PDA

View Full Version : Are Notts County the new Yams?

iwasthere1972
15-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Hans Backe set to leave Notts County according to SSN.

Ritchie
15-12-2009, 10:56 AM
he's away. on ssn now.

another circus :rolleyes:

stu in nottingham
15-12-2009, 11:52 AM
One of the many problems at Notts County is that there has been too much talk of 'five-year plans', Premiership football and ridiculous mega-star signings. At the same time there has not been enough evidence of rolling up the sleeves and winning three points in each Saturday afternoon as it comes along. This has endeared them to no one.

I don’t think many of the great Nottingham footballing public (from either side) were under any great illusions about Sven’s ceaseless quest for the filthy lucre. There could never by any much other great motivation for him washing up at Notts County, despite protestations about ‘the project’ etc.

I think what has to always be born in mind here though is that Notts have quite regularly been in a perilous state over the past decade. Their fans haven’t seen them splash more than ten grand on a footballer in all that time. It could be argued that they had little to lose with the surfacing of this Munto mob and Svennis. They were going nowhere but concievably out of the business. the Football League anyway.

Recent news mentions Peter Trembling’s ‘buyout’ for a quid and this is where it becomes even more confounding and confusing to me. There are statements coming out about ‘new investors’ subsidising the club in Munto’s supposed absence (and I’m not convinced about the latter either!) Some reports state there may have been a further investigation into Munto Finance imminent and it has been put forward that Trembling’s takeover is but a front. I have no idea about that but what I do know is that retaining Sven. Backe and to some extent an expensive signing such as the goalie Kasper Schmeichel will take a lot of money and a lot of replacement investment to cover it.

My best guess it that Sven will hang around just long enough to:

a. get what’s owed to him and

b. sell the club to new buyers by using his name.

I feel a bit sorry for genuine Notts County fans who have had an awful lot to put up with over the years.

As for Trembling, well the spin keeps on coming regarding the Premiership etc. Personally I think he’s made of straw. Ultimately though, espeically with all the (sometimes negative admittedly) publicity, I wonder if the football club is going to be a lot worse off than it ever was…

Mikey
15-12-2009, 11:58 AM
........... I wonder if the football club is going to be a lot worse off than it ever was…

It's a pattern that's developing. We can see it on our own doorstep. Portsmouth too.

In a lot of cases the fans are their own worst enemies as they won't admit it.

stu in nottingham
15-12-2009, 12:16 PM
It's a pattern that's developing. We can see it on our own doorstep. Portsmouth too.

In a lot of cases the fans are their own worst enemies as they won't admit it.

I think notwithstanding H*arts' stadium problems etc pre-Romanov, they were in quite a different state to Notts though Mikey. Apart from the (ailing) business side of things the Magpies were one afternoon away from relegation from the Football League and had spent little more than buttons on a player in a long, long time.

There are two types of Notts 'fans' currently it seems to me. the dogged individuals that have stuck by their team through thin and thin and the 'glory hunters' that any team in their recent position would gain. Looking at the crowds there have not been all that many of the latter though.

The earlier poster called it right, it is a 'circus' Perhaps for this time of year a pantomime might be more appropriate though. 'It's Munto Finance!' (Boo hiss).

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2009, 12:17 PM
And what role are the governing bodies playing in all this as club go out of business?

What is the point in having them if they stand by and do not put safeguards in place to at least minimise the impact?

As I've said before I envisage when/if the walls come tumbling down on the heads of the "big boys" they will step in, mop up by turning a blind eye and waivering penalties leaving the others trailing in their wake asking :wtf:

Its time they took a stand but they wont. The warning signs were there from Italy with Lazio and Sampdoria(?) nobody is infallible. Billionaires are by nature pretty much money men football is just a means to an end to be used and discarded as appropriate.

They talk about corrections in the market. I think football is due one. Just looks like its not reached the top echelons yet. But once it does will it be like watching dominoes topple I wonder (relatively speaking)?

stu in nottingham
15-12-2009, 12:19 PM
And what role are the governing bodies playing in all this as club go out of business?

What is the point in having them if they stand by and do not put safeguards in place to at least minimise the impact?

As I've said before I envisage when/if the walls come tumbling down on the heads of the "big boys" they will step in, mop up by turning a blind eye and waivering penalties leaving the others trailing in their wake asking :wtf:

Its time they took a stand but they wont. The warning signs were there from Italy with Lazio and Sampdoria(?) nobody is infallible. Billionaires are by nature pretty much money men football is just a means to an end to be used and discarded as appropriate.

They talk about corrections in the market. I think football is due one. Just looks like its not reached the top echelons yet. But once it does will it be like watching dominoes topple I wonder (relatively speaking)?

Extremely good points.

Tranent Hibby
15-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I for one hope Notts County fall flat on their a##e , after the shameful way they treated Tranents very own and good Hibby Pumper McParland.

Suckered the fans trust into handing over what little power they had and emptied a first class manager to get a NAME in.

stu in nottingham
15-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I for one hope Notts County fall flat on their a##e , after the shameful way they treated Tranents very own and good Hibby Pumper McParland.

Suckered the fans trust into handing over what little power they had and emptied a first class manager to get a NAME in.

I agree with our sentiments re Pumper. He's a good man, (possibly too good for Notts County). Always had a lot of admiration for him as a player and a manager.

Here's wot I rote at the time...

Notts County – Nott$watch: The Sad Incidence of Ian McParland’s Departure (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/notts-county-nottwatch-the-sad-incidence-of-ian-mcparlands-departure/)

I honestly think he's way better off out of it. A good man and a good Hibby.

Tranent Hibby
15-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Great article Stu just about sums up thw whole sorry situation. Pumper it seems as had his skills recognised and its no coincedence that Ipswich results have improved over the past few weeks.