PDA

View Full Version : Hibs and sectarian songs

fiolex1
19-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.I was taken aback as in my opinion we haven't on mass sung any sectarians songs for a good number of years, yes I have heard the odd person sing them at the game but not many.When I told him this he just shrugged his shoulders.

Now this is a clever guy, so I would say that this is the thoughts of the most educated Rangers supporters, by the way he was astonished that I was a Protestant and supporting Hibs

This guy is no Weegie, he is a proud Fifer!

I just can't believe how deep the religous problem is.

Thoughts

New Corrie
19-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.I was taken aback as in my opinion we haven't on mass sung any sectarians songs for a good number of years, yes I have heard the odd person sing them at the game but not many.When I told him this he just shrugged his shoulders.

Now this is a clever guy, so I would say that this is the thoughts of the most educated Rangers supporters, by the way he was astonished that I was a Protestant and supporting Hibs

Thoughts

That explains everything mate, add to that, supporting rangers as opposed to his local team, i'm afraid that this particular "senior manager" is a Fud.

Frazerbob
19-12-2009, 11:15 AM
I think that says more about the "educated" Rangers supporter than us. They are rotten to the core, even the decent ones (if they even exist!).

PISTOL1875
19-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Thoughts

Its called being narrowminded.. They fans are **** and can't see past the end of there nose.. They are called '' Scotland's Shame '' for a reason..

sambajustice
19-12-2009, 11:20 AM
To Rangers fans, Hibs are Fenian bastirts! To non-Glasgow based Celtc fans, Hibs are dirty orange bastirts!

We cant win!

Barney McGrew
19-12-2009, 11:22 AM

It's only a problem with the OF.

Rangers and Celtic fans always use two arguments as a smokescreen - firstly, the songs they sing aren't sectarian they're just 'political', and secondly other clubs fans sing similar songs.

On both counts they're talking pish.

hstn747
19-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Having lived in Glasgow all my life I know all about the attitudes. Some of the fuds at high school just couldn't get over the fact that I wasn't Catholic.

I worked in Ayrshire last summer & the real Ayrshire boys assumed I was a Tim sympathiser. They never went into the religion side of things though but it was implied.

When I meet Huns they tend to assume that I'm a Tim sympathiser due to my huge dislike of the Huns. This is really because I grew up surrounded by Huns & during their 9-in-a-row. If I'd grown up in a Celtc area then I'd prolly hate them more.

shagpile
19-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Thoughts

His attitude allied to his comments suggest the opposite.

He is yer below average hun cocksocket.

snooky
19-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Thoughts

The fundimental problem with the OF fan base is that his statement (in bold text) is regarded as an issue.
So sad.

surreyhibbie
19-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I've met several Weegies down here over the years who have been astonished, and unbelieving, that I could be a Hibbie and not Catholic.

The old Irish guy who uses my club is a Celtic man and always assumes I sympathise with them, no matter how many times I tell him that I hate both sides of the OF equally. He just laughs and thinks I am kidding.

Even the Bosnian guy at work (married to a Paisley girl) assumed I was Catholic, and was surprised to learn I wasn't.

I really don't get the religious thing at all, thankfully. bypasses me totally.

Monktonhall 7
19-12-2009, 11:43 AM
The great thing about our club is that although we have a very proud history and obvious Irish roots, we have a mixed support, and unlike what happens in the West of Scotland, religion does not determine what club you follow. From all the guys I go to the matches with, you would not know or want to know what religion they are. Who cares, we are in this for the love of HFC.

Dashing Bob S
19-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Thoughts

:faf::faf::faf:

basehibby
19-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Thoughts

Substitute "ignorant fud" in place of "clever guy" and you'll be bang on the money - the Hibs support have not sung any sectarian songs for decades.

The hypocracy of this guy is absolutely stunning by the way - diss-ing Hibs and Hibbys on the grounds of complete fabrications about sectarian singing while freely associating himself with possibly the most biggoted colective on the entire planet in the Rangers support - trully astounding really.

I don't think this guy is representative of any enlightened section of the Rangers support at all - if that were the case then he would be acknowledging the immense embarassment which the biggoted sectarian traditions of the Huns represent to the whole of Scotland. He would also acknowledge that the Hibs support are an excellent example of how that sort of nonsense can be erradicated from the inside by the self policing of a decent minded support.

green marine
19-12-2009, 01:48 PM
fiolex1, it's about time you left lothian and borders police mate.

JohnnyHibby
19-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Thoughts

What a load of Rubbish....When you want to deflect from yourself or in this case Rangers mention about another teams problems or in this case sectarian songs sung by Hibs.....What is his proof?....and if so what context.....3 guys singing in a street? If there is any.....why did you not ask him about Rangers fans and their sectarian songs....or is because its common and part of life at ibrox.....

your conversation reminded me of a post I put on here a while back.

I had a conversation with a Rangers fan last summer which made me realise that some of them are totally bigoted and no matter whats done they will never change.

The Rangers fan lives in Fife and does not go to any games.

The conversation went like this:
Rangers fan: Why do you not like us?
me: well many reasons, like that song you sing being up to your knees in fenian blood for one.
Rangers fan: Whats wrong with that?
Me: What! ok what about the national anthem God save the Queen, you sing that right?......what about the third verse about crushing thy rebellious Scots which is about killing Scots?
Rangers fan: Nothing wrong with that, you have to remember there were no real Scots, Scotland was made up of the Highlands and Lowlands then.
Me: Thanks for that and at that I walked away......

hibsbollah
19-12-2009, 01:59 PM
what is it about huns and Fife?:confused:

Baader
19-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.

He must'nt have any time at all for Rangers if that's the case! :greengrin

Kevvy1875
19-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Substitute "ignorant fud" in place of "clever guy" and you'll be bang on the money - the Hibs support have not sung any sectarian songs for decades.

The hypocracy of this guy is absolutely stunning by the way - diss-ing Hibs and Hibbys on the grounds of complete fabrications about sectarian singing while freely associating himself with possibly the most biggoted colective on the entire planet in the Rangers support - trully astounding really.

I don't think this guy is representative of any enlightened section of the Rangers support at all - if that were the case then he would be acknowledging the immense embarassment which the biggoted sectarian traditions of the Huns represent to the whole of Scotland. He would also acknowledge that the Hibs support are an excellent example of how that sort of nonsense can be erradicated from the inside by the self policing of a decent minded support.

Spot on my friend. It really hacks me off when I get the weedgie **** 'assuming' that I MUST be some kind of pope loving bead rattler? Based on what excactly? I support Hibs? What a load of horse sh*t. Even worse because I have an Irish name(which I am very proud of) it begins McC instead of the traditional scottish Mac(or other variations). That is another 'reason' why I am a 'tattie muncher', 'pope lover', 'bead rattler', 'celtic sympathiser'...etc etc etc.

