PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing about christmas / undersoil heating games (merged)

aidzo
16-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Christmas Eve, 1976, Hibs v Ayr United. It was a Friday night, there was a full card of Premier League fixtures planned for Christmas Day but no one played on the 25th. We won 1-0 but who scored?

Killiehibbie
16-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Christmas Eve, 1976, Hibs v Ayr United. It was a Friday night, there was a full card of Premier League fixtures planned for Christmas Day but no one played on the 25th. We won 1-0 but who scored?

Less than 4000 there but my book doesn't say who scored.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Less than 4000 there but my book doesn't say who scored.

I was one of those 4000, although i have no idea who scored?

Bobo
16-12-2009, 09:21 PM

It was a Joe Fillippi own goal that won the match. :agree:

aidzo
16-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks! It's all coming back to me now. And to think I missed the Howard's Way Xmas special on TV or somesuch bilge for that. You'll be rewarded with a namecheck in a national newspaper!

johnrebus
16-12-2009, 10:09 PM
It was a Joe Fillippi own goal that won the match. :agree:

I thought it was Graham Fyfe that scored the goal that night ?

Once described as ' the new Cruyff ' whilst at Hunbrox......,

:rolleyes:

The Harp
16-12-2009, 10:19 PM

As if having one ex Hun at the time wasn't bad enough, we had to have TWO. Ally Scott!!! :bitchy:
I was at at the game too, but the memory's no' what it used to be. If I manage to get into my attic in the next day or two I'll check my programme collection - should be able to find out for sure, unless Bobo is sure it was Fillippi.

Bobo
16-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Aye Fyfe certainly showed Cruyff-like skill while at Easter Road.... not :bitchy:

Just checked a programme from one of the matches after the Ayr game and it confirms Fillippi as scoring the O.G.

Hiber-nation
16-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Aye Fyfe certainly showed Cruyff-like skill while at Easter Road.... not :bitchy:

Just checked a programme from one of the matches after the Ayr game and it confirms Fillippi as scoring the O.G.

I was there....alone! My mates deserted the cause for the comfort of the boozer.

My programme says Fillipi o.g and a crowd of 3,500.

Rougier45
17-12-2009, 04:32 AM
one of my first ever games -certainly first evening kick off for me-7 yr old just remember darkness /cold and crap crowd

tbfhibs
17-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Remember playing Man Utd because we had undersoil heating. Where there any other games we had at ER.

Aubenas
17-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I may be dreaming, and I wasn't at the game, but a 5-0 win over Celtc with Benny Brazil netting a hat trick in a poor weather friendly???:confused:

FifeHibby
17-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I may be dreaming, and I wasn't at the game, but a 5-0 win over Celtc with Benny Brazil netting a hat trick in a poor weather friendly???:confused:

It was a 6-3 victory with Benny getting a hat-trick

Kato
17-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Celtic. We beat them 6-3.

Sir Benrod of Brazil scored an uncannily beautiful hat-trick of goals - the last of which was a 30 yard screecher. His face was so red at playing a stormer that it melted most of the snow. Roy Aitken was raging at the end of that game, which happened around the same time we beat 4-3 in the SC and beat them on pens after a 4-4 draw. Goals galore between the two teams for about a season and a half.

Baader
17-12-2009, 02:33 PM
The legendary Brazil hat-trick! Might be mistaken but think that game may have been on Christmas Eve. Was very young though...

Peevemor
17-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Remember playing Man Utd because we had undersoil heating. Where there any other games we had at ER.

Moscow Dynamo on a Friday night and also the famous Benny hat trick match against celtc was organised on the same basis.

Peevemor
17-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Celtic. We beat them 6-3.

Sir Benrod of Brazil scored an uncannily beautiful hat-trick of goals - the last of which was a 30 yard screecher. His face was so red at playing a stormer that it melted most of the snow. Roy Aitken was raging at the end of that game, which happened around the same time we beat 4-3 in the SC and beat them on pens after a 4-4 draw. Goals galore between the two teams for about a season and a half.

