PDA

View Full Version : Macmerry & Tranent HFC connections

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Apologies that this wont be relevant to all, but Scoopyboys message last week when the E Lothian supporters bus turned up at his house to wish him a happy birthday got me thinking about the huge Hibs support down the east coast. I started going to the games with the Cross Keys bus late 60s, and remember Jackie McBride was the club organiser. Most of the guys that started going then, still mainly go today, 40 years later, and I see the McBrides, Jock Henderson etc regulalry at the matches. That was before Turnbulls team but the base was there for ET to take forward, and then we were hooked for life. My gut feel is that we are in a similar position again, and if we can get people to come along now, they will become "lifers" like us.

Anyway, the point of this post is if you are from Macmerry/Tranent and are members of Hibs.net respond and let me know who you are.

PS I'm Fox.

MrSmith
18-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Every post like this is well worthy!

Agree completely! been a lifer since my old fella took me to ER in 71' he was a lifer also and he was Polish! 62 years he lived in Scotland after being shipped out of Poland aged 14 in 1939.

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm beginning to think that there are not as many Hibbies in Macmerry/Tranent as I thought. Or maybe they are all out on a Xmas night out.

HibeeMcGinn1
18-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Ive been going on the bus for the last 10years and try to help out when I can with raising a bit of cash. Bus is ran by Brooster and Scoopyboy just now but in the past its been ran by a few folk. The guys that go on the bus now are great, strong number for home games will familiar faces every week and always a few new people. Have struggled now and then but times are good with the Hibees just now so hopefully we can get a few more numbers coming along. Always get great banter with some cracking away trips.
John Reynolds ran the bus 30 odd year ago then my Dad and Uncle Greg had a shot. Dont know who had it after them.
Possibly missing some information here, sure my auld man can fill some in.

PS im Josh

GGTTH
:thumbsup:

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Josh, cheers for that. I was trying hard to remember the names, but John Reynolds is spot on. I'm the same age as Johns daughter and went to Ross High with her. Early memories of going to the games was stopping at the Keys, and all the men from Macmerry, who had only just left the Miners club, running in for a quick pint, and us bairns sitting peed off waiting for them on the bus. Ah, the memories.

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Every post like this is well worthy!

Agree completely! been a lifer since my old fella took me to ER in 71' he was a lifer also and he was Polish! 62 years he lived in Scotland after being shipped out of Poland aged 14 in 1939.

Mr Smith you make a great point. Get them in early, and they are here for life. I'm delighted that my seven year old nephew, (from Tranent) wants a Hibs strip with Riordans name on,for Xmas. I was up at the shop in a shot!

Another member of the growing family. The future is Green.:notworthy:

Tranent Hibby
18-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I remember the Cross Keys bus well. John Reynolds, Jackie McBride , Rab Taylor et al (a big fella from the pans was a great guy but cannot remember his name) had a huge membership list both adults and kids numbering hundreds of members.
At one point a bid was made to purchase a building in Tranent to run an East Lothian Hibernian Club and my information is that only a lack of parking facilities made the project unworkable.
Great memories from an early age.

crewetollhibee
18-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Josh, cheers for that. I was trying hard to remember the names, but John Reynolds is spot on. I'm the same age as Johns daughter and went to Ross High with her. Early memories of going to the games was stopping at the Keys, and all the men from Macmerry, who had only just left the Miners club, running in for a quick pint, and us bairns sitting peed off waiting for them on the bus. Ah, the memories.
You must have been at school with me too, I was in Karen's year too !! My best memory was Best's first game at Love St. McBride Snr had to hold accelator cable on the bus to get us through. We left early and only discovered Best had scored when we stopped on Princes St and saw a billboard for the Pink ! Dunsmuir's buses didn't have radio either. Jimmy Logan driving, Key's for a few bevvies; ah, happy days !!!!

