PDA

View Full Version : Hearts and Hibs approached over Ireland tournament

CorrieHibs
17-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Hearts and Hibs approached over Ireland tournament
HEARTS and Hibs have been approached about taking part in a "Celtic Cup" tournament in Ireland next July, which would form part of their pre-season preparations.

More... (http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hearts-and-Hibs-approached-over.5919482.jp)

Keith_M
17-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I was just about to post this.

I think, from a football point of view, it would really be an interesting idea. Unfortunately, there are elements in both of our supports that could make this rather an unsavoury experience.

What happens if the UVF branch of the Hearts supporters club and the Hibs Ned element were to both turn up for this? It could be a recipe for mayhem.

GreenCastle
17-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Platinum One....

The same company that organized the Barca game ?

Does jambo Gavin Hastings not work for them or ?

I was holding out for our tour to USA or China :greengrin

Sylar
17-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Platinum One....

The same company that organized the Barca game ?

Does jambo Gavin Hastings not work for them or ?

I was holding out for our tour to USA or China :greengrin

Surely you'll have other things on mind next summer? :wink:

sambajustice
17-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I was just about to post this.

I think, from a football point of view, it would really be an interesting idea. Unfortunately, there are elements in both of our supports that could make this rather an unsavoury experience.

What happens if the UVF branch of the Hearts supporters club and the Hibs Ned element were to both turn up for this? It could be a recipe for mayhem.

That happens everytime we play them anyway so what difference would it make?

Keith_M
17-12-2009, 11:24 AM
That happens everytime we play them anyway so what difference would it make?

It's bad enough when it's in Edinburgh but the harm to the clubs' reputation isn't something I think is worth it.

Plus, putting the UVF leaning element of the Hearts support in Ireland and the Wee Neds with less policing than an Edinburgh derby and that surely is a recipe for even more trouble than normal.

I'm not saying this would be the absolute definite result but it does worry me that it could happen. I personally think that the fun element that the Hibs support had in going over to Ireland recently could be removed.

GreenCastle
17-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Surely you'll have other things on mind next summer? :wink:

Good point :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
17-12-2009, 12:07 PM
At one time this would have been a great idea. A tour to Ireland and a bit of banter with the fans of Troubled Hearts.

As it stands, we are so far apart and the animosoty is so great that it might end in tears. Best to avoid it IMO.

Does Yogi not have contacts in Holland? I think a pre-season tour over there would be magic.

Bristolhibby
17-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Whats wrong with having a few fixtures aginsts Irish and English teams?

Stay well clear of getting Johnny Jambo involved.

I can see running aggro up and down Temple Bar.

J

CorrieHibs
17-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeh very true. Don't think it would be good thing. A certain element of our support are bad enough when we go down south to play. So going to Ireland with Hearts would be 10 times worse.

big-mo
17-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Because of the East stand redevelopment, I think all pre-season games will be away from ER. So anywhere sunny and cheap would do me.

Keith_M
17-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Because of the East stand redevelopment, I think all pre-season games will be away from ER. So anywhere sunny and cheap would do me.

:agree:

A pre-season tournament in the Costa Del Sol would do just fine...

:greengrin

Baader
17-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Don't want any Jambo ruining my holiday!

hfc rd
17-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Not a bad idea. Some good competitive games and the prospect of beating those yams in the final :greengrin.

SteveHFC
17-12-2009, 01:00 PM
What about a Pre-Season trip to Germany.

mim
17-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I'd be comfortable enough playing a tournament in Ireland with Hearts taking part, but I wouldn't fancy the same tournament in Northern Ireland. These good people are trying to put 'The Troubles' behind them. I'm sure the vast majority of fans of both clubs would be well enough behaved, but both clubs have a nasty element and the last thing Belfast needs is gangs of imported bigots rampaging round the streets.

Peevemor
17-12-2009, 01:01 PM
What about a Pre-Season trip to Germany.

Or Brittany as we did when Sauzee was still playing. :pray:

silverhibee
17-12-2009, 01:02 PM
At one time this would have been a great idea. A tour to Ireland and a bit of banter with the fans of Troubled Hearts.

As it stands, we are so far apart and the animosoty is so great that it might end in tears. Best to avoid it IMO.

Does Yogi not have contacts in Holland? I think a pre-season tour over there would be magic.

:top marks:greengrin

Phil MaGlass
17-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Pre season in Holland would be good,since Yogi and Rice travel regularly to Holland,it would be ideal and not expensive for travelling fans,the beers cheap enough and the flights are cheap,oh aye it would save me a few boab on travelling.

How about a poll?

superbam
17-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds great, but probably a better idea if hearts stayed at home.

Dinnae really fancy lots of hibs and hearts in dublin at the same time.

Quite fancy a pre-season in Holland :thumbsup:

JoeTortolanoFanClub
17-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I think some friendlies against EPL teams would be better preparation for our participation in the Champions League. :thumbsup:

joe breezy
17-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Might have been a good idea in 1955 :confused:

It would almost inevitably kick off

LancsHibs
17-12-2009, 03:26 PM
What about Malta? A cheap week in the sun :thumbsup: and a game against our Maltese namesakes:notworthy:

edit.. might not be able to make it as hopefully saving leave/money for Europa League next season:wink:

Sir David Gray
17-12-2009, 09:49 PM
:agree:

A pre-season tournament in the Costa Del Sol would do just fine...

:greengrin

Sounds good, we could maybe do a bit of scouting while we're there as well and identify some potential signings for the Jambos, since they love signing players from holiday resorts. There must be more Susos out there somewhere! :greengrin

Bristolhibby
17-12-2009, 09:55 PM
what about the fact we may well be playing in the early enumer of the Europa cup? Now there is a game worth taking seriously.

Baader
17-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Sounds good, we could maybe do a bit of scouting while we're there as well and identify some potential signings for the Jambos, since they love signing players from holiday resorts. There must be more Susos out there somewhere! :greengrin

Yes. I know a very good Tapas bar. The waiter service is first class, the way they weave in and out of the tables, at speed, is reminiscent of Juanjo.

greenlex
18-12-2009, 01:56 AM
It's a no go as we will be in pre qualifying fir the Champions league about that time I'm afraid.