PDA

View Full Version : NHC SFA Approach Utd for Levein

BigKev
16-12-2009, 08:45 PM
According to the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/16/craig-levein-scotland-manager-sfa?).

Happy with that? :agree:

Alex Trager
16-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, hopfully DU will go down in the ranks but as for scotland... don't think he's ready yet , so cant have it both ways

heretoday
16-12-2009, 08:53 PM
It's ridiculous. Okay CL would earn more money as Scotland manager but is he motivated by that? I don't think so.

What does the Scotland manager do all day by the way? Chase secretaries round the desks a la Sven? Go and watch games and note down players' names as likely internationals?

Phew! That's hard yakka!

bingo70
16-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not, he's never really achieved anything in management, improved an underachieving Utd team but even then they only finished a few points ahead of us last season and we were really bad.

IMO he's nowhere near as good as his reputation suggests, he's just an average/decent SPL manager IMO.

Keith_M
16-12-2009, 09:05 PM
If this is true, it just shows that the SFA have absolutely NO ambition whatsoever.

Smith was quoted in the papers today as saying that 80% of the enquiries about the job so far have been from non-Scots, many of whom had actually achieved things in the game. If that's true, and Levien is still their first choice, then I really do despair.

:bitchy:

bingo70
16-12-2009, 09:08 PM
If this is true, it just shows that the SFA have absolutely NO ambition whatsoever.

Smith was quoted in the papers today as saying that 80% of the enquiries about the job so far have been from non-Scots, many of whom had actually achieved things in the game. If that's true, and Levien is still their first choice, then I really do despair.

:bitchy:

Aye, but your forgetting, we had a foreign manager that failed once before, obviously that means all foreigners would be pish :wink:

Hibby 2005
16-12-2009, 09:14 PM
After watching DU's complete capitulation to the Huns last night I don't see what CL has to offer anyone.

Jim44
16-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't think there's anything significant in the SFA contacting D Utd about Levein. I'm sure I read a couple of weeks ago that they would be routinely in touch with a number of potential candidates and their clubs in due course. So what? They've now got round to talking to D Utd.. :dunno:

Spike Mandela
16-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I was informed today that CL sees the Scotland job as a route to the Premiership. Something that is unlikely to happen via Dundee Utd especially after his abortive attempts at Leicester.

ChrissyG1875
16-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Definitely, it would probably make 3rd a hell of a lot easier.

jacomo
16-12-2009, 10:25 PM
After watching DU's complete capitulation to the Huns last night I don't see what CL has to offer anyone.

To be fair, his teams usually compete, but at least once or twice every season, CL's team will turn in a shocking performance.

That's not great if you've only got 10 or matches in a campaign.

Still, Watty said we should hire him, the SFA are only doing as instructed. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if he went for it though... his feet are well under the table at the Arabs, and he must know that the Scotland job will come around again - we look for a new manager every two years.

hibeemark
16-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I think it's fair enough. My opinion of Levein has changed drastically since his days at Hearts - memories of constant bitchiness, and picking fights with Hibs' players and staff. He seems like a much more chilled out guy now, content with life and focusing his energies in a positive way (as long as you don't mention referees to him :take that).

Dundee Utd possibly seemed like a backward step after his disastrous stint at Leicester, but if anything it's given him a new lease of life. He now seems like someone who is interested in improving Scottish football at every level, and this, in my opinion, is what has made him favourite for the job.

The only downside I can see is that the Derek Riordans of this world are more than likely to play second fiddle to the Lee McCullochs in his selections.

Not that this doesn't happen already, but I felt genuinely inspired by what John Collins was saying after the Japan match, about reinventing Scotland as a footballing side. With Levein, I suspect we'll be scrapping away as usual, long high balls etc. His defences are usually as solid as they come, but defending hasn't really been Scotland's problem. Scoring goals has.

ballengeich
16-12-2009, 10:36 PM
To be fair, his teams usually compete, but at least once or twice every season, CL's team will turn in a shocking performance.

