PDA

View Full Version : Andy Webster and loan Deals

rainman
14-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Was reading Craig Levein's comments on Andy Webster. He mentioned that Rangers won't be recalling him because Levein had spoken to Walter Smith and Smith had said he was happy to offer him to Dundee United so that he could get 40+ games under his belt. In Levein's words, "He'll get a better player back."

Personally, i'm glad hibs don't take too many players on loan. It's one thing bringing somebody up from England or overseas that can do a job for a season but getting a hun fit for next season without a sell on fee would be a bit galling IMO.

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Personally, i'm glad hibs don't take too many players on loan. It's one thing bringing somebody up from England or overseas that can do a job for a season but getting a hun fit for next season without a sell on fee would be a bit galling IMO.

I agree. As well as just giving him match-fitness for Rangers to make cash they won't be allowed to play him tomorrow night.

sixtwo
14-12-2009, 05:58 PM
It's a good move for rangers. They get a player off the wage bill but he is also in the shop window and might still generate a fee for the club. An added bonus for them is DUFC will have a stronger team that can take points off their title challengers but when it comes to playing Rangers, they are forced to effectively weaken their side!

If hibs were to get any player on loan, I would like him to come from another league. Preferably the premiership!

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 06:02 PM
It's a good move for rangers. They get a player off the wage bill but he is also in the shop window and might still generate a fee for the club. An added bonus for them is DUFC will have a stronger team that can take points off their title challengers but when it comes to playing Rangers, they are forced to effectively weaken their side!

If hibs were to get any player on loan, I would like him to come from another league. Preferably the premiership!

He isnt off the wage bill though, Rangers are still paying the vast majority of his wages. What I have heard is that rangers may be forced into getting him back or, there prefered option selling him. The powers at rangers dont see the point of paying a players wages if he isnt at the club.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Cant for the life of me understand why they send him to play at Dundee, yet still play grandad Weir?

Dibben
14-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Loan deals between clubs in the same league should be banned! IMHO at least!

BH.

sixtwo
14-12-2009, 07:31 PM
He isnt off the wage bill though, Rangers are still paying the vast majority of his wages. What I have heard is that rangers may be forced into getting him back or, there prefered option selling him. The powers at rangers dont see the point of paying a players wages if he isnt at the club.

I have just spent the last 5 mins laughing at your avatar! :thumbsup: I should know better but i found it hilarious!

Back to the point though. I reckon if Rangers were paying the vast majority of his wages, they would have recalled him when they were struggling for defensive cover with bougherra gone AWOL.

I suspect DUFC will be covering 60-70% of his wage!

PeterboroHibee
14-12-2009, 07:45 PM
This is a quality loan for United though, theres no way they could get a player like Webster to sign a permanent deal.

Yeah they will lose him at the end of the season, but hes arguably one of the best CBs in the league, some would argue the best (not me but know people who love him). Okay he cant play against Rangers, but thats 4 league games a season, if he plays the rest he could be the difference in them getting 3rd/4th/whatever.

Its also ridiculous by Rangers. Get him fit, and alongside Bougherra at the back, and really doubt they would concede many goals, yet Smith was happy to loan him out. Strange imo, even if they rumours about them not getting on are true.

rainman
14-12-2009, 08:09 PM
This is a quality loan for United though, theres no way they could get a player like Webster to sign a permanent deal.

Yeah they will lose him at the end of the season, but hes arguably one of the best CBs in the league, some would argue the best (not me but know people who love him). Okay he cant play against Rangers, but thats 4 league games a season, if he plays the rest he could be the difference in them getting 3rd/4th/whatever.

Its also ridiculous by Rangers. Get him fit, and alongside Bougherra at the back, and really doubt they would concede many goals, yet Smith was happy to loan him out. Strange imo, even if they rumours about them not getting on are true.

It may be a decent loan signing but where does it leave United?

