Speedway
15-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Apologies if I've missed it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8402238.stm

therealgavmac
15-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Apologies if I've missed it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8402238.stm

"The pictures of Michael Stewart disappearing up the tunnel in the wake of his ordering off, aiming a kick at a water bottle and spectacularly crashing in quite the most special impersonation of Norman Wisdom I have seen in some time, summed it all up: at the moment Hearts can't even do anger properly."
:greengrin

Dipped flake
15-12-2009, 11:15 AM
As usual everything Chic Young comes out with is total garbage but he does seem to have a real thing about Hearts at the moment. I thought the funniest bit in his latest ramblings was
'How can they possibly consider an appeal against his dismissal? It will cost a bond of £1,000 to present his case. They would be better advised to put it on the first favourite at Musselburgh.'

tough luck Chico....

Steve20
15-12-2009, 11:20 AM
He was right, though. That red card should never have been rescinded.

Cropley10
15-12-2009, 12:42 PM
He was right, though. That red card should never have been rescinded.

Completely agree. More by luck than judgement he missed the player. Intent is all that is required in football and IMHO his conduct was violent.

steve75
15-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Am I the only hibs fans that thinks what stewart done was a yellow? He only really barged into him with no realy force, and no contact with the face. If it was a hibs player I'd be expecting a yellow.

Other than that, nice little read that clearly shows how everyone with half a brain feels about hearts, a joke.

gillythehibby
15-12-2009, 01:47 PM
As usual everything Chic Young comes out with is total garbage but he does seem to have a real thing about Hearts at the moment. I thought the funniest bit in his latest ramblings was
'How can they possibly consider an appeal against his dismissal? It will cost a bond of £1,000 to present his case. They would be better advised to put it on the first favourite at Musselburgh.'

tough luck Chico....

Mind you, at least you would get a run for yer money with the favourite :devil:

CallumLaidlaw
15-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Am I the only hibs fans that thinks what stewart done was a yellow? He only really barged into him with no realy force, and no contact with the face. If it was a hibs player I'd be expecting a yellow.

Other than that, nice little read that clearly shows how everyone with half a brain feels about hearts, a joke.

You might be. I thought he threw a punch, but luckily missed. Players get sent off all the time these days for a tackle that shows "intent". This was no different

Phil D. Rolls
15-12-2009, 02:32 PM
IMO, someone as ugly as Michael should be on a yellow card before going on to the pitch. It's only right. :agree:

lapsedhibee
15-12-2009, 02:37 PM
You might be. I thought he threw a punch, but luckily missed. Players get sent off all the time these days for a tackle that shows "intent". This was no different

:agree:

Did relegation-haunted Hearts actually put in an appeal though? The matter seemed to be done and dusted incredibly quickly, and suddenly (after no more than a bit of minimal press bleating about the "nine games" that Hertz players were going to miss) Stewart was available to play in the next no-score draw after all.

Phil D. Rolls
15-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Did relegation-haunted Hearts actually put in an appeal though? The matter seemed to be done and dusted incredibly quickly, and suddenly (after no more than a bit of minimal press bleating about the "nine games" that Hertz players were going to miss) Stewart was available to play in the next no-score draw after all.

Troubled Hearts certainly don't have their problems to seek, and further confrontation with football's big wigs would surely have seen the Gorgie Giants succumb to further sanctions.

Like babies in a pram, the West Edinburgh strugglers are powerless to resist the ravages of their bigger siblings in the West (of Scotland), and must sit back powerless as all their hard earned candy is spirited away by a wee boy who offered to look after their car, faster than you can say "a chocolate slider and a boatil ay ginger".

hibbie02
15-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Aye and they think that there is a conspiracy against them by the Blazers..... If there was one, Stewart's red would have stood regardless. And BTW as I said before they were never going to be without players for 9 games. 3 games max as they would lose a couple suspended in each game.

lapsedhibee
15-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Aye and they think that there is a conspiracy against them by the Blazers..... If there was one, Stewart's red would have stood regardless. And BTW as I said before they were never going to be without players for 9 games. 3 games max as they would lose a couple suspended in each game.

