PDA

View Full Version : McCARTHY puts the noose round his own neck?

Toaods
15-12-2009, 07:21 PM
sheer bloody-mindedness or complete madness...:confused:

1915: BREAKING NEWS BBC 5 live report that Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has made 10 changes from the team that beat Spurs for the game at Old Trafford. I have no words...

JimBHibees
15-12-2009, 07:26 PM
sheer bloody-mindedness or complete madness...:confused:

1915: BREAKING NEWS BBC 5 live report that Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has made 10 changes from the team that beat Spurs for the game at Old Trafford. I have no words...

Can agree with it to a point in saving his players for games they have more chance of winning however Man U look anything but invincable at the moment and he will look silly if they get horsed 12-0.

hibsbollah
15-12-2009, 07:26 PM
He's obviously given up taking anything from the top 4 or 5 teams and is concentrating on the matches against the other bottom sides. I suppose it makes some sort of sense but just shows the gulf between the top 4 or 5 and the rest.

And the SPL gets called uncompetitive:yawn:

Best league in the world? No chance.

lucky
15-12-2009, 07:30 PM
He's obviously given up taking anything from the top 4 or 5 teams and is concentrating on the matches against the other bottom sides. I suppose it makes some sort of sense but just shows the gulf between the top 4 or 5 and the rest.

And the SPL gets called uncompetitive:yawn:

Best league in the world? No chance.

Hows that they just beat Spurs 1-0 on Saturday

KeithTheHibby
15-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Hopefully Berra is playing and suffers a demoralising humping the yam tit that he is...

givescotlandfreedom
15-12-2009, 07:48 PM
McCarthy should refund the fans who paid to see Wolves tonight as opposed to Wolves reserves. Talk about lack of ambition!

Franck is God
15-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I can see his point, his first team got beaten in the Carling cup earlier on this season by United's reserves, they have won their last couple of league matches and have a game this weekend at home against Burnley which if they are to stay up this year is a must win game.

Why risk players being injured or suspended during a game they are unlikely to win even at their best.

If we get to the end of the season and by some divine intervention we get into the Scottish Cup final I'd want Yogi to be making sure we have all of our best players fit and available for the game, if that means our youth team plays our last couple of league games then so be it.

Pretty sure I remember Jambo Jim doing the exact same thing leading up to the 98 cup final where they beat Rangers.

Phil D. Rolls
15-12-2009, 09:25 PM
McCarthy should refund the fans who paid to see Wolves tonight as opposed to Wolves reserves. Talk about lack of ambition!

Sorry, I can never remember, is that Calum or Wullie kicking the hat in your picture?

Cropley10
16-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I can never remember, is that Calum or Wullie kicking the hat in your picture?

But is he kicking a hat or just goose-stepping:confused:

The flange to the left of him in the black jacket gives me the creeps.

CB_NO3
16-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Wolves were 18/1 last night and where never going to win the game, even if they did put their full strenght team out. I still dont think he should have changed the whole team but maybe rested 4 or 5 of his best players. I bet the fans wont be complaining if they beat Burnley on Saturday and they move up 5 or 6 places in the league.

McSwanky
16-12-2009, 11:04 AM
That used to be a great tactic in old Fooball Manager type games. Used to always put all the dross in for the cup games to give my decent players a rest. Got absolutely horsed but all my first team were nice and fresh for the next league game.

1875godsgift
16-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I thought it was Ronnie Corbett

Hakim Sar
16-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Hows that they just beat Spurs 1-0 on Saturday

Spurs are the over rated media darlings of the league and completely out of man u's league. crooked 'arry can do no wrong but results like this only serve to 'shock' morons like motty and lineker who have been clamouring for spurs to become big time for years.

And yes I do have an agenda against spuds but they ain't close to Chelsea united or arsenal in the slightest.

Toaods
16-12-2009, 12:41 PM
seems the Wolves fans were not too chuffed at last night's game, calling for a refund of their cash (min ticket £40).

Just Jimmy
16-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Thw Premier League board have asked wolves to explain their team selection. Bit of a farce, why are United or Arsenal never hauled to task over the fact they treat the League cup with utter contempt for example.

Media hype and an easy club to make an example off.

CB_NO3
16-12-2009, 01:14 PM
There is a rule stating you must play your strongest possible team, am not sure if it applies to the carling cup but that is the EPL rules. Its a crazy rule, how do you justify who your strongest team is, and it should be up to the club who they want to play. I think what McCarthy has done is sort of acceptable, saying that I would be gutted if I had paid £40 for a ticket.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-12-2009, 03:18 PM
In terms of credibility where will he be left if Wolves don't beat Burnley? Owen Coyle must be telling his troops that Wolves see them as three points to be had. McCarthy must take his arguement to the logical conclusion however and that would be to always play a fringe team away from home or play fringe teams at home when sides like Man U come calling.

Wotherspiniesta
16-12-2009, 03:51 PM
The Wolves fans need a reality check. They just beat Spurs away from Home on Saturday and are playing again just 3 days later. A lot of teams will have rotated their teams last night and have the strength in depth to have it go unnoticed. McCarthy is doing a decent job with the squad he has and he knows the EPL is a marathon and not a sprint. They have a much more winnable game coming up at the weekend V Burnley and I doubt the (slighlty injured plagued) Wolves first team would have got much change out of a Man United team ,who were looking to take their frustration out after getting beat at the weekend, anyway. I can understand the fans anger at having to spend the money to go watch what wasn't their strongest team, but watching the guy on Sky Sports saying he will be going to Jez Moxey to get his money back is just laughable. Let the manager get on with his job.

hibeemark
16-12-2009, 04:10 PM
There is a rule stating you must play your strongest possible team, am not sure if it applies to the carling cup but that is the EPL rules. Its a crazy rule, how do you justify who your strongest team is, and it should be up to the club who they want to play. I think what McCarthy has done is sort of acceptable, saying that I would be gutted if I had paid £40 for a ticket.