MSK
18-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I remember the Cross Keys bus well. John Reynolds, Jackie McBride , Rab Taylor et al (a big fella from the pans was a great guy but cannot remember his name) had a huge membership list both adults and kids numbering hundreds of members.
At one point a bid was made to purchase a building in Tranent to run an East Lothian Hibernian Club and my information is that only a lack of parking facilities made the project unworkable.
Great memories from an early age.My old friend Neil McKillop (R.I.P) once told me a hibs bus used to leave from the Key's ..a tic fan (but a decent one) said there was a good number of hibbies used to leave from that boozer ..

Anyone remember the hibs bus that left from the Key's ..?

tamig
18-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I used to go on the bus in the early 80s getting on at the Pans with Jim Gray and co. Regulars on the bus then were the McBrides, Bob Carr, Tyson etc. Good times.

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 08:59 PM
So CrewtollHibee, who are you then?
I was in the same year as big Tyson, Jock McBride, Dougie Gray, Jock & Jamie Thomson who all went on the Keys/Tranent bust, (and Neil McKillop). I really cant remember any Jambos at Ross High , or have I just managed to rid these from my memory.

Tranent Hibby
18-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I used to go on the bus in the early 80s getting on at the Pans with Jim Gray and co. Regulars on the bus then were the McBrides, Bob Carr, Tyson etc. Good times.

Jim Gray that was his name thanks bud he was a great bloke, his lads came on the bus I think good pans crowd as well. Hibby Days

monktonharp
18-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Great memories from an early age.do you remember Liam Ward? he was a "keys" man ,worked with me doon the pit. was a great wee Hibby,but dont know if he travelled on the bus. used to meet him at ER though. sadly passed away,by all accounts too much swally never helped:boo hoo:would have been well into his 60's now .

Tranent Hibby
18-12-2009, 09:39 PM
My old friend Neil McKillop (R.I.P) once told me a hibs bus used to leave from the Key's ..a tic fan (but a decent one) said there was a good number of hibbies used to leave from that boozer ..

Neil was a wonderful bloke and a big influence on us Northern Soul boys from Tranent. He did his best to turn the Keys into a Celtic pub when he had it but knew we were too set to move. Was a great bloke who let the Bouncy Bouncy happen in his boozer.

Tranent Hibby
18-12-2009, 09:41 PM
do you remember Liam Ward? he was a "keys" man ,worked with me doon the pit. was a great wee Hibby,but dont know if he travelled on the bus. used to meet him at ER though. sadly passed away,by all accounts too much swally never helped:boo hoo:would have been well into his 60's now .

I do mate from what I recall he didnt travel much but would welcome the troops back from the game with a rousing GLORY GLORY.

Tranent Hibby
18-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Now this is a vague (drink) memory from the early eighties. Cross Keys on a Sat with the Celtic v Hibees called off a hastly rearranged friendly at ER as we had undersoil and we turned them over 6-3 full teams playing. Benny scored a hat trick the third was a pen into the coo-shed.

The Keys was bouncing that night and the Celtic boys had no answer.

monktonharp
18-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I do mate from what I recall he didnt travel much but would welcome the troops back from the game with a rousing GLORY GLORY.thanks for that. good memories of the wee man,work and Hibiness:wink:

MSK
18-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Neil was a wonderful bloke and a big influence on us Northern Soul boys from Tranent. He did his best to turn the Keys into a Celtic pub when he had it but knew we were too set to move. Was a great bloke who let the Bouncy Bouncy happen in his boozer.I met Neil when i delivered beer to the Key's, great guy & always had time to blether about hibs..celtic & golf..worked his ass of trying to make the pub "his own" but always had obstacles in his way ..ie adding sound proofing etc at a healthy cost ....bevvied wi him at a race night at the P.O club in Lochend a month before his tragic sudden death..