For information....that kind of nonsense makes me sick and it has no place in football. But I will never understand how people draw these conclusions EVEN when we take the time to explain to them that Hibs are in no way involved with any Religous or Political organisation as a rule. I am not really religous but would consider myself a Christian(morally anyway). I am sure there is a broad mixture of faiths visiting ER these days and I am proud it is that way. Its the Bigot bros. that need to take a look at themselves and what they are all about. They are so stupid that they use religion as a standard bearer for their sectarianism when their religions tell them these things are wrong:confused:......Duhhhhh.

Its just a pity our authority's are a bunch of cowards with no balls whatsoever. We should'nt even be having this debate because it should have been stamped out long ago....but like I say...the politician's are ****less cowards or are involved themselve's(ie John Reid).

Rant over.:blah:

Septimus
19-12-2009, 02:07 PM
The obvious question to this "senior manager" is.....'Why do you support Rangers?' It is clearly not because they are his local team so maybe we are safe to assume that he is a bigot and probably a protestant one at that. The words Glory Hunter come to mind.

Brought up a protestant myself I support Hibs because they were my local team in my formative years. Having said that I don't 'hate' any football team or their supporters but I do feel mildly sorry for religious bigots.

Booked4Being-Ugly
19-12-2009, 02:20 PM
People who suggest Hibs fans are sectarian are at best totally ignorant, or at worst, thick as ****!

NAE NOOKIE
19-12-2009, 02:23 PM
FWIW None of my Hibs supporting friends are Catholic af far as I know.

Your ' intelligent ' manager needs to get out of the 20th century, why he should be "astonished" that you are not Catholic just coz you support Hibs astonishes me.

In all the time I have been supporting the mighty Hibees nobody has ever asked me my religion. The reason being that they dont give a stuff, same as I dont give a stuff what religion they are and I would bet that goes for 99.9% of Hibbies.

Christian
Muslim
Hindu

Who cares as long as you are a Hibby

:thumbsup:

heretoday
19-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hibs fans used to sing a lot of sectarian songs in the 1970s but one always got the impression it was not entirely genuine and mostly to noise up the opposition fans.

The Baldmans Comb
19-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Thoughts

You think this is a 'very clever guy' and you can't believe how deep the religous problem is and you regard the creature as an educated person and a proud fifer.:confused:

He might be clever but he is not educated at all. Obviously he is a glory seeking and narrow minded bigot who disgraces Fife and who attaches himself to Scotlands Shame for a number of unsavoury reasons one of which is religious bigotry.

He is also downright ignorant if he thinks Hibs fan still sing sectarian songs which to your credit at least you pointed out.

At least he has revealed his true colours and you can avoid him in the future.

Rory89
19-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Was speaking to a relatively senior manager at my work who is a Rangers supporter and he said that he hasn't much time for Hibs due to us still singing sectarian songs.

I've heard Rick Waller doesn't have much time for Santa because he's fat.

lEXO
19-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Thoughts
The fact that he shrugged when you told him, and he was surprised that you were a protestant supporting Hibs makes me suspect that he is not a very clever guy.More like an ignorant fool who is judging our support on bygone years.The fact is we are a non sectarian club and tools like him dont understand that.Let him live in his sectarian bubble and enjoy the fact that you are not part of it.

greenginger
19-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Thoughts[/QUOTE]

How can he be a proud Fifer and support a Glaswegian Football Club ?
HE is just another pathetic glory hunter or a died in the wool bigot or both.

Ignore the imbecile !!!

JohnnyHibby
19-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Thoughts

Oh a proud fifer that supports a team that sings about killing people......brilliant.

ps
Proud fife rangers fan......support YOUR local team its because of glory hunters that local fife teams are struggling.....rant over.

Fat Stu
19-12-2009, 05:32 PM
In truth forever and ever, gets banded about once every couple of weeks and is sung by the majority in the east, although most only join in the second part of the song.

Phil D. Rolls
19-12-2009, 06:50 PM

Thoughts

One sentence in, and you give the game away.

clerriehibs
19-12-2009, 06:58 PM

Thoughts

Being a senior manager bluenose, he's no doubt a senior manager at what would once have been called one of edinburgh's blue chip organisations. Seems to be the main qualification at a certain one I could name.

Alan Thomson
19-12-2009, 07:11 PM
If there was a Bigot League in Scottish football then without doubt the mucky Glasca Rankers would win it every year,closely followed by the Smeltic with the Jumbos pushing them hard in third place.
There would then be a group of clubs, some of whose fans try to mimic their supposed protestant brethern such as Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee.
Then all the rest of us who just couldn't give a sheite what religion you are or are not.
For the record I was born (1946) into a Leith protestant family who were Hibs daft. Then we were joined by marriage to an Edinburgh protestant family who were diehard Jambos. The only difference was that they admitted to having no time for catholics, and still don't!!!
It's a good job you can pick your friends eh!

Simkin911
19-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Religion has no place in football and we should be proud there are no issues worthy of note with Hibs fans or at Easter Road (to my knowledge). End of.

EH6 Hibby
19-12-2009, 08:11 PM
In truth forever and ever, gets banded about once every couple of weeks and is sung by the majority in the east, although most only join in the second part of the song.

Where about in the East do you sit? Cause I never hear the first part being sung, only the second. :confused:

forthhibby
19-12-2009, 08:15 PM
no sectarianism at easter road, we'll sing 'you are a weegie' to both sides of the old firm

ArabHibee
19-12-2009, 08:20 PM

How does that song go?

Fat Stu
19-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Where about in the East do you sit? Cause I never hear the first part being sung, only the second. :confused:

2nd last section at the south end normally.

How does that song go?

Forever and ever
we'll follow the boys
the edinburgh hibees
the tim malloys
and we won't be mastered
by who, by no orange barsteward
we'll keep the green flag flying high
so bring on the hearts and celtic, rangers
bring on the spanish by the score
bareclona, real madrid
**** (them all or the queen)* for half a quid
cos hibees are the greatest fitba team

*have hear both versions sung

joe breezy
19-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Sounds like the guys a complete twat, I would spike his tea if I were you, whether that's with laxative or arsenic is up to you

Jamesie
19-12-2009, 08:31 PM

Thoughts

That sums the guy up then in my book.

Big Frank
19-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Thoughts

This clever,relatively senior manager, fifer is a bigotted pwick.

Of the highest order.

Give him a kick in the sacks from me.

ArabHibee
19-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Forever and ever
we'll follow the boys
the edinburgh hibees
the tim malloys
and we won't be mastered
bareclona, real madrid

Cheers for that. I've never heard the first part of that sung before but definitely the second part (with different words from those above) and not just by Hibs supporters.

FranckSuzy
19-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Thoughts

To be fair, who cares what anyone else thinks? We shouldn't have to justify ourselves to anyone as to why we support the Hibees, especially someone who probably hasn't been to Ibrox/Parkhead/church/chapel in years. Amen.

cad
19-12-2009, 08:55 PM

This guy is no Weegiehe is s a proud Fifer!

I just can't believe how deep the religous pblem is.s.

Thoughts

Your 42 , hes senior management ,Id go for another job bud
coz your Donald Ducked working their .

