PDA

View Full Version : Yogi: What to do now?

allmodcons
20-12-2009, 08:56 AM
With Bamba out for 6 weeks or maybe gone for good, I'd move Murray in alongside Hogg and play Lewis at LB.

Other option is to make 1 straight change (might help us maintain shape) by leaving Murray at LB and moving either Hanlon or Thicot straight in at CB with Hogg.

What would you do and what do you think Yogi will do?

Sprouleflyer
20-12-2009, 09:06 AM
With Bamba out for 6 weeks or maybe gone for good, I'd move Murray in alongside Hogg and play Lewis at LB.

Other option is to make 1 straight change (might help us maintain shape) by leaving Murray at LB and moving either Hanlon or Thicot straight in at CB with Hogg.

Hmmm? Thicot when played in that postion has done OK, however he has not played this season, so don't think he is in Yogi's plans.

Would prefer to keep Murray where he is, he has done a decent job at LB and too much changing about could unsettle the team.

I would agree with a single change, Hanlon or Thicot for me at CB.

PaulSmith
20-12-2009, 09:14 AM

I think he'll offer £100k for Barr and also get in the Icelandic guy that was on trial.

brydekirk
20-12-2009, 09:14 AM
hanlon has been MOTM in his last 2 games and yogi expressed hes willing to give him a chance

Hibby Cam
20-12-2009, 09:15 AM
id buy a good ch el pronto............... but it looks like he's looking at that so will trust his judgement, it has gotten us where we are so far........ would imagine murray will be at ch against rankgers but hey,who knows interesting to see if drogba and co are missing next week tho

Sprouleflyer
20-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I think he'll offer £100k for Barr and also get in the Icelandic guy that was on trial.

Still have to deal with Rangers, St Johnstone and probably Hearts before the Barr deal could be struck.

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2009, 09:19 AM
The way Yogi has been talking Young Hanlon up recently, i get the impression he will be coming in. :dunno:

down-the-slope
20-12-2009, 09:20 AM
hanlon has been MOTM in his last 2 games and yogi expressed hes willing to give him a chance

:agree: also he is left sided which would be best with Hogg a right footer. He is taller than Murray as well.

1 change better to keep system etc. also we need Murray LB as gers wingers are on fire last 2 matches

PS. does not say much for Bamba / IC that they have apparently let Drogba / Toure arrive late but they / Bamba have not done so in Hibs Case

Judas Iscariot
20-12-2009, 09:27 AM
The way Yogi has been talking Young Hanlon up recently, i get the impression he will be coming in. :dunno:

:agree:

Hanlon is a superb prospect and a future Hibs captain IMO..

Get him in the side asap now big Sol is offski..

Forza Fred
20-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I'd sign Craig Moore for the rest of the season - replacing one world cup buond centre half with another.

At the same time I'd groom Hanlon as a permanent replacement - he'd be all the better for fine tuning his trade under Moore.

Now is not the time to throw him in at the deep end - he's got years ahead of him.

goosano
20-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't think Yogi will do anything other then put an experienced player ie IM at centre half for the big game against the Huns. Hope Hanlon gets his chance after that though

brydekirk
20-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd sign Craig Moore for the rest of the season - replacing one world cup buond centre half with another.

At the same time I'd groom Hanlon as a permanent replacement - he'd be all the better for fine tuning his trade under Moore.

Now is not the time to throw him in at the deep end - he's got years ahead of him.

:agree: but we dont have much choice beetween now and the 1st jan,:agree:

matty_f
20-12-2009, 09:42 AM
:agree: but we dont have much choice beetween now and the 1st jan,:agree:

I wouldn't bother with Moore, Thicot has shown himself more than capable when he's come in to play CH, and this is perhaps a good opportunity to give Hanlon a run to see how he does.

Would definitely keep Murray at left back though, he's been fantastic there.

Dashing Bob S
20-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Hanlon for me.

matty_f
20-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Hanlon for me.

Fair swap? :dunno: What's his fashion sense like?

Barney McGrew
20-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Hanlon is a superb prospect and a future Hibs captain IMO..

Get him in the side asap now big Sol is offski..

We're all sitting discussing who to buy when we have the best young left sided centre half in Scotland already at the club.

He's only going to develop more by playing games regularly for the first team.

matty_f
20-12-2009, 09:46 AM

We're all sitting discussing who to buy when we have the best young left sided centre half in Scotland already at the club.

:top marks

col02
20-12-2009, 09:51 AM
This John Hughes aint quite as daft as some think eh? I mean he has had Hanlon playing against some decent opposition in bounce games in a position that will require filling for 6 weeks at the very least. The laddie is actually match sharp despite the ridiculous decision to scrap the reserve league in Scotland.

brydekirk
20-12-2009, 09:58 AM
:agree: :thumbsup:

Baw187
20-12-2009, 10:21 AM
It's a toughie.

Go with IM which is a tried and tested option that has proven to be solid or stick the young prodigy in, which will always be a gamble.

Do we want to be taking unforced gambles in our current prediciment? Especially when the first game is against Rangers?

PH may or may not handle that but I'd like to see IM in for that game and maybe bring in Paul for the Saints game.

Thegreenside
20-12-2009, 11:22 AM
i think that hanlon and thicot could be bullied by boyd and maybe nade for that reason i would put murray CB

brydekirk
20-12-2009, 11:27 AM
i think yogi has someone coming in on the 1st, hope we can keep it together until then.:thumbsup:

RoYO!
20-12-2009, 11:33 AM
id buy a good ch el pronto............... but it looks like he's looking at that so will trust his judgement, it has gotten us where we are so far........ would imagine murray will be at ch against rankgers but hey,who knows interesting to see if drogba and co are missing next week tho

never heard of him :confused:

:wink:

hibeeleicester
20-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Shame thicot is not in yogis plans :agree:

I would have him in for the huns game. Remember that game against the yams:agree:

Thicot is also still quite young, he needs a chance:agree:

ChilliEater
20-12-2009, 12:13 PM
never heard of him :confused:

:wink:

Spanish lad, very quick :wink:

jdships
20-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Thankyou !!!!!!!!!!!!:top marks

CmoantheHibs
20-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Hanlon for me.As little disruption to the team as possible and let the laddie get on and do his job.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2009, 02:23 PM
The leasst amount of changes as possible, please.

Leave Murray where he is and bring in Hanlon or Thicot.

cad
20-12-2009, 02:51 PM
The leasst amount of changes as possible, please.

Leave Murray where he is and bring in Hanlon or Thicot.

Hanlon or Thicot give it to the young guy ,I keep thinking that Thicots days are numbered at ER ,not that I want him to go but I just think hes not in Yogis plans

yekimevol
20-12-2009, 04:53 PM
change to 442 with
maka
hanlon, murray, hogg, wortherspoon
riordan, rankin / mcbride, miller, zemmama
stokes and nish / benji

442 provides more cover and width:jamboak:

Sir David Gray
20-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Hanlon at CH for me and leave Murray at LB.

I don't think he'll have any trouble playing next week, it's not as if he's never played first team football before.

He's a regular for the Scotland u21's and has played 24 games for the Hibs first team.

--------
20-12-2009, 05:09 PM

If Drogba etc aren't away to the Ivory Coast on schedule, then a certain international manager's liable to find out what a VERY VERY ANGRY Yogi looks and sounds like....

Not a pretty sight. :devil:

Sir David Gray
20-12-2009, 05:17 PM
If Drogba etc aren't away to the Ivory Coast on schedule, then a certain international manager's liable to find out what a VERY VERY ANGRY Yogi looks and sounds like....

Not a pretty sight. :devil:

Chelsea, Portsmouth and Man City all play on Boxing Day so Drogba, Kalou, Toure and Dindane should be able to play for their clubs before flying out to Angola the next day.

However, Arsenal also play on the 27th so it will be interesting to see if Eboue is allowed to stay or not.

noz
20-12-2009, 07:58 PM
:agree: also he is left sided which would be best with Hogg a right footer. He is taller than Murray as well.

1 change better to keep system etc. also we need Murray LB as gers wingers are on fire last 2 matches

PS. does not say much for Bamba / IC that they have apparently let Drogba / Toure arrive late but they / Bamba have not done so in Hibs Case

according to wikpedia, hanlon is 5 11 & Murray is 6 ft.

GreenCastle
20-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I do remember seeing Hanlon play at left back against Chris Burke at ER and playing very well keeping Burke quiet.

Think we won that game - Killen scored IIRC.

bingo70
20-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I'd put Murray to centre back for the game against Rangers but move Hanlon there for the St Johnstone game.

The game against the huns is too important to gamble with Hanlon at centre half IMO.

Judas Iscariot
20-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd put Murray to centre back for the game against Rangers but move Hanlon there for the St Johnstone game.

The game against the huns is too important to gamble with Hanlon at centre half IMO.

IMO it's more of a gamble moving Murray in and playing Stevenson at LB..

The fewer changes to the back 4 the better :agree:

bingo70
20-12-2009, 08:41 PM
IMO it's more of a gamble moving Murray in and playing Stevenson at LB..

The fewer changes to the back 4 the better :agree:

I wouldn't bring Stevenson in, i'd put hanlon at left back, then swap him and Murray for the St Johnstone game.

