PDA

View Full Version : Steven Fletcher

HFC_0762
17-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Steven Fletcher again had a great game for burnley against Arsenal , his ALLROUND performances for burnley have been very very good this season , surely now he has proven to hibs fan ( a lot who didnt like him for some reason ) that he is a very very good player that is still only 22 years old and is playing everyweek in the EPL . Maybe he doesnt score enough goals but no player is perfect or finished article at 22 , people forget he is only 22 , derek riordan has improved his work rate to add to the undoubted talent he has always had but he is playing SPL at 26 years old , Fletcher was 22 and got pelters for imo no real reason , fletch at 26 years old will be at a far higher level than any player hibs have produced in absolute ages . He always was the best player we have brung through but was criticised for no reason but hopefully now people who know anything about football will reliase they are wrong / or were wrong about him

Captain Trips
17-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Steven Fletcher again had a great game for burnley against Arsenal , his ALLROUND performances for burnley have been very very good this season , surely now he has proven to hibs fan ( a lot who didnt like him for some reason ) that he is a very very good player that is still only 22 years old and is playing everyweek in the EPL . Maybe he doesnt score enough goals but no player is perfect or finished article at 22 , people forget he is only 22 , derek riordan has improved his work rate to add to the undoubted talent he has always had but he is playing SPL at 26 years old , Fletcher was 22 and got pelters for imo no real reason , fletch at 26 years old will be at a far higher level than any player hibs have produced in absolute ages . He always was the best player we have brung through but was criticised for no reason but hopefully now people who know anything about football will reliase they are wrong / or were wrong about him

He fits in well, it has proved that next time an EPL team think one of our players has the ability they should be charged EPL rate.

hibsbollah
17-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Can just say that blackpoolhibs has always sung Stephen Fletcher's praises and anyone saying the contrary is a big liar :agree:

EskbankHibby
17-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Breathe mate, breathe.

Always thought he was a talented player, bit p'd off with him when he threw the dummy out about the Celtic link but Hibs got good money for him.

I have no ill feelings towards Fletcher, hope he continues to do well.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Can just say that blackpoolhibs has always sung Stephen Fletcher's praises and anyone saying the contrary is a big liar :agree:

:faf::top marks

hfc rd
17-12-2009, 12:11 PM
The Burnley fans love him. They say he is on his way to becoming a Turf Moor legend and that it is going to be really hard to hold onto him for next season. Anyway Well Done Steven Fletcher! Keep it up! :wink:

CorrieHibs
17-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Couldn't agree more delighted he is doing really well. Always said he was gonna be a star. Just proves going to the EPL is a far better choice than going to the ugly bigot sisters. Well done Fletch :thumbsup:

Leith Green
17-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Think quite a lot of people were cynical towards him being put in a certain bracket. I.E linked to Real Madrid etc, these people and myself included probably felt that he was being overrated and that he was the most one footed player I think I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey...

Always felt he was a good player, just not quite the player the press etc made him out to be though.

What I will say is that he was always hard working, decent in the air and a good link up player with a good shot from distance..

Useless in one on one situations and with his right foot however!!

Jonnyboy
17-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Pretty sure he's scored 8 goals in 18 starts which is in no way shabby :greengrin

I missed the Killie game last weekend and travelled down to watch Burnley play Fulham. Fletch was superb, linking the play, making runs to take defenders away etc and as is said elsewhere the Burnley fans love him. :agree:

Woody1985
17-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure he's scored 8 goals in 18 starts which is in no way shabby :greengrin

I missed the Killie game last weekend and travelled down to watch Burnley play Fulham. Fletch was superb, linking the play, making runs to take defenders away etc and as is said elsewhere the Burnley fans love him. :agree:

He had one chopped off that was a tough call against Aresnal last night, the camera didn't catch him in the picture and the had to use CG to try and figure it out.

Think he also had another one chopped off which was meant to have been valid earlier in the season.

Nailrod
17-12-2009, 12:45 PM
He was playing in front of a load of dross in our midfield last season, which isn't going to do anybody any favours.