I think that nice Ogilvy Campbell must have had a word with his chums in the West to save tragic Hearts the £1000 fee, which they couldn't afford to owe.

bawheid
15-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I was disappointed to open this thread and find it didn't relate to a story involving snooker player Dung Junhui laughing in spotty yam Stephen Hendry's face about the hilarious plight of relegation-certainties HMFC.

Then I remembered his name was Ding and not Dung and it all made sense.

Phil D. Rolls
16-12-2009, 10:10 AM
It would be interesting if someone could post some of the pro-Yam things that Chic and is pals were writing a couple of years back. IIRC the whole Scottish media core were creaming themselves about Romanov when he arrived.

How else do you explain the standard throwaway remark "apart from maybe Hearts", when discussing the top teams in the SPL.

eg "there is no-one outside the top two who can mount any sort of challenge - apart from maybe Hearts".

"There are only two clubs of any size in Scotland, apart from maybe Hearts".

"I can only name two Scottish club sides apart from maybe Hearts"

etc

Dipped flake
16-12-2009, 11:15 AM
It would be interesting if someone could post some of the pro-Yam things that Chic and is pals were writing a couple of years back. IIRC the whole Scottish media core were creaming themselves about Romanov when he arrived.

How else do you explain the standard throwaway remark "apart from maybe Hearts", when discussing the top teams in the SPL.

eg "there is no-one outside the top two who can mount any sort of challenge - apart from maybe Hearts".

"There are only two clubs of any size in Scotland, apart from maybe Hearts".

"I can only name two Scottish club sides apart from maybe Hearts"

etc
A few years ago Hearts were the only team with a chance of breaking the OF monopoly so we got loads of publicity. We blew that chance bigtime and are now paying the price.

bawheid
16-12-2009, 11:37 AM
A few years ago Hearts were the only team with a chance of breaking the OF monopoly so we got loads of publicity. We blew that chance bigtime and are now paying the price.

Yeah, 1986 was a tough time for you guys.

You also had a chance in 2005 and blew that one bigtime as well by sacking Burley.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, 1986 was a tough time for you guys.

You also had a chance in 2005 and blew that one bigtime as well by sacking Burley.

:confused: What happened in '86? :dunno:

Did the fuds come close?

basehibby
16-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Completely agree. More by luck than judgement he missed the player. Intent is all that is required in football and IMHO his conduct was violent.

:agree: Indeed - Stewart clearly took a swing at the guy and it was only down to him being such a useless fud that he missed - the SFA have clearly displayed how full of kak the conspiracy peddlars at Tynie really are by letting them off this time when they clearly shouldn't have.

bawheid
16-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Did the fuds come close?

Ha ha, you not heard this one Matty? You'll enjoy this..

Hertz had a pretty decent season in 85/86 it has to be said. They huffed and puffed their way to a rather long unbeaten run which had taken them to the top of the league going into the final match of the season. They needed a draw at Dens Park to secure the League Championship. Even if they were beaten, Celtic needed a cricket score at Love Street. The yams travelled in numbers, t-shirts and flags already printed.

Things didn't really go according to plan though. A flu bug had swept through the Hertz camp in the week preceding the game, and many of the players huffed and puffed even more than normal. To make matters worse, Celtic were racking up the required cricket score, helped no doubt by a few of the more "Celtic-minded" St Mirren players. Not to worry though, it was still 0-0 at Dens and only seven minutes remained.

That was until Dundee substitute Albert Kidd popped up with the two late goals required to take Dundee FC into Europe. Unfortunately it also cost Hertz the league title, much to their fans anguish. I believe it still rankles to this day.

A week later they played Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup final and lost 3-0. It was a tough week for the Hertz, as Dipped Flake aluded to.

I'm sure other posters may have some pictures of that fateful day at Dens Park. It would be rather cruel to post them though.

Hope this helps. :aok:

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Hertz had a pretty decent season in 85/86 it has to be said. They huffed and puffed their way to a rather long unbeaten run which had taken them to the top of the league going into the final match of the season. They needed a draw at Dens Park to secure the League Championship. Even if they were beaten, Celtic needed a cricket score at Love Street. The yams travelled in numbers, t-shirts and flags already printed.

