PDA

View Full Version : NHC Craig Levein is Scotland manager (merged)

Billychaotic182
21-12-2009, 11:14 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8424274.stm

Sorry if already posted

Keith_M
21-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I just read the article and feel like I've already read most of this before. Sounds a bit re-hashed from stuff over the last few days.

If this is true, and he takes the job, it's going to be a blow to Dundee United. I realise I'm supposed to take the partisan approach that any weakening of the opposition is good for Hibs but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed that this could also weaken the newly found competitiveness of the SPL.

Bad Martini
21-12-2009, 11:21 AM
From the names touted and putting aside the potter's yamish past, he is (possibly - same was said for Burley) the best man for the job.

I am happy to forget his yamishness if he can put Scotland back on the right track.

Also worth noting he wasn't shy in ripping hearts and calling them cheating barstewards when utd were done not so long ago.

We'll see what happens though I canny see him being any worse than Burley and in all honesty, he has potential to do a good job.

...and it'll weaken Utd :greengrin :devil:

iwasthere1972
21-12-2009, 12:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8424274.stm

Sorry if already posted

The fact that the mighty Hibees are more likely to get the 3rd spot in the SPL that the Arabs will make his decision to accept the Scotland post easier.

Good news for Scotland and great news for Hibs. :agree:

Woody1985
21-12-2009, 12:08 PM
The fact that the mighty Hibees are more likely to get the 3rd spot in the SPL that the Arabs will make his decision to accept the Scotland post easier.

Good news for Scotland and great news for Hibs. :agree:

Why is it currently more likely? I'd say that it's still very tight and can go either way.

I'd say it makes the decision harder knowing he can push them onto 3rd or maybe better.

GreenCastle
21-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Hum....

iwasthere1972
21-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Why is it currently more likely? I'd say that it's still very tight and can go either way.

I'd say it makes the decision harder knowing he can push them onto 3rd or maybe better.

Based on optimism only. :cool2:

Billychaotic182
21-12-2009, 12:17 PM
If he goes i would put money on the 2 jimmys taking the UTD Job

Woody1985
21-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Based on optimism only. :cool2:

I'm a pessimist you see. :greengrin

Woody1985
21-12-2009, 12:19 PM

:woohoo:

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Another glorious instance of the ambition of the GFA..

Frazerbob
21-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Who would you go for?

Billychaotic182
21-12-2009, 12:45 PM

CL would be my 1st Choice

IWasThere2016
21-12-2009, 12:52 PM

I think you'll lose that bet :wink:

jonty
21-12-2009, 12:55 PM
From the names touted and putting aside the potter's yamish past, he is (possibly - same was said for Burley) the best man for the job.

I am happy to forget his yamishness if he can put Scotland back on the right track.

Also worth noting he wasn't shy in ripping hearts and calling them cheating barstewards when utd were done not so long ago.

We'll see what happens though I canny see him being any worse than Burley and in all honesty, he has potential to do a good job.

...and it'll weaken Utd :greengrin :devil:

And Dundee (if they can keep up the results and get promoted) might enjoy a few Dundee derbys :devil: :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Who would you go for?

No idea who's available or who is interested but I'd reckon there's someone out there who may be interested who has actually coached/managed a team that has won something, has experience of big games, tournaments and high profile scenarios..

Cheap, boring, predictable and unambitious appointment from the goons through the west..

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2009, 01:11 PM
And Dundee (if they can keep up the results and get promoted) might enjoy a few Dundee derbys :devil: :thumbsup:

At least until they go bust and get relegated again.

:yawn:

Come on, put yer cards on the table. I agree that the prospect of those two pitching up at Tannadice is unlikely.

I'll also wager it's not Luggy, who doesn't want the hassle and is on a nice sinecure at Plymouth. I've a bad feeling they might look at McInnes with interest, although can Yinitit afford the £2.95 compensation?

:greengrin

No idea who's available or who is interested but I'd reckon there's someone out there who may be interested who has actually coached/managed a team that has won something, has experience of big games, tournaments and high profile scenarios..

Cheap, boring, predictable and unambitious appointment from the goons through the west..

I nearly pished myself laughing at one of the callers to the weegie papers who made the same point, before demanding that the SFA approach Kevin Keegan.

:crazy:

jonty
21-12-2009, 01:13 PM
At least until they go bust and get relegated again.

:yawn:

Shooshed you - it's easier to travel to Dens than it is to McDiarmid :greengrin

If CL gets/takes the Scotland job, I won't be too upset.

IWasThere2016
21-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Shooshed you - it's easier to travel to Dens than it is to McDiarmid :greengrin

If CL gets/takes the Scotland job, I won't be too upset.

If = when (I believe) :cool2:

Hibby Bairn
21-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Chisholm (QOS), McInnes (St J) or......Mixu! :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Chisholm (QOS)

Previously heaved by Stephen Thompson's old man

or......Mixu! :greengrin

I think I would laugh myself to death if that happened.

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 01:30 PM
CL would be my 1st Choice

Not being cheeky but why?

The previous poster mentioned ambition and by that he probably means paying money for someone with a successful track record as some other countries do.

We seem to have reached a state where a guy who has won nothing, bombed in England and taken Dundee Utd to the heady heights of fifth in the SPL last two years is seen as some kind of dream choice for the Scotland job by some.

Moaning face, stubborn, whinging git with plenty to say about referees, SFA and anyone else to blame when his team loses.

Showed his class when he had a dig at Mowbray for not drinking with him at Tynie then promptly dumping Hearts(and his wife) and buggering off to Leicester.

Needless to say not my no1 choice and can't understand the Levein love in.:bitchy:

Billy Whizz
21-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Chisholm (QOS), McInnes (St J) or......Mixu! :greengrin

Mixu is actually an old pal of Stephen Thompson's so don't be surprised if he is a strong candidate, although Levein may have a say in his successor!

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2009, 01:43 PM

The previous poster mentioned ambition and by that he probably means paying money for someone with a successful track record as some other countries do.