Even a class act like Nade struggles when he's not getting the service. I've often seen him shouting abuse at the burger-flippers in Macdonalds.

Franck is God
17-12-2009, 12:46 PM
He had a perfectly good goal ruled out at Spurs as well as last night, both for offside and both incorrect decisions at the time. He is doing really well, I thought it would take between 15 & 20 games before he really caught up with the pace of the Premiership so for him to have settled so quickly is testament to the talent he has alway had.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he is the best player Hibs have produced since JC. The players he came through with were good but to me he always looked like he had something extra and so far that has proved to be correct.

Not wanting to put to much pressure on him but I remember thinking the same thing when I saw Wotherspoon for the first time in the EOS shield final a couple of seasons ago. He may only have been 16 at the time but some players are just a bit special. Glad Yogi is in charge of his development in the same way that Mowbray and JC looked after Fletch.

Baader
17-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Good on him. Felt he was unfortunate playing up front under Mixu with the delivery he was getting. His goal against Arsenal shouldn't have been chalked off either.

Always good to see an ex Hibby do the ambitious thing and not just move along the M8 to vie for a place on the bench. I like Owen Coyle and Burnley and hope they stay up. If they don't though I can see Fletch staying in the Premiership.

Andy74
17-12-2009, 01:05 PM
He had plenty of delivery that he missed last year as well so he wasn't exactly starved of chances.

Always felt he was a good player but I think it makes it worse that he didn't seem to work hard enough on his game the last couple of years with us.

As an EPL standard player he should have been standing out for us and taking most of the chances that came his way.

sadtom
17-12-2009, 01:07 PM
He had one chopped off that was a tough call against Aresnal last night, the camera didn't catch him in the picture and the had to use CG to try and figure it out.

Think he also had another one chopped off which was meant to have been valid earlier in the season.

Ouch!
Steven 'eunuch' Fletcher.

Or did you mean 'chalked off':greengrin.

givescotlandfreedom
17-12-2009, 01:15 PM
He had plenty of delivery that he missed last year as well so he wasn't exactly starved of chances.

Always felt he was a good player but I think it makes it worse that he didn't seem to work hard enough on his game the last couple of years with us.

As an EPL standard player he should have been standing out for us and taking most of the chances that came his way.

I agree with this. I don't think he was putting in the effort he should have been. His heart wasn't in it at stages IMO.

sambajustice
17-12-2009, 01:16 PM
He's crap! Would rather have Torres...

bingo70
17-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree with this. I don't think he was putting in the effort he should have been. His heart wasn't in it at stages IMO.

I think for all his faults, he clearly never had the best of times in front of goal last season, one criticism that couldn't be labelled at him was lack of effort IMO, my memory of steven fletcher last season was having to drop so deep, pretty much into midfield to work hard and try and get the ball as he was getting such poor service from our 'midfield'.

Someone who wasn't putting effort in wouldn't do that, they'd just stand up top and wait on the ball coming to them

Franck is God
17-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I think for all his faults, he clearly never had the best of times in front of goal last season, one criticism that couldn't be labelled at him was lack of effort IMO, my memory of steven fletcher last season was having to drop so deep, pretty much into midfield to work hard and try and get the ball as he was getting such poor service from our 'midfield'.

Someone who wasn't putting effort in wouldn't do that, they'd just stand up top and wait on the ball coming to them

Clearly his biggest fault was his names not Derek, he didn't kiss the badge every time he scored, didn't get a name for being a wee ned and get banned from all the nightclubs in Edinburgh, didn't get caught in a video singing racist chants about Rudi Scacel and of course didn't claim he was a Hibby and allow his contract to run down and run away at the first opportunity and then come back with his tail between his legs because its just not fair.....

Cocaine&Caviar
17-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Very unlucky to have his goal ruled out last night, if it had been allowed he would be on 9 Goals in 19 appearances, very decent.

