PDA

View Full Version : Will Saturday's Game Be On?

Elephant Stone
18-12-2009, 01:32 PM
BBC forecast predicting snow and heavy snow throughout Saturday up there. I was going to get tickets today but i'm a tad worried about the weather. How likely do you think it will be that the game will be played? Then there's the roads, would heavy snow affect travel up there? I plan on getting a coach :confused:

Dalkeith
18-12-2009, 01:38 PM
weather looks not too bad at moment
http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/...,10284,00.html (http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/redcam/0,,10284,00.html)

(click on picture to get latest image)

Frazerbob
18-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Currently very cold up here in the land of sheep. Just been out to the shops and my car said it was -4!! Looking out the window now and it is snowing fairly heavily. If it stays like this the game could well be in doubt.

I'll try to post updates through the day/night.

Frazerbob
18-12-2009, 01:42 PM
BBC forecast predicting snow and heavy snow throughout Saturday up there. I was going to get tickets today but i'm a tad worried about the weather. How likely do you think it will be that the game will be played? Then there's the roads, would heavy snow affect travel up there? I plan on getting a coach :confused:

You can buy tickets at the turnstyle so don't bother getting tickets today. As mentioned above, game may well be in doubt if the weather doesn't improve IMO.

Jamesie
18-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Hearing the snow is getting pretty heavy in Aberdeen. We're still 22 hours away from kick off, but what's the view on the ground in Dandyland on the game going ahead?

RoYO!
18-12-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/redcam/0,,10284,00.html :grr:

doesnt look good...

Hibs90
18-12-2009, 06:50 PM
http://backoffice.afc.co.uk/redweb/redcam/redcam.cfm

Doesn't look very good at the moment.

Lofarl
18-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Dirty sheep. Can they no even cover the grass:grr::grr::grr:. If this gets cancelled it keeps the pressure of whingy mcghee for another week.

lyonhibs
18-12-2009, 06:54 PM
If that keeps up and Aberdeen don't get the undersoil heating on and the groundstaff in early Sat morning, I think its safe to say the game will be getting called off.

whereswallace?
18-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Surely if that pitch is called off, the sheep should be held accountable for not having covers on over night! Id imagine there will be a very early pitch inspection as some of us will be heading up there early doors.

PISTOL1875
18-12-2009, 07:06 PM
They will need to inspect the pitch ASAP for the team and fans travelling up..

Sir David Gray
18-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I would advise those who are planning to go to the game to give Pittodrie a phone at 9am.

That's certainly what I'll be doing as I don't fancy making a 2 and a half hour journey for nothing.

brog
18-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Forecast is only for some sleet tonight & temps of +4 tomorrow. If Aberdeen have blanket on should not be a problem but given they're missing about 6 players - - - !!

Jim44
18-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Aberdeen will do their best to have the game postponed as they have only a squad of 18 to choose from according to the geetin' faced git who manages them.

forthhibby
18-12-2009, 07:41 PM

can still easily see the touchline :thumbsup:

Irish_Steve
18-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Not like Aberdonians to leave the lights on thus wasting energy and money!

Lmc2105
18-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Aberdeen will do their best to have the game postponed as they have only a squad of 18 to choose from according to the geetin' faced git who manages them.

if this is the case i would hope that if the game is called off hibs would ask for an investigation as this isnt very fair!

by the pictures the grass still looks visable and am sure or hope the aberdeen ground staff do have the heating on! ... but it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the game is called off

Nakedmanoncrack
18-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Doubt if there will be a problem, looks no more than a dusting and overnight forecast isn't bad.

hibbytam
18-12-2009, 07:53 PM
It's not that bad up here. The only threat I can see to the game is to fans/the team/refs travelling up. Its not even as cold as it has been. Unless it gets worse.

Sir David Gray
18-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Forecast is only for some sleet tonight & temps of +4 tomorrow. If Aberdeen have blanket on should not be a problem but given they're missing about 6 players - - - !!

That's the day's general summary on the BBC website. If you look into tomorrow's forecast in a bit more detail, it says that there will be snow showers from about 9 o'clock, with the snow becoming heavier around midday.

It might be the case that the pitch is playable (due to the undersoil heating) but that the roads around Pittodrie are too dangerous for fans and the police end up calling the game off for those reasons.

Also, the snow is due to move south later in the afternoon so even if the game does go ahead, returning home afterwards may be a problem.

Frazerbob
18-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Aberdeen city centre is currently completely white. Good couple of inches. Outskirts are even worse although not sure what it's like down by the beach. If the snow carries on as it is the game will be off. Travel alone will be a nightmare.

Frazerbob
18-12-2009, 08:01 PM
It's not that bad up here. The only threat I can see to the game is to fans/the team/refs travelling up. Its not even as cold as it has been. Unless it gets worse.

I'm looking out my office window and Windmill Brae is completely white with snow still falling. Where are you?

johnrebus
18-12-2009, 08:18 PM
If they can't afford a toaster, then there's not much chance of them plugging in the electric blanket .........,

:wink:

RoYO!
18-12-2009, 08:20 PM
seems from the pics that they have the undersoil on and its working fine, so here's hoping

caithnesshibee
18-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Damn it. We are supposed to be leaving Caithness at 7;30am. Could be a wasted journey. There will be no way off finding out either. Just going to have to take the chance.:grr:

iwasthere1972
18-12-2009, 08:30 PM
can still easily see the touchline :thumbsup:

Just had another look and by jove I believe it's thawing. :greengrin

Mikey
18-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Forecast for tomorrow is snow for much of the day......