We need to start giving Hanlon some game time in his favoured position, however considering the form Rangers are in i think it'd make more sense to go for the more experienced option at CH.

hstn747
20-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Craig Moore would be the perfect guy to shore up our defence for the top2 challenge. He is very experienced & a good defender. The winning mentality he would have experienceds in his Hun days would be beneficial. IMO we should make every effort to bring him in for the rest of the season.

Hanlon & Barr will be good for the future, but for the immediate campaign time we could do with the experience.

Andy74
20-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Despite him being talked up I've not seen anything from hamlin to suggest he could come in now in a vital position for a battle for the top 3 places. We need a player in I think and let hanlon develop just a wee bit further down the line. The shape of our season and maybe medium term future comes down to the next few weeks.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Despite him being talked up I've not seen anything from hamlin to suggest he could come in now in a vital position for a battle for the top 3 places. We need a player in I think and let hanlon develop just a wee bit further down the line. The shape of our season and maybe medium term future comes down to the next few weeks.

:confused:

greenlex
21-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Hell of a piper!!! Hell of a piper. :agree:

Andy74
21-12-2009, 10:23 AM

I think its iphone for Hanlon! Didn't notice that!

JimBHibees
21-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Is Bamba definitely missing the Gers game. Nightmare if true given Bougherra has been given the ok to play.

Ell_Chrisso
21-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Am i the only one that has watched Hanlon, and thought he has struggled in the air?
I remember very early in the season, when we played the likes of St Mirren & Perth Saints... being at left back, he looked out of his depth trying to outleap the likes of Martin Hardie, Mikey Higdon etc.
I just worry that alot of Hibees have heard of him playing well at CH, against lads his own age, but not experienced playing against a quality striker.
Just a little worry i have, of putting him straight in at CH. Definatly not the presence we need to replace Bamba with.
If this is the way Yogi goes about it, i hope im totally wrong.

Ell_Chrisso
21-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Chelsea, Portsmouth and Man City all play on Boxing Day so Drogba, Kalou, Toure and Dindane should be able to play for their clubs before flying out to Angola the next day.

However, Arsenal also play on the 27th so it will be interesting to see if Eboue is allowed to stay or not.

Also play on the 28th!
So who knows if they will get off with that aswell?

But lets face it, Drogba & co can do what they like. They can show up late knowing there guaranteed to play.
Bamba has worked his a*se off to get in that team, and will do whatever necessary to keep his place.

sam armstrong
21-12-2009, 11:43 AM
according to wikpedia, hanlon is 5 11 & Murray is 6 ft.

Murray is not 6' and Hanlon is not 5' 11"

Andy74
21-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Am i the only one that has watched Hanlon, and thought he has struggled in the air?
I remember very early in the season, when we played the likes of St Mirren & Perth Saints... being at left back, he looked out of his depth trying to outleap the likes of Martin Hardie, Mikey Higdon etc.
I just worry that alot of Hibees have heard of him playing well at CH, against lads his own age, but not experienced playing against a quality striker.
Just a little worry i have, of putting him straight in at CH. Definatly not the presence we need to replace Bamba with.

My thoughts exactly.

sahib
21-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Hanlon did not impress me at left back, so I would not put him in there. If he is our best option then put him in as CH. I think putting Murray there could weaken two positions.

Kaiser1962
21-12-2009, 02:59 PM

I also believe that Hogg has grown into the Captains roll and young Hanlon at left CH between Hogg and Murray would be the way to go. Hogg will talk and guide him through the game, ably assisted by Murray who can cover if Hanlon gets his bearings awry.

Kaiser1962
21-12-2009, 03:01 PM
i think that hanlon and thicot could be bullied by boyd and maybe nade for that reason i would put murray CB

Or McCormack? Is he still in the picture? One thing about McCormack is that he wont be bullied.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Is Bamba definitely missing the Gers game. Nightmare if true given Bougherra has been given the ok to play.

Yes, someone gave a link to an article from a Saturday paper and Hughes had said that the request by Hibs to allow Bamba to leave after the Rangers game had been rejected by the Ivory Coast and they want him in Angola on the 27th.

Hibs7
21-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, someone gave a link to an article from a Saturday paper and Hughes had said that the request by Hibs to allow Bamba to leave after the Rangers game had been rejected by the Ivory Coast and they want him in Angola on the 27th.

Barstewards don't they know how important this game is. :grr::grr:

bringbackjoeT!!
21-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I would consider sticking hanlon in at left back as he is a pacier than murray- beasley is a fast tricky winger on the right. That would leave murray and hogg to mark the less mobile miller and boyd in the middle. As for the rest of the games possibly getting russell anderson up from Sunderland on loan?

oconnors_strip
21-12-2009, 05:01 PM

paul got MOTM against newcastle and sunderland reserves in the past two weeks. he was up against the likes Ameobi, Ranger at newcastle. the level of reserve players at these clubs is very high and paul did very well to keep them quiet.

hibs have been playing regular bounce games against other spl clubs and paul has been getting a game against older players. i have no worries in playing paul at centre half. look what happened with jonathan baillie against celtic a few years ago, he came in and was excellent. these young lads watch hours of football every week and they know what they have to do when selected.

get behind whoever yogi selects!!!!