Interesting quote from Burnley's website:

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1907522,00.html

"Fletcher produced another centre-forward master class against the gunners"

hibsbollah
17-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Clearly his biggest fault was his names not Derek, he didn't kiss the badge every time he scored, didn't get a name for being a wee ned and get banned from all the nightclubs in Edinburgh, didn't get caught in a video singing racist chants about Rudi Scacel and of course didn't claim he was a Hibby and allow his contract to run down and run away at the first opportunity and then come back with his tail between his legs because its just not fair.....

Fletcher, apparently, get so wound up before a game (huns or yams, cant remember which) that he jumped up and punched a hole in the dressing room ceiling:thumbsup: I think he had more of the hoolie in him than he's given credit for:cool2:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
17-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Fletch really was excellent last night. As others have said, his all round play is much improved.

I am confident that Burnley will stay up. They are much better than Portsmouth , Wolves, Hull and Bolton.

dangermouse
17-12-2009, 02:38 PM
He's their top scorer at the moment with penalty taker Alexander 3 behind him.

matty_f
17-12-2009, 02:39 PM
There were a lot of people who said that Fletcher was the pick of the bunch when he was first coming through. I think people on here tended to exaggerate how much of an impact having a weaker right foot had on his all round game.

I hope he goes on to be a top class striker at that level.:agree:

Baw187
17-12-2009, 03:03 PM

:agree: Watching some of his goals for Burnley, he's a penalty box striker and coming deep didn't suit his came. He's not as technically good as some of the flari players we've had, but as a goalscorer, he's top drawer.

At Burnley he's playing where and as he should be.

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2009, 03:42 PM
To say he was slacking last season is imho nonsense. He was playing with utter garbage service, and as others have said, dropping too deep. Yes he missed a few, he will never be a torres in front of goal. Although his all round play is as good as many if not better than a lot of strikers in the EPL. He has always had the ability to play in England, but he has surprised me how quickly he's fitted in.:thumbsup: He's hit the ground running at burnley, lets just hope there is a sell on clause.:wink:

Andy74
17-12-2009, 03:49 PM
:agree: Watching some of his goals for Burnley, he's a penalty box striker and coming deep didn't suit his came. He's not as technically good as some of the flari players we've had, but as a goalscorer, he's top drawer.

At Burnley he's playing where and as he should be.

A penalty box striker that was missing balls at the back post by going with his left foot all the time!

Strangely he's now sticking them in with the correct foot that it falls to. I don't think he bothered to address this with us.

Penalty box strikers can also stick away one on ones. How many did he have in Hearts games last year?

blackpoolhibs
17-12-2009, 03:54 PM
A penalty box striker that was missing balls at the back post by going with his left foot all the time!

Strangely he's now sticking them in with the correct foot that it falls to. I don't think he bothered to address this with us.

Penalty box strikers can also stick away one on ones. How many did he have in Hearts games last year?

A coincidence imho, he also missed an absolute sitter with his right foot a couple of weeks ago.

bingo70
17-12-2009, 03:59 PM

I would be very surprised if he practises sliding in with his wrong foot into an empty goal from 6 yards out now because he's joined a premiership club, i just can't see that as something a striker would practise so i don't think it's a case of not bothering when he was with us, IMO it'd more likely be down to playing with a lack of confidence in front of goal last season.

I'm not convinced he's a penalty box striker either BTW, i just think lack of effort is not something you could acuse Fletch of last season.

Sir Mixulot
17-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Pretty sure this is the case but can anyone confirm or deny that Hibs get some money on performance related add-ons, particularly Burnley staying up??? If so if anybody knows the figures involved I would be most grateful.

hibbie02
17-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Is that you Steve??? BTW how old is Fletcher? :greengrin

hibbymark
17-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I think fletch is a clever player. Never really thought he was a natural finisher though. Somtimes forget he is so young as he has been about for years.Really seems to be flurishing under Owen im not a weegie im irish coyle. Good luck to him and hibs got good money for him. Fletch seems to be able to step up to the mark when required and grab his chance with both hands. Took his opportunity at hibs when stepping up from the youths. Took his chance for scotland scoring the winner on his first start and has taken the epl step up no problem .

Al_Bundy
17-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I think everyone can agree that Fletcher was an unbelievable talent under Mowbray and Collins. His development seemed to stall a bit IMO under Mixu.