Sir David Gray
19-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I have never heard a sectarian song sung by Hibs fans in all my 15 years of supporting Hibs and I hope it stays that way.

The day that Easter Road becomes a replica of Parkhead, with fans singing pro-IRA songs and the tannoy playing Irish folk songs, is the day that I'll stop going to the football.

Big Frank
19-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Forever and ever
we'll follow the boys
the edinburgh hibees
the tim malloys
and we won't be mastered
bareclona, real madrid

correctly, it is Barcelona real madrid, we'll take that historic bid.......

**** the queen for half a quid, i would surmise, is for our friends from ibrox.

barcahibs
19-12-2009, 09:53 PM
To Rangers fans, Hibs are Fenian bastirts! To non-Glasgow based Celtc fans, Hibs are dirty orange bastirts!

We cant win!

On the contrary, if both sides hate us then it sounds like we've already won.

For my own tuppence worth I don't know any Hibs fans who are catholics. In fact, thinking about it I don't know any Hibs fans who are any religion. Except flying spaghetti monsterism of course.

Doesn't stop a Glaswegian bluenose friend of a friend who attempts to make digs about priests and mass every time we meet. He seems genuinely astonished that this doesn't get under my skin and assumes I'm just hiding it I think.
He's way outweighed in annoyance by those celtic fans who think I MUST secretly sympathise with them. That really does get under my skin.

What a load of Rubbish....When you want to deflect from yourself or in this case Rangers mention about another teams problems or in this case sectarian songs sung by Hibs.....What is his proof?....and if so what context.....3 guys singing in a street? If there is any.....why did you not ask him about Rangers fans and their sectarian songs....or is because its common and part of life at ibrox.....

your conversation reminded me of a post I put on here a while back.

I had a conversation with a Rangers fan last summer which made me realise that some of them are totally bigoted and no matter whats done they will never change.

The Rangers fan lives in Fife and does not go to any games.

The conversation went like this:
Rangers fan: Why do you not like us?
me: well many reasons, like that song you sing being up to your knees in fenian blood for one.
Rangers fan: Whats wrong with that?
Me: What! ok what about the national anthem God save the Queen, you sing that right?......what about the third verse about crushing thy rebellious Scots which is about killing Scots?
Rangers fan: Nothing wrong with that, you have to remember there were no real Scots, Scotland was made up of the Highlands and Lowlands then.
Me: Thanks for that and at that I walked away......

And just cos I love being pedantic and I'm secretly only on here to start a flag debate...

The third verse of God Save the Queen is :

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

There is no fourth verse, despite what people down the pub keep trying to tell me.

A more valid argument against it is thats its a bloody boring song no matter how many verses it has.

BEEJ
19-12-2009, 10:18 PM
It really hacks me off when I get the weedgie **** 'assuming' that I MUST be some kind of pope loving bead rattler? Based on what excactly? I support Hibs? What a load of horse sh*t.

For information....that kind of nonsense makes me sick and it has no place in football. But I will never understand how people draw these conclusions EVEN when we take the time to explain to them that Hibs are in no way involved with any Religous or Political organisation as a rule.
:agree:

I'm a protestant weedgie by birth and have lived in this city all my life. But one of the reasons I was drawn to Hibs as a youngster was that with them there seemed to be less of the religious overtones to the football team you supported. At school in Glasgow in the'70s classmates (largely Huns through family connections) would insist that Hibs was a 'catholic team' and would give me abuse for supporting them. It proved impossible to convince them otherwise.

Proud to be a Hibby! :flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-12-2009, 10:52 PM
The author of the OP is up to no good, ive seen many less ridiculous posts being given a harder time, I smell a Jambo!

IWasThere2016
19-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Thoughts

what is it about huns and Fife?:confused:

Fife is full of bigoted Huns :agree:

Worst areas are Glenrothes, Leven and West Fife especially around Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly, Kelty, Ballingry etc

The author of the OP is up to no good, ive seen many less ridiculous posts being given a harder time, I smell a Jambo!

:greengrin

EH6 Hibby
19-12-2009, 11:28 PM

I sit in the last section nearest the South and as I said I've never heard the first part sung, the second part is very rarely sung either from what I remember although I have heard it occassionally.

Fat Stu
20-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I sit in the last section nearest the South and as I said I've never heard the first part sung, the second part is very rarely sung either from what I remember although I have heard it occassionally.

First part is sung by a few and the rest join in the second part, normally. as I said not a weekly event and even when it is sung it's only once or twice during the game.

jae
20-12-2009, 03:48 AM

Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen.

There is no fourth verse, despite what people down the pub keep trying to tell me.

A more valid argument against it is thats its a bloody boring song no matter how many verses it has.

Published: 11:01AM GMT 03 Dec 2007

1. God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen

4. Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
O'er her thine arm extend
For Britain's sake defend
Our mother, prince, and friend
God save the Queen

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King

Killiehibbie
20-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Worst areas are Glenrothes, Leven and West Fife especially around Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly, Kelty, Ballingry etc

How can anywhere East of Dunfermline be described as West Fife?

JohnnyHibby
20-12-2009, 03:43 PM
On the contrary, if both sides hate us then it sounds like we've already won.

For my own tuppence worth I don't know any Hibs fans who are catholics. In fact, thinking about it I don't know any Hibs fans who are any religion. Except flying spaghetti monsterism of course.

Doesn't stop a Glaswegian bluenose friend of a friend who attempts to make digs about priests and mass every time we meet. He seems genuinely astonished that this doesn't get under my skin and assumes I'm just hiding it I think.
He's way outweighed in annoyance by those celtic fans who think I MUST secretly sympathise with them. That really does get under my skin.

And just cos I love being pedantic and I'm secretly only on here to start a flag debate...

Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen.

Oh my......ok...its the sixth verse.....but the point is it is ingrained in the God Save the Queen/King for all time......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1571287/God-Save-the-Queen---lyrics.html

hibbybrian
20-12-2009, 04:01 PM
correctly, it is Barcelona real madrid, we'll take that historic bid.......

I remember it as:

:singing:

bring on Hearts Rangers and the Celtic
bring on the Spaniards by the score
Barcelona, Real Madrid
they will make their gallant bid
but you'll never see the Spaniards anymore

barcahibs
20-12-2009, 04:03 PM

God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all

Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen

From shore to shore
And form one family
The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
God save the Queen

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
God save the King

:hijack:

:greengrin I love the internet there's always someone will out pedant you :greengrin

OK I'll try and have a go back...

I'm beaten already! There's actually only two verses to the national anthem, according to the Royal Family's own website Betty's place (http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/NationalAnthem.aspx)

A wee bit of digging shows they dropped the second verse (I thought that was the second verse too) after the war as it was too belligerent.

The rest of your verses are a mish mash from various sources, none of them official.
Your verse 4 comes from an attempted rewrite to remove all the references to royalty. Its sometimes called the Commonwealth verse and is used in Oz and NZ.
Verse 5 was written after someone took a potshot at George III (and somehow managed to miss) but was never officially adopted.

