PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Thomas 'Comes Out'

Calvin
19-12-2009, 02:26 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8421956.stm

Major kudos to the guy for making this public. Far too many sportsmen (but can you blame them?) hide their sexualities and that's not good for them or society. Hopefully this paves the way for more sportsmen to admit they're gay but I sadly doubt it. It seems strange to me that it's still such a taboo in this day and age.

Greentinted
19-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Just seen this on the news and thought fair play to the guy. Funny thing is, in the faux-macho environment sportsmen operate within, homophobia still dominates. Even here, on these boards, it persists under the heading of light-hearted banter.
Thomas has obviously struggled with myriad aspects of his sexuality, both internally and externally and perhaps this will go a fair way to normalising what is a personal state of affairs which should, in an ideal world, have no bearing on anybody's chosen profession.
Gareth Thomas - :top marks

Cue some inane comment such as "anything you want to tell us?"

Dashing Bob S
19-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Thomas hasn't struggled with his sexuality at all - it's been an open secret for years in South Wales that he's that way inclined. He was advised by his lawyer to stay in the closet for as much of his playing career as possible to minimise the commercial fallout through sponsorship withdrawal, and general homophobia in the game. He still deserves credit however.

I recall many years ago that two West Ham players were actually caught in bed together, I think one was a chap called Ian Bishop, but this surprisingly didn't receive the kind of virulent homophobic reaction one would imagine, as I recall.

steakbake
19-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I know a gent who still thinks that George Michael was "dishonest" not to be openly gay when he was in Wham. He genuinely says he felt tricked. He's a big rugby fan - I can't wait to hear what he makes of this.

Very brave of the guy (even though I have no idea who he is!). He'll find out who his true friends are after this, I would suspect.

Steve-O
19-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Thomas hasn't struggled with his sexuality at all - it's been an open secret for years in South Wales that he's that way inclined. He was advised by his lawyer to stay in the closet for as much of his playing career as possible to minimise the commercial fallout through sponsorship withdrawal, and general homophobia in the game. He still deserves credit however.

I recall many years ago that two West Ham players were actually caught in bed together, I think one was a chap called Ian Bishop, but this surprisingly didn't receive the kind of virulent homophobic reaction one would imagine, as I recall.

This story sounds familiar. I can't remember the other player either.

steakbake
19-12-2009, 09:34 AM
This story sounds familiar. I can't remember the other player either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bishop_(footballer)

Are we sure about the name of either player involved?

Pretty Boy
19-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Fair play to the guy.

It's just a shame that this still merits being a major news story at all.

H18sry
19-12-2009, 10:27 AM
:singing:He's gay he's bent his :asshole:is up for rent.............:singing: :devil:

CropleyWasGod
19-12-2009, 10:42 AM
:singing:He's gay he's bent his :asshole:is up for rent.............:singing: :devil:

I nominate you to sing that to his face. :wink:

degenerated
19-12-2009, 11:29 AM
trevor morley was the other player

James.
19-12-2009, 11:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bishop_(footballer)

Are we sure about the name of either player involved?

Trevor Morley was the other footballer.

Steve-O
21-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Personal life
Morley was stabbed by his wife in March 2000.[4] Rumours spread that she had caught him in bed with former teammate Ian Bishop. However Morley is a heterosexual and believes that it was his wife who started the rumours.

:shocked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Morley

Allant1981
21-12-2009, 06:50 PM
its good that the guy is letting people know but he still lied to his wife for years, how must she feel now, not that ive always told the wife the truth about everything but for that many years is a bit shocking

CropleyWasGod
21-12-2009, 06:56 PM
its good that the guy is letting people know but he still lied to his wife for years, how must she feel now, not that ive always told the wife the truth about everything but for that many years is a bit shocking

They are still very close friends, according to the media, although they separated some time ago.

Dashing Bob S
22-12-2009, 08:14 AM
They are still very close friends, according to the media, although they separated some time ago.

Yes...yes...and according to the media I'm still on the best of terms with my first two wives. PR tosh.

New Corrie
22-12-2009, 04:02 PM
I always thought that most Rugby players were Fags anyway, I mean, all that rolling about and grabbing each other's Bollocks...what's that all about?

blackpoolhibs
22-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I always thought that most Rugby players were Fags anyway, I mean, all that rolling about and grabbing each other's Bollocks...what's that all about?

Raving poofters like him, should not be allowed to play sports that have bodily contact. Its only asking for trouble.

:devil:

CropleyWasGod
22-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes...yes...and according to the media I'm still on the best of terms with my first two wives. PR tosh.

According to the media, I'm still very close to my ex. Truth.