In his last season and a half with Hibs i don't feel he improved as much as some of us thought he would which led to me thinking under a half decent manager he would eventually be turned into an attacking midfielder as his work rate and link up play was really good. And although he could put himself about a bit i though he was a tad too lightweight.(looks to have bulked up now though)

He became a first team regular at a very young age and people tend to forget a players age once they are in the team a few season which is probably why he got a bit stick, IMO us fans thought he was/should have been more accomplished than he was. Like the original poster said he is still only 22.

Although i thought he would do well in the Premiership i never thought he would do this well. I am also happy he is proving me wrong about him being more an attacking midfielder also.

Keep it up Fletch.

col02
17-12-2009, 05:22 PM
No doubt be a few people back tracking as I seem to recall quite a few people on here saying he would struggle in the EPL. I always believed he had ability to go play at a higher level than in the SPL and worrying thing is I think there is still a lot more to come from him. Hopefully be a regular for the national team for years to come as be good to have a quality forward rather than a player like Kenny Miller who while honest and hardworking enough lacks that bit technical ability.

Iain G
17-12-2009, 05:30 PM

That you defending Alan O'Brien again then Andy :wink:

Wotherspiniesta
17-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I watched the game last night. He had a fantastic game and really looks the part in the Premiership. He chases down defenders, has a good deal of pace, has a bit of skill about him, is really good in the air and seems to have developed a nack of scoring "poacher goals" for Burnley this season. Not really a lot more you can ask from a forward.

I will probably get pelters for this, but I kept thinking last night, he would be exactly the kind of link up forward that Arsenal could do with. :dunno:

hibsbollah
17-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Surely only a madman could have Kenny Millar in front of him in the Scotland team?

Wotherspiniesta
17-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Surely only an alcoholic yam welt could have Kenny Millar in front of him in the Scotland team?

Fixed :cool2:

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-12-2009, 06:11 PM
not that bothered what he does now as long he starts scoring for Scotland and has a sell on clause in his contract!

brog
18-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Fletch is a wonderful talent. I remember a few years back, midweek against Livi I think Garry O'C was injured early on. Fletch came on in his place & looked twice the player, I believe he was 18 at the time. I think Fletch, JC & Deek are the most naturally talented players we've produced in the last 25 years. I wish him every success & hope he's a credit to Hibs for many years to come.
I've said it before but not even Dick Turpin would have had the brass neck to sell Kyle Lafferty, buy Fletch & make £0.5million profit!!

Owain_1987
18-12-2009, 09:06 AM

I agree the thing that I don't like is for a boy with so much talent who only as one foot. He is a very good player and I really rate him. Out of interest were you trying see how many time you could put 22 and 26 in one post :greengrin:greengrin

Baw187
18-12-2009, 09:22 AM

To be fair to him, it was hardly all the time. Most folk remember the ones against Utd but these chances don't happen all the time and I'm not sure he had much opportunity to address it with us. As you say tho, he's scored a couple for Burnley using the 'correct' foot so has maybe he's learnt from the ones last year over the summer.

One thing that will have helped Fletcher is the fact that he's working with Owen Coyle who was a pretty solid goal scorer in his day and will be telling him the aspects of his game to work on. As someone said, he's an intelligent player and will pick up and learn from someone with Coyle's experience.

lapsedhibee
18-12-2009, 11:20 AM
To be fair to him, it was hardly all the time. Most folk remember the ones against Utd but these chances don't happen all the time and I'm not sure he had much opportunity to address it with us. As you say tho, he's scored a couple for Burnley using the 'correct' foot so has maybe he's learnt from the ones last year over the summer.

What, did he have to take some other full time job as well as his Hibs job. so that his mammy didn't have to go out to work? :confused: :wink: It was obvious for about two years that he should be addressing the issue!

Don't think Fletch could ever be faulted for effort on the park - quite the reverse, thought his commitment was outstanding - but he was real slow to start getting to grips with the wrong foot.

Danderhall Hibs
18-12-2009, 11:21 AM
- but he was real slow to start getting to grips with the wrong foot.

