos I'm seek of being a miserable ****. :greengrin

You looking forward to Christmas then? :wink: I think if we can add one or two in the window we will be in the mix to give those ugly sister something to think about..enjoy the ride. :cool2:

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm naturally pesssimistic and see us fading away but hopefully I'm proved wrong cos I'm seek of being a miserable ****. :greengrin

Some good games to look forward to.

I see the Uglies KO at 12-30 on the 3rd, so we will know exactly how many we need to score against the Yams to go top :wink: :offski:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/fixtures/default.stm

hfc rd
21-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I think if we get something against rangers this saturday then we are definite title contenders. We just need to keep picking up the points and hope rangers, celtic and possibly dundee untited drop some along the way.
What a season to be a Hibee!! :greengrin
:notworthy:

Baw187
21-12-2009, 01:58 PM
If we beat the Huns, I'll start to believe we can live with the pressure it takes to seriously challenge.

This game is a proverbial 6 pointer and with Hibs more than capable of beating anyone at home, if we get beat, it'll be because Rangers have rissen to the occasion, and no doubt, we've bottled it.

They will be massivly up for this match with the opportunity to put us 8 points behind and pretty much kill off our challenge. They are seasoned campainers at winning these kind of matches - the ones that really matter.

If Hibs approach this with the correct mentality, play their own game, and come up trumps, it will be the biggest indication yet that we can handle the psycological side of being winners.

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 05:08 PM
If we beat the Huns, I'll start to believe we can live with the pressure it takes to seriously challenge.

This game is a proverbial 6 pointer and with Hibs more than capable of beating anyone at home, if we get beat, it'll be because Rangers have rissen to the occasion, and no doubt, we've bottled it.

They will be massivly up for this match with the opportunity to put us 8 points behind and pretty much kill off our challenge. They are seasoned campainers at winning these kind of matches - the ones that really matter.

If Hibs approach this with the correct mentality, play their own game, and come up trumps, it will be the biggest indication yet that we can handle the psycological side of being winners.

On the other hand IF we can do the business on the 27th then all pressure shifts to the Huns game V Dundee Utd 30th, and their Ugly sister on the 3rd....

Life is good...:cool2:

PeeJay
21-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I think if we get something against rangers this saturday then we are definite title contenders. We just need to keep picking up the points and hope rangers, celtic and possibly dundee untited drop some along the way.
What a season to be a Hibee!! :greengrin

Saturday - the game is on Sunday, surely - 27/12/2009 - :confused:?? Agree with you - picking up points regularly is the key to everything, and anyway it's far to early in the season to be pessimistic or optimistic really - let's just enjoy our good fortune as long as it lasts?:greengrin

Ozyhibby
21-12-2009, 05:57 PM
It looks like we will be lucky to finish 4th according to this,

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68117
:greengrin

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 05:59 PM
It looks like we will be lucky to finish 4th according to this,

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68117
:greengrin

Got to log-in, not a member so what is it saying ? :cool2:

Dashing Bob S
21-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Who cares about what the weedgie press, katey, wattie, the EEN, the Yams, Zemmama or anybody has to say about this? Ultimately it's all crap and everything is won and lost in performances. The team should be focused on the Huns game, and when that's done, the visit to Perth, then the Yams game, and following that the Irvine cup tie.

Hughes has only been in charge for 17 games. The side are still gelling. Give him a chance!

Littlest Hobo
21-12-2009, 06:04 PM

:thumbsup: Exactly my thoughts. :wink:

Littlest Hobo
21-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Who cares about what the weedgie press, katey, wattie, the EEN, the Yams, Zemmama or anybody has to say about this? Ultimately it's all crap and everything is won and lost in performances. The team should be focused on the Huns game, and when that's done, the visit to Perth, then the Yams game, and following that the Irvine cup tie.

Hughes has only been in charge for 17 games. The side are still gelling. Give him a chance!

Not been the most pleasing on the eye so far this season but we have managed to score goals. This is the most important thing of all, keep scoring and we'll no be far away!

Viva_Palmeiras
21-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Andrew Smith IIRC bangs on about the 6-1 victory for Rangers v Motherwell and how if we are beaten by Gers there will be a familiar look and the Gers will be on track for a better points tally than this time last season.