GreenCastle
21-12-2009, 05:15 PM
paul got MOTM against newcastle and sunderland reserves in the past two weeks. he was up against the likes Ameobi, Ranger at newcastle. the level of reserve players at these clubs is very high and paul did very well to keep them quiet.

hibs have been playing regular bounce games against other spl clubs and paul has been getting a game against older players. i have no worries in playing paul at centre half. look what happened with jonathan baillie against celtic a few years ago, he came in and was excellent. these young lads watch hours of football every week and they know what they have to do when selected.

I mentioned this on another post.

Ameobi ok isn't the greatest player in England but is a strong player who holds the ball up well. Ranger is a quick up and coming player who should do well at Newcastle.

I think if Yogi think's he is good enough he will play him.

NOLA
21-12-2009, 06:48 PM
when sol missed the hertz game, hughes moved murray in one and played lewis at LB

matty_f
21-12-2009, 06:55 PM
when sol missed the hertz game, hughes moved murray in one and played lewis at LB

Murray's the best left back at the club, IMHO - I'd rather he stayed there and we put Hanlon or Thicot in at CH.

Ell_Chrisso
21-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Never said i wouldn't.
Id love Hanlon to come in, and prove more than he has at left back, in the centre. I just am not convinvced he will be completely up to the task. Which is why i said, i hope im wrong.

On another note.. like what has been mentioned earlier,
The game that Bamba missed against Hearts, Yogi's first alternative was to move Murray in, and play Stevenson at Left back. I think that will also be the case this weekend, and is also the best solution.

HibbyAndy
21-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Murray's the best left back at the club, IMHO - I'd rather he stayed there and we put Hanlon or Thicot in at CH.

Correct.

brydekirk
21-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I also believe that Hogg has grown into the Captains roll and young Hanlon at left CH between Hogg and Murray would be the way to go. Hogg will talk and guide him through the game, ably assisted by Murray who can cover if Hanlon gets his bearings awry.

:agree: makes sense not to change too much and hogg / murray can help him.

Barney McGrew
21-12-2009, 07:29 PM
The game that Bamba missed against Hearts, Yogi's first alternative was to move Murray in, and play Stevenson at Left back

He hadn't been playing Hanlon in the middle in umpteen bounce games before that one though :wink:

brydekirk
21-12-2009, 07:31 PM
surely the ivory coast should be asking yogi about sambas availability, not the other way about.:grr:

HibbyAndy
21-12-2009, 07:34 PM
surely the ivory coast should be asking yogi about sambas availability, not the other way about.:grr:

This the fellae fae Blackburn?

brydekirk
21-12-2009, 07:36 PM
This the fellae fae Blackburn?

sorry. bad day.:thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
21-12-2009, 07:37 PM
sorry. bad day.:thumbsup:

Akent what you ment buddy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Allant1981
21-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Who are the quality strikers he will be playing against? Put Hogg on Boyd for the hun game, the other teams arent exactly blessed with top notch forwards

ancient hibee
21-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I would consider sticking hanlon in at left back as he is a pacier than murray- beasley is a fast tricky winger on the right. That would leave murray and hogg to mark the less mobile miller and boyd in the middle. As for the rest of the games possibly getting russell anderson up from Sunderland on loan?
It never fails to amaze me that there is a desire to bring a guy here who(i think)has not kicked a ball for about 15 months.

Ell_Chrisso
21-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Who are the quality strikers he will be playing against? Put Hogg on Boyd for the hun game, the other teams arent exactly blessed with top notch forwards

A certain Kenny Miller will be on the pitch also :confused::rolleyes:

And Hibs dont play a system where they mark specific players, so Hanlon will be faced by both.

I doubt he will play anyway. Thats just my opinion

oconnors_strip
21-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Never said i wouldn't.
Id love Hanlon to come in, and prove more than he has at left back, in the centre. I just am not convinvced he will be completely up to the task. Which is why i said, i hope im wrong.

wasnt directed at you, just a general comment!!

get intae the huns :notworthy:

Andy74
21-12-2009, 10:01 PM
It never fails to amaze me that there is a desire to bring a guy here who(i think)has not kicked a ball for about 15 months.

Like Andy Webster you mean? I saw Anderson play pre season in Amsterdam against Atletico Madrid, so he has kicked a ball. Kicking it and heading it pretty damn well too he was. Class player who would be one of our top players if he were to sign.