It wasn't his wrong foot that was the problem - it was his right foot.

Bad Martini
18-12-2009, 11:42 AM

1) Fletcher scored how many goals for Hibs?
2) Riordan scored (and continues to score) how many goals for Hibs?

The rest, is irrelevant to the debate.

Whilst writing, how many chances did Fletcher score BEFORE his heid was filled with SHEITE about joining Real Madrid?

Fletcher was/is a DECENT player. He'll never play for Real Madrid and he won't score more goals, over the piece, than Riordan. Fletcher is/was meant to be/is widely accepted as being a "striker" ... Riordan, is not.

Err, ENDOF :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Baw187
18-12-2009, 11:51 AM
What, did he have to take some other full time job as well as his Hibs job. so that his mammy didn't have to go out to work? :confused: :wink: It was obvious for about two years that he should be addressing the issue!

Not sure that's what I meant. :greengrin

I was trying to get over the point that, to my mind, situations where he used is left foot when the right would have been favourable, were not as plentiful as it's being made out. He did take shots with his right albeit they seldom hit the back of the net, but that's trying to use it and practicing IMO.

The clear cut times when he slid in and missed them were in one game near the end of that season and I don't recall him having any more opportunities with us in the short time he had left, to demostrate to us that the next time he slid in at the right, back stick, he would use is right clobber !

That's what I was trying to say. :greengrin

hibbysam
18-12-2009, 11:52 AM
1) Fletcher scored how many goals for Hibs?
2) Riordan scored (and continues to score) how many goals for Hibs?

The rest, is irrelevant to the debate.

Whilst writing, how many chances did Fletcher score BEFORE his heid was filled with SHEITE about joining Real Madrid?

Fletcher was/is a DECENT player. He'll never play for Real Madrid and he won't score more goals, over the piece, than Riordan. Fletcher is/was meant to be/is widely accepted as being a "striker" ... Riordan, is not.

Err, ENDOF :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fletch is about 3 times the player riordan is/ever will be...

im sure ill get shot down for that because "riordan is a hibby through and through and still plays here/kisses the badge/is a wee radge"

fletch has pace, strength, his hold up play is second to none and he is proving in the "best league in the world" that he can score goals but never mind he is a "decent" player :confused: what is gonna make him better than decent?
surely when you are scoring goals and playing out of your skin against world class defenders and making them look ordinary you are at least a bit better than "decent"

Burnley got a top top striker for a bargain! endof

Bad Martini
18-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Fletch is about 3 times the player riordan is/ever will be...

im sure ill get shot down for that because "riordan is a hibby through and through and still plays here/kisses the badge/is a wee radge"

fletch has pace, strength, his hold up play is second to none and he is proving in the "best league in the world" that he can score goals but never mind he is a "decent" player :confused: what is gonna make him better than decent?
surely when you are scoring goals and playing out of your skin against world class defenders and making them look ordinary you are at least a bit better than "decent"

Burnley got a top top striker for a bargain! endof

Nothing to do with kissing badges and I don't care about what either of them do when they are NOT playing fitba. However, the facts are:

AT HIBS
Fletcher scored 52 goals over 189 appearances...
Riordan scored 87 goals over 196 appearances...

08-09 SEASON
Fletcher had 34 appearances for Hibs and scored 11 goals
Riordan had 32 appearances for Hibs and scored 12 goals

SINCE 2003
Riordan has scored 95 goals in total
Fletcher has scored 60 goals in total

Fletcher is a forward as you note. Riordan was never an out and out forward...there are various other bits n bobs of info you could throw into this such as Fletchers injuries and Riordans spells on the bench under TBTM, none of which were useful in getting into their stride but the fact is, over a similair time period, the facts are as above.

As to Fletcher being 3 times the player Riordan is - I dont agree, the facts don't support it.

It wasn't really about Fletcher v Riordan but as you mention it, there it is.

FWIW, I didn't DISLIKE Fletcher - he was decent. He scored some good, important goals and he was a decent servant to Hibs.

