View Full Version : That's a healthy wee gap for a european place

Nailrod
19-12-2009, 05:09 PM
... opening up between us and 5th place - long may it continue! :agree:

VegasHibby
19-12-2009, 05:17 PM
... opening up between us and 5th place - long may it continue! :agree:

you beat me to the thread:greengrin
When was the last time we were 12 points ahead of 5th spot ? long long time i bet.....

Hank Schrader
19-12-2009, 05:20 PM
When was the last time we were 12 points ahead of 5th spot ? long long time i bet.....

Probably season 2000/01.

Dashing Bob S
19-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Looking like Huns v Smelly's for the flag, us v Arabs for 3rd and rest battling for top six/relegation places.

Top four look far stronger than the rest, and the OF, as expected a bit stronger than us/united.

Bishop Hibee
19-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Looking like Huns v Smelly's for the flag, us v Arabs for 3rd and rest battling for top six/relegation places.

Top four look far stronger than the rest, and the OF, as expected a bit stronger than us/united.

Agree although I hope I'm saying something different after a win a week tomorrow.

HenryMonk
19-12-2009, 05:28 PM

and i would expect utd wont be same if levin leaves for scotland job.

3rd place and scots cup will do me this season.

Jim44
19-12-2009, 05:31 PM

4th place would be a real frustration, depending on how the Scottish Cup pans out. Probably no place in Europe for 4th place. We must get 3rd place.

Dashing Bob S
19-12-2009, 05:34 PM
4th place would be a real frustration, depending on how the Scottish Cup pans out. Probably no place in Europe for 4th place. We must get 3rd place.

I'm with you, Jim. I don't think anybody has a clue what happens with 4th place now as the SFA themselves don't seem to know or care. At best it looks like you'll be sent to some difficult tie in preseason against a match-fit side. 3rd represents a better deal than even 2nd, in terms of European progress now.

scoopyboy
19-12-2009, 05:54 PM

4th place is guaranteed Europe.

Keith_M
19-12-2009, 05:59 PM
4th place is guaranteed Europe.

Not meaning to be a Doubting Thomas but, is that absolutely definite?

:dunno:

RoYO!
19-12-2009, 06:06 PM
well the bbc table has a dotted line under 4th place so i would hope so but who knows.

is 3rd place one tie away from the group stages and 4th place is 2 ties?

scoopyboy
19-12-2009, 06:07 PM

100%.

3rd, 4th and Scottish Cup place get into Europa Cup albeit at different stages.

This season it was Hearts (3rd), Aberdeen (4th) and Falkirk (Scottish ru).

RoYO!
19-12-2009, 06:08 PM
thats a really good amount of euro spaces considering how much of a dent the scottish standings must have taken

RoYO!
19-12-2009, 06:12 PM
tbh the dons have clearly not got the firepower to get them up there. not one scorer in the top scorer charts and not likely either.

motherwell are wobbling and i reckon theyre hitting above their weight already.

st johnstone are doing well but wont challenge.....

so its tied up already :devil:

Keith_M
19-12-2009, 08:58 PM
100%.

3rd, 4th and Scottish Cup place get into Europa Cup albeit at different stages.

This season it was Hearts (3rd), Aberdeen (4th) and Falkirk (Scottish ru).

Thanks Scoopy, that's good news

:thumbsup:

scoopyboy
19-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks Scoopy, that's good news

:thumbsup:

no probs mate, I would have expanded further earlier but I had to get into work.

If Falkirk had won the Cup they would have went into the round that Hearts went into, ie one tie away from the sections. Hearts and Aberdeen would have started one round earlier.

It is possible / probable that fifth place in the league could get Europa Cup.

If any two of the top four teams in the league were to play in the Scottish Cup final then fifth would get into Eurpoe, ie if every team in the league was to finish in its current position and us, Rangers, Celtic and Utd were to get to the semis of the cup then fifth place would automatically get a spot.

iwasthere1972
19-12-2009, 09:58 PM

1951/52 :thumbsup:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/division-one-old/1951-1952/table

MacBean
19-12-2009, 10:04 PM
the euro coefficients for the shambles of this year wont drop until the season after next, and it depends on how the belgian teams do

nyhibs
19-12-2009, 10:24 PM
What a lovely sight,sadly I was born in 1953 about 10 years too late to enjoy our halcyon days.Although,much to my oldest sons frustrations I was around for the 70's

thebakerboy
19-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Well that was about my first year at ER but can you dream of 92 goals in 30 games :greengrin:thumbsup:

monktonharp
19-12-2009, 10:38 PM
What a lovely sight,sadly I was born in 1953 about 10 years too late to enjoy our halcyon days.Although,much to my oldest sons frustrations I was around for the 70's:agree:me too. we saw what should have been the last Hibs team to win the league:boo hoo:

Speedy
19-12-2009, 10:42 PM
thats a really good amount of euro spaces considering how much of a dent the scottish standings must have taken

It's not bad but you have to remember that our coefficient will take a dent the season after because of this years performance compared with 5 years ago and the other thing is that the Intertoto is now scrapped so one of the Europa league places is effectively instead of that

HFC 0-7
19-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Probably season 2000/01.

2000/01 season after 16 games we were sitting 2nd on 36 points W11, D3, L2. Celtic were top on 44 and rangers were 4th on 29 with a match in hand. Killie were 3rd.

Just shows you how much of a job Hibs still have to do to keep up with the old firm this season if hibs were 7 points ahead of rangers and 8 points behind Celtic at this stage in 2000 but still ended up 16 points behind rangers and 31 behind Celtic.

I dont think Hibs will get second but it would be nice to keep up with them for a while.

trev the hat
19-12-2009, 11:37 PM
I heard there was only to be one champions league place this season due to previous pish campaigns by the weeg, coupled with the belgians doing better.
Third has to be our prime target, but would be good to secure that early then shape who wins title after that.
Hun game is prob biggest game since 2000/2001 for us in terms of where we are. we simply must beef them in leith to be in the mix.u:thumbsup:

jgl07
19-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Remember that the Inter-Toto space has been added to the two UEFA Cup places for three in the Europa Cup.

jgl07
19-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I heard there was only to be one champions league place this season due to previous pish campaigns by the weeg, coupled with the belgians doing better.

You heard rubbish then.

The possible changes will take place at some future date and not for the moment.

Apart from anything else Rangers got to a UEFA cup final not that long ago. Aberdeen made it through to the latter stages of the UEFA Cup and Celtic even made it through the CL group stages.

The crap performances this season will not impact until the 2011-12 campaign.

scoopyboy
20-12-2009, 12:01 AM
You heard rubbish then.

The possible changes will take place at some future date and not for the moment.

Apart from anything else Rangers got to a UEFA cup final not that long ago. Aberdeen made it through to the latter stages of the UEFA Cup and Celtic even made it through the CL group stages.

The crap performances this season will not impact until the 2011-12 campaign.

correctamundo