We seem to have reached a state where a guy who has won nothing, bombed in England and taken Dundee Utd to the heady heights of fifth in the SPL last two years is seen as some kind of dream choice for the Scotland job by some.

Moaning face, stubborn, whinging git with plenty to say about referees, SFA and anyone else to blame when his team loses.

Showed his class when he had a dig at Mowbray for not drinking with him at Tynie then promptly dumping Hearts(and his wife) and buggering off to Leicester.

Needless to say not my no1 choice and can't understand the Levein love in.:bitchy:

That point in particular bugs me.

Bill Brown and Willie Ormond both took St. Johnstone to the dizzy heights of top half of the first division, got the Scotland job and did reasonably well in it. Ormond was arguably Scotland's best manager.

The SFA have to have to take some sort of risk in appointment, because nobody is going to leave a Premier League or OF job to take the Scotland job nowadays. That means taking someone who's unemployed (usually with good reason) or someone working for a "diddy" club (who probably hasn't won anything). The only manager in the SPL outside Walter Smith who's won something more substantial than a lower division championship is Jefferies.

If you were to go strictly by the "won something" criteria, Jefferies and Collins would head the list. I don't think that would be correct.

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 01:56 PM
That point in particular bugs me.

Bill Brown and Willie Ormond both took St. Johnstone to the dizzy heights of top half of the first division, got the Scotland job and did reasonably well in it. Ormond was arguably Scotland's best manager.

The SFA have to have to take some sort of risk in appointment, because nobody is going to leave a Premier League or OF job to take the Scotland job nowadays. That means taking someone who's unemployed (usually with good reason) or someone working for a "diddy" club (who probably hasn't won anything). The only manager in the SPL outside Walter Smith who's won something more substantial than a lower division championship is Jefferies.

If you were to go strictly by the "won something" criteria, Jefferies and Collins would head the list. I don't think that would be correct.

You will be happy then PTS when he get's the job.

But out of these multitude of available people who have won nothing in the game why pick him. Just the latest media luvvie if you ask me.

Ambition would have seen the SFA insisting on only selecting someone who had "won something" IMO. Under your criteria we'd be as well going back down the Andy Roxburgh/Craig Brown route and saving ourselves even more cash.

Dashing Bob S
21-12-2009, 01:58 PM
In international terms, given his record, CL would be an exceptionally mediocre manager. For Scotland however, given that the national team is now roughly equivalent to the Faroe Islands or San Marino in stature, it's a big appointment.

Domestically, great for Hibs, as it potentially weakens United, as CL has proven himself to be a decent club in the backwater of Scottish club football.

Not that concerned about Scotland, but if they must appoint a Yam, it's far better that he isn't a slavering jakey as well.

Part/Time Supporter
21-12-2009, 02:04 PM
You will be happy then PTS when he get's the job.

But out of these multitude of available people who have won nothing in the game why pick him. Just the latest media luvvie if you ask me.

Ambition would have seen the SFA insisting on only selecting someone who had "won something" IMO. Under your criteria we'd be as well going back down the Andy Roxburgh/Craig Brown route and saving ourselves even more cash.

Levein wasn't exactly a luvvie when he was having his disputes with referees and the SFA circa 18 months ago. Some media contributors sided with him, but just as many tore into him. Stuart Dougal is doing that again in a certain redtop today, saying that Levein might be a good Scotland manager in 5 years.

And the Roxburgh/Brown route wasn't that bad, was it?

:stirrer:

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Levein wasn't exactly a luvvie when he was having his disputes with referees and the SFA circa 18 months ago. Some media contributors sided with him, but just as many tore into him. Stuart Dougal is doing that again in a certain redtop today, saying that Levein might be a good Scotland manager in 5 years.

And the Roxburgh/Brown route wasn't that bad, was it?

:stirrer:

That's the point I was making PTS:greengrin

He does seem a bit of a media darling at the moment though, dont you agree:dunno:

New Corrie
21-12-2009, 02:31 PM
This really surprises me, great news if you are a Scotland fan as I reckon he will do very well. The SFA must have changed their "yes man" policy as CL is most certainly his own man and stands up for himself and his players. I like Levein and I wish him all the best, I just thought he had a bit more ambition than being Scotland manager.

GreenPJ
21-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Am not against Craig Levein being in charge of the national team but the SFA are screwing up again. You need to have at least considered and interviewed some others than just one person. Where is the due dilligence in that process.

To me this stinks of going for a scotsman that they can afford.

As I say I think that Levein will actually do a decent job but would prefer to see him get the job after having interviewed and ruled out others if appropriate.

RIP
21-12-2009, 02:41 PM
This really surprises me, great news if you are a Scotland fan as I reckon he will do very well. The SFA must have changed their "yes man" policy as CL is most certainly his own man and stands up for himself and his players. I like Levein and I wish him all the best, I just thought he had a bit more ambition than being Scotland manager.

:agree: Well said!

Crackin picture of that child molester in your signature too :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
21-12-2009, 02:42 PM

I think Scotland will be a means to a move dann saff

hibbybob
21-12-2009, 02:58 PM

:agree: I also think he'll select players on merit ..... not just because they play for Celtic or Rangers. I also think he'll have the respect of the players!

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2009, 03:06 PM
:agree: I also think he'll select players on merit ..... not just because they play for Celtic or Rangers. I also think he'll have the respect of the players!

He will then have to deal with a media campaign to get rid of him, coupled by old firm, sorry rangers players making themselves unavailable for the national team.

New Corrie
21-12-2009, 03:12 PM

I think you are spot on Bob, he will also reopen the door to any of the ones who were up to no good. It will be a clean slate, and he will not suffer fools gladly. Interesting times ahead, at least we might have half a chance of qualifying for something.

HibeeDaz6270
21-12-2009, 03:14 PM

I guess you have a dislike towards him because he managed hearts? Craig levein is a very good manger, done fantastic at hearts, done well at leicester given the circumstances, and has done a brilliant job at dundee utd. You cannot take that away from the guy. Now i personally think Craig Levein is the best man for the job, and i know people who have worked under him, and have nothing but great things to say about him. I would think craig levein would be a very good apointment, it would also weaken dundee utd, to help guarantee the hibees european football:thumbsup:

New Corrie
21-12-2009, 03:17 PM
He will then have to deal with a media campaign to get rid of him, coupled by old firm, sorry rangers players making themselves unavailable for the national team.