:agree:

Regina Phalange
18-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Nothing to do with kissing badges and I don't care about what either of them do when they are NOT playing fitba. However, the facts are:

AT HIBS

08-09 SEASON

SINCE 2003

Fletcher is a forward as you note. Riordan was never an out and out forward...there are various other bits n bobs of info you could throw into this such as Fletchers injuries and Riordans spells on the bench under TBTM, none of which were useful in getting into their stride but the fact is, over a similair time period, the facts are as above.

As to Fletcher being 3 times the player Riordan is - I dont agree, the facts don't support it.

FWIW, I didn't DISLIKE Fletcher - he was decent. He scored some good, important goals and he was a decent servant to Hibs.

Sorry, these are the facts are they? Not a massively skewed set of figures you have conjured up to make sure Riordan looks better?

Firstly, Riordan has 83 Hibs goals as far as I can tell, what was your source for 87? 08-09 season Riordan took Hibs' penalties, do have the facts on how many of his goals came from the spot? I would bet at least two, which would give Fletch more from open play. Neither of those things actualy suggest Fletcher is the better goalscorer, but since we are dealing with the facts.

Since 2003? Why then? Is it because Riordan was an established first team player and Fletcher a youngster who was breaking through? How about this one:

SINCE 2006:

Riordan scored 27 goals in total
Fletcher scored 45 goals in total

As for Fletcher is a forward and Riordan isn't, I think every manager Fletcher has worked under has played him in midfield or on the wing. Most of his match time under Mowbray was in these areas, under Collins he would alternate between the centre of a 3 and one of the wide roles, Mixu mainly played him as a centre forward dropping deep and Coyle started the season using him out wide. He has even started on the left for Scotland.

While Riordan has often started out on the left he has always been given the license to drift and usually to ignore his defensive duties (although that has improved), often resulting in players like Fletcher last season dropping back to do his dirty work. While Riordan is nominally a midfielder sometimes and Fletcher a forward, Riordan is the one whose only focus is on goals.

Some other stats:

SCOTLAND CAPS:

Riordan - 3 caps (all in friendlies as sub)
Fletcher - 7 caps, 1 goals

TRANSFER FEES:

Riordan - £170,000 (not a big deal to Celtic, punted back 2 years later)
Fletcher - £3,000,000 + incentives (club record for Burnley)

Surely these facts suggest Fletcher is a better player?

You can use stats and figures to support either argument, the only thing that should really be used is your eyes. If you watch Fletcher playing against Arsenal, having a valid goal disallowed and generally putting in an excellent all round performance against Gallas and Vermaelen, and then watch Riordan in any game in the SPL, and still think Riordan is a better player, then I can give you the number of a very good optician.

hibbysam
18-12-2009, 10:02 PM

AT HIBS

08-09 SEASON

SINCE 2003

Yehp well done riordan has scored more goals than fletch :thumbsup:

makes him a better player? i think not.

watch each and every one of each of these guys games this year, riordan has been ordinary, yehp has scored some goals, and improved his tracking but hasnt set the heather alight in an ordinary spl.

Fletch on the other hand is taking the EPL by storm, scoring goals, had two pefectly good goals ruled out and still has 8 to his name, Fletch will have plenty of Scotland caps in future, will riordan? doubt it somehow,

but its finee he ran away, pissed on our club, came back with his tail between his legs and is some sort of legend :confused:

ill admit it i love when i see riordan scoring and kissing the badge but it doesnt make him any better a player and Fletch is at LEAST 3x the player riordan is, and will only get better, wont be at Burnley long anyway

Franck is God
18-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Riordan is a good player in the SPL, takes a good free kick and is a decent finisher and I'm glad he is back at ER, probably should never have left in the first place but he made his money and I'm sure he never gave Hibs a second thought when he did it.

Fletcher is a top quality player who will grace the Premiership for years to come and could easily play in any of the other top leagues around Europe. He actually was being scouted by Real Madrid a few years ago. He was named in the team of the tournament in the Under 20 world cup in Canada and quite rightly would have had his progress tracked by a number of clubs, the media carried on the hype, wasn't exactly his fault, who wouldn't want to see your name linked with one of the biggest clubs in the world? I saw this as a huge compliment to the player and the club, never understood why it was mocked and derided by some of our own fans?