Things didn't really go according to plan though. A flu bug had swept through the Hertz camp in the week preceding the game, and many of the players huffed and puffed even more than normal. To make matters worse, Celtic were racking up the required cricket score, helped no doubt by a few of the more "Celtic-minded" St Mirren players. Not to worry though, it was still 0-0 at Dens and only seven minutes remained.

That was until Dundee substitute Albert Kidd popped up with the two late goals required to take Dundee FC into Europe. Unfortunately it also cost Hertz the league title, much to their fans anguish. I believe it still rankles to this day.

A week later they played Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup final and lost 3-0. It was a tough week for the Hertz, as Dipped Flake aluded to.

I'm sure other posters may have some pictures of that fateful day at Dens Park. It would be rather cruel to post them though.

I believe there might even be a video of this on You Tube...

matty_f
16-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Sounds brilliant. I really hope nobody posts pictures, or even a YouTube clip of any of it.

bawheid
16-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Oops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

matty_f
16-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Oops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

Nightmare!:bitchy:

They must have been gutted - probably still hurting to this day.

In fact, I'm sure there must be an account from one of the players of the day, probably greeting as they recalled it.

I hope nobody finds that!!

Phil D. Rolls
16-12-2009, 04:14 PM

It stemmed from the whole "third force" propaganda in the Mercer era. Hearts taked of themselves in those terms so often that it stuck in the feeble minds of people in the west coast media. (IMO, as a neutral observer).

I remember Owen Coyle talking about Dunfermline's chances if promoted to the SPL (for that was his team at the time). He said the usual stuff about the premier league being the same as D1 apart from the OF, and maybe Hearts.

Hearts were seventh in the league at the time.

Nightmare!:bitchy:

They must have been gutted - probably still hurting to this day.

In fact, I'm sure there must be an account from one of the players of the day, probably greeting as they recalled it.

I hope nobody finds that!!

IIRC there was also a rather fat gentleman who forced his way into the group of players and tried - rather poorly - to wave a Hearts scarf above his head. I'm sure nobody else remembers this.

hibbybrian
16-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Did the fuds come close?

Hibernian did their best to ensure the League Championship came to Edinburgh by losing 3 games out of 4 - however the Yams failed to score in the 0-0 November 1985 Derby thus all our efforts to assist them were in vain and they ultimately lost the Championship through their failure to score at Easter Road :grr: :greengrin

Barney McGrew
16-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Did the fuds come close?

Yes, but it was all St Mirren's fault

matty_f
16-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Hibernian did their best to ensure the League Championship came to Edinburgh by losing 3 games out of 4 - however the Yams failed to score in the 0-0 November 1985 Derby thus all our efforts to assist them were in vain and they ultimately lost the Championship through their failure to score at Easter Road :grr: :greengrin

Petrie!!:grr:

Yes, but it was all St Mirren's fault

Of course it was - reading between the lines, my initial thoughts were that if anyone was going to pull a fast one and chuck it, the Yams were the only ones that could do it. Isn't it right, after all, that by simply avoiding defeat they'd have won the league?

Damn those Saints, though. Damn them straight to Hell.

Barney McGrew
16-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Isn't it right, after all, that by simply avoiding defeat they'd have won the league?

Apparently so.

Even more embarrassingly for them, if they'd managed to beat the wee team earlier in the season they'd have won it too.

Nae luck eh?

bawheid
16-12-2009, 07:31 PM
For anyone that doesn't know, what made it worse for Hearts was that they lost the league on goal difference. This was a system they petitioned for after losing the league to Kilmarnock in the 1960s on the old system of goal average. Had goal average still been the method used to differentiate between teams on equal points in 1986, Hearts would have won the league.

Oh well...

matty_f
16-12-2009, 07:33 PM
For anyone that doesn't know, what made it worse for Hearts was that they lost the league on goal difference. This was a system they petitioned for after losing the league to Kilmarnock in the 1960s on the old system of goal average. Had goal average still been the method used to differentiate between teams on equal points in 1986, Hearts would have won the league.

Oh well...