Was it not a penalty?

jodjam
17-12-2009, 02:38 PM
i was at the Benny hat-trick game also and remember it being a penalty but my memory may be playing tricks on me

bingo70
17-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Was it not a penalty?

Probably depends if he's telling the story or not :wink:

Kato
17-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Was it not a penalty?

Could have been mate, remember one of them was, unlike Benny, a corker.

Phil MaGlass
17-12-2009, 03:01 PM
There was another game with him playing I think he scored and also rapped the bar with a corker of a shot, the whole stadium couldnae believe it was the same Benny,he fairly entertained us,especially when he jumped and caught the ball v D.Utd.

Luna Landing
17-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I remember going to a game in the early 80's versus Celtic which was arranged as a friendly because Celtics park was frozen . The game was notable for the fact that |Benny Brazil scored a hat trick ( its absolutely true - I was there ) and Hibs won 6-3.

tbfhibs
17-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Cheers for the replies. Sure Man U was 1-1 with about 12,000.

gringojoe
17-12-2009, 03:08 PM

1-1 Ralph Callachan scored for us, down the slope, against more or less a full strength Man Utd team before the jammy bass@s equalised.

aidzo
17-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Another Christmas, er, cracker. Who remembers this game from the early 80s I think - a hastily arranged friendly, made possible by visionary Hibs' undersoil heating while rest of country froze?

aidzo
17-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Obviously that friendly mentioned earlier was Hibs v Man U ...

Phil D. Rolls
17-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Another Christmas, er, cracker. Who remembers this game from the early 80s I think - a hastily arranged friendly, made possible by visionary Hibs' undersoil heating while rest of country froze?

Willie Jamieson scored for Hibs. I remember Big Ron hooking his new star Bryan Robson after about 20 minutes due to the treatment he was receiving from Erich Schaedler. Was it Frank Stapleton who scored for Man U? Other players I remember in their team are Sammy McIlroy and Remi Moses - was Gary Birtles still there?

Sprouleflyer
17-12-2009, 03:15 PM
1-1 Ralph Callachan scored for us, down the slope, against more or less a full strength Man Utd team before the jammy bass@s equalised.

Seem to remember Hibs only opened the main stand and the cowshed/cave for that game.

A larger than expected crowd turned up so Hibs had to move fans round the edge of the pitch onto the snow covered terracing.

Phil D. Rolls
17-12-2009, 03:16 PM
We played Feyenoord in a friendly around 1985, I'm sketchy on the details though, I think Johnny Rep may have played for the Rotterdam strugglers.

haagsehibby
17-12-2009, 03:25 PM

And also IIRC was this not the game where Joe Tortolano had a rush of blood and scythed down Gordon Strachan about waist high ??

tbfhibs
17-12-2009, 03:27 PM
And also IIRC was this not the game where Joe Tortolano had a rush of blood and scythed down Gordon Strachan about waist high ??
Sure that was Rae testimonial 0-3

H18sry
17-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Was that not a testimonial game :wink:

Kato
17-12-2009, 03:28 PM

That was a testimonial, Gordon Rae's (?).

In the 1-1 friendly Shades put so called "hard man" Bryan Robson in hospital with a ruptured kidney or something. Hardly touched him.

aljo7-0
17-12-2009, 03:29 PM

I think that was Gordon Rae's testimonial game but I too have a misfiring memory these days.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Seem to remember a game against West Brom (then English Champions??) after we won the League Cup in the early 70's, paraded the cup before we were beaten??

Leithenhibby
17-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I think that was Gordon Rae's testimonial game but I too have a misfiring memory these days.

:agree: Differently GR's Testimonial..I also recall big Frank Stapleton getting the equaliser late on in the first game (under-soil heating friendly)

Peevemor
17-12-2009, 03:54 PM

It was Willie Jamieson with almost his first touch after coming on as a sub.