Shrekko
19-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Fletcher is a top quality player who will grace the Premiership for years to come and could easily play in any of the other top leagues around Europe. He actually was being scouted by Real Madrid a few years ago. He was named in the team of the tournament in the Under 20 world cup in Canada and quite rightly would have had his progress tracked by a number of clubs, the media carried on the hype, wasn't exactly his fault, who wouldn't want to see your name linked with one of the biggest clubs in the world? I saw this as a huge compliment to the player and the club, never understood why it was mocked and derided by some of our own fans?

First of all, sorry to be pedantic but he wasnt in the team of the tournament in Canada- he was however top scorer in the Euro qualification IIRC. Fletch and Scotland were poor in Canada.

I think the interest was mocked because although there was 'interest', the extent of it was completely overblown in the media. It wasnt his fault but IMO that is when Fletch started to stagnate at Hibs and quite frankly he was much better than he showed in his last 18 months here.

I dont dislike him but I do feel slightly robbed at the moment as he is clearly showing what he is made of now and if he'd showed the same application in his last season at ER we'd have probably got the 5 million initially talked about.

sahib
19-12-2009, 08:55 AM
First of all, sorry to be pedantic but he wasnt in the team of the tournament in Canada- he was however top scorer in the Euro qualification IIRC. Fletch and Scotland were poor in Canada.

I think the interest was mocked because although there was 'interest', the extent of it was completely overblown in the media. It wasnt his fault but IMO that is when Fletch started to stagnate at Hibs and quite frankly he was much better than he showed in his last 18 months here.

I dont dislike him but I do feel slightly robbed at the moment as he is clearly showing what he is made of now and if he'd showed the same application in his last season at ER we'd have probably got the 5 million initially talked about.

Those who didn't rate Fletcher and those that over-rate the EPL and hence never consider any SPL player good enough to play there, have now adjusted their position, quite cunningly. Rather than admitting they were wrong, it turns out sneaky Steve was holding back, playing with one leg strapped behind him ( his right?). I don't accept this and as one who thought him our best player, by some distance, last season I must admit I was wrong in assuming we would struggle without our star player.

Shrekko
19-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Those who didn't rate Fletcher and those that over-rate the EPL and hence never consider any SPL player good enough to play there, have now adjusted their position, quite cunningly. Rather than admitting they were wrong, it turns out sneaky Steve was holding back, playing with one leg strapped behind him ( his right?). I don't accept this and as one who thought him our best player, by some distance, last season I must admit I was wrong in assuming we would struggle without our star player.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions there.

First of all, I always said that as a boy he looked the best prospect of all and I still believe that.

If you think he was our best player by some way last season, thats your opinion. I respect that and would hope you'd respect mine, which is that he wasnt.

It's all very well trying to back up your previous stance by pointing out how well he's doing in the EPL but you've actually killed your own argument by admitting we havent missed him. How on earth should we not be missing a player of his ability? If we had Fletch playing like he is just now I'd fancy us to make a run at the title he looks that good.

Nothing 'cunning' about it- I'm being completely up front.

scotty1875
20-12-2009, 10:53 PM
He was playing in front of a load of dross in our midfield last season, which isn't going to do anybody any favours.

Even a class act like Nade struggles when not getting the service. I've often seen him shouting abuse at the burger-flippers in Macdonalds.

Just read this and laughed my ass off :faf::faf:- quality Nailrod :thumbsup:

vahibbie
20-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Commentator on the Wolves v Burnley game today suggested Fletcher was "another EPL striker that wasn't delivering as he should".

You have to wonder exactly why he didn't try harder to get his right foot working at Hibs. Did the coaches just ignore it or did Fletch no bother:confused:

GlesgaeHibby
21-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Fletch denied two stonewall penalties yesterday.

Bad Martini
21-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Sorry, these are the facts are they? Not a massively skewed set of figures you have conjured up to make sure Riordan looks better?