1) There's not much Hibs can do about how the OF dismantle other teams.

2) So what if Gers then realise a better points haul than last season just goes to show how far we've come to even be where we are.

All we can do is look at our games play the right team selection tactics be determined, graft and hopefully carry a bit of luck. If that keeps us up there fine, we can only do the best we can and see where it leaves us.

To bang on about previous history, whilst it tells a tale, history is about the past, not building the future. Did the Red Sox believe that history and their form would mean they'd never see a world series?

So in stead of Why? ask Why Not?

Better still dont ask either question and enjoy the ride - we're Hibees afterall :notworthy:

matty_f
21-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Rangers were in a similar situation when we played them at Ibrox, up until their last two games their performance in the 1-1 draw with us was their best of the season - and they didn't win.

I don't think our performance that day was the best we've produced, though it was up there.

Sunday's game is massive - but it's not the be-all and end-all.

History tells us that one of the OF will win the league this season, and that they'll both be way ahead of us on points come the closing game of the season.

However, history has no bearing on this season. We are up there with the uglies on merit this season. Our defensive record is fantastic, and we've got goalscorers doing the business at the other end. We've got quality as good as any in the SPL in Zemmama, Bamba, Miller, Stokes, and Riordan so we shouldn't be running scared of anyone.

We're nearly half-way through the season. Nobody so far (with the exception of Hamilton, bizarrely enough) has outplayed us over the 90 minutes, and we've shown ourselves to be very difficult to beat.

We've dropped silly points, but we've also picked up points where the OF haven't.

I don't think we will win the league, but I'd be hugely disappointed if (even if they don't say so publicly) that target is not in the sights of the players when we're this close at this stage of the season.

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Rangers were in a similar situation when we played them at Ibrox, up until their last two games their performance in the 1-1 draw with us was their best of the season - and they didn't win.

I don't think our performance that day was the best we've produced, though it was up there.

Sunday's game is massive - but it's not the be-all and end-all.

History tells us that one of the OF will win the league this season, and that they'll both be way ahead of us on points come the closing game of the season.

However, history has no bearing on this season. We are up there with the uglies on merit this season. Our defensive record is fantastic, and we've got goalscorers doing the business at the other end. We've got quality as good as any in the SPL in Zemmama, Bamba, Miller, Stokes, and Riordan so we shouldn't be running scared of anyone.

We're nearly half-way through the season. Nobody so far (with the exception of Hamilton, bizarrely enough) has outplayed us over the 90 minutes, and we've shown ourselves to be very difficult to beat.

We've dropped silly points, but we've also picked up points where the OF haven't.

I don't think we will win the league, but I'd be hugely disappointed if (even if they don't say so publicly) that target is not in the sights of the players when we're this close at this stage of the season.

Our only unknown at this moment is how will our defence cope without Bamba:worried:

wee 162
21-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Andrew Smith IIRC bangs on about the 6-1 victory for Rangers v Motherwell and how if we are beaten by Gers there will be a familiar look and the Gers will be on track for a better points tally than this time last season.

1) There's not much Hibs can do about how the OF dismantle other teams.

2) So what if Gers then realise a better points haul than last season just goes to show how far we've come to even be where we are.

All we can do is look at our games play the right team selection tactics be determined, graft and hopefully carry a bit of luck. If that keeps us up there fine, we can only do the best we can and see where it leaves us.

To bang on about previous history, whilst it tells a tale, history is about the past, not building the future. Did the Red Sox believe that history and their form would mean they'd never see a world series?

So in stead of Why? ask Why Not?

Better still dont ask either question and enjoy the ride - we're Hibees afterall :notworthy:

You would have thought that if you're using Motherwell as a yardstick then Hibs being the only side who will have taken full points off them after the first two sets of fixtures might say something...

In fact of the sides in the top 6 atm, we've taken more points than Rangers and the same as Celtic from them.

matty_f
21-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Our only unknown at this moment is how will our defence cope without Bamba:worried:

Depends who's in goals.:devil:

I'm only kidding, of course.:agree:

FWIW, I don't see Bamba as being irreplacable. I dunno why, I think he's been immense this season but I don't think we've won games because of him, if that makes sense.

'tis a good point you make, though, and how the defence reacts without Bamba may play a huge part in how the rest of the season pans out.