Peevemor
17-12-2009, 03:56 PM
i was at the Benny hat-trick game also and remember it being a penalty but my memory may be playing tricks on me

Could have been mate, remember one of them was, unlike Benny, a corker.

It was, because once we were given the penalty there was no way Benny was letting anyone else take it.

haagsehibby
17-12-2009, 03:57 PM

In the 1-1 friendly Shades put so called "hard man" Bryan Robson in hospital with a ruptured kidney or something. Hardly touched him.

Thanks guys - getting auld !!

Leithenhibby
17-12-2009, 03:59 PM
It was Willie Jamieson with almost his first touch after coming on as a sub.

Can't remember who scored for us for the life of me, but I can still see Frank Stapleton heading in the equaliser..(Dunbar End) Ma memory's no what it once was.:cool2:

Jonnyboy
17-12-2009, 04:37 PM
We played Feyenoord in a friendly around 1985, I'm sketchy on the details though, I think Johnny Rep may have played for the Rotterdam strugglers.

5 December 85 - Hibs 4 Feyenoord 2
Stevie Cowan (2) Kano (pen) and Eddie May
Not sure who scored for the Dutch

Seem to remember a game against West Brom (then English Champions??) after we won the League Cup in the early 70's, paraded the cup before we were beaten??

8 August 72 Hibs 0 WBA 2 Bobby Gould & Ally Brown

manewhut
17-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I remember going to a game in the early 80's versus Celtic which was arranged as a friendly because Celtics park was frozen . The game was notable for the fact that |Benny Brazil scored a hat trick ( its absolutely true - I was there ) and Hibs won 6-3.

Benny’s still got the ball from that game in his house and it was defiantly a penalty he scored the third from.

Also remember helping to clearing the snow/ice from the north enclosure before the game and getting hot soup from somewhere as a reward..as well as free entry...

Hibs07p
17-12-2009, 04:59 PM

I remember that 50 / 50 quite well down by the corner of the old cow shed (FF) and east terracing, but there was only ever going to be one winner. The pitch may have been clear, but have you ever stood on a block of ice for 90 minutes, that was what it was like as the terrace was still covered in snow / compact ice.

bigwheel
17-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Do I recall rightly that Super Joe was subbed shortly after, early in the game, as a result???

tbfhibs
17-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Do I recall rightly that Super Joe was subbed shortly after, early in the game, as a result???
Think he got sent off.

spudhib
17-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Seem to recall Hibs v Dumbarton in 84/85 being the main game on the very English based Match of the day due to having the undersoil heating,while a lot of the top English clubs didn't bother at the time.

Ray_
17-12-2009, 05:21 PM

It was the Monday night [i'm sure Monday], just after the Saturday 5-3 win against Celtic in the Dryborough cup & WBA weren't the English Champs, although they won the FA cup in 1968, with Dunfermline, helped by winning 1-0 at the Hawthorns, putting West Brom out of the following seasons Cup Winners Cup, [with more than a little help from Alex Edwards]. P.S Dunfermline had beaten our city friends:jamboak: 3-1 in the Scottish final, to qualify.

Derby, 1975, were the English champs, perhaps that's who you were thinking off RE: champs.

CmoantheHibs
17-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Aye Im pretty sure he got sent off then it became a non event as they pissed over the top of us.Remember Strachan joking pre match about because he was a Hibby the Hibs players wouldnt tackle him.

Baader
17-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Tortolano was sent off for a bad challenge on Strachan. Highest profile Hibby on the park and he clattered him!

cal-d hibs
17-12-2009, 07:41 PM
5 December 85 - Hibs 4 Feyenoord 2
Stevie Cowan (2) Kano (pen) and Eddie May
Not sure who scored for the Dutch

8 August 72 Hibs 0 WBA 2 Bobby Gould & Ally Brown

I'm sure one of the Feyenoord goals was an OG by Gordon Hunter, Roughie was kicking the ball out and as Geebsie turned too run upfield the ball skelped him on the back of his napper and flew back over Roughie's heid and in to the goal, Dunbar End I think!