Dont mean to turn this thread into a tribute to Neil but many if not all my good times in Tranent were spent yapping to him aboot football ..more than i can say about my other mucker Tam "the yam" Tiffney fi the Brigg !!!!! :grr: ...:greengrin

crewetollhibee
18-12-2009, 10:36 PM
So CrewtollHibee, who are you then?
I was in the same year as big Tyson, Jock McBride, Dougie Gray, Jock & Jamie Thomson who all went on the Keys/Tranent bust, (and Neil McKillop). I really cant remember any Jambos at Ross High , or have I just managed to rid these from my memory.
Russell Watson. Ring any bells ?

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, Russell, I remember you, probably in some classes together.

Craig Burnett, from Macmerry nicknamed Foxy at school.

Cheers

crewetollhibee
18-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Cheers
We were indeed mate. First year IIRC . Best wishes, good time to be a Hibby. Then and now, of course. :thumbsup:

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I remember the Keys bus going down to Prestonpans to pick up a couple of guys. One was nicknamed Beastie, cant remember his mate, but they always seemed to be, eh, let me say well on, and usually there was a bit of inter-bus bother. But then we did have Dave McGovern, Breeks & Korky on our side. It was pretty mental, but a great laugh.

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 10:51 PM
We were indeed mate. First year IIRC . Best wishes, good time to be a Hibby. Then and now, of course.

Russell good to hear that you are keeping the faith with HFC. Sometimes I think of it as a life sentence, but when you start talking about all the great memories that HFC have given us, then it makes it all worthwhile. E.g I went to the 0-7 game on 1st Jan 1973 with the Tranent bus from the Cross Keys. Nobody can ever take that away.

All the best.

crewetollhibee
18-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I remember the Keys bus going down to Prestonpans to pick up a couple of guys. One was nicknamed Beastie, cant remember his mate, but they always seemed to be, eh, let me say well on, and usually there was a bit of inter-bus bother. But then we did have Dave McGovern, Breeks & Korky on our side. It was pretty mental, but a great laugh.
I remember bumping to the three musketeers from Macmerry (Bob Carr and his 2 mates, one was about 6ft 6) at Preston railway station in about 1991. They had given up on Hibs for a while and had season tickets for the Kop . They also went to all Liverpool's away games as far as Notts Forest, as that was their limit for getting a train back that night !! Have to go for now, Craig. GGTTH.

hibee92
18-12-2009, 11:30 PM
My old friend Neil McKillop (R.I.P) once told me a hibs bus used to leave from the Key's ..a tic fan (but a decent one) said there was a good number of hibbies used to leave from that boozer ..

great mates with his laddie, another tic as it goes but a decent one :wink:

been going on the tranent bus for a good 6-7 years now, only 17 mind you :greengrin

Boris
19-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Not sure if its the same bus you're all posting about but when I was helping to run the Musselburgh bus in the mid to late 70's we had close ties with the Tranent bus - they'd invite our committee to their do'd & vice-versa. The "smokers" the Tranent bus ran - in the Macmerry Miners Club if I remember rightly - were legendary & rightly so! Fantastic nights!!! Great memories but I'm no as young as I used to be & I canni remember the names of the committee boys now. :greengrin

Rasta_Hibs
19-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Being a Tranent Hibee born and bred i can mind of the Keys bus. Sadly now the Key's is now shut down and i doubt it will ever re-open in these times.

Total shame! There will never be another pub like the Keys in Tranent. I went to most of the hampden trips under McCleish on it.

I think both Hibs & Hearts busses leave from the Brig now, the brig being another really good pub these days.

Its always good to go to after the game where plenty of Hibees on one side of the bar and Jambos on the other with good banter. WHen the derby is on in the pub the atmosphere is great with no trouble and lots of banter between the Hibs and Hearts fans.

Now when the Celtic v Rangers game is on now thats another story, always nothing but trouble in the town especially further up the street! Yi dont get trouble much in the brig its a good boozer!