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Did no too bad at tincastle with a squad of players that played their hearts out.
I'm aware that it was for one night only but I also think we can get over losing Bamba for this spell.
JH will have been giving it his attention and I who have faith in this squad fears nobody...:take that

Let Battle Commence.....:notworthy:

bighairyfaeleith
21-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't think the loss of bamba will be that big, I reckon with hanlon stepping in we should be ok.

Prefer to have bamba around but he's not so lets just make the most of it.

EasterRoad4Ever
21-12-2009, 07:21 PM

:agree: This type of game against the OF is usually the match that the pretenders come up short. think about the Yams over the last few years when they have been challenging - Huns at PBS (Davis as linesman), 2-0 up v Celtic only to lose 3-2 etc. DUFC last week was another one of these matches. Whether it is a dodgy decision, or the team bottling it, teams ALWAYS come up short when the pressure is on against the OF.

40 years of Hibs bottling it against the OF/Yams/Dons etc says we should realistically be thnking of 3rd place - and be content with that.

lucky
21-12-2009, 07:22 PM
In the record today Jamie Langfield said that after Hibs scored it was like playing the OF. We out passed them and picked them off. As such I do believe we are challengers and the xmas period will shape our challenge. If others think we are that good enough then we should too. But Bamba will be a big miss

Leithenhibby
21-12-2009, 07:33 PM
In the record today Jamie Langfield said that after Hibs scored it was like playing the OF. We out passed them and picked them off. As such I do believe we are challengers and the xmas period will shape our challenge. If others think we are that good enough then we should too. But Bamba will be a big miss

I think JH will try to get the players thinking that way :agree: just not PUBLICLY...:notworthy:...

hibiedude
22-12-2009, 08:53 AM
The good signs are we keep picking up points when we are not at our best.

Sundays game will be a massive test for us because if we get anything out of that game then who knows how far this run will take us.

basehibby
22-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I feel that we can do something special this year, with the ugly sisters not doing as well as expected and the famous Hi-bees grinding out the results.

All is well down Leith at the moment and long may that continue :notworthy:

I'm with Zemmama on this one. :wink:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/-Zemmama-Hibs-can-make.5927549.jp

:agree: I too feel there is a chance of a genuine challenge from Hibs this season IF - and only IF - the team is strengthened in January and all talk of our top performers being moved on proves to be nonsense.

Here's hoping - we'd all love to see it happening :pray:

stubru59
22-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Celtic will strengthen in the transfer window. Rangers may well be weakened.

Bamba will be a loss. How big a loss will depend on who we bring in.

Should we lose on Sunday, the task of catching Rangers will be difficult - though not impossible.

So, all to play for really, and if we're not going for the big prize we may as well pack up and go home.

What we catch on the slip-stream (second or third place) would be a bonus all the rest would love.

brydekirk
22-12-2009, 04:37 PM
:agree: I too feel there is a chance of a genuine challenge from Hibs this season IF - and only IF - the team is strengthened in January and all talk of our top performers being moved on proves to be nonsense.

Here's hoping - we'd all love to see it happening :pray:

yogi will strengthen in january and there is no doubt they will be quality players. he wont sign someone just for the sake of it. :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
22-12-2009, 04:39 PM
A draw against Rangers will not be a disaster after all one or both of the OF are going to drop points the following weekend.

Ritchie
22-12-2009, 04:39 PM
there is not a snowballs chance in hell we'll win the league. :boo hoo:

HibbyAndy
22-12-2009, 04:43 PM
there is not a snowballs chance in hell we'll win the league. :boo hoo:

Correct.

Europa league place will do me fine.:agree:

Ritchie
22-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Correct.

Europa league place will do me fine.:agree:

:agree:

lets be honest, say we did finish 2nd.... we'd get bombed out the champions league qualifier.

we'd have a better chance in the europa league to have a longer run in europe next season.

i'd love to be proved wrong though!! :rolleyes:

brydekirk
22-12-2009, 05:08 PM
:agree:

lets be honest, say we did finish 2nd.... we'd get bombed out the champions league qualifier.

we'd have a better chance in the europa league to have a longer run in europe next season.

i'd love to be proved wrong though!! :rolleyes:

very true but its the same as saying, stick your £10,000,000 up your erky, we only need £1,000,000 :agree:

Wakeyhibee
22-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Once suspensions and injuries take their toll I find it very hard to believe we will still be in touching disance of the OF regardless of how poor they are by their standards.