Your verse 6 is of course the controversial one!

It has, and has never had, any official status. Its just one of many non-official verses that various people have written and sung at various times. It has the same status as the Sex Pistols version - though it was probably better recieved by the establishment :greengrin
It had fallen out of use long before God Save the Queen became the British national anthem

There was a Jacobite verse (some people claim the whole song is Jacobite) written around the same time

God bless the prince, I pray
Charlie I mean
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry
Both George and his ****ie
Ever so, amen

It has exactly the same status as all the other non-offical verses so you could always sing that :greengrin (Oh and thats not a sweary word thats been blanked out! Petrie!!! :grr: :greengrin )

There's also a bilingual Canadian version, a Peace version, a Maori version, and a (vaguely) Republican one. And probablt loads more.

The French of course claim they wrote the whole thing and it's all about Louis XIV's hemorrhoids. :sauzee: Which always gives me a smile when I see it sung at national events. :greengrin. The poor Queen.

Did anyone else have to study this recently :boo hoo:

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2009, 06:15 PM
If there was a Bigot League in Scottish football then without doubt the mucky Glasca Rankers would win it every year,closely followed by the Smeltic with the Jumbos pushing them hard in third place.
There would then be a group of clubs, some of whose fans try to mimic their supposed protestant brethern such as Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee.
Then all the rest of us who just couldn't give a sheite what religion you are or are not.
For the record I was born (1946) into a Leith protestant family who were Hibs daft. Then we were joined by marriage to an Edinburgh protestant family who were diehard Jambos. The only difference was that they admitted to having no time for catholics, and still don't!!!
It's a good job you can pick your friends eh!

I think it's a wee bit naive to say that there is no religious element to Hibs support. We have all seen people crossing themselves, and talking about the Pope's 11 etc We even have a forum on here called the Holy Ground. It's estimated that over 50% of Hibs supporters are Roman Catholic.

I think the thing that we should be proud of is that despite our well known history, there is no intolerance of Protestants at Easter Road, we can all share in the love of the club.

I have never heard a sectarian song sung by Hibs fans in all my 15 years of supporting Hibs and I hope it stays that way.

The day that Easter Road becomes a replica of Parkhead, with fans singing pro-IRA songs and the tannoy playing Irish folk songs, is the day that I'll stop going to the football.

That would have been around 1979, when Tom Hart made a very public condemnation of our support at Rugby Park. The youngsters at that time (of which I was one) sported all sorts of sectarian regalia, and sang the full catalogue of Irish rebel songs - the Merry Ploughboy was a favourite of mine.

The club and supporters moved on, and I think it is a much more comfortable place to be these days.

Barney McGrew
20-12-2009, 06:23 PM
We have all seen people crossing themselves, and talking about the Pope's 11 etc We even have a forum on here called the Holy Ground. It's estimated that over 50% of Hibs supporters are Roman Catholic

I've never seen any Hibs supporter cross themselves at a game or refer to the team as the Pope's XI.

And where is the estimation of the Hibs support from, because I've never seen that anywhere either?

Sir David Gray
20-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I've never seen any Hibs supporter cross themselves at a game or refer to the team as the Pope's XI.

And where is the estimation of the Hibs support from, because I've never seen that anywhere either?

I don't know about the last two but I have seen some Hibs fans cross themselves in the past, when we've been playing Rangers.

PISTOL1875
20-12-2009, 06:33 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If we were ever to lower ourselves to the OF , I would stop going to see football.....

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2009, 06:35 PM

I have seen it lots of times. I remember about 11 years ago a guy ran on the pitch to commemorate his dead pal and he crossed himself on the centre circle. Not a bad thing, but obviously something he thought appropriate. At the end of the day I can't speculate as to his motives.

In the past the fans were much more Republican and it happened a lot. I still see it from time to time.

The estimate comes from a book called "Celtic's Paranoia - All in the Mind?", can't remember the author. He investigated sectarian bias in an detached academic way, although I don't agree with all his conclusions, he was not a sensationalist but merely trying to do an objective analysis.

He cited the poll from another source, which I can't remember either. Celtic were 95% RC; Hibs, 50% and Dundee United 25%. I'm sure a straw poll on here would show a higher percentage of RC than the general population.

fiolex1
20-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Guys,
I've got a confession to make I did sing sectarian songs when I was 16-17 years old had a Tri-Colour and all that, but was just a stupid kid and didn't know what is was really all about, however I can't remember in the last 20 years any sectarian stuff.

Met a mate on a bus several years ago and he asked If i was still into all that ****, I was really embarassed.

As for the senior manager, he's not directly in charge of me, and every Rangers fan I know deep down is a bigot, and it usually shows itself with a wee bit alchohol.

Anyway let's pump these bigots next Saturday

Mon the Hibs

BEEJ
20-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I think it's a wee bit naive to say that there is no religious element to Hibs support. We have all seen people crossing themselves, and talking about the Pope's 11 etc We even have a forum on here called the Holy Ground. It's estimated that over 50% of Hibs supporters are Roman Catholic.
By inference then, only Roman Catholics can be 'holy'? :greengrin

Big Frank
20-12-2009, 07:19 PM

I think the thing that we should be proud of is that despite our well known history, there is no intolerance of Protestants at Easter Road, we can all share in the love of the club.

That would have been around 1979, when Tom Hart made a very public condemnation of our support at Rugby Park. The youngsters at that time (of which I was one) sported all sorts of sectarian regalia, and sang the full catalogue of Irish rebel songs - the Merry Ploughboy was a favourite of mine.

The club and supporters moved on, and I think it is a much more comfortable place to be these days.

Its estimated that 50% of Hibs fans are Roman Catholic. According to.......................a book about celtc.

Deary dear. You should behave!

Where I was growing up in edinburgh, in my circle of friends I'd say there was around 30 lads who were all Hibbys, and one was catholic.

I'd say that that was more likely the ratio! I'd even go so far as to say that hertz will have around the same percentage of non protestants as Hibs have.

1 in 2? your having a laff

Nakedmanoncrack
20-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Its estimated that 50% of Hibs fans are Roman Catholic. According to.......................a book about celtc.

Where I was growing up in edinburgh, in my circle of friends I'd say there was around 30 lads who were all Hibbys, and one was catholic.

I'd say that that was more likely the ratio! I'd even go so far as to say that hertz will have around the same percentage of non protestants as Hibs have.

Probably not 1 in 2 but certainly a higher percentage of RC than the general Lothian population, Hearts support on the other hand is overwelmingly non RC.

Big Frank
20-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Probably not 1 in 2 but certainly a higher percentage of RC than the general Lothian population, Hearts support on the other hand is overwelmingly non RC.

I disagree man.

The Hibernian support is overwhelmingly not catholic.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I disagree man.

The Hibernian support is overwhelmingly not catholic.