Levein seems to have an eye for a player and could probably carry on bringing in loan players indefinately but they'll come unstuck at some point

While Hibs are building a team, getting guys like Stokes and Miller on 2/3 year deals with a view to getting a settled team and then selling them on, United are starting again every year (or even 6 months). Weaver, Flood, Webster etc leave and they need to bring somebody else in. No money made from sell ons, nothing really achieved other than 4th or 5th place. No cups won.

HFC 0-7
14-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I have just spent the last 5 mins laughing at your avatar! :thumbsup: I should know better but i found it hilarious!

Back to the point though. I reckon if Rangers were paying the vast majority of his wages, they would have recalled him when they were struggling for defensive cover with bougherra gone AWOL.

The loan deal was guranteed until January when he first moved. I heard from a source close to rangers at the time that walter was very unsure of Websters abilities and because of his injuries wanted him elsewhere. I suppose from walters point, if he didnt fancy him, he might as well get someone else paying part of his rather than not playing him and paying him.

You may be right though as I dont know the facts, just know someone that used to work for them on their media side.

PeterboroHibee
14-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Levein seems to have an eye for a player and could probably carry on bringing in loan players indefinately but they'll come unstuck at some point

While Hibs are building a team, getting guys like Stokes and Miller on 2/3 year deals with a view to getting a settled team and then selling them on, United are starting again every year (or even 6 months). Weaver, Flood, Webster etc leave and they need to bring somebody else in. No money made from sell ons, nothing really achieved other than 4th or 5th place. No cups won.

You mention Leveins eye for a player, which is in part due to him selling the club to players, that play well and they can move to a bigger club. If they can get to Europe, surely that is another selling point and will attract better players?

Webster, like Ive said, is one of the best CBs in the league, he is key in their defence, and could be important to them getting 3rd/4th. Okay they lose him at the end of the season, but Rangers dont have a recall clause so doesnt disrupt their season midway through (like Flood); Levein will have all summer to bring in a new player.

Dont see anything wrong with loan signings if they are better than what you have. Sure any club would rather have the player signed up, but if you are offered a player whos far better than what you have, even on a loan, do you really turn him down?

sixtwo
14-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I rate webster. He is a good solid defender with experience. Would a bid for him in January be out of the question? Would his wages be too high?

I'm fully aware of his jambo past but i'd still welcome him at ER. After the way he treated hearts, he is hated by the yams now anyway. It would be a good move for us. Ideal cover for Bamba when he is away and would provide excellent competition for places if and when bamba returns.

number 27
14-12-2009, 08:41 PM

I'm sure that when Webster won player of the month it was quoted in the press that the arabs are only paying something like 20-30% of his wage.

The Huns are still paying him something like 7k a week to play for someone else.

Andy74
14-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Exactly my thoughts on loans.

sleeping giant
14-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Who was the last loan signing we had that made an impact ?

Brebner ?

Danderhall Hibs
14-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Brebner ?

Rocastle.

Hibby Bairn
14-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Agathe!

sleeping giant
14-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Agathe!

I thought we signed him on a short term deal.

We got money for him.

joebakerforever
14-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Loan deals between clubs in the same league should be banned! IMHO at least!

BH.

Agree as the OF in particular benefit when the likes of Webster will play against all other teams in the SPL except the Huns.

Unfair advantage imo

AK86
14-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Brebner ?
gary f*****n caldwell was a loan signing
nuff said.damaged goods!!:grr:

magnificent_seven
15-12-2009, 02:18 AM
gary f*****n caldwell was a loan signing
nuff said.damaged goods!!:grr:

He actually played well during his loan spell, when he was just 19 IIRC. That defence was a shambles back then though.

Last loan player I remember having any kind of impact was Craig Rocastle. Shame his career has ended up where it is now, remember him running the show at Parkhead. Think it was the 2-1 game that we somehow managed to lose after dominating most of the game!

Del Boy
15-12-2009, 04:34 PM
it's a good deal for United, they have IMO the best centre half in the SPL for a whole season. For the huns, yeah they get him back fully fit (they hope) and save a bit of money on wages but cant believe they think Weir's a better player.