This is the most open SPL I have seen in ages up to Christmas with 4 teams in it up to now. I hope I am wrong and if we are still there at March a diferent story maybe but I doubt it.

Having said that we are well placed for a Euro place, hopefully a good Scottish Cup run a nd watching better football than under Mixu so I am really pleased with the season so far.

GreenCastle
22-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Europa League would do me :agree:

Although RANTIC are useless this season and we have done well to say up there I can't see it lasting too long as we are due to have some sort of bad run as all teams do.

I do think we have to be realistic and I always have thought we need more ambition but I would love to see us enter the Europa League and get a few games / Euro experience then build from there.

A new stand and Europa league for next season would be immense :thumbsup:

Hibsandaroo
22-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Beating the currants will be one thing, beating Ian brines will be just as hard.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Once suspensions and injuries take their toll I find it very hard to believe we will still be in touching disance of the OF regardless of how poor they are by their standards.

This is the most open SPL I have seen in ages up to Christmas with 4 teams in it up to now. I hope I am wrong and if we are still there at March a diferent story maybe but I doubt it.

Having said that we are well placed for a Euro place, hopefully a good Scottish Cup run a nd watching better football than under Mixu so I am really pleased with the season so far.

Obviously you mean the OF and the Big Team from Tynecastle, that is Scotland's third force, but who is the fourth? :confused::greengrin

King Paddy
22-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Zemamma should keep his mouth shut. The old firm are still miles ahead of us and all it will do is stir them up on Sunday!!.

wee 162
22-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Zemamma should keep his mouth shut. The old firm are still miles ahead of us and all it will do is stir them up on Sunday!!.

1 and 5 points is miles nowadays?

Jim44
22-12-2009, 11:52 PM

I don't agree that it will stir them up. They are always arrogant enough to believe that they should and will win every game. It's actually a bit of fresh air to hear a Hibs player express confidence and mean it. They won't give a damn what other players say, in fact they'll likely be having a wee laugh at Zemmama's opinion. We have absolutely nothing to lose on Sunday. If we win, great. If we lose, ok, disappointment, but it's only one of a few we will lose and we'll regroup and carry on with our rejuvenation under John Hughes.

basehibby
23-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Europa League would do me :agree:

Although RANTIC are useless this season and we have done well to say up there I can't see it lasting too long as we are due to have some sort of bad run as all teams do.

I do think we have to be realistic and I always have thought we need more ambition but I would love to see us enter the Europa League and get a few games / Euro experience then build from there.

A new stand and Europa league for next season would be immense :thumbsup:

We may have run with our luck sometimes this season but I think your location is telling - you obviously haven't been watching the team much lately and it tells - I'd say from what I've seen that there's more to come from this team this season - they've been threathening but haven't really hit top form yet for me - I'm hoping they'll hit it this Sunday cos they'll need to if they're to knock the huns off their stride as they HAVE been on fire lately. Notably in the form of much debunked ex-Hibby Miller who we'll really need to watch out for IMO.

basehibby
23-12-2009, 04:12 AM

That's just BS for me - Zemama's not from our restrained norh european culture and he's hopefully just saying what all the other guys in the squad feel - that Hibs have got a chance to put the cat amongst the pidgeons and their going to do their damdest to make it happen!
Zemama thrives on being the target for the ire of his oponents if events on sataurday are anything to go by anyway - so his comments don't concern me at all :bye:

talking_wiss
23-12-2009, 05:16 AM

Nonsense, a bit of belief is what we need. About time players outside the old firm started having a bit more belief in themselves, I'm sure the Morrocans find it all a bit odd why Hibs can't believe they could rumble the Weegie party. Time to talk the team up not belittle ourselves with the usual we're just small provincial wannabee's.

cad
23-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Take the 3 pts of them , a draws no good IMO this time ,beat them and its game on.

Mon The Cabbage

RoYO!
23-12-2009, 09:06 AM

same can be said for katies comments earlier this week saying the OF will finish miles ahead, that will fire the hibs players up.

saying that i dont think that anyone will need more firing up for this one.

a long term boyd injury/ selling him in jan and they could really struggle.