He'll be able to deal with all that BH, he's shown numerous times that he is his own man. He wont be brow beaten. It's no coincidence that him and Yogi are close, similar principled managers, hard but fair with good people skills and the ability to command the respect of players.

CmoantheHibs
21-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I think he is the best choice as manager and wish him every success if he gets the job(as stated in a previous post the article only rehashes old news)There are not too many other candidates I can see.Personally after Berti Vogts reign I still worry about a foreign manager coming in.Im sure there are foreign guys that are interested and within the pay range that could do a good job but Vogts has been the worst manager in our national teams history IMO and it leaves wounds that still havent healed.I think Levein is a clever guy who gets the best out of mediocre players and if a few class players come through then I think he can make good things happen.I also think he will give young guys a chance if he thinks they are good enough.Just a shame about his yam connections but when it comes to Scotland club allegiances need t be put aside for the greater good of the country.Not sure everyone thinks the same as me on this point but a look at Scottish history shows personal infighting has been our downfall on so many occasions when unity as a nation would have brought much more success.Wheres the Wallace or the Bruce when you need them:blah::faf:

Frazerbob
21-12-2009, 03:51 PM

So, like me, you can't come up with a better option (who'd actually entertain the thought of taking the job). I'm happy to go with CL. Scottish, no OF baggage and ambitious.

ancienthibby
21-12-2009, 04:03 PM

I would be very sceptical indeed about CL taking this job. In no way does it fit the profile of a working club manager which he thrives on, and there is no way the current SFA can make the job fit, unless it fires at least two of its senior coaching staff.

I would not think CL would want to be associated with that!!

CL is very much his own man (and the media darling of the media at the moment) but this job NOW does not fit with his own career profile going forward! He has 'unfinished business' south of the border that I feel is much more important to him at this point.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-12-2009, 04:18 PM
If CL got the job dont necessarily see it as a good thing (if we're being ambitious for 3rd spot+) if DUtd lose impetus. We need other clubs competing against the OF (but falling away against other teams obviously :) )

Mikey
21-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I suspect that Levein is looking at it as more than just the Scotland manager's job. He'll be looking to oversee that whole set up and put changes in place that will filter right down.

He did a fantastic job at Dundee United and ended up on the board there.

Arch Stanton
21-12-2009, 04:31 PM

I don't know, if he follows Alex McLeish's career path then he won't do too badly - he is a better manager than Eck for a start (IMO at least).

GreenCastle
21-12-2009, 04:34 PM
If CL got the job dont necessarily see it as a good thing (if we're being ambitious for 3rd spot+) if DUtd lose impetus. We need other clubs competing against the OF (but falling away against other teams obviously :) )

Agree with that - we need as many teams taking points off the old firm as possible - that sadly includes the yams.

But from a selfish point of view I want Hibs to well and if a challenger suffers ( losing thier manager mid way through the season - then that can't be a bad thing).

The Scotland job is less money than he is on at Dundee Utd plus I think Levein is worried about what he will do in the free time. Think Scotland only have about 7 or 8 games next year anyway.

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I guess you have a dislike towards him because he managed hearts? Craig levein is a very good manger, done fantastic at hearts, done well at leicester given the circumstances, and has done a brilliant job at dundee utd. You cannot take that away from the guy. Now i personally think Craig Levein is the best man for the job, and i know people who have worked under him, and have nothing but great things to say about him. I would think craig levein would be a very good apointment, it would also weaken dundee utd, to help guarantee the hibees european football:thumbsup:

Give me some cedit Daz:bitchy: Yes I dislike the man but it's nothing to do with Hearts links, I just don't like his 'pesonality' and his constant moaning.

As for you breakdown of his manageial career I disagree completely and don't consider it anything special at all. That's opinions for you:greengrin

As for weakening Dundee Utd, well, who knows they might get better under a new man. Happens quite a lot when he leaves clubs:wink:

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I suspect that Levein is looking at it as more than just the Scotland manager's job. He'll be looking to oversee that whole set up and put changes in place that will filter right down.

He did a fantastic job at Dundee United and ended up on the board there.

Hate to keep banging on about it, but how exactly?

Won nothing, didn't qualify for Europe. Has finished 5th twice.

Overated IMO Mikey.

IWasThere2016
21-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Overated IMO Mikey.

That's with half the resources we have. They were a total shambles when he took over. He has overhauled their youth set-up. Tied better players to long-term contracts. Signed wisely. Is held in very high regard - have you heard anyone in the game saying he's not the man for the job? His players (including senior ones who have been elsewhere) say he's the best they've worked with.

Sooner he's oot of Tannadeechee the better! :greengrin

Andy74
21-12-2009, 05:28 PM
That's with half the resources we have. They were a total shambles when he took over. He has overhauled their youth set-up. Tied better players to long-term contracts. Signed wisely. Is held in very high regard - have you heard anyone in the game saying he's not the man for the job? His players (including senior ones who have been elsewhere) say he's the best they've worked with.

Didn't we keep hearing that Dundee Utd pay better than us? :confused:

Spike Mandela
21-12-2009, 05:36 PM

Guess I'm in the minority here TQM but I'll stick to my guns here and state IMO he is overrated.

George Burley was held in high regard, I've read articles in newspapers stating othe candidates are the man fo the job and most players will say good things about their managers especially when they are looking for a new contract.

As for youth set ups and contracts, I'll take your word for it but it doesn't make him ideal Scotland material in my eyes.

Just don't like him TQM, sorry. I'd rather Scotland get him than Yogi though:hnet:

bigwheel
21-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Agree with that - we need as many teams taking points off the old firm as possible - that sadly includes the yams.

But from a selfish point of view I want Hibs to well and if a challenger suffers ( losing thier manager mid way through the season - then that can't be a bad thing).