It could be overwhelmingly not catholic yet still have a higher percentage of catholics amongst it than the general population.

madhibby
20-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Ive seen a few polls that suggest probably around 30% of Hibs supports are "baptised?" Catholics. What I mean is they were brought up as Catholics although I would imagine a high proportion of that number probably don't attend Mass on any regular basis.

That number is high than the around 15% of Lothian's population that are Catholics?

As a non religious Hibby, although brought as a C of S Protestant all I would want is that the choice to support Hibs should not be based on religion or political views and these views, which people are entitled to have, should not be brought into supporting the Hibees

Bishop Hibee
20-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Ive seen a few polls that suggest probably around 30% of Hibs supports are "baptised?" Catholics. What I mean is they were brought up as Catholics although I would imagine a high proportion of that number probably don't attend Mass on any regular basis.

That number is high than the around 15% of Lothian's population that are Catholics?

Probably about right.

Myself and the 4 family/mates who sit beside me are all baptised Catholics but range from rampant atheism to weekly Mass attendance. I have loads of Catholic mates who are Hibbies. It's a historical reality and nothing to be ashamed of. It certainly doesn't make Hibs fans bigots. That's the twisted logic of the hun.

My experience through RC school in Edinburgh was that the pupils were almost exclusively Hibs or Celtc fans. Definitely not the case now.

RosComain
20-12-2009, 09:26 PM

A lot of ex mining towns across the country have traditionally been pro rangers/union/protestant etc and anti celtic/irish/ roman catholic (many of the locals seeing these 2 sets of quite different things- football, nationality and religion as being interchangable). a mate of mine studied scottish history a few years back and reckons the current secterian nonsense can be traced back to irish immigrants coming over here to work in mines for less money and longer hours than the local men. fisticuffs ensued, lines were drawn in the dust etc and that led to divisions that although not initially religious in any way became polarised to roman catholic vs protestant. fast forward a century or so and this ignorance has morphed into something even more abhorent and ignorant. much as i hate to see hearts benefit in any way i'm glad celtic lost today and i hope we stick it right up rangers next week- not for religious cultural or any reason other than to see the hibees closer to the top of the league and those tramps crying into their buckfast.

The Harp Awakes
20-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Probably about right.

Myself and the 4 family/mates who sit beside me are all baptised Catholics but range from rampant atheism to weekly Mass attendance. I have loads of Catholic mates who are Hibbies. It's a historical reality and nothing to be ashamed of. It certainly doesn't make Hibs fans bigots. That's the twisted logic of the hun.

My experience through RC school in Edinburgh was that the pupils were almost exclusively Hibs or Celtc fans. Definitely not the case now.

I went to Catholic primary and secondary schools in Edinburgh (a good few years ago now) and the vast majority of kids were Hibs fans although there were a good few Celtic fans as well. Very few jambos or blue noses.

To put it in perspective though, Edinburgh with a population of ~500,000 has only 3 catholic secondary schools so I would say the majority of Hibs fans would be non-catholic. I would still reckon though that the Hibs support has a much higher proportion of Catholics than the Scottish average - probably about 30/40%.

CorrieHibs
21-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Thoughts
I used to work in Livingston so a lot of huns worked there. All of them were shocked that i am protestant and support Hibs tried to explain to them it depends where ur family is from and not religion. Their was one hun in particular that was a orange man and wouldn't speak to me cos he knew i was a Hibs fan therefore though i was catholic what a g**p. Shouldn't matter what religion,race or gender u are its digusting how this is involved in football and thankfully Hibs don't get dragged into this unlike a small minority of Hearts fans unfortunatley my friends who are Hearts fans are included in this by wearing England tops and waving union jacks and hating everything that isn't British.

Baldy Foghorn
21-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I used to work in Livingston so a lot of huns worked there. All of them were shocked that i am protestant and support Hibs tried to explain to them it depends where ur family is from and not religion. Their was one hun in particular that was a orange man and wouldn't speak to me cos he knew i was a Hibs fan therefore though i was catholic what a g**p. Shouldn't matter what religion,race or gender u are its digusting how this is involved in football and thankfully Hibs don't get dragged into this unlike a small minority of Hearts fans unfortunatley my friends who are Hearts fans are included in this by wearing England tops and waving union jacks and hating everything that isn't British.

Unfortunately Rangers fans are the most stupid intolerable plankton on this planet, not worth speaking about or getting upset about them.....

Keith_M
21-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd like to give my take on this.

Though I'm not RC (my family background is Protestant, though I'm not), I'm proud of the origins of the club, as attempting to get round the bigotry of the time and allow RC/Irish immigrants the opportunity to play football, which was denied to them by other clubs at the time. Hibs have moved on and are a very mixed club. It's entirely possible that Hibs have a slightly higher percentage of RCs in the support than in the population as a whole. However, I suspect that's purely down to the history of the their families, football allegiances generally being handed down from parent to child.

Just because some thick headed numbnuts of a Rankers follower has trouble getting his two brain cells round the concept, it doesn't change the fact that Hibs are a club with no religous affiliations and one that isn't chosen by people because of their religion. Long may it continue that way.

:notworthy:

Phil D. Rolls
21-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Read the post Frank, the source wasn't the book about Celtic, it was quoted in the book. You criticise me for using a poll referenced in a book, and then you try to demolish my argument with a poll conducted amongst, er, people you know.

Very scientific. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
21-12-2009, 10:19 AM

I was stunned at the sectariansim in Fife. There was a large migration from Central Scotland in the 20th Century, and I take it they brought their poison with them.

Antifa Hibs
21-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I went to Catholic primary and secondary schools in Edinburgh (a good few years ago now) and the vast majority of kids were Hibs fans although there were a good few Celtic fans as well. Very few jambos or blue noses.

To put it in perspective though, Edinburgh with a population of ~500,000 has only 3 catholic secondary schools so I would say the majority of Hibs fans would be non-catholic. I would still reckon though that the Hibs support has a much higher proportion of Catholics than the Scottish average - probably about 30/40%.

TBH I'd say the majority of people won't come under the catholic or prodestant category but would fall under the couldn't give a **** about religion as its all made up nonsense category.

There will be a few religous types at Easter Road but how many Easter Road regulars do you know that go to church? I know a big fat ZERO.

JackRegan
21-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I was stunned at the sectariansim in Fife. There was a large migration from Central Scotland in the 20th Century, and I take it they brought their poison with them.

Due to a large amount of Celtic games taking place on a Sunday, I see a lot of Junior football on a Saturday and have became quite attached and involved in my "wee" team.

anyway, the juniors is pretty good and apart from a handful of clubs its a great mix of people involved. However on a pre seasone xcursion to Fife, we (50/50 spilt of huns and Tims)were all astounded at the level of bitterness among those in COwdenbeath. One of my bluenose mates even said that this was anti Catholicism on a different level.

I also remember seeing Celtic play East Fife at Methil in 1984 and having auld dears calling us all the Papish so and sos under the sun.

Which is strange because Pars and Raith fans are rpetty decent. No wat can teh guy be a "true Fifer". If he was a "true Fifer", he'd support a Fife team.