Brooster
19-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Cheers

Hows it going Foxy? Stevie Clark here mate. Being a bit younger than you I was never on the old Tranent bus but I was involved in the creation of the the current version in 1991 - East Lothian Hibs Supporters Club. Myself and Sccoopyboy (Jock) run the bus between us but couldn't do so without the back up of Adam Gray and Brian Scott. We take buses to all home games and selected away games, the reason for selective away games is that it is just so bl00dy expensive for coach hire these days. We pay the best part of £300 just to go to Easter Road and back! Killie last week cost us just under £500, we had 49 folk on the bus last week and after a few pints at the Fenwick Hotel on the way back we piled into Jocks garden to sing happy birthday as you know - brilliant.

You will know the hardcore of boys no doubt, in fact you will probably know the mums and dads of most of the young boys. You are more than welcome to travel away with us mate........I'll keep a seat beside Donaldson for you!

Monktonhall 7
19-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Stevie, cheers mate, never knew you as Brooster. Put 2 and 2 together and got that Jock was Scoopy, but thought that Jocks post last week was brilliant. Well done East Lothian Hibees.

Met Donaldson at the Hospitality at the Motherwell game. He was an original on the old Keys bus that became Tranent Hibs, way back late 60s early 70s. From where I sit in West stand Lower, we usually hear Donaldson from 50 yards away. Please dont move any closer!

The point of starting this thread was to identify the guys that started going on that bus all those years ago, and its amazing how many of us still go, and are mainly season ticket holders. Bill Poon returned last year, and joins me behind the goals for a pre-match beverage, and his son Gregg is now a regular home and away, and I think on your bus last Saturday.

Catch up soon mate. GGTTH

WHAM
19-12-2009, 10:50 AM
started going on the bus from the keys when I was a wee laddie early 90s. Then was a regular week in week out until I moved through here around 5 years ago. Don't get on the bus as much as I would like now but still enjoy the banter with uncle scoop and stevie etc when I can! haha

Ma old man is from Tranent and he and my uncle (Adam Gray and Dougie Gray) got the 70s bus from the keys. Some good stories from that era! Think the keys also hosted the legendary post SKOL cup win celebrations that I've heard a lot about...sounded like a mad nite!

ps. I'm Adam too :cool2:

Monktonhall 7
19-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Just had a terrible thought that the East Lothian HFC supporters bus has Kenny Franchitti and Kenny Donaldson as members. Do you issue ear protectors to the rest of the punters?

Brooster
19-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Just had a terrible thought that the East Lothian HFC supporters bus has Kenny Franchitti and Kenny Donaldson as members. Do you issue ear protectors to the rest of the punters?

Believe it or not they are not the loudest!! Step forward Charlie the fishman from Port Seton for that accolade.

surreyhibbie
19-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Not sure if its the same bus you're all posting about but when I was helping to run the Musselburgh bus in the mid to late 70's we had close ties with the Tranent bus - they'd invite our committee to their do'd & vice-versa. The "smokers" the Tranent bus ran - in the Macmerry Miners Club if I remember rightly - were legendary & rightly so! Fantastic nights!!! Great memories but I'm no as young as I used to be & I canni remember the names of the committee boys now. :greengrin

I was a regular on that bus masel'. There was a particularly big guy who we nicknamed Boris as he sometimes wore a Russian hat.... no you is it?

panshibby
19-12-2009, 11:47 AM

I was on that bus as well, Jim Gray his son James and Me & My Dad as well. Im John Kelly. Tam was/is my dad

fatbloke
19-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry chaps but for the last almost 40 years I have refused to travel on buses such as those that were run in East Lothian. Some of those characters from Port Seton, Pans Tranent, Mussie etc are quite loud and scary. I am a sensitive wee soul who would not say boo to a goose so I am afraid these trips were/are out for me. Being a model citizen and ardent church goer I also like to keep my mind clear for the Sunday. some of the behaviour I have heard about which I could not possibly go into on a family forum make me blush.:wink:

Tranent Hibby
19-12-2009, 04:34 PM
started going on the bus from the keys when I was a wee laddie early 90s. Then was a regular week in week out until I moved through here around 5 years ago. Don't get on the bus as much as I would like now but still enjoy the banter with uncle scoop and stevie etc when I can! haha

Ma old man is from Tranent and he and my uncle (Adam Gray and Dougie Gray) got the 70s bus from the keys. Some good stories from that era! Think the keys also hosted the legendary post SKOL cup win celebrations that I've heard a lot about...sounded like a mad nite!

ps. I'm Adam too :cool2:

Adam Skol Cup night was one of the wildest I have been involved in. Not a Yam in sight wall to wall Hibbys with the keys bouncing. I also recall a crew went over and noised up all the Huns in the keepers that night which didnt go down well. Hibby Days

Monktonhall 7
20-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Adam Skol Cup night was one of the wildest I have been involved in. Not a Yam in sight wall to wall Hibbys with the keys bouncing. I also recall a crew went over and noised up all the Huns in the keepers that night which didnt go down well. Hibby Days

Even though I stopped travelling in the bus early 80s, I was on the Skol Cup final bus from Macmerry. No tickets at that game, and remember panicking that we might not get in. Highlight of the day, apart from winning, was seeing Jock Henderson walking along the Hampden track behind the pipe band!

For some reason I ended up in Ormiston that night with Breeks, Clerky et al. Not handy when I lived in Easter Road, but an unbelievable day & night.

ski1875
20-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Really nice to read this. im John Reynolds grandson and have been reading through this with my mum (Karen ) who also recalls all the names. its great to hear the stories from people about my grandad running that bus, which im on every week now run by jock and stevie. Shame i never got to go to the football with him as i wis only 2 when he passed away. rally the troops lads the east lothians supporters club loves fresh faces aswell as all the guys from the past !!

ggtth
ps cheers josh for tht post u beat me to stickin the name in :notworthy:

.Sean.
20-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Rarely on the EL bus for home games but always travel on it for the away matches. Tremendously well run bus, where all newcomers made to feel extremely welcome.

Also met some fantastic mates through the bus, step forward HibeeMcGinn1 and Ski1875 :cool2:

East Lothian Hibs Supporters Club- :top marks TIckaboo boys!

:notworthy:

Brooster
20-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Even though I stopped travelling in the bus early 80s, I was on the Skol Cup final bus from Macmerry. No tickets at that game, and remember panicking that we might not get in. Highlight of the day, apart from winning, was seeing Jock Henderson walking along the Hampden track behind the pipe band!
For some reason I ended up in Ormiston that night with Breeks, Clerky et al. Not handy when I lived in Easter Road, but an unbelievable day & night.

That was me! Due to the crushing and crowds outside I couldn't get in. I then tried to get in the Dunfermline end without success then I went round to the main stand which was also full which meant Hibs were playing a cup final and I was stuck outside Hampden Park. The next thing I notice is the pipe band in full regalia at the side entrance waiting to go in to play at half time - I tucked myself in the middle of the pipe band and calmly walked round the back of the goals with them and once beyond the corner flag I jumped the fence and in beside the Hibs fans - narrowly avoiding the law feeling my collar!! The rest is history as Hibs lifted the cup. Also history is the fact I left my wife and sister stranded outside Hampden as I went undercover with the pipeband.

Brooster
20-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Rarely on the EL bus for home games but always travel on it for the away matches. Tremendously well run bus, where all newcomers made to feel extremely welcome.

Also met some fantastic mates through the bus, step forward HibeeMcGinn1 and Ski1875 :cool2:

East Lothian Hibs Supporters Club- :top marks TIckaboo boys!

:notworthy:

Are you the geezer who was wearing the grey fake Lyle and Scott jumper at Killie?