The Scotland job is less money than he is on at Dundee Utd plus I think Levein is worried about what he will do in the free time. Think Scotland only have about 7 or 8 games next year anyway.

Nah, ....he'll be getting at least 250K pa for the Scotland job....can't see him getting that for D Utd....

NOLA
21-12-2009, 05:50 PM
levein to be announced tomorrow as new manager:thumbsup:

johnrebus
21-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Guess I'm in the minority here TQM but I'll stick to my guns here and state IMO he is overrated.

George Burley was held in high regard, I've read articles in newspapers stating othe candidates are the man fo the job and most players will say good things about their managers especially when they are looking for a new contract.

As for youth set ups and contracts, I'll take your word for it but it doesn't make him ideal Scotland material in my eyes.

Just don't like him TQM, sorry. I'd rather Scotland get him than Yogi though:hnet:

You are not alone.

IMHO Craig Levein is a greetin' faced, self opinionated, arrogant. paranoid, over rated, dour faced, miserable Jambo twat.

His track record as a manager is slightly above average at best, and he has done very little to suggest that he will make a success of the Scotland job.

He will fall flat on his face and end up managing Hamilton Accies or Morton.

Which is just about his true level.

:grr:

bingo70
21-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Overated IMO Mikey.

:agree:

I've been banging that drum since people were wanting him to get the Hibs job in the summer.

I just don't get where his reputation comes from, he's a decent SPL manager but i've seen nothing to suggest he's any better than that. Jimmy Calderwood took over a dreadfull aberdeen team and achieved more than Levien has done, 3rd in the league and a good run in Europe yet if he was given the job there'd be a national outcry.

That said, he always seems to talk sense about football and i think he seems like a decent bloke so here's hoping he does a good job.

Keith_M
21-12-2009, 06:28 PM
On the point about why Levein is the new media darling, isn't that obvious? Walter Smith announced that Levein should be the next Scotland manager and the meedja are hardly likely to disagree.

It basically looks, to me at least, like Walter Smith is the one that decided who the next Scotland manager is, not Gordon Smith. What a wonderfull cuntry we live in......

HibbyAndy
21-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I think CL will be an excellent manager for Scotland, he knows how to find decent players, rough diamonds if you like and make them great players..he will have totall respect in the dressing room..he's got DUFC punching way above there weight, also done well at Hearts and Cowdenbeath albeit pretty grim at Leicester.

A newby to international level, but im pretty sure he will do just fine.

Also leaves the Arabs short of a very good manager.

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2009, 06:54 PM
So, like me, you can't come up with a better option (who'd actually entertain the thought of taking the job). I'm happy to go with CL. Scottish, no OF baggage and ambitious.

It's not our job to find a replacement..

It's the clowns that get paid thousands upon thousands of pounds' job..

How can the ROI attract a far superior candidate like Trap and the best we can manage is a guy who's greatest achievement is finishing 5th in the SPL..

HibbyAndy
21-12-2009, 06:56 PM
It's not our job to find a replacement..

It's the clowns that get paid thousands upon thousands of pounds' job..

How can the ROI attract a far superior candidate like Trap and the best we can manage is a guy who's greatest achievement is finishing 5th in the SPL..

In a nutshell? Money.

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2009, 07:03 PM
In a nutshell? Money.

I know that..

But how and why?

Surely the SFA has/generates more money than the Irish FA!

If not then why not? Too many suited up goonies? The suited up goonies earn too much? Too many cling ons and pointless joeys with jobs?

If this is the problem then it's genuinely pathetic :bitchy:

ancient hibee
21-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Bankrolled by an Irish millionaire.

bingo70
21-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I know that..

But how and why?

Surely the SFA has/generates more money than the Irish FA!

If not then why not? Too many suited up goonies? The suited up goonies earn too much?

If this is the problem then it's genuinely pathetic :bitchy:

I agree with you, it's not the Irish FA that are paying Trappatoni though, they got some wealthy irish geezer to pay his wages, not sure how they did that though or what he gets in return but sounds to me that if we couldn't afford a top manager we should have gone down a similiar route and tried to get some outside investment.

IWasThere2016
21-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Didn't we keep hearing that Dundee Utd pay better than us? :confused:

:faf: That discussion was 3-4 seasons ago! And valid and true at the time.

GreenCastle
21-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Nah, ....he'll be getting at least 250K pa for the Scotland job....can't see him getting that for D Utd....

It's well known that the Scotland job isn't the best paid job.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more with Utd.

jacomo
21-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Sounds like he'd make an excellent Chief Exec for the SFA then.

However, few of these things matter when talking about managing the national team. With so few games, each one matters. A national coach must be tactically astute, an excellent man-manager, and be able to make the right decisions during a match.

I'm not quite sure CL fits the bill.

basehibby
22-12-2009, 01:50 AM

:agree: Wot you said!

As a Scotland fan Levein would be my choice. He has a strong track record at club level and seems to be able to spot a player and get his teams playing good effective football.
Hopefully he can transfer that to the international scene as Burley, who also boasted a decent club record, showed that this is by no means guaranteed.
He communicates intelligently and openly which is maybe why he's percieved by some as a media darling??? Maybe, maybe not - but having a good relationship with the press would certainly not hurt his chances of success with Scotland anyway.
Those who say he's the cheap option need to take a reality check - after decades of no major finals the SFA must be pretty skint and can little afford to push the boat out - thus the candidates quoted will ALL fall within certain financial parameters - and from all the candidates I've heard quoted Levein is the one I'd like to get the job.

Betty Boop
22-12-2009, 04:49 AM
What an uninspiring choice! :bitchy:

IWasThere2016
22-12-2009, 05:42 AM
:agree: Wot you said!

As a Scotland fan Levein would be my choice. He has a strong track record at club level and seems to be able to spot a player and get his teams playing good effective football.
Hopefully he can transfer that to the international scene as Burley, who also boasted a decent club record, showed that this is by no means guaranteed.
He communicates intelligently and openly which is maybe why he's percieved by some as a media darling??? Maybe, maybe not - but having a good relationship with the press would certainly not hurt his chances of success with Scotland anyway.
Those who say he's the cheap option need to take a reality check - after decades of no major finals the SFA must be pretty skint and can little afford to push the boat out - thus the candidates quoted will ALL fall within certain financial parameters - and from all the candidates I've heard quoted Levein is the one I'd like to get the job.