Bad Martini
21-12-2009, 11:18 AM
MOST (MOST for the PC brigade who won't see the truth) of the die-hard/staunch/died in the wool huns are biggots. They don't know any different and in all honesty, never will. They are too stupid to learn and they are most definitely not interested in changing.

Hence they were fined by Uefa for it...they've been noted for it, they are not nice people and contrary to what any biased, west of Scotland moaning faced weej orientated rag would have you believe (or the biased Weej press generally) you can be certain it's not just the "small minority". If it is, they're giving a good impression of sounding like a large chunk of the stadium when the belt out their joyous little folk ditties about killing Catholics, fenians and all that sheite.

The problem, is this. They don't see the 2 main issues here:

1) It has NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING to do with football
2) It has NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING to do with football

Politics, religion, etc etc...NOWT to do with football.

If they could keep their nasty little biggoted ways to themselves, behind closed doors and away from the world we'd all be saved the pish but not only do they harbour these worrying thoughts, they love nothing better than to tell the WHOLE world and anyone who'll listen about pish wars and battles from hundreds of years ago.

Bunch of bawbags.

ENDOF

Green_one
21-12-2009, 11:52 AM
No idea how many Catholics support Hibs but I can tell you that a sgnificant number of Jedi do.

Certain am I

:hnetinq:

joe breezy
21-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Due to a large amount of Celtic games taking place on a Sunday, I see a lot of Junior football on a Saturday and have became quite attached and involved in my "wee" team.

anyway, the juniors is pretty good and apart from a handful of clubs its a great mix of people involved. However on a pre seasone xcursion to Fife, we (50/50 spilt of huns and Tims)were all astounded at the level of bitterness among those in COwdenbeath. One of my bluenose mates even said that this was anti Catholicism on a different level.

I also remember seeing Celtic play East Fife at Methil in 1984 and having auld dears calling us all the Papish so and sos under the sun.

Which is strange because Pars and Raith fans are rpetty decent. No wat can teh guy be a "true Fifer". If he was a "true Fifer", he'd support a Fife team.

Nice sentiment, but I've always known a fair few Celtic fans from Dunfermline. I'd imagine there are plenty Huns too but same story around the country.

Dunfermline used to get good crowds but seems to have collapsed over the past 15 years.

Hopefully one day Scotland will be rid of this sectarian nonsense forever.

I'm sure it's better now than it used to be mind

Thornton Hibee
21-12-2009, 12:22 PM
How can anywhere East of Dunfermline be described as West Fife?
Always has been mate, perhaps to do with the Council splitting Fife into three sectors?
I'd agree that Lochgelly, Hill of Beath, Ballingry etc are staunch Rangers and would also mention Kennoway and having been brought up near Glenrothes, it is full of them too.
Having followed Thornton Hibs for many years wearing green and white I've seen and heard thousands of abusive comments referring to us as "fenian *******s" etc both in and out of Fife

Gingertosser
21-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Not that long ago it used to be a case of

'Dirty Fenian Barstewards' when playing Celtic

'Dirty Orange Barstewards' when playing Rangers

always found it quite funny :devil:

The_Todd
21-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Forever and ever
we'll follow the boys
the edinburgh hibees
the tim malloys
and we won't be mastered
bareclona, real madrid

I've never heard this, first or second part. Think I need my hearing tested.

Phil D. Rolls
21-12-2009, 04:52 PM
MOST (MOST for the PC brigade who won't see the truth) of the die-hard/staunch/died in the wool huns are biggots. They don't know any different and in all honesty, never will. They are too stupid to learn and they are most definitely not interested in changing.

H

Could you explain what you mean by this BM? It's just that I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Who are this PC Brigade that won't see the truth?

Surely the PC Brigade would be the ones that are over zealous against sectarianism, rather than sticking up for the bigots and making the matter smaller than it is?

hibsbollah
21-12-2009, 06:18 PM
A lot of ex mining towns across the country have traditionally been pro rangers/union/protestant etc and anti celtic/irish/ roman catholic (many of the locals seeing these 2 sets of quite different things- football, nationality and religion as being interchangable). a mate of mine studied scottish history a few years back and reckons the current secterian nonsense can be traced back to irish immigrants coming over here to work in mines for less money and longer hours than the local men. fisticuffs ensued, lines were drawn in the dust etc and that led to divisions that although not initially religious in any way became polarised to roman catholic vs protestant. fast forward a century or so and this ignorance has morphed into something even more abhorent and ignorant. much as i hate to see hearts benefit in any way i'm glad celtic lost today and i hope we stick it right up rangers next week- not for religious cultural or any reason other than to see the hibees closer to the top of the league and those tramps crying into their buckfast.

Your mate is spot on, a lot of the tensions started from economic migration to induustrial areas in the mid 19th century. Although strangely, the worst sectarian violence at that time was in Liverpool, not in Scotland or elsewhere the Irish went. But for some reason sectarianism never got established there the same way as it did in Scotland:confused:

The Godfather
21-12-2009, 07:30 PM
The great thing about our club is that although we have a very proud history and obvious Irish roots, we have a mixed support, and unlike what happens in the West of Scotland, religion does not determine what club you follow. From all the guys I go to the matches with, you would not know or want to know what religion they are. Who cares, we are in this for the love of HFC.

:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Best post of the Year well said mate :thumbsup:

Bad Martini
22-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Could you explain what you mean by this BM? It's just that I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Who are this PC Brigade that won't see the truth?

Surely the PC Brigade would be the ones that are over zealous against sectarianism, rather than sticking up for the bigots and making the matter smaller than it is?

No worries mate...the brigade who not so long ago pitched up to say it wasn't "all the rangers fans" who had the problem and only a small minority etc etc and it wasn't right to slag them off on this basis.

My point is, its NOT the minority, hence it IS OK to rip them on this basis.

Note: if all the follow(follow)ers of glasgow rangers stopped singing their folk songs, stopped the open hatred of anyone who isn't of hunish thinking i.e. biggoted, stopped their general winduppery of the rest of Scotland and stopped being a bunch of big auld stupid looking bawbags, I'd definitely change my stance. Roughly about the same time this happens, hell will freeze over, pigs will fly past my windae and Nade will run 3 laps around Meadowbank in 33 seconds flat.

The prosecution rests, m'lord.

ENDOF

Phil D. Rolls
22-12-2009, 11:59 AM
No worries mate...the brigade who not so long ago pitched up to say it wasn't "all the rangers fans" who had the problem and only a small minority etc etc and it wasn't right to slag them off on this basis.

My point is, its NOT the minority, hence it IS OK to rip them on this basis.

Note: if all the follow(follow)ers of glasgow rangers stopped singing their folk songs, stopped the open hatred of anyone who isn't of hunish thinking i.e. biggoted, stopped their general winduppery of the rest of Scotland and stopped being a bunch of big auld stupid looking bawbags, I'd definitely change my stance. Roughly about the same time this happens, hell will freeze over, pigs will fly past my windae and Nade will run 3 laps around Meadowbank in 33 seconds flat.

