PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wenger's comments

CapitalHibs
18-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Interesting...

Wenger said: "People don't realise there is no money in football, in Europe and in general. We live in dreamland in football. If you look at the number of clubs who struggle in the Premier League and in the Championship in England then it's time for us to get a wake-up call.

"In England, in football, the financial situation overall is very poor. So do not expect a very busy transfer market.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/12/18/SOCCER_Arsenal_Nightlead.html

iwasthere1972
18-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Interesting...

Wenger said: "People don't realise there is no money in football, in Europe and in general. We live in dreamland in football. If you look at the number of clubs who struggle in the Premier League and in the Championship in England then it's time for us to get a wake-up call.

"In England, in football, the financial situation overall is very poor. So do not expect a very busy transfer market.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/12/18/SOCCER_Arsenal_Nightlead.html

Bit rich (and I mean RICH) for someone who signed a 3 year deal in 2007 for a reported £12 million. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2320646/Arsene-Wenger-signs-12m-Arsenal-deal.html

duncs
18-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Bit rich (and I mean RICH) for someone who signed a 3 year deal in 2007 for a reported £12 million. :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2320646/Arsene-Wenger-signs-12m-Arsenal-deal.html

Well not really. Arsenal are one of the few clubs that haven't spent big to get success. Whilst their finances aren't the best in the Premiership, they are one of the most stable. I don't think he was talking about players and managers getting rich, but clubs buying players and paying them wages that they have no idea how it's going to be paid for. For instance, Liverpool base their financial income on playing Champions League football, so theoretically they have to finish 4th this season to keep their books on an even keel. If not, they could become another Leeds.

I think Wenger is absolutely spot on. And frankly, compared to a lot of other wages being paid in the EPL, Wenger and what he's done at Arsenal is a relative bargain at £4 million a year.

HibbyAndy
18-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Well not really. Arsenal are one of the few clubs that haven't spent big to get success. Whilst their finances aren't the best in the Premiership, they are one of the most stable. I don't think he was talking about players and managers getting rich, but clubs buying players and paying them wages that they have no idea how it's going to be paid for. For instance, Liverpool base their financial income on playing Champions League football, so theoretically they have to finish 4th this season to keep their books on an even keel. If not, they could become another Leeds.

I think Wenger is absolutely spot on. And frankly, compared to a lot of other wages being paid in the EPL, Wenger and what he's done at Arsenal is a relative bargain at £4 million a year.

Tend to agree with all of that.

iwasthere1972
18-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Tend to agree with all of that.

I knew it wouldn't be long. :greengrin

VegasHibby
18-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Wenger certainly is worth his weight in gold though I thought the statement he made was quite silly. Players are getting very wealthy for 90 mins of a game most of us would play for free.
Was curious to what Martin O'neil at Villa is getting payed. He's performed miracles with his budget. And Birmingham up at 8th, Mcleish must be on a good bonus. Any idea how much these 2 are getting paid ?

HibbyAndy
18-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long. :greengrin

You ken me to well R :thumbsup: