PDA

View Full Version : Case for the defence

southfieldshibby
19-12-2009, 04:04 PM
only 10 goals conceaded this season so far. that is the lowest along with Rangers in the UK. Superb stuff:thumbsup:

Kaiser1962
19-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I have to say guys I am pleasantly stunned by our defence this season. Almost everyone had them down as our weak link but they have been superb. Joint best goals against (with Rangers) in the division and only three goals conceded at home in the season so far, and another clean sheet today. Our strikers can still improve so lets cheer them on Boxing day as we go into three big games and let us hope they click into gear against the Hun and the Yam.

Spike Mandela
19-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I've lost count the amount of times I've had conversations in the work with folk about Hibs and they've said something along the lines of "Hibs great strikeforce, dodgy defence"

Totally ill informed.

joe_hfc
20-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Our defence has definetly been operating particularly well this season. They have been playing far better together that anybody could have wished for. On paper, they do look like our weakest link, however it goes to show what a good understanding can do at times. I would however like to see a couple more experienced quality defenders come in, and a one or two of the younger ones going out on loan. I don't know how confident I'd be in Mccormack/Hanlon/Stevenson/Mccann filling the gaps with Bamba away in Januray and if suspensions/injurys begin to effect our back 4. There would be a lot of pressure on them IMO! If Yogi's confident playing them however, that's good enough for me :notworthy:

Baw187
20-12-2009, 01:28 AM
I think it's more than just the back 4 to thank for our defensive record.:agree:

basehibby
20-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Top marks to all the back four but to Yogi and Rice in particular for identifying and organising and consistently selecting the best combo at our disposal.

For different reasons, Murray, Bamba, Hogg and Wotherspoon all deserve great credit for the performances they've put in this season so far, and with the likes of Hanlon and McCormack on the fringes it's tempting to think we're not so bad off in defence after all - still think we need to strengthen that dept in January though - particularly with Bamba set for the African Nations in the NY.

CmoantheHibs
20-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Having the whole team working their socks off and playing as a solid organised unit certainly makes things easier for the back 5 so credit to the whole team for the defensive record.When we are not conceding we have forwards who,even when not playing well,can nick a goal to sway the game our way.Its has the makings of a very good and hopefully successful team.:thumbsup:

EasterRoad4Ever
20-12-2009, 07:13 AM
I think it's more than just the back 4 to thank for our defensive record.:agree:

:agree: new attitude throughout the team.

Kaiser1962
20-12-2009, 07:17 AM

I would include the goalie and Kevin McBride as well. Although when he's been out we have still kept it up which underlines the side all know what they are supposed to be doing and their roles. When Bamba is out I think Murray/Thicot will come in. If its Murray at CH then either Hanlon or Stevenson will go to LB.

RIP
12-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Can any of you defenders out there tell us what life is like for a half back when your full backs spend so much time in the other team's half?

Mixu played with four at the back but Yogi appears to favour two at the back with attacking full backs

Seems to me that with 2 young boys at FB just now there's a lot more for Hogg and Murray to handle?

GlesgaeHibby
12-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Can any of you defenders out there tell us what life is like for a half back when your full backs spend so much time in the other team's half?

Mixu played with four at the back but Yogi appears to favour two at the back with attacking full backs

Seems to me that with 2 young boys at FB just now there's a lot more for Hogg and Murray to handle?

They have been pushing on, but Hughes has deployed somebody to protect the CH's. In most games it has been McBride, and will be McBride again once he is back in the team.

Mikeystewart
12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
4 in 1 game too

J-C
12-01-2010, 08:47 AM
This is what I can't understand, Falkirk had a few decent defenders, 2 of which we on here seem desperate to sign but for the past couple of years they've leaked goals left, right and centre. Since his move, Hughes has made our defense one of the strongest for a while, not because the defense is better but mainly because the midfield is a stronger unit than previous.