I agree - worthy choice IMHO.

Joe Baker II
22-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Bankrolled by an Irish millionaire.

FAI contribution to Trappatoni salary is still I gather in excess of what I understand SFA willing to pay Levein. Would like to know why.

Not neccesarily opposed to Levein though (reasonable European record with Hearts but arguably no better than Burley's), main concern is his experience in managing better players than he has done to date but he has done well with resources he has and should have won 2007-8 league cup had united been given penalty they should have been.

At least it shows Smith willing to appraoch someone who SFA and he have fallen out with in past, not disismilar to Petrie-Hughes situation and that appointment has turned out well for which Petrie, much as I have little time for him in many other ways, deserves praise.

Only worry is in Scotland it often helps get respect from players/fans/media if national manager has managed one of Celtic/Rangers but think Levein can overcome this.

laois hibby
22-12-2009, 09:33 AM
FAI pays half of Trapatonni's salary. Denis O'brien pays the other half. It is around 2 million euro for 2 years contract. Way way bigger than the SFA are prepared to pay

Oscar Lomax
22-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I cant believe all this talk about how good Dundee Utd are. Having watched them against Rangers last week, they looked dreadfull. I think Levien talks a good game half the time and when he did get a chance to manage down South, he failed.
I think its an unambitious appointment and I really think the SFA will be glad to have him as an employee, as they are sick to death of him moaning about refs and whatever other excuse he can come up with if DU get beaten.
Lets say he does do well, it will be the same as the previous managers. They get a good offer from a high profile club and walk. Gordon Smith is quoted in saying he is surprised at the quality off applicants but yet Levien is the front runner hmmm.
Nah he doesnt do it for me im afraid. I would like to know some off the names off the applicants as this is a job for an experienced manager who has a bit off a track record and is older as Im afraid Levien will be twiddling his thumbs half the time.

Bad Martini
22-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Who else would have the job?

Who else threw their hat into the ring for the job (except big Shabba fi Gorgie?)

Its true, he's not the next Alex Ferguson in managerial stakes BUT, is there anyone better/willing/interested right now in this job given the mess Burley has got us into?

What will happen here is one of two things;

1) He'll do well ala the judas bassa Smith or the judas bassa McLeish ... he'll be motivated to DO well, to move on with Scotland (hopefully) benefiting - dont anyone call the teams the 2 odious huns put out LUCKY....there was some luck, also plenty bad luck and over the piece we got what we deserved and argubaly, a bit less, particularly with the cheating Italians that done us oot our place...

OR

2) He'll do what Burley done - come in on the back of a relatively decent recent record - when Burley come in he'd done well at Hearts but totally divebombed for Scotland...somehow tho, I just dont think Levein will do that

Note: none of this changes the fact he IS a moaning faced, door pussed ex yam. That doesny matter. Boyd is a chubby unpallatable hun but anyone who can do a job for Scotland, should be in there. We can reserve oor dislike for said punters later when they're no involved with Scotland.

IMHO

New Corrie
22-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Who else would have the job?

Who else threw their hat into the ring for the job (except big Shabba fi Gorgie?)

Its true, he's not the next Alex Ferguson in managerial stakes BUT, is there anyone better/willing/interested right now in this job given the mess Burley has got us into?

What will happen here is one of two things;

1) He'll do well ala the judas bassa Smith or the judas bassa McLeish ... he'll be motivated to DO well, to move on with Scotland (hopefully) benefiting - dont anyone call the teams the 2 odious huns put out LUCKY....there was some luck, also plenty bad luck and over the piece we got what we deserved and argubaly, a bit less, particularly with the cheating Italians that done us oot our place...

OR

2) He'll do what Burley done - come in on the back of a relatively decent recent record - when Burley come in he'd done well at Hearts but totally divebombed for Scotland...somehow tho, I just dont think Levein will do that

Note: none of this changes the fact he IS a moaning faced, door pussed ex yam. That doesny matter. Boyd is a chubby unpallatable hun but anyone who can do a job for Scotland, should be in there. We can reserve oor dislike for said punters later when they're no involved with Scotland.

IMHO

Is there anyone in football who isn't a Judas Bassa? Surely Levein now falls into that catagory, turning his back on Dundee Utd to take the Mickey Mouse post of being scotland manager.

joe breezy
22-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't understand how everyone gets a crystal ball as to who is going to be a great manager?

Some managers are great at some clubs and rubbish at others...

Sometimes you get a manager with a great track record but does a terrible job in his next role

My first concern by a country mile - well probably more of a country marathon, is Hibernian Football Club

After that Scotland can be interesting but that's a very long term thing. If the new Scotland manager works well at getting youth structures in place and supporting the game at a grassroots level as well as not having an Old Firm bias, well that would be a great start and I see no reason why Levine can't manage that

johnrebus
22-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Just noticed on BBC Football website that DUFC Chairman Steven Thomson is going radge at the SFA for not agreeing or even discusing compensation before holding in depth talks with Levein about vacant Scotland job.

Can Peat and Smith get anything right ?

:confused:

Mixu62
22-12-2009, 06:41 PM
He's only the manager of a wee provincial diddy team, not a real club based in the weedge so therefore they don't matter. Amateurs!

Barney McGrew
22-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Don't know what Thomson is greeting about TBH.

The SFA asked for permission to talk to him, and Thomson agreed. Maybe he should have sorted the compensation out before he allowed Levein to talk to them if it was going to be an issue for him.

johnrebus
22-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Thomson has not been around that long but has already stood up to the Hun and the SFA

He's OK by me.

:agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Just noticed on BBC Football website that DUFC Chairman Steven Thomson is going radge at the SFA for not agreeing or even discusing compensation before holding in depth talks with Levein about vacant Scotland job.

Did Smith ever get home? Last seen wheelspinning a plush Jag at Hampden, going nowhere..... :faf:

johnrebus
22-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Did Smith ever get home? Last seen wheelspinning a plush Jag at Hampden, going nowhere..... :faf:

If his mode of transport matched his talent he'd be cycling home....,

:grr:

scoopyboy
22-12-2009, 07:23 PM

IMO he knows exactly what he's doing, namely trying to jack up the compo figure.

He was the man that allowed the SFA to speak to Levein, he could have demanded that the compo should be decided before talks commenced.

IIRC Rodders done that with WBA.

I have it on good authority that Thomson is wanting a family loan back from Utd and this looks like this could be it, Christmas come fractionally early.

Mikey
22-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Don't know what Thomson is greeting about TBH.

The SFA asked for permission to talk to him, and Thomson agreed. Maybe he should have sorted the compensation out before he allowed Levein to talk to them if it was going to be an issue for him.

That sounds about right.

I suspect the delay is because he's holding out for a big compensation payout.

johnrebus
22-12-2009, 07:27 PM
IMO he knows exactly what he's doing, namely trying to jack up the compo figure.

He was the man that allowed the SFA to speak to Levein, he could have demanded that the compo should be decided before talks commenced.

I have it on good authority that Thomson is wanting a family loan back from Utd and this looks like this could be it, Christmas come fractionally early.

Hmmmm. Seem to remember reading somewhere that the Thomson family have sunk over £5m in to DUFC.

If they are looking for a fair chunk of it back we could be looking at another Gretna.

:wink:

IWasThere2016
22-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Who telt ye that? :cool2:

Carheenlea
22-12-2009, 07:34 PM
This Thomson guy gets far too many column inches in the papers for my liking. He comes across as someone who likes the attention in my opinion.

Would never see Petrie courting the media in such ways.

scoopyboy
22-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Who telt ye that? :cool2:

Can't reveal that TQM. Can only say the guy is really accurate with his info and gets a rough ride from a lot of people on these boards.

IWasThere2016
22-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Can't reveal that TQM. Can only say the guy is really accurate with his info and gets a rough ride from a lot of people on these boards.

:hmmm:

Barney McGrew
22-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Can only say the guy is really accurate with his info

:fibber:

:lips seal

IWasThere2016
22-12-2009, 07:41 PM
:fibber:

:lips seal

:tee hee: :grr:

H18sry
22-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm sure I heard on the beeb last week that Harry Potter has a £250,000 release written into his contract :wink:

Jim44
22-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Understandably, Thomson is just frustrated that their annual, yet in-vain flirtation with third place is probably taking an early bath this season. We have to keep our foot firmly on the pedal now and take advantage of the situation.

Oscar Lomax
22-12-2009, 08:37 PM
He's only the manager of a wee provincial diddy team, not a real club based in the weedge so therefore they don't matter. Amateurs!

sums the whole situation up perfectly I would say....

ArabHibee
22-12-2009, 08:41 PM

sums the whole situation up perfectly I would say....

:agree: Me too!

Dashing Bob S
22-12-2009, 09:03 PM
To address the question in the thread, why should they be expected too? After all, they are the SFA.

bigstu
22-12-2009, 10:13 PM
i've heard that stephen thompson is not like his dad, he's apparently a complete tool. Levein wants to move on anyway as like many he doesnt get on with ST & United are in a lot of financial trouble, they need the Levein money.
Their next manager will have a tough job on his hands & it wouldn't suprise me if they went for a cheap option.

e

Future17
22-12-2009, 10:37 PM
John Hughes has suggested that the new Scotland manager could fill the gaps between international games by touring clubs and taking coaching sessions.

He has stated the Craig Levein would be welcome to take some sessions at Hibs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8427189.stm

Seems like a good idea to me and good to hear Yogi coming out with intelligent ideas like this.

Thoughts?

down-the-slope
22-12-2009, 10:41 PM
John Hughes has suggested that the new Scotland manager could fill the gaps between international games by touring clubs and taking coaching sessions.

Seems like a good idea to me and good to hear Yogi coming out with intelligent ideas like this.

Thoughts?

:agree: heard Yogi's on radio when he said this - there needs to be closer working with clubs...BUT will OF really give any priority to national side :rolleyes:

matty_f
22-12-2009, 10:41 PM

Thoughts?

I think it's a cracking idea from a really progressive manager. Yogi will, IMHO, do whatever he thinks will make Hibs a better team.

CB_NO3
22-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Thoughts?

I think its a good idea, they do things like this in England and on the continent where they have coaching confrences etc where maybe 10 or 15 coaches from League 1 and 2 will spend the day with Arsene Wenger etc in the close season. I think Scottish clubs should so these type of things.

Jim44
22-12-2009, 11:12 PM
:agree: heard Yogi's on radio when he said this - there needs to be closer working with clubs...BUT will OF really give any priority to national side :rolleyes:

I think it's a great idea to create a corporate identity between club and country and who cares about the insularity of the Old Firm? An attempt to work together with a common purpose in the next two major tournaments after South Africa might just catch the imagination of Scottish players, including Old Firm players and individual clubs and consequently the national team and esteem can only benefit from it. Better this than carrying on in the boring, time-honoured fashion of turning up with who you can get and hoping for the best. I admire Craig Levein for his belief that our National Football strategy has to be more than 'just' a few games a year.

Hainan Hibs
22-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Great idea and one that I hope Levein considers.

I had doubts over Levein becoming Scotland Boss but if he wants to change the game here like people say he does then it will be great.

We need people who take pride in our game, who want it to be improved. I'm sick of players treating the national team like some sort of piss take.

It's time serious changes were made and I hope Levein makes them.

Well done Hughes on a good suggestion.

Carheenlea
22-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Interesting suggestion from Yogi, and one that I`m sure would appeal to Craig Levein, who like Hughes, is a modern manager and keen on exploring different methods of coaching and fitness.

Let`s face it, any ideas to freshen up the International set-up has to be welcomed.