Yeah, I think we can all understand McCarthy's reasoning behind his selection - the gulf in finance/class between the top four and the bottom is so enormous, that it makes perfect sense to concentrate on the games you have a better chance of winning and the "six-pointers", instead of running key players into the ground vs the likes of Man Utd. This is Wolves' livelihood in the EPL we're talking about, after all.

However, the problem I have is that if you condone this kind of behaviour, then you are effectively saying it is okay for teams in the bottom half to "lie down" to stronger opposition. I think this would be a worrying situation, because (as with the Old Firm in the SPL) the top four in England spend most of their season playing against inferior opposition, and it is often the points dropped against these that make all the difference come the end of the campaign. If the smaller teams aren't even going to try to be competitive with Man Utd etc, why bother with a 20 team EPL?

Obviously, the stakes are much lower in Scotland, but can you imagine if Falkirk and Kilmarnock decided they would only play reserve sides against the Old Firm, in order to concentrate on avoiding relegation? We'd be raging this season - I know I'd probably be thinking "Hibs might've split the Old Firm/won the league if those wee teams hadn't bottled it".

New Corrie
16-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Much that I like Mick McCarthey, I think he's got this one wrong as he has now put himself under huge pressure with the upcoming games against "lesser" opposition. Wolves had better win them or poor Mick will end up looking a bit silly.

lucky
16-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I think we can all understand McCarthy's reasoning behind his selection - the gulf in finance/class between the top four and the bottom is so enormous, that it makes perfect sense to concentrate on the games you have a better chance of winning and the "six-pointers", instead of running key players into the ground vs the likes of Man Utd. This is Wolves' livelihood in the EPL we're talking about, after all.

However, the problem I have is that if you condone this kind of behavior, then you are effectively saying it is okay for teams in the bottom half to "lie down" to stronger opposition. I think this would be a worrying situation, because (as with the Old Firm in the SPL) the top four in England spend most of their season playing against inferior opposition, and it is often the points dropped against these that make all the difference come the end of the campaign. If the smaller teams aren't even going to try to be competitive with Man Utd etc, why bother with a 20 team EPL?

Obviously, the stakes are much lower in Scotland, but can you imagine if Falkirk and Kilmarnock decided they would only play reserve sides against the Old Firm, in order to concentrate on avoiding relegation? We'd be raging this season - I know I'd probably be thinking "Hibs might've split the Old Firm/won the league if those wee teams hadn't bottled it".

Thats a sensible and logical post, as you have only posted 12 times don't you know you cant do that! how else are we going get to call you a Yam and hound you away. You will have upset the 5000 PLUS POSTERS ON HERE

Toaods
16-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Thats a sensible and logical post, as you have only posted 12 times don't you know you cant do that! how else are we going get to call you a Yam and hound you away. You will have upset the 5000 PLUS POSTERS ON HERE

regular tactic....it's known as the 'get a foot in the door without doing anything too outspokent' post. :faf:

I Love Lamp
17-12-2009, 11:03 AM
It's not a league at all if teams don't even try to beat each other.

--------
17-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I can see his point, his first team got beaten in the Carling cup earlier on this season by United's reserves, they have won their last couple of league matches and have a game this weekend at home against Burnley which if they are to stay up this year is a must win game.

Why risk players being injured or suspended during a game they are unlikely to win even at their best.

The Wolves fans need a reality check. They just beat Spurs away from Home on Saturday and are playing again just 3 days later. A lot of teams will have rotated their teams last night and have the strength in depth to have it go unnoticed. McCarthy is doing a decent job with the squad he has and he knows the EPL is a marathon and not a sprint. They have a much more winnable game coming up at the weekend V Burnley and I doubt the (slighlty injured plagued) Wolves first team would have got much change out of a Man United team ,who were looking to take their frustration out after getting beat at the weekend, anyway. I can understand the fans anger at having to spend the money to go watch what wasn't their strongest team, but watching the guy on Sky Sports saying he will be going to Jez Moxey to get his money back is just laughable. Let the manager get on with his job.

:agree: This is common sense - even at their best Wolves were highly unlikely (to say the least) to get even a point at Old Trafford. The football authorities in England don't question Manchester Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal over team selection when they leave first-choice players out prior to Champions' League matches, or field weakened teams in cup ties against lower-league opposition.

Who's to say that the players left out weren't showing signs of weariness, or carrying minor knocks? It's McCarthy's call after all.

McCarthy has been totally realistic about his job this season every time he's been interviewed - he needs to end the season in at worst fourth-bottom place. That's success, relegation is failure.

What McCarthy has to do now - and this is the tricky bit - is get at least a point against Burnley at the weekend....

crewetollhibee
17-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Problem for McCarthy later in the season, of course, is that it gives other teams carte blanche to field weaker teams against his relegation competitors. He would have to bite his tongue then.

sesoim
17-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I think this will cost Wolves. Last season Martin O'Neill left out most of his team for their UEFA Cup tie, Aston Villa got put out, and they went on a bad run for the rest of the season.

These kind of decisions can seriously damage the goodwill a manager builds up with the fans and affect team spirit. You can't pick and choose which games to try in when fans are paying loads of money to watch.

Woody1985
17-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Managers should be able to play any team they want from their squad. Perhaps you shouldn't come out and say your regular first team squad isn't good enough so what's the point but if you keep your reasons to yourself then there should be no problem.

There was a big deal made out of it last season when Man U did it Vs Hull so to say that no one questions it is wrong.

The only way to combat this would be to restrict teams to say 16/18 squad players. You would then be forced to play most of your best players.