.Sean.
20-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Are you the geezer who was wearing the grey fake Lyle and Scott jumper at Killie?

:confused:

But aye.

Brooster
20-12-2009, 01:35 PM
:confused:

But aye.

Only joking mate. Now I can put a face to the cyber persona.

.Sean.
20-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Nae worries man.

Chances of a Brig Bus to St Johnstone?

Brooster
20-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Nae worries man.

Chances of a Brig Bus to St Johnstone?

I will look into it tomoro my man.

Monktonhall 7
20-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Really nice to read this. im John Reynolds grandson and have been reading through this with my mum (Karen ) who also recalls all the names. its great to hear the stories from people about my grandad running that bus, which im on every week now run by jock and stevie. Shame i never got to go to the football with him as i wis only 2 when he passed away. rally the troops lads the east lothians supporters club loves fresh faces aswell as all the guys from the past !!

Ski1875, good to hear that you have followed in your Grandfathers footsteps. I know that this has only been relevant to people down the coast, but its brought about some great stories and memories. Say hello to your mum for me. IIRC I used to sit next to her in Geordie Nisbets maths class.

Kojock
20-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Jock McBride here, youngest son of Jackie.

Recognise all of the names mentioned, still go to all the games with my older bro, Gil and our respective sons.

Spent many an hour in the Cross Keys especially when it was run by Dot and Ian Campbell.

Was at school as well with Karen and grew up just round the corner from her.

Still best mates with big Tyson who now stays in Nottingham but is coming up for the new year and is going to the Hertz game.

Remember we would club together and buy a bottle of vodka and a 2l bottle of Coke from the shop beside the Keys. Pour out most of the coke and fill it with the vodka, this as well as a half dozen cans of lager would be scouped on the way to the away games. No wonder I cant remember much about the games in the 80s.

Great times had by all. GGTTH

Monktonhall 7
20-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Jock, good to here from you. Last year when travelling back from a meeting in Leeds, I was sitting beside my workmate, (yam), arguing about Hibs and the Lithuanians, and got a tap on my shoulder from a big bald guy, saying "is that you Fox". I did not recognise him instantly but got the voice of big Tyson. We blethered about HFC all the way up to Edinburgh, much to the annoyance of the other passengers cause we were in the supposed quiet zone. Bring him into Behind the goals at the Derby for a beer and catch up.

Cheers

Boris
20-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I was a regular on that bus masel'. There was a particularly big guy who we nicknamed Boris as he sometimes wore a Russian hat.... no you is it?

Think that was maybe a lad called George Bontrone. I do carry a fair bit of cargo but never wore a russian hat in those days. Nickname came a lot later.

Niffy
20-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Had a hand in the late 80's early 90's setting up of EL HSC an aw, but by the time we left Dunbar and went aw roond East Lothian picking up , it was like driving in the car to Aberdeen every week and soon... started taking car instead.

Top Pans Hibby
20-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I remember the Tranent Hibs Supporters club very well. I used to go to the games with my dad from the early 70's. The bus used to come down to Prestonpans from Tranent and pick up a group of guys at "The Shrine" in the Top Pans. The bus dropped us off at the old Sunblest factory !!

I remember (vaguely) when the Tranent Hibs supporters club organised a party in 1975 to celebrate the Hibs centenary. I remember getting a copy of the "100 years of Hibs" book and a Hibs scarf (still about somewhere). I think the party was held in St. Martin's church hall and the 7-0 game was shown on a projector. The kids Xmas parties at Tranent Miners were legendary.

My best memories of the club relate to our season just after relegation in 1979/80 ish. A group of us from Preston Lodge school at the time hardly missed a game as we travelled all over the Country on the Tranent bus. Obviously we won the league and promotion that year.

I don't go to the games as often as I used to, but when I do go up to Easter Road, it is still amazing to see old faces from the bus even now.

Great times, great supporters club.