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/gr/aberdeen_forecast_weather.html

Vini1875
18-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Brilliant, we leave at 8.40 am from Glasgow. I'm sure it will be on otherwise it's a long way to go for a pint.

iwasthere1972
18-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Forecast for tomorrow is snow for much of the day......

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/gr/aberdeen_forecast_weather.html

Factor in the 25mph winds and to say that it will be parky is an understatement.

hibbytam
18-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm looking out my office window and Windmill Brae is completely white with snow still falling. Where are you?

up by the Sainsburys at Berryden.

Its fairly white and stuff, but nothing that should endanger a SPL game, unless it gets worse overnight.

And it's stopped snowing for now.

Frazerbob
18-12-2009, 08:51 PM
up by the Sainsburys at Berryden.

Its fairly white and stuff, but nothing that should endanger a SPL game, unless it gets worse overnight.

And it's stopped snowing for now.

The rain seems to be on now and washing away the snow. Might have a waterlogged pitch now :wink:

copycat
18-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Hearing the snow is getting pretty heavy in Aberdeen. We're still 22 hours away from kick off, but what's the view on the ground in Dandyland on the game going ahead?

Pitch will be fine but major issue for any game at Aberdeen being called off will always be the safety of the fans travelling, I'm guessing that may be the major issue.

Franck is God
18-12-2009, 09:42 PM
my mate called me from the Aberdeen area earlier to let me know it was snowing pretty heavily and was very cold.

The game itself might be able to go ahead but getting there will be a bit hairy.

Billychaotic182
18-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Its stopped now and the roads are clear if that helps. But it is only 21:45

Sir David Gray
18-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think tonight should be a concern for anyone, I don't think there's any snow forecast in Scotland for the rest of today. The only real concern is ice as the temperatures are set to be pretty low to say the least.

However there is heavy snow forecast for tomorrow, starting in the north of Scotland and gradually making its way southwards, throughout the course of the day.

I've already said this on another thread tonight but I would strongly suggest, if you are going to the game tomorrow, that you phone Aberdeen themselves, before you head off, to see what the likelihood is of the game going ahead.

oconnors_strip
18-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Damn it. We are supposed to be leaving Caithness at 7;30am. Could be a wasted journey. There will be no way off finding out either. Just going to have to take the chance.:grr:

phone aberdeen themselves at 9am 01224 650400

Sir David Gray
18-12-2009, 11:33 PM
phone aberdeen themselves at 9am 01224 650400

That won't really be much use to him though, since he'll be an hour and a half into his journey by then. :wink:

ArabHibee
18-12-2009, 11:39 PM
That won't really be much use to him though, since he'll be an hour and a half into his journey by then. :wink:

Aye, but if it is called off then he can about turn and not waste his time travelling to Aberdeen, surely?

Sir David Gray
18-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Aye, but if it is called off then he can about turn and not waste his time travelling to Aberdeen, surely?

Maybe, although he says he's going on the train so it might not be so easy.

ArabHibee
19-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe, although he says he's going on the train so it might not be so easy.

Did he?

lucky
19-12-2009, 12:17 AM
If the game is off it let's the players rest up before 3 games in a week and keeps the run going into the huns game.

caithnesshibee
19-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Did he?

No, car journey for us. Going to ring AFC when we get to Inverness to see whats happening (if we get to Inverness)

iwasthere1972
19-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Not like Aberdonians to leave the lights on thus wasting energy and money!

It's nearly 2am and the lights are still on. Don't know if it tiredness beginning to tell but I'm pretty sure I saw 3 old gits (one short and baldy) running on the pitch with a fitba in hand. :grr:

On a serious note why do they keep the lights on all night when they are meant to be skint?

Landells
19-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Doesnt look too bad at the moment

nonshinyfinish
19-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Looks alright now. :agree:

Of course, if it starts *****ting it down with snow again...

Landells
19-12-2009, 07:02 AM
I think it is meant to snow heavy today

Landells
19-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Forecast for Aberdeen...

Click Here (http://www.accuweather.com/world-index-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&loccode=EUR|UK|UK601|ABERDEEN)

Typical 3PM snow starts

nonshinyfinish
19-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Sleet and light snow early in the afternoon according to the Beeb. If that's right then it should be fine.

stokesmessiah
19-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Its 8 am and i can confirm no snowfall over night.....its pretty cold but at least not snowed any.

hope this helps anyone making the journey.

P.s. lets get it right up those dons the day.

oconnors_strip
19-12-2009, 08:10 AM
weather is meant to get bad this afternoon, so it looks like us hibees will be partying in aberdeen tonight:greengrin

brog
19-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Pitch will be fine but major issue for any game at Aberdeen being called off will always be the safety of the fans travelling, I'm guessing that may be the major issue.

I think the police use that as an excuse at times. I've never once heard of them shutting the shops to prevent people travelling! This time of year there will be more people from outside the city going in for Xmas shopping than travelling to Pittodrie.

Sir David Gray
19-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Did he?

No, sorry about that.

I could have sworn that he had said that he was going by train but I have absolutely no idea why I would have thought that.

I'm blaming it on a combination of severe tiredness last night and the time of year.

That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. :greengrin