We played Dunfermline at Easter Rd around the same time in the Tom Hart Memorial Cup and gubbed them 5-3, Moscow Dynamo was a Friday I think and we won that 2-0!

Jumbo
17-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Seem to remember glamour frendlies against Motherwell, who were in first div at time, and Inverness Thistle, think this may have been during their 29 times postponed cup game v Falkirk, just to let them have a game :nerd:

BoltonHibee
17-12-2009, 08:44 PM
It was the Monday night [i'm sure Monday], just after the Saturday 5-3 win against Celtic in the Dryborough cup & WBA weren't the English Champs, although they won the FA cup in 1968, with Dunfermline, helped by winning 1-0 at the Hawthorns, putting West Brom out of the following seasons Cup Winners Cup, [with more than a little help from Alex Edwards]. P.S Dunfermline had beaten our city friends:jamboak: 3-1 in the Scottish final, to qualify.

Derby, 1975, were the English champs, perhaps that's who you were thinking off RE: champs.

It must have been the Dryborough Cup that was paraded, your right they were not champions, I remember them beeing a good side at the time though. As Jonnyboy points out we got beaten 2 nil.

Ray_
17-12-2009, 09:25 PM
It must have been the Dryborough Cup that was paraded, your right they were not champions, I remember them beeing a good side at the time though. As Jonnyboy points out we got beaten 2 nil.

Yip, they were decent & it was two Scottish players who got the goals, but as with the Boro a year earlier [ET's first game in charge], they were big and industrial.

Another Scot, Asa Hartford was still with them, after his cancelled transfer to Leeds the previous winter, after the medical found he had a hole in his heart. Didn't stop him having a great career though & yet another Scot Billy Johnston was soon to sign, this after getting a two month ban by the SFA, he was even worse than Mickey for kicking out.

I'm sure the score would have been different though, had it not been for that epic & extra time a couple of days earlier:greengrin & it was also only five days after we had beat the Huns 3-0 in the semi.

Jonnyboy
17-12-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm sure one of the Feyenoord goals was an OG by Gordon Hunter, Roughie was kicking the ball out and as Geebsie turned too run upfield the ball skelped him on the back of his napper and flew back over Roughie's heid and in to the goal, Dunbar End I think!

We played Dunfermline at Easter Rd around the same time in the Tom Hart Memorial Cup and gubbed them 5-3, Moscow Dynamo was a Friday I think and we won that 2-0!

Surely not? So it's not just Maka then :wink: Kinda shows that even proven keepers make daft mistakes :greengrin

WindyMiller
17-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I remember a testimonial around '89, we played Aston Villa, when we put out perhaps the best front pairing ever; KeithKeithKeith and Kenny Dalglish.:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
17-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I remember a testimonial around '89, we played Aston Villa, when we put out perhaps the best front pairing ever; KeithKeithKeith and Kenny Dalglish.:thumbsup:

14 October 1991 Windy :agree:

Hibs 4 Aston Villa 2 in Alan Sneddon's testimonial

Keith scored all the Hibs goals :thumbsup: King Kenny had said to him before the game 'you make the runs son and I'll pass you the ball'

Dalglish was brilliant that night :agree:

WindyMiller
17-12-2009, 11:44 PM
14 October 1991 Windy :agree:

Keith scored all the Hibs goals :thumbsup: King Kenny had said to him before the game 'you make the runs son and I'll pass you the ball'

Dalglish was brilliant that night :agree:

When I heard King Kenny was likely to play I decided to go along with my laddies, as it was possibly the last/only time they'd see the great man play.

They were not disappointed.

His brain was 2 yards ahead of everyone else.:agree:

Peevemor
17-12-2009, 11:49 PM
When I heard King Kenny was likely to play I decided to go along with my laddies, as it was possibly the last/only time they'd see the great man play.