I wouldn't discount Rangers and Celtic from endorsing such a proposal, Rangers in particular (should Smith still be in charge). The Tony Mowbray before the siege mentality may well have been interested, but maybe not the Tony Mowbray of the present.

erin-go-bragh87
23-12-2009, 12:02 AM

Thoughts?

I can't see what good it would do when yogi seems to be doing pretty well on his own. Can't see what levein would bring to the training side of the club??

basehibby
23-12-2009, 01:36 AM
What an uninspiring choice! :bitchy:

What an uninspiring post ! :bitchy:

Raison d'etre???

basehibby
23-12-2009, 01:47 AM
FAI contribution to Trappatoni salary is still I gather in excess of what I understand SFA willing to pay Levein. Would like to know why.

Not neccesarily opposed to Levein though (reasonable European record with Hearts but arguably no better than Burley's), main concern is his experience in managing better players than he has done to date but he has done well with resources he has and should have won 2007-8 league cup had united been given penalty they should have been.

At least it shows Smith willing to appraoch someone who SFA and he have fallen out with in past, not disismilar to Petrie-Hughes situation and that appointment has turned out well for which Petrie, much as I have little time for him in many other ways, deserves praise.

Only worry is in Scotland it often helps get respect from players/fans/media if national manager has managed one of Celtic/Rangers but think Levein can overcome this.

Good point - signs of healthy management attitude developing in the SFA - could they be learning something from the mighty Hibees???

IWasThere2016
23-12-2009, 02:16 AM
i've heard that stephen thompson is not like his dad, he's apparently a complete tool. Levein wants to move on anyway as like many he doesnt get on with ST & United are in a lot of financial trouble, they need the Levein money.
Their next manager will have a tough job on his hands & it wouldn't suprise me if they went for a cheap option.

They do need the £s - and they will sell players in Jan and/or the Summer IMHO. No secret that the bank's been in, look at the books, and is asking to see some level of debt repayment.

Arabs have slashed their wage bill in recent seasons, and will continue to do so.

The next manager does indeed face a tough task - increasingly tough as Dundee will come up and strengthen too.

Said earlier that there will be a swing from Arabs to Dees in the next few years and if Arabs make a poor appointment this may be hastened.

Thompson Jr cannot afford 3 or 4 goes at it - like his dad had - before finding a decent manager.

Petrie's Tache
23-12-2009, 02:19 AM
They do need the £s - and they will sell players in Jan and/or the Summer IMHO.

They have slashed their wage bill, and will continue to do so.

The next manager does indeed face a tough task - increasingly tough as Dundee will come up and strengthen too.

Said earlier that there will be a swing from Arabs to Dees in the next few years and if Arabs make a poor appointment this may be hastened.

Thompson Jr cannot afford 3 or 4 goes at it - like his dad had - before finding a decent manager.

Conway and Gomis for us then?:greengrin

NOLA
23-12-2009, 10:08 AM
craig levein has left the building!!

Spike Mandela
23-12-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5794673,00.html

Bugger:grr:

Contrary to popular belief I believe our main rival for Europe at moment may actually strengthen their managerial position:bitchy:

.Sean.
23-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Contrary to popular belief I believe our main rival for Europe at moment may actually strengthen their managerial position:bitchy:

Strengthen? With Whom? :confused:

United are financially rooked, i'd be surprised if they get another like Levein.

Ed De Gramo
23-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Nah...nae chance....

If it's Sixpack, he'll do a runner as soon as Dundee Utd build something to aid the team....

MacBean
23-12-2009, 11:06 AM

hopefully only for a week or so so they can pump the huns at greyskull. a nice wee run of 4 defeats after that please :pray:

Bad Martini
23-12-2009, 11:13 AM
There's chat aboot oompa loompa Calderwood being interested :devil:

Much braw if that happens :thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
23-12-2009, 11:14 AM

I don't know if it would be. He did a decent job at Eberdeen with a squad that was much weaker than the current United one.

Wotherspiniesta
23-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Mixu is also in the frame....

hibiedude
23-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Levein is a great choice :agree:

I think Jimmy Calderwood will get the United Job :greengrin

cwilliamson85
23-12-2009, 11:40 AM
All I an say is thank you SFA.

This appointment has just helped out Hibs into 3rd in my eyes.

Dinkydoo
23-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Bit of a double edged sword this one IMO.

On one hand, the largest threat and competitor to us for a 3rd place finish this season (Dundee Utd), have just lost the best manager they've had in decades.

On the other, if we want to try and split the OF in the next 3 years (before they adapt to having to make use of low funds each season) we really need other SPL sides to not only be taking points off them on a regular basis, but on occassion, beating them. Otherwise I severly doubt that we'll be able to keep the pace up for a whole season (having to win nearly every game that is...) resulting in the SPL slowly but surely reverting back to what was the status quo for many, many years.

It's great that we have a really gid chance of finishing third now but a little disappointing that CL would jump ship at a time when the SPL is the most competitive it's been in years.

Then again, I don't think any of us would have turned down a top 3 or even 4 place at the start of the season.

I'm just being greedy now :greengrin

MyJo
23-12-2009, 12:03 PM
this, along with the loss of their loan signings who probably wont be replaced in January is a good boost for us in our hopes of finishing 3rd or higher.

FWIW i also think Levein will do a good job with Scotland and i really hope he doesn't take any s**t from the OF

Sir Mixulot
23-12-2009, 12:14 PM

No offense but that has to be one of the worse shouts I have heard in a long time!

whereswallace?
23-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Suprised its only a two year deal,if Levein wants to shake up the Scottish game from grass roots level,its a longer job than 2 years.If he has a good qualifying campaign then he will be offski just like Mcleish.I think hes definately the man for the job though.good luck!

IWasThere2016
23-12-2009, 12:21 PM
The deal is not 2 years, it is 4.5 years to 30 June 2014

Yours,

A Pedant

:greengrin

ScottB
23-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Suprised its only a two year deal,if Levein wants to shake up the Scottish game from grass roots level,its a longer job than 2 years.If he has a good qualifying campaign then he will be offski just like Mcleish.I think hes definately the man for the job though.good luck!

It's them finally being smart, I'm sure there will be an option for a further 2 years, but if he fails he can be binned.