That's not great if you've only got 10 or matches in a campaign.

Still, Watty said we should hire him, the SFA are only doing as instructed. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if he went for it though... his feet are well under the table at the Arabs, and he must know that the Scotland job will come around again - we look for a new manager every two years.

Watty will be feeling less threatened after yesterday evening so may be less fulsome in his praise in future.

Being serious, I think CL's a good manager, but I'm concerned by his lack of experience outside Scotland. That doesn't just mean his time at Leicester - I'm referring to his limited number of games in European club competitions. He might turn out well, but I don't think he's such an outstanding candidate as some seem to.

Toaods
16-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Posted before, wont happen. Hes not interested.

IWasThere2016
16-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I was informed today that CL sees the Scotland job as a route to the Premiership. Something that is unlikely to happen via Dundee Utd especially after his abortive attempts at Leicester.

Yup - spot on.
I was told over a week ago that the job was his if he wanted it.

He faces an impossible task at Arabs going forward as they need to sell players and fan base is shrinking also.

I can see the balance of power in Dundee swinging to Dens in the next 2-3 years also.

IMHO he will stay with Arabs til the summer and then move into Scotland hotseat. Its win:win then for him and club (who need the compensation)

RIP
16-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Definitely, it would probably make 3rd a hell of a lot easier.

I'm not so sure

Billy Reid or Gus McPherson would make a reasonable job of it at Tannadice

The Harp Awakes
16-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I think Levein is the best candidate for the job. He would certainly take no cr@p from the suits at the SFA and would give them a well needed wake up call. The only concern I would have is how committed he would be to the job. I'm sure if any English Premiership Club came calling when he was Scotland Manager he would do a Ginger Judas & we wouldn't see him for dust.

Beefster
17-12-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm more surprised that Levein is allegedly on around £300k, on crowds of 6500, at Dundee United. Yet, United were begging for taxpayers' cash a month or two ago.

Steve20
17-12-2009, 06:20 AM
If I was Levein, I would not even entertain this. Better off sticking with Dundee Utd.

brydekirk
17-12-2009, 06:39 AM
according to the record they asked for permision yesterday:thumbsup:

Andy74
17-12-2009, 08:42 AM
according to the record they asked for permision yesterday:thumbsup:

As mentioned above they plan to speak to a number of people so no big deal at this stage.

Leithenhibby
17-12-2009, 09:02 AM
As mentioned above they plan to speak to a number of people so no big deal at this stage.

:agree: including Watty :yawn: WTF is that all about, I can see us getting him back in charge..:grr:

CorrieHibs
17-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I hope he doesn't get it. Whats he won in his managers career? Again no ambition from the SFA. He's never finished 3rd with united yet with a lot of money spent. They were only a few points better off than us last year and how p*sh were we. There are better managers than him out there. He's a average SPL manager at the most. Plus he is a jambo pri*k.

ArabHibee
17-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Yup - spot on.
I was told over a week ago that the job was his if he wanted it.

He faces an impossible task at Arabs going forward as they need to sell players and fan base is shrinking also.

I can see the balance of power in Dundee swinging to Dens in the next 2-3 years also.

IMHO he will stay with Arabs til the summer and then move into Scotland hotseat. Its win:win then for him and club (who need the compensation)

:bitchy: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :boo hoo:

bigstu
17-12-2009, 10:16 AM
i heard Rangers are interested in Levein :agree:

CorrieHibs
17-12-2009, 11:15 AM
i heard Rangers are interested in Levein :agree:

Hopefully:thumbsup:. He'll be another PLG

Hainan Hibs
17-12-2009, 12:13 PM
If what Gordon Smith said was true, that we would be "shocked" by some of the names on the list of candidates, people who had achieved something in the game, why are we pissing about with Levein?

He's done an alright job at United, but they haven't done anything special.