:thumbsup:

scoopyboy
20-12-2009, 07:46 PM

ggtth
ps cheers josh for tht post u beat me to stickin the name in :notworthy:

I started going on the bus around 1970 when the bus was run mainly by John Smith and your grandad. Others that I can remember on the committee were Jackie McBride, Pete Murray and Ian Mackay (Uncle Sooty).

The bus used to leave Dunsmuirs garage in Ormiston and go to Macmerry first and could often be half full before it got to the Keys. A mental driver by the name of Charlie Arpino used to please the young punters with his daredevil tactics especially going to away matches. I later discovered he was a really good bowler.

If we ever passed the team bus we would get him to slow down so they could overtake us and then get him to speed back up to overtake them. This could happen up to ten times, the players used to find it amusing.

The big trip was to Aberdeen but we never got treated as well as we treat the young punters these days. The men used to hit the pubs after the game and the bus would leave at shutting time, in those days laddies weren't allowed in the boozers so we had to amuse ourselves for hours waiting on them getting tanked up.

My favourite domestic game was away to Motherwell in a Scottish Cup tie around 1976, there were over 70 people on the 49 seater bus. The game itself was a 2-2 draw and Fir Park was bursting at the seams.

As posted earlier the kids got Crimbo parties and a pressie each year. I still have my scarf with the green and white diagonal bands with badges sewn on as well as lapel badges, and the 100 years of Hibs book that we got obviously in our centenary year. It was whilst helping the magician at the Legion that Uncle Sooty was born.

When we graduated to drinking age the smokers were different class. 10 drink tickets, a supper, cigars, strippers and blue comedians all for 50p. The committee men used to sneak us extra tickets.

Venues were Macmerry MW, Tranent MW and the Pittencrieff. For younger viewers the Pittencrieff was a hotel on the racecourse and the owner used to go to the games with us (no bypass in em days).

I used to work beside your mum in the summer hols picking gooseberries at Elvingston estate at Gladsmuir.

fatbloke
21-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I started going on the bus around 1970 when the bus was run mainly by John Smith and your grandad. Others that I can remember on the committee were Jackie McBride, Pete Murray and Ian Mackay (Uncle Sooty).

The bus used to leave Dunsmuirs garage in Ormiston and go to Macmerry first and could often be half full before it got to the Keys. A mental driver by the name of Charlie Arpino used to please the young punters with his daredevil tactics especially going to away matches. I later discovered he was a really good bowler.

If we ever passed the team bus we would get him to slow down so they could overtake us and then get him to speed back up to overtake them. This could happen up to ten times, the players used to find it amusing.

The big trip was to Aberdeen but we never got treated as well as we treat the young punters these days. The men used to hit the pubs after the game and the bus would leave at shutting time, in those days laddies weren't allowed in the boozers so we had to amuse ourselves for hours waiting on them getting tanked up.

My favourite domestic game was away to Motherwell in a Scottish Cup tie around 1976, there were over 70 people on the 49 seater bus. The game itself was a 2-2 draw and Fir Park was bursting at the seams.

As posted earlier the kids got Crimbo parties and a pressie each year. I still have my scarf with the green and white diagonal bands with badges sewn on as well as lapel badges, and the 100 years of Hibs book that we got obviously in our centenary year. It was whilst helping the magician at the Legion that Uncle Sooty was born.

When we graduated to drinking age the smokers were different class. 10 drink tickets, a supper, cigars, strippers and blue comedians all for 50p. The committee men used to sneak us extra tickets.

Venues were Macmerry MW, Tranent MW and the Pittencrieff. For younger viewers the Pittencrieff was a hotel on the racecourse and the owner used to go to the games with us (no bypass in em days).

I used to work beside your mum in the summer hols picking gooseberries at Elvingston estate at Gladsmuir.

Talkin o pressies will I bring this zimmer I've got my hands on for you on Sunday.

It's the thought that counts