Regardless of his contract, if an EPL team came in for him, he'd be off, and rightly so. The best hope for the Scotland job is to be seen as a stepping stone to the big time, it's never going to be an end in itself, at least for anyone we'd actually want to have the job.

Cropley10
23-12-2009, 12:25 PM
this, along with the loss of their loan signings who probably wont be replaced in January is a good boost for us in our hopes of finishing 3rd or higher.

FWIW i also think Levein will do a good job with Scotland and i really hope he doesn't take any s**t from the OF

I'm hopeful that CL will come in and NOT just pick the same old players.

The ridiculous situation where Fox plays twice for Celtc and goes straight into the Scotland team, when Wallace AND Murray are way better in that position. Ditto with McManus and Calamity. There are other better players who were excluded by Burley. The idea that Ferguson should somehow get a game for Scotland is another example. I'd be inclined to make peace with Boyd, and recall McGregor.

I hope we see good Hibs and United players in the team along with Fletcher and McFadden in the starting line up.

Spike Mandela
23-12-2009, 12:45 PM
No offense but that has to be one of the worse shouts I have heard in a long time!

Time will tell Sir M:cool2:

Just don't buy this Levein is irreplacable crap:confused:

dangermouse
23-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Is the real reason that Levin was offered the job because the GFA saw Hibs as a real threat to the OF this season? Hughes publicly stated he didn't want the job and the real possibility of United taking points off the OF to give the mighty cabbage a helping hand, they opted to "weaken" them? Throw in Brines as the referee for Sunday and you have a conspiracy theory and a half.

Or has someone laced my lunchtime coffee with drugs?

Barney McGrew
23-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Or has someone laced my lunchtime coffee with drugs?

Yes, I think they have

dangermouse
23-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, I think they have

Thanks, I was starting to get paranoid.

blackhibee
23-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Yes, it surprised me as well,he never came across as somebody who seemed to have any great affection for either Smith or Peat. Looking at it another way, he'll probably do it for a couple of years, add some positive info to his CV, and bugger off to some lower half Premiership team as manager. He couldn't do as badly as either Burley or Vogts, and he's still relatively young, so he's got plenty of time to play with. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts when the OF start pulling all their players though.

Hibby Bairn
23-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Never understood the slating Calderwood gets. Did a great job with Dunfermline and then again with Aberdeen. Remember DAFC pumping us 4-1 at ER and Aberdeen always gave us a good game.

Would take a Europa (Uefa) League set of games like the Dons had a couple of season ago anytime. Anytime I hear him he always talks sense and sets high standards for his teams. I think he would be a good appointment for DU.

heretoday
23-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Levein could become the father figure of Scottish football if he can get a decent team together.

It's important that he gets a new pair of glasses though. Good solid horn rims and no nonsense. He looks weird in those frameless things.

joe breezy
23-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Levein could become the father figure of Scottish football if he can get a decent team together.

It's important that he gets a new pair of glasses though. Good solid horn rims and no nonsense. He looks weird in those frameless things.

Yes, I think Scotland will be World Cup contenders if Levein gets a new pair of glasses

Dashing Bob S
23-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, I think Scotland will be World Cup contenders if Levein gets a new pair of glasses

State-of-the-art eye laser surgery for Pottah please. Should be small change on the lavish SFA salary.

heretoday
23-12-2009, 03:46 PM
State-of-the-art eye laser surgery for Pottah please. Should be small change on the lavish SFA salary.

Might get a wholesale rate if they throw in some of the refs too!

Dashing Bob S
23-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes, it surprised me as well,he never came across as somebody who seemed to have any great affection for either Smith or Peat. Looking at it another way, he'll probably do it for a couple of years, add some positive info to his CV, and bugger off to some lower half Premiership team as manager. He couldn't do as badly as either Burley or Vogts, and he's still relatively young, so he's got plenty of time to play with. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts when the OF start pulling all their players though.

Or follow Pa Broon's footsteps into the plumb post at Preston where he set the heather on fire.

ancient hibee
23-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Time will tell(as usual)if he's any good at the job.This revamp of Scottish football is a smokescreen.The job is to put a winning or non-losing team on the field half a dozen times a year.At tops he'll have the players together as a group for 25 days a year.He has to use that to devise a system that the available players can adapt to quickly based on their varying abilities.Frankly there is little wrong with our underage football.For quite a few years we've competed fairly well at U21 and down.It's when they step up that the trouble starts.

blackhibee
23-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Do you think Levein will still be known as Harry Potter now that he's the Scotland manager and can afford a new pair of specs?

GC
23-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Do you think Levein will still be known as Harry Potter now that he's the Scotland manager and can afford a new pair of specs?

Aye, he can work his magic on the Scotland squad:greengrin

oldbiker
23-12-2009, 07:34 PM
He will need more than a wand

Phil D. Rolls
23-12-2009, 08:23 PM
He belongs in Gryfindor. (Is this right).

brydekirk
23-12-2009, 08:32 PM
hope the man does a great job. as if he hasnt already. just handed us europa on a plate.:agree:

KiddA
24-12-2009, 03:00 AM
Do you think Craig Levein is a good choice for Scotland manager.

I don't think he is but that's my opinion. I want him to work out but I just feel he is out his depth but at the same time we have to give him a chance either way. I am also trying not to let the fact that he is an ex jambo and won nothing in his career get in the way but that is very hard for me.

I know he is an ex jambo but he has won nothing and that is fact player and coach.

Thoughts please fellow Hibbys

Shaggy
24-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Craig Levein can spot a player with potential,
remember Devries and Ricardo Fuller(remember the damage they done us when they turned up at swine castle),several at DundeeUtd.

My point is he can pluck players from obscurity,
he can see the actual ability of a player, not just the club they play for.
I also think he will find the best of our youth in Scotland and play them, he will qualify for the Euros while kulling off the old school.

The Scotland team just became a Rangers old boys club, with a few ilegitimate Celtic cousins.

The only bad bit is..... we dont get to do our CHEER UP CRAIG LEVEIN.... anymore