They were not disappointed.

His brain was 2 yards ahead of everyone else.:agree:

He hardly moved more than 10 yards from the half way line, yet controlled the game up until he was subbed.

tbfhibs
18-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Seem to remember glamour frendlies against Motherwell, who were in first div at time, and Inverness Thistle, think this may have been during their 29 times postponed cup game v Falkirk, just to let them have a game :nerd:
Yeh i think we won 2-0 Davie Hay manager, big scrap on the bridge. Big Motherwell support too.

Hiber-nation
18-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Obviously that friendly mentioned earlier was Hibs v Man U ...

Boxing Day 1981 I think, frozen terraces. A creditable 1-1 draw for a dire Hibs side.

Peevemor
18-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Boxing Day 1981 I think, frozen terraces. A creditable 1-1 draw for a dire Hibs side.

:agree: It says something when that match is probably my clearest memory of Hibs in that period.

--------
18-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Graham Fyfe scoring a goal?

Don't be silly..... :faf:

Joe Baker II
18-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Actually although that team was not good to watch, it was probably not one of our worse teams. We did play well in this game I recall although Man U were poor that season. But as you say I remember the temperatures more, had feeling North Stand may be warmer than terracing so persuaded my Dad to go there I recall!

Bizarre fixtures planned for Christmas day in late 1970s.

Monktonhall 7
18-12-2009, 07:43 PM
14 October 1991 Windy

Keith scored all the Hibs goals King Kenny had said to him before the game 'you make the runs son and I'll pass you the ball'

Dalglish was brilliant that night

I'm sure that was the game before the Dunfermline League Cup Final, and remember singing that "we're gonna win the cup", at the final whistle. Great night, and great performance.

IWasThere2016
19-12-2009, 12:09 AM

I was there - it was freezing! Willie Jamieson for us and Stapleton for them. We totally outplayed them IIRC.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I was there - it was freezing! Willie Jamieson for us and Stapleton for them. We totally outplayed them IIRC.

You used to be able to watch this game on HI, before the changeover to premium tv.

CropleyWasGod
19-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Thread hijack here.

I have a vague memory that he was punted from Ibrox because he married a C*tholic.

Urban myth, anyone?

Gala Foxes
19-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Joe Fillippi works as a rep for a brewery now, he was the host at a table when i went to Killie Hibs on Boxing Day 2 years ago _ I asked him if he scored many goals in his career - he gave me a knowing look and said "it was going in anyway"

IWasThere2016
19-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Joe Fillippi works as a rep for a brewery now, he was the host at a table when i went to Killie Hibs on Boxing Day 2 years ago _ I asked him if he scored many goals in his career - he gave me a knowing look and said "it was going in anyway"

:faf:

brog
19-12-2009, 10:41 AM
:faf:

I was one of the few who was there & Joe F was correct. If my old memory is correct the goal came from a corner or cross down the slope in front of old North Stand. Joe Harper got to near post in front of his marker & flicked it in. It was almost over the line when Fillipi got a toe to it. In those days it went down as an og regardless, today it would have been Harper's goal.

fiolex1
19-12-2009, 11:07 AM
This isn't a Hibs story, but I remember our local Junior team (Arniston Rangers) having the only playable pitch in the lothians, there was a rumour going around Gorebridge that Hearts were coming to play, obviously we thought it would be there second string maybe even there kids. Couldn't believe it when the team came out as it was their full squad, we ripped the piss out of Willie Johnstone the whole game.
Can't remember the score was early to mid 80's I think

Bishop Hibee
19-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Good old undersoil heating! Many games played while the rest in Scotland were cancelled.

How many times did it break down though :grr: I remember turning up at the ground for a game against St Mirren to be told the pitch was frozen. I'm sure there were others including a new Year game v Hearts?

I'm sure the revamped system will be in full force over the festive period.