PDA

View Full Version : Has Yogi now found the right balance up front?

Baw187
21-12-2009, 09:53 AM
With Stokes now scoring goals and Nish getting plaudits for his hardwork and hold up play, despite both players getting pelters for various aspects of their game in previous weeks, are we now seeing our front line set up the right way?

Stokes has proven that he is best right up front, running off the shoulder of the defense, and seems to have benefited from Nish dropping back a bit more to win balls and hold it up. He's never going to be a creative player but clearly knows how to finish when given the chance.

Zouma and Deek are giving what we expect of them. They are creative and can set Stokes off as well as cutting inside and scoring themselves.

It seems tho that with Nish, Deek, and Zouma dropping off slightly and feeding Stokes through the middle, Stokes is certainly benefiting. That's him been set up by all 3 in the last 3 games.

Mon the 4-2-3-1. :greengrin

rainman
21-12-2009, 09:55 AM
With Stokes now scoring goals and Nish getting plaudits for his hardwork and hold up play, despite both players getting pelters for various aspects of their game in previous weeks, are we now seeing our front line set up the right way?

Stokes has proven that he is best right up front, running off the shoulder of the defense, and seems to have benefited from Nish dropping back a bit more to win balls and hold it up. He's never going to be a creative player but clearly knows how to finish when given the chance.

Zouma and Deek are giving what we expect of them. They are creative and can set Stokes off as well as cutting inside and scoring themselves.

It seems tho that with Nish, Deek, and Zouma dropping off slightly and feeding Stokes through the middle, Stokes is certainly benefiting. That's him been set up by all 3 in the last 3 games.

Mon the 4-2-3-1. :greengrin

I think playing a natural left midfielder who can get more balls in the box would see us get more goals from different areas. If Stokes and riordan are out injured, i can't really see where we're going to get goals from.

Of course, that would mean dropping Riordan which wouldn't be a popular decision.

Woody1985
21-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I was saying previously that we weren't direct enough and needed Nish to play. Since he's started playing we've been scoring more goals due to his work rate up front. It just wasn't clicking with Benji up there.

People who want rid of Nish are nuts IMO.

Ell_Chrisso
21-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Nice post!

Basically agree with everything said..

Im glad that Nish has proved he is a better player than Benji. Nish is atleast 100% dedicated every week, to working hard for himself and the team. Benji just seems to be only interested when it suits him.

Think Nish has a few things he needs to work on, finishing definatly being the first. Staying onside being the second. But i do like what he is contributing at the moment, and like the thinking behind "the right balance"

Hope Nish keeps it up, so that him and Stokes can be the AUTOMATIC choices up top.

truehibernian
21-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Bit unfair on Benji IMO. He played quite well in the start of the unbeaten run, linked up play well, and has a better ability than Nish to draw players to him thus create space for Zemmama, Riordan and Stokes. Nish has played well too this last few games, but I would be more than happy to have Benji, Galbraith or Byrne in the side if Nish was injured or suspended. Signs of a great squad this season with a strong bench at all times. Nish has upped his workrate significantly this last few games which is a good sign. He also looks far fitter than last year, as all the players do.

Baw187
21-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I think playing a natural left midfielder who can get more balls in the box would see us get more goals from different areas. If Stokes and riordan are out injured, i can't really see where we're going to get goals from.

Of course, that would mean dropping Riordan which wouldn't be a popular decision.

I recokon the current set up could work with Byrne understudying for Stokes, Galbraith for Deek (although will loose some of the Deeks special goals), Benji for Nish, and Wotherspoon for Zouma. Obviously having 2 or more of the 4 main players out would probably make it less effective.

Bad Martini
21-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Current set-up seems to be working fine ... we're getting goals from all those who should be scoring, we're not hoofing balls for our central defender at every corner, big Nish DOES do what is needed when he is asked to (most of the time) and with wee Zooma playing as well as he is, we're causing a lot of bother as we are, for the first time in a long time, getting the ball in to the forwards and those who can score and seeing the benefit.....:thumbsup:

And LONG, may it continue :thumbsup::thumbsup:

GLORY GLORY

Keith_M
21-12-2009, 11:25 AM
This seems to be working for the team.

I wonder, though, if Deek could get a bit miffed, as he just loves to be the goalscorer. That's just in the nature of strikers the world over, nothing specific as regards Deek.

If not, and he's willing to play the role that's best for the team as a whole, then I for one would admire that.

Jack
21-12-2009, 11:25 AM
While things might be looking better up front (personally I think there's more and better to come) I also think more should be coming from midfield and defence.

If Stokes and Riordan don’t turn it on, don’t turn up! (16 of 26 goals in all competitions) we are a bit thin and vunerable. You have to go back to the previous Aberdeen game, other than an OG (it wiznae Deeks!), to find another scorer, NIsh, and almost to the start of our current run before any others.

The opposition need to see a genuine threat from other players, which will in turn give Stokes and Riordan more space.

Bad Martini
21-12-2009, 11:29 AM
This seems to be working for the team.

I wonder, though, if Deek could get a bit miffed, as he just loves to be the goalscorer. That's just in the nature of strikers the world over, nothing specific as regards Deek.

If not, and he's willing to play the role that's best for the team as a whole, then I for one would admire that.

I hope he does get pissed off. When he and Garry O had that wee friendly bet on who would score the most, it done our goals for nae harm mate :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I canny see anyone no wanting the cabbage scoring...let's hope they DO all get a wee competiton going - mair goals = much braw for us :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
21-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I was saying previously that we weren't direct enough and needed Nish to play. Since he's started playing we've been scoring more goals due to his work rate up front. It just wasn't clicking with Benji up there.

People who want rid of Nish are nuts IMO.

:agree: still one of our best contributors and a key part of the recent good run.

wee 162
21-12-2009, 09:24 PM
While things might be looking better up front (personally I think there's more and better to come) I also think more should be coming from midfield and defence.

If Stokes and Riordan don’t turn it on, don’t turn up! (16 of 26 goals in all competitions) we are a bit thin and vunerable. You have to go back to the previous Aberdeen game, other than an OG (it wiznae Deeks!), to find another scorer, NIsh, and almost to the start of our current run before any others.

The opposition need to see a genuine threat from other players, which will in turn give Stokes and Riordan more space.

But both them will be identified by every manager we play against anyway. But they can't just focus on those two because you have Zemmama playing on the other side of the park. And Nish will get in the box and on the end of things. Plus both full backs will get up the park. And Miller is trying to break from midfield.

It's a really difficult formation to play against is the conclusion I'm coming to. It's difficult to break down, particularly with the tracking back all three of the deeper attackers are doing. We've got a bit of width which is creating more space in the centre of the park so we're keeping the ball okay. SPL teams just aren't used to playing against a fairly fluid formation in two thirds of the park and then facing an immensely solid back 4 (and there's no been very often in my lifetime I've been able to say that!) as well. The other thing that I would point out is that sides who are trying to play a lot of passes out of defence and control possession simply can't do it against us. Every single one of our best performances this year have been against sides who have been doing that (Motherwell twice, first half of the United game, huns at Ibrox).

Franck is God
21-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think Yogi has got the balance right at all but as the results have come I'm not complaining.

Personally speaking I think we are lacking a man in midfield and have one too many strikers on the pitch.

It is s difficult choice but I think he has to pick only three strikers, you would have Riordan on the pitch because he is such a good goal scorer and delivers well from free kicks & corners, Zouma can give you that something special, Stokes is on a fine run of goals so for me that would be my three.

It's hard luck on Nish who has been playing very well but I would rather see Liam Miller allowed to be the playmaker in the centre with two holders creating the room for him.

My team would be (bearing in mind Bamba is now away for a bit).

Maka

Spoony----Hogg----Murray----Rankin

Cregg----McBride

Miller
Zouma------------------Riordan
Stokes

I know most would go with Stevenson or Hanlon at left back but I actually think Rankin would do a good job there, I always think he is at his best when he has only one job to do.