Firstly, Riordan has 83 Hibs goals as far as I can tell, what was your source for 87? 08-09 season Riordan took Hibs' penalties, do have the facts on how many of his goals came from the spot? I would bet at least two, which would give Fletch more from open play. Neither of those things actualy suggest Fletcher is the better goalscorer, but since we are dealing with the facts.

Since 2003? Why then? Is it because Riordan was an established first team player and Fletcher a youngster who was breaking through? How about this one:

SINCE 2006:

Riordan scored 27 goals in total
Fletcher scored 45 goals in total

As for Fletcher is a forward and Riordan isn't, I think every manager Fletcher has worked under has played him in midfield or on the wing. Most of his match time under Mowbray was in these areas, under Collins he would alternate between the centre of a 3 and one of the wide roles, Mixu mainly played him as a centre forward dropping deep and Coyle started the season using him out wide. He has even started on the left for Scotland.

While Riordan has often started out on the left he has always been given the license to drift and usually to ignore his defensive duties (although that has improved), often resulting in players like Fletcher last season dropping back to do his dirty work. While Riordan is nominally a midfielder sometimes and Fletcher a forward, Riordan is the one whose only focus is on goals.

Some other stats:

SCOTLAND CAPS:

Riordan - 3 caps (all in friendlies as sub)
Fletcher - 7 caps, 1 goals

TRANSFER FEES:

Riordan - £170,000 (not a big deal to Celtic, punted back 2 years later)
Fletcher - £3,000,000 + incentives (club record for Burnley)

Surely these facts suggest Fletcher is a better player?

You can use stats and figures to support either argument, the only thing that should really be used is your eyes. If you watch Fletcher playing against Arsenal, having a valid goal disallowed and generally putting in an excellent all round performance against Gallas and Vermaelen, and then watch Riordan in any game in the SPL, and still think Riordan is a better player, then I can give you the number of a very good optician.

I didny start the comparions with Riordan - I merely added the FACTS (which are the facts) as per what I could cobble together from various sauuuccess fi T'internet.

Bottom line, Riordan plays for Hibs. Fletcher doesny. I dont care aboot Fletcher - I only MENTIONED Riordan as somebody else had suggested Fletcher didnt get all the credit he deserved because he wasnt Riordan.

My point is, Fletcher didnt get all the credit he deserved NOT because he wasn't/isn't Riordan - its because he's not as good (IMHO - key being the M there)...

Yehp well done riordan has scored more goals than fletch :thumbsup:

makes him a better player? i think not.

watch each and every one of each of these guys games this year, riordan has been ordinary, yehp has scored some goals, and improved his tracking but hasnt set the heather alight in an ordinary spl.

Fletch on the other hand is taking the EPL by storm, scoring goals, had two pefectly good goals ruled out and still has 8 to his name, Fletch will have plenty of Scotland caps in future, will riordan? doubt it somehow,

but its finee he ran away, pissed on our club, came back with his tail between his legs and is some sort of legend :confused:

ill admit it i love when i see riordan scoring and kissing the badge but it doesnt make him any better a player and Fletch is at LEAST 3x the player riordan is, and will only get better, wont be at Burnley long anyway

As per the above post. I didnt turn this into the Fletcher V Riordan thread....I merely pointed out who's done what.

And as I said above, in MY opinion, as far as being the better all round player and contributor, Riordan has done more as per now.

Goals win games.

The final point I make, as others have made above - why didn't Fletcher show us this God like performance whilst at Easter Road???

Like I said, Fletcher was DECENT for us...he was never outstanding or perhaps, as oustanding as he could have maybe been and I firmly believe it's due to the fact his head was turned when someone mentioned Real Madrid.

Gingertosser
21-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Fletcher might have hated playing last season as much as we hated watching it.

Whatever, I'm impressed with how he has adapted to the game down south, I for one am surprised.

It can only be good for Hibs if other english teams start to take notice.

We will always be a selling team, so I'd rather it was down south than thro' west.

Just to point out, he has also had two perfectly fine strikes ruled out for offside.

And please stay away from any Riordan v Fletcher debates.
Its starting to sound a bit like the infirm arguing about Boyd v Larsson.