The prosecution rests, m'lord.

ENDOF

I agree 100%, it is far from a minority at the grounds, and it spills over into communities all over Central Scotland. These guys are fundamentalists and the best thing we can do is laugh at them IMO.

Hibs Spain
22-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I disagree man.

The Hibernian support is overwhelmingly not catholic.I would say at least half or very close to it are catholic.

Hibs Spain
22-12-2009, 01:11 PM

To put it in perspective though, Edinburgh with a population of ~500,000 has only 3 catholic secondary schools so I would say the majority of Hibs fans would be non-catholic. I would still reckon though that the Hibs support has a much higher proportion of Catholics than the Scottish average - probably about 30/40%.A lot of catholic kids don't go to catholic schools.

joe breezy
22-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I would say at least half or very close to it are catholic.

Looks like people are drawing conclusions from their own experience. I would say that at least half of the Hibs support are athiest or agnostic.

Hibs Spain
22-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like people are drawing conclusions from their own experience. I would say that at least half of the Hibs support are athiest or agnostic.Yeh,I'm just judging by what I see,hear and know and guesstimating.I don't know what religion a lot of my fellow supporters are.I never thought to ask! It's irrelevant to me.:agree:

joe breezy
22-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeh,I'm just judging by what I see,hear and know and guesstimating.I don't know what religion a lot of my fellow supporters are.I never thought to ask! It's irrelevant to me.:agree:

And that is the beauty of being a Hibby (or just one of the many beautiful things about being a Hibby) :greengrin

jae
22-12-2009, 02:30 PM
:hijack:

:greengrin I love the internet there's always someone will out pedant you :greengrin

OK I'll try and have a go back...

I'm beaten already! There's actually only two verses to the national anthem, according to the Royal Family's own website Betty's place (http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/NationalAnthem.aspx)

A wee bit of digging shows they dropped the second verse (I thought that was the second verse too) after the war as it was too belligerent.

The rest of your verses are a mish mash from various sources, none of them official.
Your verse 4 comes from an attempted rewrite to remove all the references to royalty. Its sometimes called the Commonwealth verse and is used in Oz and NZ.
Verse 5 was written after someone took a potshot at George III (and somehow managed to miss) but was never officially adopted.

Your verse 6 is of course the controversial one!

It has, and has never had, any official status. Its just one of many non-official verses that various people have written and sung at various times. It has the same status as the Sex Pistols version - though it was probably better recieved by the establishment :greengrin
It had fallen out of use long before God Save the Queen became the British national anthem

There was a Jacobite verse (some people claim the whole song is Jacobite) written around the same time

Charlie I mean
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry
Both George and his ****ie
Ever so, amen

It has exactly the same status as all the other non-offical verses so you could always sing that :greengrin (Oh and thats not a sweary word thats been blanked out! Petrie!!! : :greengrin )

There's also a bilingual Canadian version, a Peace version, a Maori version, and a (vaguely) Republican one. And probablt loads more.

The French of course claim they wrote the whole thing and it's all about Louis XIV's hemorrhoids. :sauzee: Which always gives me a smile when I see it sung at national events. :greengrin. The poor Queen.

Did anyone else have to study this recently :boo hoo:

Ah well that will be me out pedanted. Congratulations

For the record none of the verses belong to me, just something I found on the net for discussion.

As for the National Anthem I couldn't give a hoot.

Have a very Merry Christmas master Pedanter :wink:

Bishop Hibee
22-12-2009, 02:45 PM
TBH I'd say the majority of people won't come under the catholic or prodestant category but would fall under the couldn't give a **** about religion as its all made up nonsense category.

There will be a few religous types at Easter Road but how many Easter Road regulars do you know that go to church? I know a big fat ZERO.

I know quite a few actually but I personally don't know any members of anti-fascist action who do although me and my mates did chase a seller of 'Bulldog' from his pitch outside ER in the late 80's.

Amazingly, not everyone at ER believes the same things as you :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
22-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I remember it as:

bring on Hearts Rangers and the Celtic
bring on the Spaniards by the score
Barcelona, Real Madrid
they will make their gallant bid
but you'll never see the Spaniards anymore

Version I remember didn't recognise yams as worthy of inclusion. That was before they were a big team and won two cups in a century.

Bring on Rangers after Celtic
Bring on Spaniards by the score
Barcelona, Real Madrid
They will make a gallant bid
But we're out to show the world what we can do

NAE NOOKIE
22-12-2009, 09:52 PM
No idea how many Catholics support Hibs but I can tell you that a sgnificant number of Jedi do.

Certain am I

:hnetinq:

:faf:

Phil D. Rolls
23-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Looks like people are drawing conclusions from their own experience. I would say that at least half of the Hibs support are athiest or agnostic.

I would say, going by an independent poll that was published in a book I read that the support is close to 50% Roman Catholic. As you say, others have done surveys using a sample population of them and their mates and drawn different conclusions.

I have to say, it's not something I normally ask people. But it is quite embarassing to see all this "I'm Protestant, and so are my mates, so the Hibs support is overwhelmingly non Catholic".

A bit of imagination about the club's origins would surely make it likely that Hibs have traditionally drawn support from Roman Catholic families in the area, as well as Protestant ones.

Mind you I met a Sikh the other day and he supports Hibs, so I would say that a large proportion of Hibs supporters wear turbans.

Dashing Bob S
23-12-2009, 07:18 AM
In all this guff about catholic and protestant Hibs fans, and even shieks, muslims and jews, those of us who don't give a flying Wolfgang Puck about religion shouldn't be forgotten.

Everything indicates to me that we're not only the silent majority at ER, but in Scotland as a whole. Even amongst the empty vessel bigots of Rantic, most of whom have never seen the inside of a church without shaking, drooling and suffering in grim anticipation of the alcoholic relief to follow follow at the subsequent wedding of two inbred mongols or the thankful funeral of another buffoon.

bigwheel
23-12-2009, 07:50 AM
I

Mind you I met a Sikh the other day and he supports Hibs, so I would say that a large proportion of Hibs supporters wear turbans.

:greengrin:greengrin this made me laugh.....very funny....

1875godsgift
23-12-2009, 08:53 AM
In all this guff about catholic and protestant Hibs fans, and even shieks, muslims and jews, those of us who don't give a flying Wolfgang Puck about religion shouldn't be forgotten.

Everything indicates to me that we're not only the silent majority at ER, but in Scotland as a whole. Even amongst the empty vessel bigots of Rantic, most of whom have never seen the inside of a church without shaking, drooling and suffering in grim anticipation of the alcoholic relief to follow follow at the subsequent wedding of two inbred mongols or the thankful funeral of another buffoon.

:top marksExcellent post! It's also the only time they ever wear their ill-fitting, dubiously stained, fashionless glad-rags, apart from their numerous appearances in court on charges of benefit fraud.

New Corrie
23-12-2009, 09:12 AM
:top marksExcellent post! It's also the only time they ever wear their ill-fitting, dubiously stained, fashionless glad-rags, apart from their numerous appearances in court on charges of benefit fraud.