That must have been a sore one to take. Sorry if this has been mentioned in an earlier post, but I'm hoping their pain was eased somewhat by a win in the Cup Final that year?:dunno:

bawheid
16-12-2009, 07:35 PM
That must have been a sore one to take. Sorry if this has been mentioned in an earlier post, but I'm hoping their pain was eased somewhat by a win in the Cup Final that year?:dunno:

A cup win would certainly have helped Matty, unfortunately as previously posted they lost the final 3-0 to Aberdeen the following week.

Losing the league and the cup in the space of one week. Ouch.

You'd think given the heartache this has caused them down the years that they wouldn't want to talk about it. Strange that Dipped Flake brought it all up again on this very thread.

matty_f
16-12-2009, 07:38 PM
A cup win would certainly have helped Matty, unfortunately as previously posted they lost the final 3-0 to Aberdeen the following week.

Losing the league and the cup in the space of one week. Ouch.

You'd think given the heartache this has caused them down the years that they wouldn't want to talk about it. Strange that Dipped Flake brought it all up again on this very thread.

Not that strange, when you think about it. Pain like that would be felt for years.

I'm just hoping - for their sake - that nobody found it hilarious at the time (or even after all these years).

bawheid
16-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Not that strange, when you think about it. Pain like that would be felt for years.

I'm just hoping - for their sake - that nobody found it hilarious at the time (or even after all these years).

I'm afraid Matty I have to report that even after twenty three and a half years, I still find it funny as ****. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
16-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Some double act men, keep up the good work! :top marks

Sorry about this - hope you don't mind questions from the audience - IIRC a certain Gary "Nostradamus" MacKay was playing for Struggling Hearts that day. believe he also featured in their plucky cup final performance.

Can you tell me if he was to make up for this disappointment with loads of medals in the remainder of his career? I'm sure he must have.

bawheid
16-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Sorry about this - hope you don't mind questions from the audience - IIRC a certain Gary "Nostradamus" MacKay was playing for Struggling Hearts that day. believe he also featured in their plucky cup final performance.

Can you tell me if he was to make up for this disappointment with loads of medals in the remainder of his career? I'm sure he must have.

You'd have thought a relatively young MacKay would have gone on to bag a bucketload of medals following his "MITA" disappointment in 1986.

Sadly, it wasn't to be, and Gary's biggest footballing achievement to date remains his instrumental role in bringing Vladimir Romanov to Hearts' rescue in 2005.

Bostonhibby
16-12-2009, 08:50 PM

I thought he said "maybe Hearts" are your lot maybe Hearts, or the other Hearts that owe all the money and are owned, or not, by the ballroom dancing boxing submariner? :confused:

Bostonhibby
16-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Eureka, is that what happened, always wondered - I thought the greetin faces that we often see in avatars etc had something to do with someone giving them a nostradamus like view into the future, probably some time in 2010

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Jeezo, you learn something new every day.:top marks:devil:

Biggie
16-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Never tire of seeing that 2nd goal by kidd....absolute beauty and at the yams end too....nice one sir albert:thumbsup:

Mixu62
16-12-2009, 11:42 PM
You'd have thought a relatively young MacKay would have gone on to bag a bucketload of medals following his "MITA" disappointment in 1986.

Sadly, it wasn't to be, and Gary's biggest footballing achievement to date remains his instrumental role in bringing Vladimir Romanov to Hearts' rescue in 2005.

I've been away from Auld Reekie for a few years and not been keeping up with the news. Can anyone tell me how that nice Lithuanian chap is getting on? When I left, they were talking about Champions League, World Cup stars and a new stand.

ballengeich
16-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I've been away from Auld Reekie for a few years and not been keeping up with the news. Can anyone tell me how that nice Lithuanian chap is getting on? When I left, they were talking about Champions League, World Cup stars and a new stand.

A few are still talking. The FIFA World Club Championship is on just now so you'll probably be able to see the Hearts team on BBC Scotland.

dangermouse
17-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Disappointing for him indeed. What about the Dundee goalscorer, Kidd I think his name was. Did he pick up any awards that season or was he left empty handed as well?