What's worse, snobbery or Bigotry ? :confused:

JackRegan
23-12-2009, 09:16 AM

Dunno if thats the case, so much about Mass attendance among Celtic fans which I reckon is still quite high. RCs being the "best" observers of any Christian faith in Scotland with about 28% going for a weekly jaunt to the "Pineapple".

My old supporters bus (and a few others) still have an annual Mass. :greengrin

JackRegan
23-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Depends what's in fashion CG!

Darth Hibbie
23-12-2009, 09:17 AM
From a quick poll in my head. I would have to say that 99.9999999% (got to leave some room for error) of hibs fan could not give a flying f what religion other football fans are. Think thats the most important thing.

dangermouse
23-12-2009, 12:01 PM

God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen

2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all

Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
God save the Queen

From shore to shore
And form one family
The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
God save the Queen

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
God save the King

Although the Jacobites used this in reply

God bless the prince, I pray,
God bless the prince, I pray,
Charlie I mean;
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
Both George and his ****ie,
Ever so, Amen.

Edit: Sorry Barcahibs, posted this before I got to #56

Septimus
23-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Your mate is spot on, a lot of the tensions started from economic migration to induustrial areas in the mid 19th century. Although strangely, the worst sectarian violence at that time was in Liverpool, not in Scotland or elsewhere the Irish went. But for some reason sectarianism never got established there the same way as it did in Scotland:confused:

Perhaps the history scholar should check the history of Scotland around 1560. The anti-catholic bigotry which flowed into the East coast towns from the continent at that time contained much anto-pope material which would never be allowed to be published now. I'm not sure that all this religion has a great deal to do with football and bearing in mind that it all happened before the Jams had won any world wars it all seems somewhat irrelevant. Sectarianism became more firmly established in Scotland because Scotland had a genuine Reformation and England did not.

vahibbie
23-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Dunno if thats the case, so much about Mass attendance among Celtic fans which I reckon is still quite high. RCs being the "best" observers of any Christian faith in Scotland with about 28% going for a weekly jaunt to the "Pineapple".

Well it's a pity more of them don't take the basic Christian principles to games with them:bitchy:

LancsHibs
23-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Good for you :yawn:

1875godsgift
24-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Well, bigotry, obviously. Not many people die as a result of snobbery.:rolleyes:

Diclonius
25-12-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm Catholic, but as far as I'm concerned my religion plays no part in any other aspect of my life, including football. I also couldn't care less about what religion, let alone sect, people choose to follow.

It's a shame that I will be subject to blind abuse from many football fans who know no better (and indeed, the reverse applies to members of the Church of Scotland et al) and apply a number of stupid prejudices to me but hey, that's human nature.

Btw, I ****in' hate Celtic.

the happy hibee
25-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Bigotry! But only if its against the blue side of glasgow tho CG eh! :devil: from the happy hibee son colin

joe breezy
25-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, bigotry, obviously. Not many people die as a result of snobbery.:rolleyes:

I got called a Glasgow tramp when I started school in Edinburgh - at one point had a group of about 10 yams trying to chase me around the playground, that was nice (I was 6 at the time) and had no idea why everyone decided to hate me cos I had a Glasgow accent. Snobbery might not kill anyone but being called a Glasgow tramp wasn't much different to being called a fenian Hibs bar steward for me.

Woody1985
25-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Always has been mate, perhaps to do with the Council splitting Fife into three sectors?
I'd agree that Lochgelly, Hill of Beath, Ballingry etc are staunch Rangers and would also mention Kennoway and having been brought up near Glenrothes, it is full of them too.
Having followed Thornton Hibs for many years wearing green and white I've seen and heard thousands of abusive comments referring to us as "fenian *******s" etc both in and out of Fife

Strange wee place that.

I went up to stay with a mate one time and we went around a few of the pubs. I was in one put and there was about 12 people around 20ish all watching the Eurovision song contest. Weird.

I then asked him and one of his mates to take me to a place a little more lively. We went to this rough boozer and we were in there for about 2 minutes and got offered a square go because I was fi Edinburgh. :LOL:

The boy looked like a wee tool but there were about 20 of them so would have got ****ed up!

There were grown men in their late 30s / 40s chasing cars down the street trying to kick them and just generally going radge. Freaks.

MSK
25-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Strange wee place that.

I went up to stay with a mate one time and we went around a few of the pubs. I was in one put and there was about 12 people around 20ish all watching the Eurovision song contest. Weird.

I then asked him and one of his mates to take me to a place a little more lively. We went to this rough boozer and we were in there for about 2 minutes and got offered a square go because I was fi Edinburgh. :LOL:

The boy looked like a wee tool but there were about 20 of them so would have got ****ed up!

There were grown men in their late 30s / 40s chasing cars down the street trying to kick them and just generally going radge. Freaks.I spent a few years of my childhood in Glenrothes & attended Caskieberran primary school..fantastic "new town"...sadly it deteriorated & i couldnt believe the place when i re-visited it many years later ..mind you its far bigger now than it was then ..a kinda like Livingston ..

benji49
25-12-2009, 04:39 PM
rftrrrr
We cant win!
Rangers fans are hun **rs simple.

Thigh ar la
25-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by JackRegan http://www.hibs.net/message/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2281983#post2281983)

Was this the game that Gordon Durie scored twice to knock us out of the cup? We signed him up not much longer after if i remember rightly.
I do remember a pretty venomous atmosphere but also remember that a lot of so called East Fife fans were actually Huns looking for someone to hate and we fitted the bill. I was only about 13 at the time so I may not be completely accurate. I was glad to get out there, i do remember that much!

McrHibee
09-01-2018, 12:35 AM

Everything indicates to me that we're not only the silent majority at ER, but in Scotland as a whole. Even amongst the empty vessel bigots of Rantic, most of whom have never seen the inside of a church without shaking, drooling and suffering in grim anticipation of the alcoholic relief to follow follow at the subsequent wedding of two inbred *****ls or the thankful funeral of another buffoon.

That second paragraph made me do a proper giggle, even at the third time of reading. I'm playing catch-up here being a newbie to the forum so apologies for the belated response t o this post, but... Well said that man.

Hermit Crab
09-01-2018, 12:38 AM
That second paragraph made me do a proper giggle, even at the third time of reading. I'm playing catch-up here being a newbie to the forum so apologies for the belated response t o this post, but... Well said that man.

Only another 9 years worth of threads to go then! :greengrin

NZ Green
09-01-2018, 02:49 AM

We cant win!
When you relate religion to football, no one wins.

Golden Bear
09-01-2018, 08:06 AM
9 years on from when this thread started, its time to move on from this guff.

:yawn:

flash
09-01-2018, 08:17 AM

Look forward to hearing your opinion on the Kevin McBride signing.

Moulin Yarns
09-01-2018, 08:26 AM
9 years on from when this thread started, its time to move on from this guff.

:yawn:

And the person who revived it with their first ever post!!